Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:27 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:51 pm Also drove a GT3 on a "track" last weekend in Vegas... Very interesting experience. Surprisingly reminded me the most of my M3.... Kinda made me realize how :nice: that car was for the money. Comp packaged M3s are monsters...

8K rpm in the Porsche is quite epic.
Sounds awesome, man! What was the 'track' like? The Ferrari 430 'track experience' I did was mega lame.

I would love to get down to the Porsche experience in Atlanta at some point, it seems like you actually get a lot of good seat time/instruction for a somewhat reasonable cost.
I hit 140mph on the straight... "speed vegas". I liked the track, minor slalom ... big straight and a few tight corkscrews. With an instructor who was super excellent.

https://speedvegas.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwz ... _UQAvD_BwE
Last edited by max225 on Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:26 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:24 pm
That's an interesting one... prolly future classic.
:dat:

Breh should buy one actually.
Right after dumping by Vette funds on this we're down to a quite reasonable level.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:59 pm

CT5 Blackwing :manuel:
It's an instant collectible since they'll sell very few, I'm sure.

My dad's :manuel: Vagon is worth more than MSRP 8 years ago according to Carvana.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:30 pm

Sounds awesome, man! What was the 'track' like? The Ferrari 430 'track experience' I did was mega lame.

I would love to get down to the Porsche experience in Atlanta at some point, it seems like you actually get a lot of good seat time/instruction for a somewhat reasonable cost.
I hit 140mph on the straight... "speed vegas". I liked the track, minor slalom ... big straight and a few tight corkscrews. With an instructor who was super excellent.

That is pretty awesome, seems like an actual legitimate track experience. I am always a bit worried that such things will be :flaccid: after a decent amount of track time with basically zero restrictions.

10/10 on track in a C5 is more fun than 6/10 on a track in a 488.

Not all of these experiences are created equal though, Speed Vegas looks to be 5/7.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:31 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:26 pm

:dat:

Breh should buy one actually.
Right after dumping by Vette funds on this we're down to a quite reasonable level.
:doit:

It honestly seems to check all of the boxes for what you enjoy and it's not going to depreciate, almost can't afford not to buy one.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:50 pm
It's an instant collectible since they'll sell very few, I'm sure.

My dad's :manuel: Vagon is worth more than MSRP 8 years ago according to Carvana.
Anything V8 /N/A RWD and manual is worth it's weight in gold now... multiply by 2 if wagon.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:46 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:57 pm The Z06 vert is very, very hot.
And also a great example of how everyone isn't jumping into electric pods.

Just announced in the past weeks/months:
670 HP NA high reving screamer mid engine badfuckingass Corvette Z0sex
MANUAL ONLY Honda Civic Si and Type R
Natty BRZ/GR86 delivering on everything automotive journalists and car bros wanted
Nissan 400Z with a fuckload of power from a gas engine through a manual trans/the rear wheels
Brand new WRX with an STI coming - both ICE/manual
New GTI/R with ICE/manual

Also rumored:
Mid engine Hyundai, GR Corolla, I'm sure I'm forgetting things...
Integra, too.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:55 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:46 pm

And also a great example of how everyone isn't jumping into electric pods.

Just announced in the past weeks/months:
670 HP NA high reving screamer mid engine badfuckingass Corvette Z0sex
MANUAL ONLY Honda Civic Si and Type R
Natty BRZ/GR86 delivering on everything automotive journalists and car bros wanted
Nissan 400Z with a fuckload of power from a gas engine through a manual trans/the rear wheels
Brand new WRX with an STI coming - both ICE/manual
New GTI/R with ICE/manual

Also rumored:
Mid engine Hyundai, GR Corolla, I'm sure I'm forgetting things...
Integra, too.
True. I’m guessing it will just be an automatic Type R in a suit though, but we shall see.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:04 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:30 pm

That is pretty awesome, seems like an actual legitimate track experience. I am always a bit worried that such things will be :flaccid: after a decent amount of track time with basically zero restrictions.

Not all of these experiences are created equal though, Speed Vegas looks to be 5/7.
I was surprised to hit 5th gear considering these cars are “notoriously” long legged. It was a dsgay (pdk), which btw I still don’t like even in Porsche form for DD duties. I felt it being clunky at low speeds, even with only 2600 miles on that gt3. Obviously at speed it super fast blah blah, but I can’t say it was much better than the dct in the bmw. Surprisingly similar experience as far as shifting was concerned.

Curious if anyone is curious about it … I can write up a longer thread if anyone is genuinely curious.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:25 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:55 pm
Integra, too.
True. I’m guessing it will just be an automatic Type R in a suit though, but we shall see.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3796 ... nsmission/
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:09 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:25 pm

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3796 ... nsmission/
:nice: That is pretty cool!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:22 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:04 pm

I was surprised to hit 5th gear considering these cars are “notoriously” long legged. It was a dsgay (pdk), which btw I still don’t like even in Porsche form for DD duties. I felt it being clunky at low speeds, even with only 2600 miles on that gt3. Obviously at speed it super fast blah blah, but I can’t say it was much better than the dct in the bmw. Surprisingly similar experience as far as shifting was concerned.

Curious if anyone is curious about it … I can write up a longer thread if anyone is genuinely curious.
I would be curious about the car and the experience. I'd say I'm likely to one day do an experience like that, doubt I'll ever own a GT3, maybe a lower level Cayman/Boxster/911 one day :doe:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:51 pm Also drove a GT3 on a "track" last weekend in Vegas... Very interesting experience. Surprisingly reminded me the most of my M3.... Kinda made me realize how :nice: that car was for the money. Comp packaged M3s are monsters...

8K rpm in the Porsche is quite epic.

I did a F430 Scuderia "track experience" at the now infamous Walt Disney World Speedway like a month or two before the instructor was killed in a Gallardo. It was pretty lame. I was lapping the FOGs in Audi R8s and GTRs and stuff. I was surprised how much money those dudes were spending, only to go so slow.

I also did the Porsche Atlanta track thing. I did the GT3 vs Turbo experience. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just done the full time in the GT3. They used to offer that as a package, but it looks like they got rid of it. :( I'd probably do the full session in the Carrera S manual now if given the choice, or the 718 GT4. Seems like the best bang for the buck.

I did the first half in the turbo. The second I took off in the GT3, I looked at the instructor and asked why anyone bought the turbo. The launches were really cool, but everything else, the GT3 is a better car in every way.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MrH42 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:29 am

I did a F430 Scuderia "track experience" at the now infamous Walt Disney World Speedway like a month or two before the instructor was killed in a Gallardo. It was pretty lame. I was lapping the FOGs in Audi R8s and GTRs and stuff. I was surprised how much money those dudes were spending, only to go so slow.

I also did the Porsche Atlanta track thing. I did the GT3 vs Turbo experience. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just done the full time in the GT3. They used to offer that as a package, but it looks like they got rid of it. :( I'd probably do the full session in the Carrera S manual now if given the choice, or the 718 GT4. Seems like the best bang for the buck.

I did the first half in the turbo. The second I took off in the GT3, I looked at the instructor and asked why anyone bought the turbo. The launches were really cool, but everything else, the GT3 is a better car in every way.
As far as turbo versus GT3 that certainly seems to line up with everything the auto journalists say. I guess if you're an influencer or something, more power is better. If you actually give a shit about cars, the better driving car is better.

Would you do the experience again/was it worth the money? Do you think it would be a letdown for someone with like 30 track days under their belt?

I did the Lotus experience with the supercharged Elise in the UK. The car was amazing and the experience was really great, it was real track time going all out. I think it's pretty worth the $800 considering you would spend close to that on one track day in your own car when you factor in track fees, gas, maintenance/consumables, etc. and you also run the risk of a four figure fuckup. I wouldn't buy flights somewhere just for that, but if you're already there, yes.
max225

Vroom is offering $51,674 for my taco. Debating on taking it...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:14 pm Vroom is offering $51,674 for my taco. Debating on taking it...
Holy hell. Why wouldn't you? If you don't really need it, take the money and run. These values are going to start going down as production ramps up across the industry.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:34 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:14 pm Vroom is offering $51,674 for my taco. Debating on taking it...
Holy hell. Why wouldn't you? If you don't really need it, take the money and run. These values are going to start going down as production ramps up across the industry.
Is this actually happening?

I agree, $51K on the Taco is compelling. How much was it new?

I would sell it and drive the MINI/Acura for the time being if you don't want to Taco for the long haul.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:36 pm

I would sell it and drive the MINI/Acura for the time being if you don't want to Taco for the long haul.
Well, I should say that it's not even necessarily production, but shipping vehicles to dealers. On my way to Detroit, I drove past the GM HD truck plant in Flint. The parking lot around the plant is completely full of new trucks, and about 5 miles past the plant was a field with brand new trucks parked for as far as I could see. They're waiting on chips, and those chips are being installed now from what I've heard. And this isn't unique to GM, a number of OEMs have been building vehicles without features to be added later so plants aren't shut down. Once those things are released, a lot of the inventory issues we see at dealers will subside quickly...assuming they can find trucks to deliver the vehicles.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:48 am
MrH42 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:29 am

As far as turbo versus GT3 that certainly seems to line up with everything the auto journalists say. I guess if you're an influencer or something, more power is better. If you actually give a shit about cars, the better driving car is better.

Would you do the experience again/was it worth the money? Do you think it would be a letdown for someone with like 30 track days under their belt?

I did the Lotus experience with the supercharged Elise in the UK. The car was amazing and the experience was really great, it was real track time going all out. I think it's pretty worth the $800 considering you would spend close to that on one track day in your own car when you factor in track fees, gas, maintenance/consumables, etc. and you also run the risk of a four figure fuckup. I wouldn't buy flights somewhere just for that, but if you're already there, yes.

Yeah, I'd say it's worth it. They break it up into different sections. There's like a little drag area where you learn to launch the car. It's cool in the Turbo S, just because it's such a violent launch. There's a wet skid pad where they try to teach you how to slide the car around a big circle. I will say, sliding rear engine stuff feels really really weird if you're not used to it. Driving near the limit feels much more natural, but wet slides are hard. There's also a wet kick plate, where the ass end gets thrown one way and you have to catch it and recover. They show you how well the stability control works too of course.

Quite a bit of track time, with an actual Porsche instructor in the passenger seat. The limits were way higher than I had the balls to go in certain areas. It's a relatively tight track, with walls and no run off anywhere. There was a double apex the instructor kept telling me I could go flat out the whole time, I just couldn't get the self preservation in my brain to do it.
max225

I don’t need it or the money to be honest. Not sure what I’d do with the extra 52k…

I really like the taco after all it was our honeymoon vehicle etc… came in a special color/trim etc. having a tough time with the decision as I’m a bit emotional about it.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:36 pm

51.7 vs 53k after tax which is what I paid.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:44 pm
I don’t need it or the money to be honest. Not sure what I’d do with the extra 52k…

I really like the taco after all it was our honeymoon vehicle etc… came in a special color/trim etc. having a tough time with the decision as I’m a bit emotional about it.
Well, that's the other thing. If you don't need the money and still like the thing, keep it. But know this is a once in lifetime opportunity to off a vehicle for nearly what you paid OTD. It's the get out of jail free card all of us enthusiasts have wanted for years.

Pocket the 52k and buy a Lambo or something in a year. I've been browsing V8 R8's lately.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:55 pm

Well, that's the other thing. If you don't need the money and still like the thing, keep it. But know this is a once in lifetime opportunity to off a vehicle for nearly what you paid OTD. It's the get out of jail free card all of us enthusiasts have wanted for years.

Pocket the 52k and buy a Lambo or something in a year. I've been browsing V8 R8's lately.
:megusta: :jimp: :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:06 pm

:megusta: :jimp: :like:
They're not astronomically expensive, has been a dream car for a while especially with the gated :manuel: . Keeping all options open right now, but will probably end up doing nothing :doe: One car lyfe is working too well and saves too much money.
max225

Funny story I was supposed to drive the R8 V10 instead of the GT3 but the brakes failed on it … so I never got the chance. I do really like those cars. But I think my “next” purchase will likely be a defender or an EV. Until the mini or the tsx disappears