Jeeponomics 201: Toledo Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

So was I :notwrong: when saying stick to oem
And avoid Chinese off brand lights ... the mopar kit is not that expensive especially since we’re dealing with a brand new 50k :Jeep:

But yea :wrong: :howdareyou:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:55 am So was I :notwrong: when saying stick to oem
And avoid Chinese off brand lights ... the mopar kit is not that expensive especially since we’re dealing with a brand new 50k :Jeep:

FWIW, they’re not marketed as Chinese off brand pieces and sold by a fairly well respected and established company based in California that sells lots of off road products for several models and makes.

The OEM pieces require significant wiring installation and coding at the dealership to function. These are marketed as a plug and play alternative at a premium over Amazon/eBay Chinese crap at $200/set.

I figured a $750 reproduction set should have good quality, at about 60% the price of OEM by the wiring install and dealer visits are factored in. Premium aftermarket lights by companies like Depo and Helix are usually solid buys for Japanese and German cars. I could chalk the first set up as shipping damage without a problem, but two sets back to back isn’t acceptable so back they go.
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:45 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:55 am So was I :notwrong: when saying stick to oem

FWIW, they’re not marketed as Chinese off brand pieces and sold by a fairly well respected and established company based in California that sells lots of off road products for several models and makes.

The OEM pieces require significant wiring installation and coding at the dealership to function. These are marketed as a plug and play alternative at a premium over Amazon/eBay Chinese crap at $200/set.

I figured a $750 reproduction set should have good quality, at about 60% the price of OEM by the wiring install and dealer visits are factored in. Premium aftermarket lights by companies like Depo and Helix are usually solid buys for Japanese and German cars. I could chalk the first set up as shipping damage without a problem, but two sets back to back isn’t acceptable so back they go.
10-4 I was just sharing my experience with you. I did the aftermarket lights on the golf... and they were still not quite oem quality especially up front with the clear coat coming off 2 years after install.
Also the turn signal bulb burned out in them requiring bumper removal to fix. Also the only bulb to have failed on the golf.

And a few other things like exhaust etc, I have yet to get an aftermarket product that is superior to oem.
My tonneau cover had issues on the taco and it is super well reviewed, and from a reputable co
Borla exhaust on GTI minor issues

No issues on JCW oem exhaust fit flawlessly, in comparison .

The list is endless. So I’m just sticking to Oem from now on.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:02 pm

10-4 I was just sharing my experience with you. I did the aftermarket lights on the golf... and they were still not quite oem quality especially up front with the clear coat coming off 2 years after install.
Also the turn signal bulb burned out in them requiring bumper removal to fix. Also the only bulb to have failed on the golf.

And a few other things like exhaust etc, I have yet to get an aftermarket product that is superior to oem.
My tonneau cover had issues on the taco and it is super well reviewed, and from a reputable co

OEM costs more for a reason.

Problem is, as Fled pointed out, there's so much integration with the vehicle that the costs to install OEM parts can balloon quickly. That's just going to be an increasing problem as cars get more digital.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Apex wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:04 am
SAWCE wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:33 pm

Pics or :gtfo:

Looks factory quality, nice man!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Shocks. Aftermarket shocks are far superior to OEM chinese shit.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:11 pm

:iono: I am running Factory Fox shocks and my JCW shocks are great also.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:12 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:11 pm

:iono: I am running Factory Fox shocks and my JCW shocks are great also.
Some are great but generally better is available if you're willing to pay for it. Just some counterpoint to your point (although yours is also valid, OEM is obviously the most tested and generally reliable choice).

But I've had some good aftermarket experience:

Bilstein >>> OEM
Sparco seats are better than OEM in most respects and bolt in without any modification/fabrication
I've bought two Borla systems, both made the vehicles way better and both were easier to install than OEM exhaust (granted OEM would likely needn't have been replaced ever)
Bosch oil pressure sensor on the C5 >>> longevity than OEM
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Dumb luck had me come across some spacers for the front seats of the JT/JL! Much excite for this revelation and if shipping works I mayyyyy have them for next weekend.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:00 pm
Apex wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:10 pm Dumb luck had me come across some spacers for the front seats of the JT/JL! Much excite for this revelation and if shipping works I mayyyyy have them for next weekend.
Spacers?
Ja.

https://desertdoesit.com/products/2018- ... at-jackers
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:28 pm
Oh! I have those on the Taco, they’re 5/7 and a total game changer.
:fuckyeah:
Apex

The JT is a long flat vehicle and I thought it could use a little something on the sides for some character. The area between the rear door and the bed really felt like something was missing to me...

So I did something stupid and had these custom made and applied yesterday.

Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:36 am I dig it.

Needs 35s now. :trollface:
:notwrong:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Apex wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:22 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:00 pm

Spacers?
Ja.

https://desertdoesit.com/products/2018- ... at-jackers
How did these turn out? I’d love to throw something like this on mine. Doesn’t look like this brand has a JK version doe :( wonder if these would still fit or what’s different about how the seat is mounted.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:31 am
How did these turn out? I’d love to throw something like this on mine. Doesn’t look like this brand has a JK version doe :( wonder if these would still fit or what’s different about how the seat is mounted.
They should be delivered tomorrow. I’ll let you know how they work out!
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:10 am The JT is a long flat vehicle and I thought it could use a little something on the sides for some character. The area between the rear door and the bed really felt like something was missing to me...

Agreed 100% on needing something for character, especially in that area. Nice work!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Also, I'm out of the loop...but does the sasquatch represent anything secret? I've thought about putting a small decal in the back window of my last few trucks because I think it's neat (plus, a few friends call me sasquatch), but I feel like there's an inside joke or something that I don't know?
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:39 am Also, I'm out of the loop...but does the sasquatch represent anything secret? I've thought about putting a small decal in the back window of my last few trucks because I think it's neat (plus, a few friends call me sasquatch), but I feel like there's an inside joke or something that I don't know?
Nah, I’ve just named my JT “Abominable” after the abominable snowman. The yeti/squatch thing just goes with that.

That guy is in the lower right corner of the back window. :iono: I think it’s fun.

Edit: Munchkin picked that out at REI so I obviously had to put it on. :lol:
SAWCE

Oh dang, didn’t even notice the Sasquatch on the mountain. That’s really sick. Cool design man. Looks great.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:32 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:31 am

They should be delivered tomorrow. I’ll let you know how they work out!
Sweet! Thanks dude! Hope you like them. If so, I’ll email the company and get some deets on if they’ll fit mine or if they plan on making a set that will work for the JK.
SAWCE

Looks like I’ve got this kit as an option too..

https://www.ohiodieselparts.com/product ... -2007-2017

I’ll browse around for some others and see what seems best.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:52 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:39 am Also, I'm out of the loop...but does the sasquatch represent anything secret? I've thought about putting a small decal in the back window of my last few trucks because I think it's neat (plus, a few friends call me sasquatch), but I feel like there's an inside joke or something that I don't know?
Nah, I’ve just named my JT “Abominable” after the abominable snowman. The yeti/squatch thing just goes with that.

That guy is in the lower right corner of the back window. :iono: I think it’s fun.

Edit: Munchkin picked that out at REI so I obviously had to put it on. :lol:
Nice, love it.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:11 am Oh dang, didn’t even notice the Sasquatch on the mountain. That’s really sick. Cool design man. Looks great.
That was the idea behind the squatch on the mountain! I wanted it to not jump out but be a cool little piece.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:47 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:11 am Oh dang, didn’t even notice the Sasquatch on the mountain. That’s really sick. Cool design man. Looks great.
That was the idea behind the squatch on the mountain! I wanted it to not jump out but be a cool little piece.
Love it!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:10 am The JT is a long flat vehicle and I thought it could use a little something on the sides for some character. The area between the rear door and the bed really felt like something was missing to me...

Dude, this is awesome!

That is my one complaint with JT, it's so long and slab sided, it just feels like something is... missing? This really fixes it, looks excellent.