Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

RLWake wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:56 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:52 pm

Also in Trumps voice, and God Bless to United Schtastes
"I love the Jhinese people. Nobody loves the Jhinese people more than I do. They do really great things with their BMW's. tremendous things you should see them."
:dat:

Speaking of which, I'm currently reading The "Too much and never enough" written by Trump's niece. So much :mindblown:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

You know what’s really depressing?

I still have a year of college before I have a master’s degree and disposable income. Feels like every car I’m interested in right now for a project is going up in value to be not such a good deal anymore. Latest example... when the hell did it become true that a decent E30 costs $15k+??? I’m seeing listings all over the place for well maintained E30’s with some new parts but 150,000 miles for like $15,000 and up. What the hell? Way less lucrative nowadays. I don’t want these kinds of things to get so expensive that they dont make sense to buy in the near future :(
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

RLWake wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:39 am You know what’s really depressing?

I still have a year of college before I have a master’s degree and disposable income. Feels like every car I’m interested in right now for a project is going up in value to be not such a good deal anymore. Latest example... when the hell did it become true that a decent E30 costs $15k+??? I’m seeing listings all over the place for well maintained E30’s with some new parts but 150,000 miles for like $15,000 and up. What the hell? Way less lucrative nowadays. I don’t want these kinds of things to get so expensive that they dont make sense to buy in the near future :(
Get an E46 or E90 they are still dirt cheap. e30s have been ragged to shit for decades. So nice ones are starting to be collectors vehicles
max225

So my buddy with the R56 got really pissed at it ...
in the 2 1/2 years he’s had it:

First it was the timing chain that was replaced.
Then the cooling system shat a brick at 50k miles, shredding some belts on the way also... big $3500 bill
To the warranty co and he didn’t have a car for 2 weeks.

Now ... clutch failed, a few suspension pieces are worn out and a few other things ... car has 68k miles $4k repair bill. Almost 10k in repairs before 70k miles

He :nope: d out and has a deposit on a 2008 cayman :manuel:

I’m curious how that’s gonna go
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

max225 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:27 pm So my buddy with the R56 got really pissed at it ...

Then the cooling system shat a brick at 50k miles, shredding some belts on the way also... big $3500 bill

Now ... clutch failed, a few suspension pieces are worn out and a few other things ... car has 68k miles $4k repair bill. Almost 10k in repairs before 70k miles

Hard to go wrong on a :manuel: Cayman... especially a 987 if it’s in good shape.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
max225

RLWake wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:22 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:27 pm So my buddy with the R56 got really pissed at it ...

Hard to go wrong on a :manuel: Cayman... especially a 987 if it’s in good shape.
18k miles ... supposedly with records but through shift
max225

[user not found] wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:09 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:51 pm

18k miles ... supposedly with records but through shift
Hope he got a PPI done and got it borescoped.

Otherwise, he might have a bad time.
Told him about the whole "cylinder scoring" crap. But we shall see. He said he would PPI
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Pre-IMS fix as well :popcorn:

Dude should get a Corvette, Civic Si , Miata, etc. if he doesn’t like the Mini reliability :lolol:
max225

D Griff wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:46 pm

Dude should get a Corvette, Civic Si , Miata, etc. if he doesn’t like the Mini reliability :lolol:
2 days ago he was just going to roll in the mini... yesterday he "sold it in 4 hrs" today he bought a porsche.

Some people don't :hibachi:
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

AFAIK the 987 and 997 motors with the M97 engine dont have IMS issues. Just 986 and 996.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

RLWake wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:13 pm https://youtu.be/dTqz1pv586s

dat m60 :megusta: e34's are one of my fav BMW's
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Guys need some input here...

The 12v charge ports in the Cmax never worked. I investigated this a few months back and found the fuse (20amp!) blown. So I replaced it and things were fine.

Fast forward to last week. I’m trying to charge my phone since I’m living out of the damn car with this training I’m in. Realized there’s a metal screw wedged in the 12v socket. Ah! The culprit! So I get my screwdriver and have to pry the fuck out of it but eventually wedge it out. The 12v shorted in the process and sparked. Smelled like burning electronics for a second.

Oh well whatever. Well. The last few days I’ve noticed the big ass hybrid battery is totally dead in the morning regardless of what charge state it was in when I left it. So I went back to that fuse which was blown and pulled it.

What do I check next? Should I rip the center console apart to look for a short at that 12v socket? It’s de energized since I pulled the fuse though.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Probably burned a couple wires and it is causing a short that is causing a draw. I would pull the center console to investigate.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

RLWake wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:35 pm

AFAIK the 987 and 997 motors with the M97 engine dont have IMS issues. Just 986 and 996.
:wrong: it wasn't fixed until MY 2009+ cars.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:44 am Guys need some input here...

The 12v charge ports in the Cmax never worked. I investigated this a few months back and found the fuse (20amp!) blown. So I replaced it and things were fine.

Fast forward to last week. I’m trying to charge my phone since I’m living out of the damn car with this training I’m in. Realized there’s a metal screw wedged in the 12v socket. Ah! The culprit! So I get my screwdriver and have to pry the fuck out of it but eventually wedge it out. The 12v shorted in the process and sparked. Smelled like burning electronics for a second.

Oh well whatever. Well. The last few days I’ve noticed the big ass hybrid battery is totally dead in the morning regardless of what charge state it was in when I left it. So I went back to that fuse which was blown and pulled it.

What do I check next? Should I rip the center console apart to look for a short at that 12v socket? It’s de energized since I pulled the fuse though.
Does the hybrid component battery still exist ? I would try to check that. Does that fuse have other components on the circuit per the manuel ?
I would doubt that the Hybrid battery and the 12V are on the same circuit they tend to be separate.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:46 pm

Does the hybrid component battery still exist ? I would try to check that. Does that fuse have other components on the circuit per the manuel ?
I would doubt that the Hybrid battery and the 12V are on the same circuit they tend to be separate.
That fuse only has the cig lighters on it apparently. I think the prior comment of shorting in the wiring is spot on and will need to do some investigation.

The hybrid battery trickle charges the 12v battery. The car can essentially jump start itself. So if the 12v is shorting to ground it will eventually deplete the big hybrid battery.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Do some digging into a parasitic drain. You have a good place to start with the 12v cigarette lighter.

You can always replace the lighter, it's a pretty generic part available at any auto parts store.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:07 pm

:( TIL
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:07 pm

Someone bought the 08 from under him ... now he is getting an 07 with 48k miles ... sight unseen :mindblown: :fullretard:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:48 pm If there's a short at the 12V, it should've blown the fuse again - I assume it didn't?
It did blow it. But since pulling that blown fuse the battery hasn’t had the same draining issues. So I dunno what’s going on there.
Johnny_P

Nevermind it was dead again this morning. Something bigger going on I think. Cmax forums are littered with this, just some auxiliary system not turning off or going to “sleep” after a certain amount of time from turning the car off.

Should just sell it and get a Toyota.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:44 am Nevermind it was dead again this morning. Something bigger going on I think. Cmax forums are littered with this, just some auxiliary system not turning off or going to “sleep” after a certain amount of time from turning the car off.

:doomed:
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:21 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:44 am Nevermind it was dead again this morning. Something bigger going on I think. Cmax forums are littered with this, just some auxiliary system not turning off or going to “sleep” after a certain amount of time from turning the car off.

I like the hybrid. I like the way it drives, it’s kinda quick, and handles great. It’s ugly as f and some kind of jelly bean that should have been a minivan but whatever. It’s just a throwaway fraud with nearly 100k on it.

I’d totally get another hybrid. I really like how smooth this thing is, and the MPG rocks.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:30 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:21 pm

I like the hybrid. I like the way it drives, it’s kinda quick, and handles great. It’s ugly as f and some kind of jelly bean that should have been a minivan but whatever. It’s just a throwaway fraud with nearly 100k on it.

I’d totally get another hybrid. I really like how smooth this thing is, and the MPG rocks.
Cant blame you at all, electrical gremlins just seem to be a PITA to track down and resolve in some cases.