:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:24 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:22 am
A stage 1 R with AWD would be more fun where I live than a FWD MK6 IMO.

But not at all worth the cost premium, sadly.
They have a lot of flaws… frankly seeing a golf r sell for what it did 10 years ago when it was a far newer and better car with 10-30k miles is :disgust:
That's the ridiculous market now...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:27 am
coogles wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:25 am

A stage 1 MK6R makes 300whp and is pretty quick, but you'll also need a clutch and then that chassis is still a mess of a wet noodle. Maybe adding the unibrace products would help...people always said they did but I never took the plunge.
This car already has a south bend clutch and single mass flywheel, installed by one of the most reputable euro shops in Michigan.

And I'm not tracking it, DGAF about the chassis rigidity. I thought my stock MK6 was fine.
I never tracked my MK6 either, but every bump made my car quiver and shake in ways I've never felt in any other car before or since, except the MK6R I test drove before I bought my MK7. But eh, my experience was clearly not everyone's.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:25 am

A stage 1 MK6R makes 300whp and is pretty quick, but you'll also need a clutch and then that chassis is still a mess of a wet noodle. Maybe adding the unibrace products would help...people always said they did but I never took the plunge.
This car already has a south bend clutch and single mass flywheel, installed by one of the most reputable euro shops in Michigan.

And I'm not tracking it, DGAF about the chassis rigidity. I thought my stock MK6 was fine.
Ooh so someone already blew the clutch on it … damn. Tuner lyfe.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:32 am

I never tracked my MK6 either, but every bump made my car quiver and shake in ways I've never felt in any other car before or since, except the MK6R I test drove before I bought my MK7. But eh, my experience was clearly not everyone's.
Weird, My MK6 felt really solid, even after I moved it to Detroit and drove on the surface of the moon. My C5 felt like a wet noodle in comparison.

That car was kind of a freak though. It was Stage 1 Unitronic and never had a single issue, got good gas mileage, drove phenominal, etc.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:33 am

Yea, it was tuned then the clutch was changed shortly after. The clutch was always the weak point on the MK6, especially when tuning on R's.

Whatever, the dude paid a fortune to have it done at a very reputable shop, so it wouldn't concern me much...only the drivability with a single mass flywheel is :notsure:
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:36 am
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:33 am
Yea, it was tuned then the clutch was changed shortly after. The clutch was always the weak point on the MK6, especially when tuning on R's.

Whatever, the dude paid a fortune to have it done at a very reputable shop, so it wouldn't concern me much...only the drivability with a single mass flywheel is :notsure:
Exactly … and it looks like a it’s for sale shortly after all that “money was dumped” into it … sus!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:34 am

Weird, My MK6 felt really solid, even after I moved it to Detroit and drove on the surface of the moon. My C5 felt like a wet noodle in comparison.

That car was kind of a freak though. It was Stage 1 Unitronic and never had a single issue, got good gas mileage, drove phenominal, etc.
I had the total opposite experience, really. I bought mine new at the beginning of October before it really started to get cold, and by the middle of November I wanted out of that thing ASAP. And proceeded to drive it for another 6+ years of misery, hearing every panel and trim piece creak and groan over every bump and imperfection, door seals squeaking against the frame going up driveway curbs and the like. I mean...just awful.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:38 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:36 am

Exactly … and it looks like a it’s for sale shortly after all that “money was dumped” into it … sus!
"Baby on the way" breh.

But yea... :notsure: Doesn't matter because it'll sell for WAY too much.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:40 am

I had the total opposite experience, really. I bought mine new at the beginning of October before it really started to get cold, and by the middle of November I wanted out of that thing ASAP. And proceeded to drive it for another 6+ years of misery, hearing every panel and trim piece creak and groan over every bump and imperfection, door seals squeaking against the frame going up driveway curbs and the like. I mean...just awful.
It's so weird, the production variation with MK6's seems to be all over the place. JP's was a POS too. Mine was fine, so was a number of others. Really a crap shoot, which makes the idea of paying big money for one even more :butwhy:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:43 am
coogles wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:40 am

It's so weird, the production variation with MK6's seems to be all over the place. JP's was a POS too. Mine was fine, so was a number of others. Really a crap shoot, which makes the idea of paying big money for one even more :butwhy:
:dat:
Mine was pretty solid, too. It really only creaked inside while going over crumbling RR tracks in the winter. Once the weather warmed up it was much quieter over those same tracks. The MQB platform is more solid, :doe: and the Blue Meanie is just as quiet over those same tracks in winter as it is in summer.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:49 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:43 am
Mine was pretty solid, too. It really only creaked inside while going over crumbling RR tracks in the winter. Once the weather warmed up it was much quieter over those same tracks. The MQB platform is more solid, :doe: and the Blue Meanie is just as quiet over those same tracks in winter as it is in summer.
The MK7 chassis is leaps and bounds better then the MK6, I never really had a problem with my MK6 TDI :doe:

I think that the MK6R is a special car because they didn't come to North America in large numbers.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:55 am
wap wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:49 am

The MK7 chassis is leaps and bounds better then the MK6, I never really had a problem with my MK6 TDI :doe:

I think that the MK6R is a special car because they didn't come to North America in large numbers.
Wasn’t the mk6R the first one that wasn’t volume restricted at 5000. And it also spanned 2 model years … I :member: flatbrim VW bros being super pissed off because “it’s no longer special”
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:06 pm

Wasn’t the mk6R the first one that wasn’t volume restricted at 5000. And it also spanned 2 model years … I :member: flatbrim VW bros being super pissed off because “it’s no longer special”
It volume capped itself because it was :manuel: only and only 2 MYs, but yea...it wasn't really limited production like the IV or V was.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:13 pm

It volume capped itself because it was :manuel: only and only 2 MYs, but yea...it wasn't really limited production like the IV or V was.
Yea it was interesting the mk v got dogged for being dsgay only.

And the whole 2 vs 4 door debate … 2 door= sports car. :lolgasm:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:13 pm
Yea it was interesting the mk v got dogged for being dsgay only.

And the whole 2 vs 4 door debate … 2 door= sports car. :lolgasm:
My MKV was a 2-door and I loved it. As a tall person, it's slightly easier to get in and out of, and the larger side window was really pleasant open. But 2-door = sports car is :lolol: :yeahok:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I didn't have the exact deets on why they are limited in numbers, sounds like Chris has the right info.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:29 pm

I didn't have the exact deets on why they are limited in numbers, sounds like Chris has the right info.
Well it started with the mk iv VW tried to make it into a halo car i think it was still before they had the other opportunities to upsell people with other brands as they weren’t fully in their portfolio.

I think they actually went through considerable effort to make it into awd etc it was the most special R model IMO, and it has been diluted down every generation since.
Mk 4 unique BODY and Engine and drive system + brakes + unique interior + limited production/colors
Mk 5 unique drive system + major engine +modifications + brakes + rear mounted battery ! + limited production + colors
Mk 6 unique drive system + body kit + brakes + colors
Mk 7 unique drive system + engine modification. + colors
Mk 8 unique drive system + engine modification + colors

Every subsequent generation since the 4 narrowed the gap to the gti.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:41 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:29 pm

Well it started with the mk iv VW tried to make it into a halo car i think it was still before they had the other opportunities to upsell people with other brands as they weren’t fully in their portfolio.

I think they actually went through considerable effort to make it into awd etc it was the most special R model IMO, and it has been diluted down every generation since.
Mk 4 unique BODY and Engine and drive system + brakes + unique interior + limited production/colors
Mk 5 unique drive system + major engine +modifications + brakes + rear mounted battery ! + limited production + colors

Hold the phones, mk5 still had the R32 vr6 motor, and then it went to FSI 2.0 4 cyl IIRC. That motor had a lot of issues that are mainly resolved on the MK7. It's a nice car, and pretty cool but I think the MK5 was more interesting with that wookie motor.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:46 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:41 pm

Hold the phones, mk5 still had the R32 vr6 motor, and then it went to FSI 2.0 4 cyl IIRC. That motor had a lot of issues that are mainly resolved on the MK7. It's a nice car, and pretty cool but I think the MK5 was more interesting with that wookie motor.
Mk5 was VR6 yep, but that was no longer that unique … since it was around in other models and a carry over from the mk 4.
Mk6 was a fairly modified FSI (from last gen gti) was timing belt + major carbon issues + that direct injection pump issue where the plunger cup would have to be changed on the pump and eventually wear out the cam
Mk7 was tfsi that’s essentially almost same as regular gti (in the us versions)
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Mark IV GLI VR6 is my most desired VeeDub
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:51 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:46 pm

Mk5 was VR6 yep, but that was no longer that unique … since it was around in other models and a carry over from the mk 4.
Mk6 was a fairly modified FSI (from last gen gti) was timing belt + major carbon issues + that direct injection pump issue where the plunger cup would have to be changed on the pump and eventually wear out the cam
I thought the MK6 R was a TSI engine so timing chain? Carboner issues still a problem :doe:
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:06 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:51 pm

I thought the MK6 R was a TSI engine so timing chain? Carboner issues still a problem :doe:
No it wasn’t, last gen FSI from mk5 but relatively modified. Which is why a modded FSI/r made less power than a modded tsi
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:07 pm
No it wasn’t, last gen FSI from mk5 but relatively modified. Which is why a modded FSI/r made less power than a modded tsi
:impressive:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I had Uni stage 1 as well and it was flawless. It certainly did not make the C5 feel like a wet noodle :doe: :lolol:

I think if I drove a :mk6: now I would not like it that much, but as my first 'fast car' after years in a 100 hp Civic, it was pretty sweet.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:07 pm
Add the HPFP and the MK6R was ~equal to a TSI on the K04.

MK6R

K04 GTI

Plus the Gen 1 TSI actually ended up having way more problems than the FSIs did in the way that it's the problems you know vs the ones you don't. Yes, you have to change the cam follower every so often and it needs a timing belt at 90k or whatever, but otherwise they don't have nearly the problems with the other stuff bolted to the engine as the Gen 1 TSI does.