:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

This 9-2X guy is pretty responsive. His response after I asked about oil leaks or contamination.
Nope, no contamination issues whatsoever, and there are no leaks that I can see. A lot of the seals, turbo oil lines, and both valve cover gaskets were replaced around 2,000 miles ago by my trusted Subaru mechanic (pretty much the main person that has worked on the car over the years besides myself), and there were zero leaks seen at that time. I went above and beyond with preventative maintenance on this thing, so if I would’ve seen even a small leak, I would have addressed it right away. The car is solid, and I’d feel confident driving it on a cross country trip right now if I needed to!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:50 pm This 9-2X guy is pretty responsive. His response after I asked about oil leaks or contamination.
Nope, no contamination issues whatsoever, and there are no leaks that I can see. A lot of the seals, turbo oil lines, and both valve cover gaskets were replaced around 2,000 miles ago by my trusted Subaru mechanic (pretty much the main person that has worked on the car over the years besides myself), and there were zero leaks seen at that time. I went above and beyond with preventative maintenance on this thing, so if I would’ve seen even a small leak, I would have addressed it right away. The car is solid, and I’d feel confident driving it on a cross country trip right now if I needed to!
:like: seems like a decent one to watch.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:50 pm This 9-2X guy is pretty responsive. His response after I asked about oil leaks or contamination.

These are the sorts of sellers I like to buy vehicles from. Curious to see where bidding is by the weekend. If it's not above $10k, I might do something...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:08 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:59 pm

These are the sorts of sellers I like to buy vehicles from. Curious to see where bidding is by the weekend. If it's not above $10k, I might do something...
Fly into CLT with the wife and spend a weekend in Asheville then drive it back.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:55 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:08 pm
:dat:

The leaves were still dope as hell this weekend/earlier this week - I drove out to the Tail of the Dragon area and below 5K feet of elevation, fall was booming.

:iono: I would certainly buy that car, I'd say up to $15K it is a pretty decent :dill: considering the time we're living in. You won't find another that nice, headgasket replacement or not.
max225

It is still under 10k... :notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:00 pm It is still under 10k... :notbad:
Yea, but the auction ends on Sunday so right now it's :whocares: Hard to say where it'll land.

I guess I should start thinking a bit more about it, maybe mention it to the wife as a trip opportunity. Neither of us have a ton of time off, but we don't have T-day plans, maybe we could pick it up over t-day...
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:58 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:55 pm

:dat:

The leaves were still dope as hell this weekend/earlier this week - I drove out to the Tail of the Dragon area and below 5K feet of elevation, fall was booming.

:iono: I would certainly buy that car, I'd say up to $15K it is a pretty decent :dill: considering the time we're living in. You won't find another that nice, headgasket replacement or not.
I think anything over $10k is a terrible deal. Nobody knows about these things, so it's not like they'll ever really get collectible. Subarus of this vintage aren't exactly lighting the collectible world on fire, and it's still a 15 year old car that will come with inevitable 15 year old car problems. If it sells for $15k, it'll be back to sub $10k within a few years I'm sure.

Not to mention, those head gaskets blow and I'm facing $2-3k repair unless I can tow it to my dad's downstate and work on it in his garage. I don't have the sweet mechanic setup yet up north. :|
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:13 pm Sell the GTI and go full :scrooge: ?

https://www.sharpcarsofindy.com/used/Su ... fbb9d6.htm

These are so awesome, thought it was a major steel until I saw the automatic :gag:

I feel like early 2000s auto transmission tech would not be enjoyable. Still, I get if you kept it in decent condition you’d never lose a dime on that, sell on Cars & Bids when you’re done. The GTI on the other hand could be worth $15k again in three months.

I would think the GTI is more fun to drive :doe:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:15 am
coogles wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:13 pm Sell the GTI and go full :scrooge: ?

https://www.sharpcarsofindy.com/used/Su ... fbb9d6.htm

These are so awesome, thought it was a major steel until I saw the automatic :gag:

I feel like early 2000s auto transmission tech would not be enjoyable. Still, I get if you kept it in decent condition you’d never lose a dime on that, sell on Cars & Bids when you’re done. The GTI on the other hand could be worth $15k again in three months.

The auto is a bummer, but honestly it would work better for us considering my wife could drive it too if I'm taking all three kids to school or whatever. Then we legit could have some budget for a weekend toy.

I think I'll probably go kick the tires on it tomorrow just for funsies.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The 5spd auto is rear biased and those has a viscous LSD so you'll be praying for any little bit of snow.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:25 am The 5spd auto is rear biased and those has a viscous LSD so you'll be praying for any little bit of snow.
:notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:52 am
D Griff wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:15 am

The auto is a bummer, but honestly it would work better for us considering my wife could drive it too if I'm taking all three kids to school or whatever. Then we legit could have some budget for a weekend toy.

I think I'll probably go kick the tires on it tomorrow just for funsies.
Holy shit, this thing looks CLEAN! :popcorn: on checking it out. This would be a great :scrooge: move IMO. Make a killing on the GTI, have this semi-entertaining thing to get by with, free up funds for some real fun. Plus, I don't think this thing would lose any value ever.

:notbad: at all.
ChrisoftheNorth

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/r4bqbd ... gen-golf-r

Dang, a 2 door MK6R. I wonder what this will sell for? Would be a perfect fun/second car for me in the middle of nowhere.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:55 am https://carsandbids.com/auctions/r4bqbd ... gen-golf-r

Dang, a 2 door MK6R. I wonder what this will sell for? Would be a perfect fun/second car for me in the middle of nowhere.
:neat: I've always liked Tornado Red, that is a solid car.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:55 am https://carsandbids.com/auctions/r4bqbd ... gen-golf-r

Probably 20-25k if had to guess which is lunacy.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:02 am

Yea, I think you're right. $11k with 5 days left is not a good sign. Should be $15k tops in normal times I think.

Bummer, this one isn't far from me and seems to be pretty well cared for and would be a riot. :ohwell:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:36 am

:neat: I've always liked Tornado Red, that is a solid car.
My MKV was a Tornado Red 2-door. I loved that thing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:18 am

Yea, I think you're right. $11k with 5 days left is not a good sign. Should be $15k tops in normal times I think.

Bummer, this one isn't far from me and seems to be pretty well cared for and would be a riot. :ohwell:
Yeah at $12-15K it would be pretty cool I think. That said, there isn't much all that interesting in that range, so no surprised these are more.
max225

Would it ? I mean this a mk6 with a mk5 engine … they are decent cars but I don’t think I’d classify them as that much fun. A regular mk6 at 1/3 of the cost is 95% of the fun
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:21 am

Would it ? I mean this a mk6 with a mk5 engine … they are decent cars but I don’t think I’d classify them as that much fun. A regular mk6 at 1/3 of the cost is 95% of the fun
A stage 1 R with AWD would be more fun where I live than a FWD MK6 IMO.

But not at all worth the cost premium, sadly.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:22 am

They have a lot of flaws… frankly seeing a golf r sell for what it did 10 years ago when it was a far newer and better car with 10-30k miles is :disgust:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

A stage 1 MK6R makes 300whp and is pretty quick, but you'll also need a clutch and then that chassis is still a mess of a wet noodle. Maybe adding the unibrace products would help...people always said they did but I never took the plunge.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:25 am

A stage 1 MK6R makes 300whp and is pretty quick, but you'll also need a clutch and then that chassis is still a mess of a wet noodle. Maybe adding the unibrace products would help...people always said they did but I never took the plunge.
This car already has a south bend clutch and single mass flywheel, installed by one of the most reputable euro shops in Michigan.

And I'm not tracking it, DGAF about the chassis rigidity. I thought my stock MK6 was fine.