2021 :plac: life!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

fledonfoot wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:50 pm So does this make me first?
Yas
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Grats, Fled!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Love that view. In4deetz, what are the specs of the new Beep Beep?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Congrats Fled, I like the soft top for best lifestyle experience with a beep-beep. It looks like it will be a fun toy.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:02 am
Thanks!

2021 Rubicon Unlimited, in Chief blue. 2.0T with the 8 speed auto. For 2021 they took away the mild hybrid/etorque setup of the 2.0 and replaced it with auto start/stop.

Cold weather (remote start, heated seats and steering wheel), Safety (LED tails, backup sensors, blind spot monitoring), black soft top, cloth interior and the 7” standard radio. MSRP was $48,555. As a Rubicon it’s pretty well equipped already, so to find one that wasn’t optioned up to near $60k was a surprise.

Wifey’s lease was coming due in a few months and since the accident in the Mini several years ago, she’s made it a point that she wants bright, visible colors so she feels like she’s visible on the road. That said, red is always out, and she wasn’t a fan of Yellow. I showed her this color and she loved it - it’s somewhere between riviera blue and Mexico blue that Porsche offers, and she loves those colors on her dad’s 993 and 991. There is no #2 color choice for her on these things this year.

So with color selected, I found the Islander trim level and found out they offered it with a unique interior with white and blue trim, and a white hardtop. She fell in love with the color even more. I set to work on finding one, and they just don’t exist in that combo. There was one in stock at the Philly area’s shittiest, scummiest Jeep dealer, and other than that only about 8-10 Chief blue JLs in ANY trim level within 100 miles.

I reached out to my sales rep at Jeep who told me dealers aren’t trading vehicles in this area, minimal discounts, and basically pick from inventory. He’s always been a straight shooter and helped me and my father in law out with several purchases in the past. Apex hooked me up with a good friend of his who is a sales mangler at another Jeep store about an hour away. I called him on Friday and he confirmed what my rep said about availability. I asked if we could order one, and it turned out that the order window for Chief blue was only about six weeks or so and the order books were closed. These things are already disappearing quickly.

Of course, whenever my wife wants something that she thinks is cool, it’s never available. It’s always the way.

Apex’s buddy had this rubicon in stock. Right color, but way more equipment than we really need. Once we got her off the hardtop requirement, she was open to the idea. Her dad had a rubicon in 2017 and she loved it, so after getting in touch with Detroit for his help, I had them crunch some numbers.

It was a bit eye watering.

Then we appraised the Renegade and somehow managed to have equity in that thing. After that, things fell into place... after shopping it with a couple banks we ended up at a decent payment on the lease through Ally.

Most of all, she spent all of 2020 working her ass off as an essential worker at Whole Foods. Our only escape is mountain biking, and I took that away from her. We haven’t been able to go back to the UK and probably won’t this year too... so fuck it... what else do we work for? Ultimately this was an emotional purchase all about the color, but she totally deserves this. For once, something she really wants was available so I had to make sure it happened.

I love it. I’ve never been so excited and giddy about a car we’ve had, ever. Its such a stupid, obnoxious, outrageous, ridiculous thing. It’s fucking incredible. It’s worth every single penny and I just don’t care.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:fuckyeah: fled!
So happy that things fell into place for you guys.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:08 am
D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:02 am

Thanks!

2021 Rubicon Unlimited, in Chief blue. 2.0T with the 8 speed auto. For 2021 they took away the mild hybrid/etorque setup of the 2.0 and replaced it with auto start/stop.

Cold weather (remote start, heated seats and steering wheel), Safety (LED tails, backup sensors, blind spot monitoring), black soft top, cloth interior and the 7” standard radio. MSRP was $48,555. As a Rubicon it’s pretty well equipped already, so to find one that wasn’t optioned up to near $60k was a surprise.

Wifey’s lease was coming due in a few months and since the accident in the Mini several years ago, she’s made it a point that she wants bright, visible colors so she feels like she’s visible on the road. That said, red is always out, and she wasn’t a fan of Yellow. I showed her this color and she loved it - it’s somewhere between riviera blue and Mexico blue that Porsche offers, and she loves those colors on her dad’s 993 and 991. There is no #2 color choice for her on these things this year.

So with color selected, I found the Islander trim level and found out they offered it with a unique interior with white and blue trim, and a white hardtop. She fell in love with the color even more. I set to work on finding one, and they just don’t exist in that combo. There was one in stock at the Philly area’s shittiest, scummiest Jeep dealer, and other than that only about 8-10 Chief blue JLs in ANY trim level within 100 miles.

I reached out to my sales rep at Jeep who told me dealers aren’t trading vehicles in this area, minimal discounts, and basically pick from inventory. He’s always been a straight shooter and helped me and my father in law out with several purchases in the past. Apex hooked me up with a good friend of his who is a sales mangler at another Jeep store about an hour away. I called him on Friday and he confirmed what my rep said about availability. I asked if we could order one, and it turned out that the order window for Chief blue was only about six weeks or so and the order books were closed. These things are already disappearing quickly.

Of course, whenever my wife wants something that she thinks is cool, it’s never available. It’s always the way.

Apex’s buddy had this rubicon in stock. Right color, but way more equipment than we really need. Once we got her off the hardtop requirement, she was open to the idea. Her dad had a rubicon in 2017 and she loved it, so after getting in touch with Detroit for his help, I had them crunch some numbers.

It was a bit eye watering.

Then we appraised the Renegade and somehow managed to have equity in that thing. After that, things fell into place... after shopping it with a couple banks we ended up at a decent payment on the lease through Ally.

Most of all, she spent all of 2020 working her ass off as an essential worker at Whole Foods. Our only escape is mountain biking, and I took that away from her. We haven’t been able to go back to the UK and probably won’t this year too... so fuck it... what else do we work for? Ultimately this was an emotional purchase all about the color, but she totally deserves this. For once, something she really wants was available so I had to make sure it happened.

I love it. I’ve never been so excited and giddy about a car we’ve had, ever. Its such a stupid, obnoxious, outrageous, ridiculous thing. It’s fucking incredible. It’s worth every single penny and I just don’t care.
:fuckyeah: :jeep: YOLO

You'll love it, especially when you can throw the top back in the summer. MUCH easier than the hard top.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Well, add me to the list. Got the RAV4 back yesterday, 2 weeks early, and immediately went and traded it in on this:

2019 Chevy Traverse

wap

:ohdang:
Impressions?
Apex

Devilchrono wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:13 pm Well, add me to the list. Got the RAV4 back yesterday, 2 weeks early, and immediately went and traded it in on this:

2019 Chevy Traverse

:butwhy:
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

wap wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:36 pm :ohdang:
Impressions?
So far, so good. Went in on a whim cause they had an 18' Durango and an 18' Traverse we were interested in originally; and we know one of the salesmen personally who knew the history of the Rav. Went in with a budget and pre-approval in mind, with mild expectations of leaving with something tonight. Both the Durango and other Traverse were AWD, this one is FWD, but I'll get to that in a minute. By the time we got there at 5 PM, the Durango was missing from the lot and presumed sold; no big deal, wife wanted the Traverse more. Got the run down of the Traverse and got out on the road with it, and at about 20-30 MPH, the transmission had an odd shudder to it, in both FWD and AWD modes. We liked it, and were gonna overlook it if they could figure it out, but that would've meant leaving empty handed, which was fine. Took the salesmen with us and he agreed, it needed looked at and it was potentially just a software update that needed done, but wasn't comfortable selling it until he knew for sure. Fast forward about 10 minutes, and the wife was like "Lets go test drive one of the FWD ones they have just to compare and see if it shudders too." Enter the 19' in white that you see. Got out on the road with it, and as soon as it didn't shudder, she looks at me and goes: "This is the one, lets make it work."

In my limited time behind the wheel so far, it rides very smooth, has decent power for what it is and the space is fantastic. Wish is had leather, but it's a 1LT instead of a 2LT or 3LT, and that wasn't a deal breaker. There's no issues with the way it shifts, though the stat/stop feature is going to take some getting used to. Even with my 6' ass driving, the passenger behind me has plenty of leg room, which is important. The under floor storage space in the cargo area is great, all our road side assistance stuff is stowed there now. It's got Apple Carplay, so she's used to it since it's just like the Colorado (score one for GM being so similar) and she loves the size and ride height. I'll get more wheel time with it Friday and this weekend, but I'm more than satisfied with it and she's happy, that's all that matters in the end.

For a 'rush' job of looking, we came out fairly well, IMHO. We got about what we expected on trade in for the Rav; as well as a discount and decent pricing on the Traverse given options and it being CPO and purchasing a little more extended warranty since it'll be around for awhile. Best part, to me, is that we were in and out in about 2.5 hours start to finish for going to look on a whim, though having the financing preapproved I'm sure helped on that. I'll write a better, more in-depth review once I've had more seat time in it.

**Bonus** The 3 year old loves it and was like: "IT SEATS 7 DADDY! LOOK AT MOMMIES NEW SUV!" So, I got a chuckle out of that when he got home from the sitters with her in it.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Apex wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:39 pm
Devilchrono wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:13 pm Well, add me to the list. Got the RAV4 back yesterday, 2 weeks early, and immediately went and traded it in on this:

2019 Chevy Traverse

$11k in damage to the Rav's front end, and while it drove fine, wife didn't really feel safe it in or safe enough putting our kid back in it. Make the wife happy, get a new(er) car out of it and we lowered our payment. Not a total win/win situation, but close enough that we're comfortable with it.
Apex

Devilchrono wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:54 pm

$11k in damage to the Rav's front end, and while it drove fine, wife didn't really feel safe it in or safe enough putting our kid back in it. Make the wife happy, get a new(er) car out of it and we lowered our payment. Not a total win/win situation, but close enough that we're comfortable with it.
Lemonade outta lemons!
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

4zilch wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:03 am :plac: ‘d a motorcycle a week ago. Does that count?
No love for motorbike placs :sad:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Devilchrono wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:54 pm

Can't say that I love the Traverse, but if your wife does, that is all that counts. Glad it worked out well for you guys! Nice to not be driving around in an almost totaled car for sure.
wap

Devilchrono wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:52 pm
wap wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:36 pm :ohdang:
Impressions?
So far, so good. Went in on a whim cause they had an 18' Durango and an 18' Traverse we were interested in originally; and we know one of the salesmen personally who knew the history of the Rav. Went in with a budget and pre-approval in mind, with mild expectations of leaving with something tonight. Both the Durango and other Traverse were AWD, this one is FWD, but I'll get to that in a minute. By the time we got there at 5 PM, the Durango was missing from the lot and presumed sold; no big deal, wife wanted the Traverse more. Got the run down of the Traverse and got out on the road with it, and at about 20-30 MPH, the transmission had an odd shudder to it, in both FWD and AWD modes. We liked it, and were gonna overlook it if they could figure it out, but that would've meant leaving empty handed, which was fine. Took the salesmen with us and he agreed, it needed looked at and it was potentially just a software update that needed done, but wasn't comfortable selling it until he knew for sure. Fast forward about 10 minutes, and the wife was like "Lets go test drive one of the FWD ones they have just to compare and see if it shudders too." Enter the 19' in white that you see. Got out on the road with it, and as soon as it didn't shudder, she looks at me and goes: "This is the one, lets make it work."

In my limited time behind the wheel so far, it rides very smooth, has decent power for what it is and the space is fantastic. Wish is had leather, but it's a 1LT instead of a 2LT or 3LT, and that wasn't a deal breaker. There's no issues with the way it shifts, though the stat/stop feature is going to take some getting used to. Even with my 6' ass driving, the passenger behind me has plenty of leg room, which is important. The under floor storage space in the cargo area is great, all our road side assistance stuff is stowed there now. It's got Apple Carplay, so she's used to it since it's just like the Colorado (score one for GM being so similar) and she loves the size and ride height. I'll get more wheel time with it Friday and this weekend, but I'm more than satisfied with it and she's happy, that's all that matters in the end.

For a 'rush' job of looking, we came out fairly well, IMHO. We got about what we expected on trade in for the Rav; as well as a discount and decent pricing on the Traverse given options and it being CPO and purchasing a little more extended warranty since it'll be around for awhile. Best part, to me, is that we were in and out in about 2.5 hours start to finish for going to look on a whim, though having the financing preapproved I'm sure helped on that. I'll write a better, more in-depth review once I've had more seat time in it.

**Bonus** The 3 year old loves it and was like: "IT SEATS 7 DADDY! LOOK AT MOMMIES NEW SUV!" So, I got a chuckle out of that when he got home from the sitters with her in it.
:notbad:
You'll likely be just fine with FWD as I'm guessing you'll never take it farther off road than a badly paved parking lot. FWIW, I prefer cloth to leather 5/7 times, though the easy cleaning aspect of leather with a :baby: can't be denied.

What powertrain?
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

wap wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:25 am
Devilchrono wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:52 pm

You'll likely be just fine with FWD as I'm guessing you'll never take it farther off road than a badly paved parking lot. FWIW, I prefer cloth to leather 5/7 times, though the easy cleaning aspect of leather with a :baby: can't be denied.

What powertrain?
Depending on road trips and stuff, it’ll see quite if but if gravel roads, but will be fine. Anything that I know is gonna be truly off-road, we’ll be in the Colorado anyway.

Power train is the 3.5 V6 and I think the 8spd trans still. It’s got more than enough get you and go for her and she likes the acceleration. The cloth in this should actually be fairly easy to clean and keep clean, just gonna have to stay on top of it too; put that little shop vac I bought for the cars to use this year finally.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:26 am
4zilch wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:25 am

No love for motorbike placs :sad:
:225: hook this guy up with his rightful spot on the :plac: wall of shame.
What say yee, do we count bikes ? Also deets of motorcycle if we collectively say we do
wap

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:30 pm

What powertrain?
Depending on road trips and stuff, it’ll see quite if but if gravel roads, but will be fine. Anything that I know is gonna be truly off-road, we’ll be in the Colorado anyway.

Power train is the 3.5 V6 and I think the 8spd trans still. It’s got more than enough get you and go for her and she likes the acceleration. The cloth in this should actually be fairly easy to clean and keep clean, just gonna have to stay on top of it too; put that little shop vac I bought for the cars to use this year finally.
The 3.5 should be plenty :thisisfine: for her, fo sho. I bet it's a fine road trip vehicle.
Good luck with it!
ChrisoftheNorth

What powertrain?

I think this is a great buy. The Traverse is a solid choice in the segment because it has great space. looks decent, drives quiet, and should be very reliable. It's not the fanciest, but it also feels quality and is just an all around solid family vehicle
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:37 pm

What say yee, do we count bikes ? Also deets of motorcycle if we collectively say we do
Let's see...
Requires a license to legally operate it.
Fast.
Has an ICE that burns fossil fuel. ie, not a bicycle.

I say :yesth:
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:12 pm

I think this is a great buy. The Traverse is a solid choice in the segment because it has great space. looks decent, drives quiet, and should be very reliable. It's not the fanciest, but it also feels quality and is just an all around solid family vehicle
The cloth interior is nice, it was surprisingly quiet for how cavernous it is inside and even with the 3rd row up, it still has good cargo room. For us, it’ll be a great family hauler for the foreseeable future. Next is a bigger truck, hopefully, in the next couple of years.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:37 pm

Of course. Particularly the baller bikes Zilch trades. These are not Bangkok yum yum scooters.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:22 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:12 pm
The cloth interior is nice, it was surprisingly quiet for how cavernous it is inside and even with the 3rd row up, it still has good cargo room. For us, it’ll be a great family hauler for the foreseeable future. Next is a bigger truck, hopefully, in the next couple of years.
GM cloth is actually quite nice...back in the day I saw some thoroughly abused engineering vehicles with cloth interiors that looked great. GM interior material quality isn't the best, but they've REALLY nailed down NVH and quiet/solid feeling vehicles...especially in that C1 platform. The Traverse is also one of the largest in its class, which means excellent storage space even with the 3rd row up as you noted, enabled in large part by the FWD architecture. Sure, towing might be a bit down compared to something RWD, but the space utilization is improved greatly and where you live, AWD is :butwhy: . It's really a great option, and there's a reason GM sells so many of them.