:wrong: Soviet car reviews

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Also somewhat ironically TFL dudes ordered a base model Defender! :excited: to see their vids. They ordered it exactly like I would. No options + off road stuff... ~53-54k MSRP
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:02 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:00 pm

I am in a similar boat but haven't had to do as much/after some time, :tits: calms down on the obsession. I personally don't really give a damn about my house as long as everything is clean and works, :tits: constantly wants to "upgrade" things... I think my ideal would be a townhouse with two car garage, as it just eliminates so many of the :bs: projects. I don't want to spend all my time on house shit, but I also don't want to pay another mortgage each month to hire "pros".

:ohwell:

It gets a little better once the newness of the house wears off.
Yea... but the project list is essentially endless when you have a g'd damn yard. Which is like 30-50k to make "nice" and then the "maintenance" :oops: I should probably post in the Haus thread...
Yeah man, I get it, trust me. My wife was full on nutso about making the yard this perfect oasis and she has chilled out a bit. We have done a bunch of work to where I am pretty content with it, the maintaining part is pretty easy. She inevitably wants to do more improving, but has chilled out and accepted it as-is and will pick back up in the spring. If it were just me I would plant some trees and let it all be natural.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I am in a similar boat but haven't had to do as much/after some time, :tits: calms down on the obsession. I personally don't really give a damn about my house as long as everything is clean and works, :tits: constantly wants to "upgrade" things... I think my ideal would be a townhouse with two car garage, as it just eliminates so many of the :bs: projects. I don't want to spend all my time on house shit, but I also don't want to pay another mortgage each month to hire "pros".

Yea... but the project list is essentially endless when you have a g'd damn yard. Which is like 30-50k to make "nice" and then the "maintenance" :oops: I should probably post in the Haus thread...
Oh man...yards BLOW. That was my life at our house in the city this year, and will be forever with maintenance. That was more time than money, and really :rage:

A big reason why we're moving TBH, while we're on 1.5 acres, it's all wooded and the house is designed to have natural landscaping. There is a wood walkway around the house that needs to be replaced eventually, so next spring I'm going to take a chunk at a time and replace with Trex...but the job will be on and off all summer, and might trickle into the next year NBD.

Long lists are daunting, but prioritize and be real with finish dates. It's not a race, but it took me a while to convince :tits: of that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:04 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:00 pm

How do you have "time" to do "fun things" when two or more of you are working 40-60hr weeks. Just burning out on this thing. Yea the "ROI" on homes was nuts from 12-00. But it seems like it may not maintain. Also in my area you can put 300k into a house and get 30k out of it. better to just buy the right house or just "slave away" for nothing. There was a house that was 500k more than ours but it literally had 1.5M of extra features in it. Seriously regretting for going :scrooge: and now having to dick with all the assholes trying to rip me a new one on every project.
:wat:

I thought house appreciation was off the charts by you? Shacks that would be a tear-down here selling for $1M+? What happened?

I've been there with burn-out, man...I get it. That's why when we take on a project I lay out what I want to be done in the week or if it's a bigger project, what's the target finish date. Don't assume working constantly, award a lot of time and breaks. Like knock out electrical in one weekend, then plan the next weekend to be a break/fun weekend then tackle deck fixing after that. It's not a rush unless you're trying to flip the place.
Appreciation is somewhat done. Also I am further away from the "silicone valley" of things where 1m gets you a bums breaking into your 800sq foot fixer on the weekly. My friend did that and I refuse. He got his house for 720k 2 years ago... put 200k into it and it is now worth 900k. But... he did all that work himself mostly (contractor) and honestly I didn't see the roi. So I went further out where there is no crime.

In my area there is no value to be added to homes as I mentioned. No one is selling fixers here, they don't exist. And most homes are 2500-3500 sq feet. We got the "smallest house" in the hood that is also the cheapest... but I mean I am not complaining. Even now it's expensive AF to cool/maintain etc.
2000 sq foot house is like 1.5
3500 sq foot house is like 1.9
and the amount of labor/cos that goes into the 1.9 is insane. The price floor is essentially where we got our home, nothing cheaper, but "making it nice" seems stupid because nicer homes don't cost as much. I knew that going in but I was too scared of :doomed: and went "cheap"
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:05 pm

Yeah man, I get it, trust me. My wife was full on nutso about making the yard this perfect oasis and she has chilled out a bit. We have done a bunch of work to where I am pretty content with it, the maintaining part is pretty easy. She inevitably wants to do more improving, but has chilled out and accepted it as-is and will pick back up in the spring. If it were just me I would plant some trees and let it all be natural.
Seems like the 3 of us are in the same boat when it comes to house stuff... :tits: trying to nest AF
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

One big thing someone said to me that helped a lot:

"Think about your parent's house growing up... was it ever done? Were they ever not working on something or at least maintaining?" I don't take that as discouraging, but more like, it's OK to do what you have time to do a little bit at a time, it will get nicer over the years, but there's no sense in killing yourself out of the gate, you'll just end up burning the place to the ground :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:09 pm

Seems like the 3 of us are in the same boat when it comes to house stuff... :tits: trying to nest AF
:dat: :disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:04 pm
:wat:

I thought house appreciation was off the charts by you? Shacks that would be a tear-down here selling for $1M+? What happened?

I've been there with burn-out, man...I get it. That's why when we take on a project I lay out what I want to be done in the week or if it's a bigger project, what's the target finish date. Don't assume working constantly, award a lot of time and breaks. Like knock out electrical in one weekend, then plan the next weekend to be a break/fun weekend then tackle deck fixing after that. It's not a rush unless you're trying to flip the place.
Appreciation is somewhat done. Also I am further away from the "silicone valley" of things where 1m gets you a bums breaking into your 800sq foot fixer on the weekly. My friend did that and I refuse. He got his house for 720k 2 years ago... put 200k into it and it is now worth 900k. But... he did all that work himself mostly (contractor) and honestly I didn't see the roi. So I went further out where there is no crime.

In my area there is no value to be added to homes as I mentioned. No one is selling fixers here, they don't exist. And most homes are 2500-3500 sq feet. We got the "smallest house" in the hood that is also the cheapest... but I mean I am not complaining. Even now it's expensive AF to cool/maintain etc.
and the amount of labor/cos that goes into the 1.9 is insane. The price floor is essentially where we got our home, nothing cheaper, but "making it nice" seems stupid because nicer homes don't cost as much. I knew that going in but I was too scared of :doomed: and went "cheap"
Very interesting. I'm surprised updates aren't worth more...or maybe there's so few houses that need updating to begin with that it doesn't matter?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:14 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:08 pm

Very interesting. I'm surprised updates aren't worth more...or maybe there's so few houses that need updating to begin with that it doesn't matter?
The issue is the people that live here have MONEY, not like I can afford a porsche money but like FUCK YOU money. They are ok with blowing XXX,XXX on updates and not seeing a penny back. The house is a play thing to them like a Jeep is to a :derp:

Example... My neighbor down the street, bought the house for something like 1.1... She completely redid the entire place... and is putting in a vineyard, did a bunch of terracing and some of the most insane fencing/concrete work I have ever seen, as most of us are sitting on like 1-3 acre lots up here. She probably spent 1.5-2M on the house so far... (It is not recognizable). It is worth maybe 2 ...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:14 pm
The issue is the people that live here have MONEY, not like I can afford a porsche money but like FUCK YOU money. They are ok with blowing XXX,XXX on updates and not seeing a penny back. The house is a play thing to them like a Jeep is to a :derp:

Example... My neighbor down the street, bought the house for something like 1.1... She completely redid the entire place... and is putting in a vineyard, did a bunch of terracing and some of the most insane fencing/concrete work I have ever seen, as most of us are sitting on like 1-3 acre lots up here. She probably spent 1.5-2M on the house so far... (It is not recognizable). It is worth maybe 2 ...
People with FUCK YOU money want to make it theirs and don't care what it costs. This makes sense then. I see that in our new area a lot.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:11 pm One big thing someone said to me that helped a lot:

"Think about your parent's house growing up... was it ever done? Were they ever not working on something or at least maintaining?" I don't take that as discouraging, but more like, it's OK to do what you have time to do a little bit at a time, it will get nicer over the years, but there's no sense in killing yourself out of the gate, you'll just end up burning the place to the ground :lolol:
Cadence and setting an easy timeline is super critical.
ChrisoftheNorth

It's what they do, and it's our jobs to set realistic expectations for completing things for them.

Michele and I would have the biggest fights about house project timelines. It would get insane until one day I set my foot down and forced her to agree to timelines.

The new house doesn't need as much, but priorities are set and timelines are already established to prevent full blast :triggered: :nuke:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:29 pm

It's what they do, and it's our jobs to set realistic expectations for completing things for them.

Michele and I would have the biggest fights about house project timelines. It would get insane until one day I set my foot down and forced her to agree to timelines.

The new house doesn't need as much, but priorities are set and timelines are already established to prevent full blast :triggered: :nuke:
I get :triggered: because my wife will walk into the backyard or a room or anywhere and every time is just like "we need to do blah blah blah blah blah" and it stresses me the fuck out. I told her it is super stressful and it makes me feel like she is just telling me what to do all of the time. According to her she just wants to talk about it and make a plan, but she listened fortunately, and has calmed down a bit. It helps a lot that she's back at work and has an active social life and stuff, so she isn't here all the time like I am. I am :aintcare: , I think our place is nice as-is and just want to keep it clean/fix things if/when they break.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:37 pm

I get :triggered: because my wife will walk into the backyard or a room or anywhere and every time is just like "we need to do blah blah blah blah blah" and it stresses me the fuck out. I told her it is super stressful and it makes me feel like she is just telling me what to do all of the time. According to her she just wants to talk about it and make a plan, but she listened fortunately, and has calmed down a bit. It helps a lot that she's back at work and has an active social life and stuff, so she isn't here all the time like I am. I am :aintcare: , I think our place is nice as-is and just want to keep it clean/fix things if/when they break.
Mine does the EXACT same thing. And it was getting to the point where she'd say "we should do x, y, z to this room" and she'd expect to do it instantly.

Now, I humor her when she says these things and even bounce ideas off her because I, unlike most dudes it seems, enjoy this stuff. But I'm always clear..."Yep, we can tackle this when the XXX project is done, or do you want to change priorities?"

Often times she just wants to talk ideas, but level setting at the beginning where a project falls helps.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

YES, FFS. Soviet Clowhouse Chronicles.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Respectfully, that is a strange reaction. I have always been :really:........if your idea is on all fours I can get behind making it happen. If your idea is :fullretard: you can take the truck down to Lowe's, load that bish up and then starting busting your ass like :mahtroy: in the hot sun while I watch football. Of course, :tits: never do that and there is a certain point at which you are not her personal home improvement slave.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:49 pm

Mine does the EXACT same thing. And it was getting to the point where she'd say "we should do x, y, z to this room" and she'd expect to do it instantly.

Now, I humor her when she says these things and even bounce ideas off her because I, unlike most dudes it seems, enjoy this stuff. But I'm always clear..."Yep, we can tackle this when the XXX project is done, or do you want to change priorities?"

Often times she just wants to talk ideas, but level setting at the beginning where a project falls helps.
Michelle has been doing this too. When she does I just gone to “we’ve established x and y as our priorities and that’s what we’re working on. If you need z done so badly, you can do it yourself or you can pay to have it done.”
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I respect that Chris and Michelle are not having CF but for those guys that are, if you start stacking the "home improvement era" onto the "young CF era" you're losing a pretty significant chunk of your young life to things you have complete control over. Then you're just an old bastard like me. It happens. I was there.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:11 pm I respect that Chris and Michelle are not having CF but for those guys that are, if you start stacking the "home improvement era" onto the "young CF era" you're losing a pretty significant chunk of your young life to things you have complete control over. Then you're just an old bastard like me. It happens. I was there.
I can't imagine our life with CF...would be completely different, def wouldn't be doing the house shit.

But just like ANYTHING in life, it's about balance. We go out to look at cabinets or flooring, and stop at a brewery on the way home to chat and relax. Last week, we found a hiking trail on the way home from picking up some light bulbs that we stopped at and went for a hike for an hour.

When it's 100% house 100% of the time, I get frustrated.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:04 pm

Respectfully, that is a strange reaction. I have always been :really:........if your idea is on all fours I can get behind making it happen. If your idea is :fullretard: you can take the truck down to Lowe's, load that bish up and then starting busting your ass like :mahtroy: in the hot sun while I watch football. Of course, :tits: never do that and there is a certain point at which you are not her personal home improvement slave.
We have gotten to a better place. I told her it stresses me out, she said that she wasn't asking me to do things, just wanted to discuss ideas with me :really:

I made it rather clear I didn't want to spend my life doing :pinshit: and she seems to have accepted/learned to respect that.

Based on Max's situation and mine recently, I think there is a lot of overwhelming desire from :tits: to make the house "perfect" instantaneously and it dies down as the newness of the house wears off.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:36 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:04 pm

We have gotten to a better place. I told her it stresses me out, she said that she wasn't asking me to do things, just wanted to discuss ideas with me :really:

I made it rather clear I didn't want to spend my life doing :pinshit: and she seems to have accepted/learned to respect that.

Based on Max's situation and mine recently, I think there is a lot of overwhelming desire from :tits: to make the house "perfect" instantaneously and it dies down as the newness of the house wears off.
Mine loves discussing ideas, which I humor her with and always end with the timing discussion to set expectations. Sometimes she'll get :triggered: JUST EVENTUALLY, GEEZE...but it's important for me to get it set out regardless.

Nesting is real. When we first started renting the new place, :tits: was all :triggered: about getting it perfect...what we need to buy and when. She's not working right now, which makes things worse...so I brought back some paint and painting supplies from the old house a few weeks back and she went nuts. Now suddenly all the things that "needed to be done ASAP" have calmed down to the point where she's seriously talking about salvaging the solid oak cabinets in the kitchen (something I'd love to do)
max225

SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:49 pm

Michelle has been doing this too. When she does I just gone to “we’ve established x and y as our priorities and that’s what we’re working on. If you need z done so badly, you can do it yourself or you can pay to have it done.”
Are we all dating the same woman ? :mindblown:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:54 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:06 pm

No, you're all dating women.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:56 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:54 pm

No, you're all dating women.
I am shocked because I literally had the same conversation I quoted this AM when it came to doing additional work.

I love that fact that bish wants 10 things done we agree to a 8/2 split, I do 8 and she does 2. And in the end she does 0.5 I do 7 and burn out because I have a full time job, and she is trying to add another 10 to the list. Which :triggered: me to no end and I start to think about throwing her down our canyon.

Also some women are about the gram, GIRLS NIGHT, clothes/heels and interior decorating. Working with what they have... or camping or spinning fire sticks... or clubbing... you name it. Ours seem to be focused on blowing cold hard cash on residential improvements to no end, that occupy all free time.
Last edited by max225 on Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:27 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:16 pm

People with FUCK YOU money want to make it theirs and don't care what it costs. This makes sense then. I see that in our new area a lot.
Yea it makes things a bit :flaccid: because just being in line with your neighbors = :wasteful: x 1000. I'd rather drive a lambo than have a yard I never use.