Android Auto/ACP Discussion Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:43 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:28 pm

For a company that makes such :fuckyeah: products, the behind-the-scenes stuff that you've shared here is just such monumental amounts of :wtf: :| :butwhy: :ayfkm: :amaze: :mindblown: :really: :facepalm: :( :nope: :rage: :angry: :fshitup:
it is completely beyond me how the products are so cool. Accident? Maybe Sergio forced them through? It’s baffling to me right now.
Imagine how :mindblown: cool they could be with a 5/7 management/decision making structure
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:51 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:43 pm it is completely beyond me how the products are so cool. Accident? Maybe Sergio forced them through? It’s baffling to me right now.
Imagine how :mindblown: cool they could be with a 5/7 management/decision making structure
I thought this as GM. Saw FCA products and assumed they had to be better.

Instead they’re worse, which I didn’t even think was possible.

:impressive: :disgust:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:56 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:51 pm

Mind boggling.

Imagine the behind-the-scenes shit at Ferd. :gag:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:56 pm

Mind boggling.

Imagine the behind-the-scenes shit at Ferd. :gag:
:hellno: :nope:

A recruiter at Ferd hit me up last week for some job on autonomous vehicles, I told her thanks, but let me know if she goes to a different company.

Didn’t hear back...weird.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:05 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:58 pm

So much :|
I understand how you want to blow your brains out sometimes :lol:
I need to change industries desperately. Too bad the only thing anyone values anymore is digital/software crap. There’s no interest in building actual things now.
Something something automation, artificial intelligence, something something machine learning something keyword
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Of the big 3, I'd probably choose to work at GM. FCA probably has more cool projects and cars, but they also had more facepalms per minute than the other two.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:05 pm
I need to change industries desperately. Too bad the only thing anyone values anymore is digital/software crap. There’s no interest in building actual things now.
Something something automation, artificial intelligence, something something machine learning something keyword
Brought to you by bang energy.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MrH42 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:01 pm Of the big 3, I'd probably choose to work at GM. FCA probably has more cool projects and cars, but they also had more facepalms per minute than the other two.
I just have to wonder about the future of GM and Ford... like what models do they have that are at all desirable or memorable? Hmmm... Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, :truk: (but the RAM, :jeep: , and Japanese :truk: are better). The Blazer looks pretty good.

I don't even think I know the name of a single Chevy vehicle besides Corvette, Camaro, Blazer, Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban and Colorado. Like, they must make other CUVs and compact cars but who even gives a shit?

On the Ford side, the Mustang is cool, Bronco might be cool if it ever comes out, F150 is popular because a lot of people's dad's had them... what else do they even make now?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:07 pm
MrH42 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:01 pm Of the big 3, I'd probably choose to work at GM. FCA probably has more cool projects and cars, but they also had more facepalms per minute than the other two.
I just have to wonder about the future of GM and Ford... like what models do they have that are at all desirable or memorable? Hmmm... Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, :truk: (but the RAM, :jeep: , and Japanese :truk: are better). The Blazer looks pretty good.

I don't even think I know the name of a single Chevy vehicle besides Corvette, Camaro, Blazer, Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban and Colorado. Like, they must make other CUVs and compact cars but who even gives a shit?

On the Ford side, the Mustang is cool, Bronco might be cool if it ever comes out, F150 is popular because a lot of people's dad's had them... what else do they even make now?
The problem is "memorable" vehicles to us don't mean much to the bottom line of car companies. GM's two biggest volume vehicles behind pickups are vehicles you don't even know...the Equinox compact SUV (RAV4 competitor) and the Traverse mid SUV (Highlander competitor). These days as things get more and more expensive to engineer, produce, and sell, volume is king. And volume doesn't come from cool stuff because there just isn't that much of a market.

The real winner will be whoever can figure out how to make a good EV with strong margin. GM has bet the farm on EVs, Ford is going down that path too...that's going to make or break the companies.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:38 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:07 pm

The problem is "memorable" vehicles to us don't mean much to the bottom line of car companies. GM's two biggest volume vehicles behind pickups are vehicles you don't even know...the Equinox compact SUV (RAV4 competitor) and the Traverse mid SUV (Highlander competitor). These days as things get more and more expensive to engineer, produce, and sell, volume is king. And volume doesn't come from cool stuff because there just isn't that much of a market.

The real winner will be whoever can figure out how to make a good EV with strong margin. GM has bet the farm on EVs, Ford is going down that path too...that's going to make or break the companies.
I had a rental Equinox once, it was horrid. I understand that "enthusiast" cars don't sell other than Wranglers, Mustangs, and 911s... but still, you would think that people would just go buy a better thing in whatever segment. Like why get an Equinox when the CX5 exists? Why get a Highlander or Traverse when the Telluride exists?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:38 pm

I had a rental Equinox once, it was horrid. I understand that "enthusiast" cars don't sell other than Wranglers, Mustangs, and 911s... but still, you would think that people would just go buy a better thing in whatever segment. Like why get an Equinox when the CX5 exists? Why get a Highlander or Traverse when the Telluride exists?
You could get the 3.6 in the previous gen Equinox, and it was surprisingly fast. Other than that, the thing was forgettable.

People buy things for a ton of reasons. Brand loyalty and Murica are the biggest drivers for domestic based OEMs, despite the products often being meh.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:57 pm

You could get the 3.6 in the previous gen Equinox, and it was surprisingly fast. Other than that, the thing was forgettable.

People buy things for a ton of reasons. Brand loyalty and Murica are the biggest drivers for domestic based OEMs, despite the products often being meh.
I guess what really amazes me is how people who care nothing about cars are willing to plop down $40K for a very mediocre, quickly depreciating thing. :ohwell:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:03 pm

I guess what really amazes me is how people who care nothing about cars are willing to plop down $40K for a very mediocre, quickly depreciating thing. :ohwell:
I know! If you're spending that much money, wouldn't you do a ton of research and buy the best thing you can for the price? But most people aren't smart consumers.

Also, nobody thinks about spending $40k...they think about spending $400/mo or whatever. Leasing has also gone nuts in the industry, so often it comes down to the cheapest "monthly" which is even more :disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:12 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:05 pm

I know! If you're spending that much money, wouldn't you do a ton of research and buy the best thing you can for the price? But most people aren't smart consumers.

Also, nobody thinks about spending $40k...they think about spending $400/mo or whatever. Leasing has also gone nuts in the industry, so often it comes down to the cheapest "monthly" which is even more :disgust:
:dat:

I did actually love the :jeep: :dillerman: and once they had it in their heads that I was focused on OTD price, they honored my request for that... but in the beginning they just came out with monthly payments and were all like "where do you want the monthly payment to be?" What a weird question... like I want it to be $0, duh. Let's make a deal, $1 down, $0/month for 72 months!
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:12 pm

I did actually love the :jeep: :dillerman: and once they had it in their heads that I was focused on OTD price, they honored my request for that... but in the beginning they just came out with monthly payments and were all like "where do you want the monthly payment to be?" What a weird question... like I want it to be $0, duh. Let's make a deal, $1 down, $0/month for 72 months!
I also had a fantastic experience with the Jeep :dillerman: for our JL. When we took it out for a test drive (which he just threw the keys to us and said "have fun") we got back and he was working some other deal. He saw us walk in and he left the people and did the normal "what do we think" to us. When I told him I wanted $X,XXX below employee, he went and grabbed his manager who handled the deal directly with us with no :bs:

BUT the people he was with when we got back he told us were arguing with him over $5/mo and had been calling him about the car (a used Charger) for over a week over the same $5/mo. He was completely over it, and I get it. That would be terrible, but I can understand why they start with "what do you want your monthly payment to be". He said we were EXTREMELY rare in just trying to get down to a certain price, and that was a large part why they were so accommodating for us in the deal because there was no bs.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:23 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:15 pm

I also had a fantastic experience with the Jeep :dillerman: for our JL. When we took it out for a test drive (which he just threw the keys to us and said "have fun") we got back and he was working some other deal. He saw us walk in and he left the people and did the normal "what do we think" to us. When I told him I wanted $X,XXX below employee, he went and grabbed his manager who handled the deal directly with us with no :bs:

BUT the people he was with when we got back he told us were arguing with him over $5/mo and had been calling him about the car (a used Charger) for over a week over the same $5/mo. He was completely over it, and I get it. That would be terrible, but I can understand why they start with "what do you want your monthly payment to be". He said we were EXTREMELY rare in just trying to get down to a certain price, and that was a large part why they were so accommodating for us in the deal because there was no bs.
Yeah they were totally cool with it once we let them know where we stood.
wap

It's pretty :facepalm: that non- :derp: consumers are :mindblown: to :dillerman. 'Murica

I too had a decent experience when buying the wife's H. Asked for, and got, their best OTD price via text, went in and test drove it (also alone) then signed the dox and off we went. I was expecting, because H is generally a lower priced product, and, I assume, largely sold to poors, more :dillerman: shenanigans, but the dude was straight up decent. And he was an older dude, too. :impressive:

My :bs: experience with Phil the Cock at the :doge: :tubeman: when buying the Blue Meanie was well documented in my car thread. But that ended up being ok once they realized I wouldn't play the :bs: game and we quickly ended up pretty much where I wanted to be on the total price.