Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I mean... I am far from the target market but it looks awesome. Seems like a no brainer from buying a Model S from a con man that is now basically a CRV or Camry in terms of perception. All of the Tessies look exactly the same so a $100K Model S blends in with the dozens of Tessies now littering every road in any major city.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:39 am
wap wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:32 am One thing I think Lucid has going for it, per the article I posted above, is the fact that it built a brand new factory that is staffed with former auto manufacturing people with decades of experience.

From said article. Italics are mine:

It remains to be seen, of course, if they make a go of it, and what they're saying may end being a bunch of :bs: . But damn, this is a handsome car, much better looking than a Model 3, imo.
What remains to be seen is how many :waxer: s are willing to drop $100k+ on these things. Sure they look great, they HAVE to for that price. But to build an entirely new plant to produce 20k units per year is an epic waste, profitability is :notsure: at best.

Curious what other value oriented products in the pipeline will actually see production. Or maybe cars will just be for the rich.
I quoted this last night:
Obviously, six-figure luxury sedans aren’t a growth industry. So they’ll soon be joined by far more affordable versions, including next year’s single-motor Air Pure, with 480 horsepower and roughly 406 miles of range for $78,900. That’s about $12,000 less than a Model S Long Range, or $24,000 less than a Mercedes-Benz EQS with 151 fewer horsepower and a mere 350-mile range. And that’s for the least-powerful Lucid with the shortest battery range.
There's also an SUV scheduled for 2023.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:01 pm I mean... I am far from the target market but it looks awesome. Seems like a no brainer from buying a Model S from a con man that is now basically a CRV or Camry in terms of perception. All of the Tessies look exactly the same so a $100K Model S blends in with the dozens of Tessies now littering every road in any major city.
:dat:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:01 pm I mean... I am far from the target market but it looks awesome. Seems like a no brainer from buying a Model S from a con man that is now basically a CRV or Camry in terms of perception. All of the Tessies look exactly the same so a $100K Model S blends in with the dozens of Tessies now littering every road in any major city.
Totally agree. If you are a 100K electric car guy your car needs to say "look at me" and no Tesla does that anymore.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:50 pm
MrH42 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:25 am New Civic Si looks decent. If it stays cheap, that's an even better deal.
Looks great, IMO. Interior looks awesome.

Shame it's not available as a hatch, :doe:
:dat:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MrH42 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:25 am New Civic Si looks decent. If it stays cheap, that's an even better deal.

Doesn’t the hatch look like a cross tour? The new gen doesn’t do much for me
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I think the exterior is clean. I’m not in love with it, but it’s handsome. The interior I do love

I can’t say I really care about the hatch either way, sedans work fine.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:03 pm I think the exterior is clean. I’m not in love with it, but it’s handsome. The interior I do love

Give me hatchback or give me death !
*manuel only
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:29 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:03 pm I think the exterior is clean. I’m not in love with it, but it’s handsome. The interior I do love

*manuel only
Now the :manuel: is a hill I’ll die on. Civic is available in manual in a bunch of trims though!

I am honestly kind of intrigued with the manual NA 2.0.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

[user not found] wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:22 am

*manuel only
Well, I've created a monster with the wife. :manuel: hatchbacks only for her.

Sedans are a no-fly zone.
:fuckyeah:

The woman here has zero interest in driving :manuel: It's good in that no one drives my car, but bad because we always have to have an auto in the house, and we have to take it if there's a chance she's driving.
wap

*manuel only

:fuckyeah: :impressive: :tits:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

*manuel only

Same! Except for the :manuel: part, and it needs to be lifted :trollface:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

But the type R might.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:09 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:20 pm

Doesn’t the hatch look like a cross tour? The new gen doesn’t do much for me
I mean, yeah, but that's because the Crosstour is a hatchback. :iono:

The last gen Civic was a bit too... childish for me. This is how Hondas should look. Timeless.
agreed, the new civic looks hell of a lot better, both sedan and hatch. Plus the current accord too, the last gen was ok-ish.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:34 pm

Same! Except for the :manuel: part, and it needs to be lifted :trollface:
Same! :sissyfight:
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

I'm more intrigued by the new Integra, but I am glad Honda has turned back the Fast n Furious dial in their design department for the new Civic.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

The hatch certainly has the bubble butt look of the cross tour. The rest of it looks like an updated 2013 Accord. Which is fine but hardly exciting or unique. Seen a few in my hood and they look decent enough but totally forgettable and easily confused with a Jetta.

Interior looks better for sure. Should be a nice daily driver / commuter car. And the 2.slow seems peppy enough given what the cars intent is.

Honda tho. My mom just got an Insight. Rated at 55 city 49 highway and it’s averaging 47.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:23 am The hatch certainly has the bubble butt look of the cross tour. The rest of it looks like an updated 2013 Accord. Which is fine but hardly exciting or unique. Seen a few in my hood and they look decent enough but totally forgettable and easily confused with a Jetta.

Interior looks better for sure. Should be a nice daily driver / commuter car. And the 2.slow seems peppy enough given what the cars intent is.

Honda tho. My mom just got an Insight. Rated at 55 city 49 highway and it’s averaging 47.
Honda is clearly chasing marketing MPG numbers, and not real world. Makes it all :butwhy: IMO, but yet here it is. The brand continues to be insanely strong.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

The more that time goes on, the more I covet a GR86. I think I may :doit: in a year or so, if they are available without shortages :bs:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:44 pm The more that time goes on, the more I covet a GR86. I think I may :doit: in a year or so, if they are available without shortages :bs:
You should. It's the only fun car remotely of interest to me, and most likely the last of its kind. Sports cars will just be for the rich very soon. :|
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:07 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:44 pm The more that time goes on, the more I covet a GR86. I think I may :doit: in a year or so, if they are available without shortages :bs:
You should. It's the only fun car remotely of interest to me, and most likely the last of its kind. Sports cars will just be for the rich very soon. :|
:iono: seems a bit of a pessimistic view to me... the Miata ain't going anywhere, the Mustang likely isn't, there will always be used Corvettes, etc.

We're just in a weird valley of car history that is kind of shitty as far as affordability goes with shortages and whatnot. I do think something as raw as the 86 isn't too long for the world :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:26 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:07 pm
:iono: seems a bit of a pessimistic view to me... the Miata ain't going anywhere, the Mustang likely isn't, there will always be used Corvettes, etc.

We're just in a weird valley of car history that is kind of shitty as far as affordability goes with shortages and whatnot. I do think something as raw as the 86 isn't too long for the world :doe:
Sports cars ~$30k MSRP are just done. Mustang 4cyl, Camaro is all but dead, Miata will be around until CAFE kills it, but then it's just stuff like GTI, WRX, Si, etc and even those are quickly cresting $30k.

But there's very few sportscars left, and with that will be an increase in used value because there's no new to "replace" them. Indeed hard to speculate now because the market makes no sense, but it'll be very :popcorn: the next few years.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:55 pm

Sports cars ~$30k MSRP are just done. Mustang 4cyl, Camaro is all but dead, Miata will be around until CAFE kills it, but then it's just stuff like GTI, WRX, Si, etc and even those are quickly cresting $30k.

But there's very few sportscars left, and with that will be an increase in used value because there's no new to "replace" them. Indeed hard to speculate now because the market makes no sense, but it'll be very :popcorn: the next few years.
I can't believe you used SI, GTI and sportscar in the same sentence. WRX barely gets a pass.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:55 pm

That is certainly true, but the reality is that many of the "$30K sports cars" are still around and inflation is just a bitch. Mustang GT, Nissan Z car, Miata. The last time there was really something like the GR86 was maybe the Nissan 240SX? It may go away and then people will cry about it and eventually another company will try it out.

$40K is the average new car cost, and at that point, you can get a bunch of sporty stuff (maybe this year and its markups taken out of the equation).

Still :doe: , the GR86 is worth every penny and more and is very possibly a future classic/end of an era thing, like an S2000 was.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:34 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:23 am The hatch certainly has the bubble butt look of the cross tour. The rest of it looks like an updated 2013 Accord. Which is fine but hardly exciting or unique. Seen a few in my hood and they look decent enough but totally forgettable and easily confused with a Jetta.

Honda is clearly chasing marketing MPG numbers, and not real world. Makes it all :butwhy: IMO, but yet here it is. The brand continues to be insanely strong.
It’s probably just the hybrids. Their hybrid system is not good on the highway and really only shines between like 30 and 50 MPH steady state driving.