:wrong: Soviet car reviews

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:03 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:00 pm
I am :notsure: I won't plop down 135k cash (car + taxrape) without knowing ALL of my options. This thing would be around 26-30k and obviously infinitely less cool.. But it would allow me to do everything I want out of an EV. AH and once again we're back to the Civic Sport and Bmw M3 comparison... some people never change.

Ideally I would also explore leasing options on the I3 as it is bound to be ridiculously cheap... soon enough.

That said, I am not a huge fan of that sort of cash outlay at the moment even though I do really like said vehicle. 135k is 2 years of :aintcare: retirement.
I am not going to blow six digits on something that is not :amazing: A really fast toaster is still a toaster.
Something that can carry 5-7 humans, accelerates quicker than a veyron and can drive it self is :amazing: but we've already established that I am the only person here (Maybe 1 or two more) that thinks that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:55 pm To get this back on track:
So as of now... The only option is a BMW I3 without REX.

Annoyingly this one is 40 miles from my house (one way) AND there is no easy way for me to charge... so this is a bit peculiar. It only goes 150 miles on a full charge... so I'd return on RED and have to charge somewhere. (I have no charging infrastructure at home) .

But a hottish AZN has it... Such conflict much wow.
Would charging it on 110 each night you have it not suffice?
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:10 pm

Annoyingly this one is 40 miles from my house (one way) AND there is no easy way for me to charge... so this is a bit peculiar. It only goes 150 miles on a full charge... so I'd return on RED and have to charge somewhere. (I have no charging infrastructure at home) .

Would charging it on 110 each night you have it not suffice?
No. It charges at about 2 miles an hr... so I would need to charge it longer than I have it to recoup the miles. :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That is a lot of money... :iono: that any car is really worth it to me. I would probably do an i3, give AZN Taco, and then get something fun on the side like maybe a 718 Coxster?
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:13 pm That is a lot of money... :iono: that any car is really worth it to me. I would probably do an i3, give AZN Taco, and then get something fun on the side like maybe a 718 Coxster?
AZN has the forever TSX and no plans to change that unless it gets wrapped around the pole. She's had it since 2012... 9 years :yikes:

Here is the issue with things like 718 Coxster I gave this a LOT of thought... What will I really do with one? It'll be around 80-100k post tax, depending on the engine choice. So it's nearly the same amount as the X, it's far less usable and it will almost never get driven.

Where am I going to take it? Other than the occasional weekend winery trip? $500-1000 a month in ownership costs for 500 miles a month driven AT MOST. It'll be an epic fail.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:15 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:13 pm That is a lot of money... :iono: that any car is really worth it to me. I would probably do an i3, give AZN Taco, and then get something fun on the side like maybe a 718 Coxster?
AZN has the forever TSX and no plans to change that unless it gets wrapped around the pole. She's had it since 2012... 9 years :yikes:
:word:

That is what's tricky then. If you go i3, it sort of replaces nothing in your fleet - it's a good commuter but you still need Taco for :millennial: shit/travel, still have TSX, still don't really have a fun car if you care about that.

The Tessie does sort of check all three (fun, trips/travel, commuting) so I guess that's where I see some value. It is cheaper and easier to maintain/insure one car versus three. Still, I would rather have a Taco, an Elise, and an i3 for less cashola than a Tessie.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:18 pm

That is what's tricky then. If you go i3, it sort of replaces nothing in your fleet - it's a good commuter but you still need Taco for :millennial: shit/travel, still have TSX, still don't really have a fun car if you care about that.

The Tessie does sort of check all three (fun, trips/travel, commuting) so I guess that's where I see some value. It is cheaper and easier to maintain/insure one car versus three. Still, I would rather have a Taco, an Elise, and an i3 for less cashola than a Tessie.
Taco + Mini are currently "worth" 70k... which will rather quickly continue to depreciate. I think the Mini is the weakest link at the moment, because I have no real purpose for it, unless we start commuting again. (Which is rather likely). At which point the I3 would make a better commuter IMO. So the woman has the TSX to commute on or the I3 if I am not taking it, and I'd have the I3. So it does replace the mini quite well. It is less "fun" (this is hypothetical as I haven't driven one) but it a bit more practical. As it is significantly bigger inside.

I do really like the Taco for trips and I doubt the Tessie will replace it from a long distance travel vehicle (200miles one way) is the most I am willing to travel on one. After that it gets tricky, Other than LA. I do still really like the practicality of the taco. It is a wonderful vehicle. But it has some major flaws also. It is not well suited for 4 full size adults, and the engine is a bit annoying. Other than that it is pretty much a forever vehicle for me.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Just look up public charging spaces?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:37 pm

Just look up public charging spaces?
I know where they are. It is annoying to deal with when you have nearly no range and a fairly slow charging vehicle. I was hoping to charge maybe once in 2 days, but this will require at least 2x at 40min each.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Maybe he should stop thinking and talking about cars and spread some mulch.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:25 pm

Taco + Mini are currently "worth" 70k... which will rather quickly continue to depreciate. I think the Mini is the weakest link at the moment, because I have no real purpose for it, unless we start commuting again. (Which is rather likely). At which point the I3 would make a better commuter IMO. So the woman has the TSX to commute on or the I3 if I am not taking it, and I'd have the I3. So it does replace the mini quite well. It is less "fun" (this is hypothetical as I haven't driven one) but it a bit more practical. As it is significantly bigger inside.

I do really like the Taco for trips and I doubt the Tessie will replace it from a long distance travel vehicle (200miles one way) is the most I am willing to travel on one. After that it gets tricky, Other than LA. I do still really like the practicality of the taco. It is a wonderful vehicle. But it has some major flaws also. It is not well suited for 4 full size adults, and the engine is a bit annoying. Other than that it is pretty much a forever vehicle for me.
I haven't driven a JCW or i3, I imagine you're right that the MINI is more fun, but if you're already not driving it :whocares: People seem to think the i3 is still fairly entertaining. I mean, e-torque, RWD with no grip, one pedal driving... it sounds entertaining to me.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:47 pm

Maybe he should stop thinking and talking about cars and spread some mulch.
:gtfo: with your cuck talk.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:48 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:25 pm

I haven't driven a JCW or i3, I imagine you're right that the MINI is more fun, but if you're already not driving it :whocares: People seem to think the i3 is still fairly entertaining. I mean, e-torque, RWD with no grip, one pedal driving... it sounds entertaining to me.
Don't forget the fairly unique interior, and relatively unique styling which I really happen to like. I think the entertainment factor will be quite :notbad: . I am however really curious about the driving dynamics. The issue is, I am now 90 miles RT from work. As is the woman, this thing will have to be somewhat comfortable to commute in. Unfortunately the MINI is far too darty for long distance driving. It also gets consistently bullied on the road... I had an asshole tailgate me at 95-100... I had to go to 120 to get away from him.
Trying times my friends. Unfortunately the I3 will probably be no better in that regard, where as the Model X will be.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:54 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:48 pm

Don't forget the fairly unique interior, and relatively unique styling which I really happen to like. I think the entertainment factor will be quite :notbad: . I am however really curious about the driving dynamics. The issue is, I am now 90 miles RT from work. As is the woman, this thing will have to be somewhat comfortable to commute in. Unfortunately the MINI is far too darty for long distance driving. It also gets consistently bullied on the road... I had an asshole tailgate me at 95-100... I had to go to 120 to get away from him.
Trying times my friends. Unfortunately the I3 will probably be no better in that regard, where as the Model X will be.
I love the i3 styling as well, that interior is super :neat:

That is a brutal commute, fuck.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Still sad about timing and not knowing you were going to possibly be offing the Mini. I'd have strongly considered picking that up off of you. Didn't see any that seemed worthwhile out here in my brief search.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:38 pm Still sad about timing and not knowing you were going to possibly be offing the Mini. I'd have strongly considered picking that up off of you. Didn't see any that seemed worthwhile out here in my brief search.
It is a bummer... it is a great ride IMO.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:11 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:38 pm Still sad about timing and not knowing you were going to possibly be offing the Mini. I'd have strongly considered picking that up off of you. Didn't see any that seemed worthwhile out here in my brief search.
Trade me for the Elantra? :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:52 pm

Sell Elantra for profit, buy MINI? :lolol:
max225

SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:52 pm

:mindblown:
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought about the Mini for myself. :lol: Really cool car but it would only resolve some of the complaints with my current one.
max225

I can't make big posts again... forum errors... :wtf:
max225

Hola so I had a pretty epic experience with a Porsche with one O. It was over at speed vegas, which is actually a great gig all together.

Car had PDK, 2600 miles, GT3 spec. Correct spec Michelin spec tires + loud exhaust.

Car was in sport/iest everything for my experience once we hit the track.

Overall I really liked the car and I can't shit on it much, but I like to keep things real and call things out for how they are.
max225

I can't make my posts :(
max225

Car had PDK, 2600 miles, GT3 spec. Correct spec Michelin spec tires + loud exhaust.

Car was in sport/iest everything for my experience once we hit the track.

Overall I really liked the car and I can't shit on it much, but I like to keep things real and call things out for how they are.
It was interesting experience because they had a C8, Z51 Huracan, NSX, GT3, GT3 RS, Hellcat, GT-R and I got to sit in all of them side by side.

GT-R was biggest disappointment, it just seemed CHEAP inside, worse than the challenger even. Also showed a lot of wear even with not too many miles.

NSX was also fairly dated inside, felt like a “last gen” car, closer to the 2010 TSX we have than a 2020 Porsche.
I don’t fit into a Huracan with a helmet… that car is made for dudes under 6’, bummer… the steering wheel was in between my knees also.
Corvette was decent, like right between an NSX and Porsche as far as quality is concerned.

GT3-RS. This thing felt like a race car… it had the giant non adjustable bucket seats that are super hard to get into but are actually surprisingly comfortable. The “weight saving” was just stupid… no door handles, which was ok, scaffolding in the back etc. I get it as a toy, but I think it would just made a horrendous “weekender” even. Unless you just track for fun.

GT3. Certainly, my favorite. The ergonomics are the best, the interior quality was the best, everything was super simple to figure out and seating position/visibility was all excellent. A 6’6” person can be comfortable in this thing… as can a 5’6” person. Just a great all around car that is IMO worth the premium over the C7. It felt 50K more expensive than the 90k corvette.
Last edited by max225 on Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
max225

GT3 Specific:
Good:
Sound is epic… 5500-8500 rpm is just EPIC. This thing just screams, in a great way.
Power: Just enough to feel like a real sports car, but not overwhelming the tires at every turn. Incredibly linear, this motor is a peach.
Steering: Obviously great, can’t say it was AMAZING but it was great, car goes where you point it, great feedback.
Suspension: Firm but not jarring, exactly right.
Brakes: Strong and linear (this car didn’t have carbon brakes).
Handling: Tons of mechanical grip, very predictable… However, there are ways to upset it… you have to brake way before the turn, and you can power out way sooner than in other vehicles… The instructor had more confidence in the car than I did, which was :impressive:
Looks: I love the way this thing looks.