Das Auto: VW Chat

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:51 pm I'm going to venture out and say VW gives nearly 0 fucks about the GTI. They have shown this to us by introducing a barely updated thing... They are putting all their best people + Money into the ID line ups.
Kind of, it's a world car though. And the Golf is (or was) VW's #1 selling product. They clearly put a lot of effort into it, they just got the human interface portion completely wrong. The engine, driveline, transmission, suspension, at least on paper and initially are all top of class.

If it had a normal way of interacting with its features, this would be a magazine darling again. But its not.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:44 pm
wap wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:31 pm I agree #'s 2 and 3 and your last comment, but IMO #1 should be it's a Mk7.75.
It really is pretty far removed from a Mk5
FSI EA112 to TSI EA888
PQ35 to MQB chassis

Much more like a Mk7/7.5.

tomato/tomahto
The PQ35 and MQB feel so unbelievably different to me you can't even put them in the same leagues, IMO. That said, if I were keeping a car like the GTI I'd see zero reason to move on from my MK7 to get the MK8. If that's how enough GTI lovers feel, that'll be really bad news for VW. If I were looking at a new car in that space, I'd take home the new Civic Si and it wouldn't be close.
Platform aside, it doesn't look all that different really. The styling is pretty stale. I saw a MK8 last week. But I had a damn hard time actually discerning it was a MK8 and not a MK7.
They've been selling a lot though so it makes sense they'd keep the styling the same.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:09 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:44 pm

The PQ35 and MQB feel so unbelievably different to me you can't even put them in the same leagues, IMO. That said, if I were keeping a car like the GTI I'd see zero reason to move on from my MK7 to get the MK8. If that's how enough GTI lovers feel, that'll be really bad news for VW. If I were looking at a new car in that space, I'd take home the new Civic Si and it wouldn't be close.
Platform aside, it doesn't look all that different really. The styling is pretty stale. I saw a MK8 last week. But I had a damn hard time actually discerning it was a MK8 and not a MK7.
They've been selling a lot though so it makes sense they'd keep the styling the same.
:howdareu:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

The selling point of a Golf was always that it was a NICER place to be in over the competition while being priced approximately in line with the rest of them. It had a level of "refinement" and "quality" that was not found in pot metal hondas and toyotas from the early 00s.
Doors shut nicely
Didn't have rat fur headliners
HID headlights
Keyless entry
premium cloth/leather interiors
nice leather steering wheels
good looking dash boards
quality plastics

That's what SOLD vws... now it's just lost in the land of mediocracy. Slap a nissan or a hyundai badge and it's going to be the same... hell I would venture to say that a Hyundai is better in certain ways. That was NOT the case before.

VW is DEAD to me
Audi is pretty much dead also... they are fading into the obscurity similar to Infiniti/Acura

Porsche is the only Vag brand that is still carrying the Ethos properly.
max225

This is a 2004 CAR

This is a 2022 CAR
max225

This is a 2005 Hyundai

This is a 2022
max225

Point being one of these companies actually did a thing and the other is stuck doing shit worse than they did 17 years ago. Pathetic.
max225

There is also very little excitement for me around MQB.. stamped steel suspensions, floaty calipers, transverse engines... eh... boring.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:49 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:51 pm I'm going to venture out and say VW gives nearly 0 fucks about the GTI. They have shown this to us by introducing a barely updated thing... They are putting all their best people + Money into the ID line ups.
Kind of, it's a world car though. And the Golf is (or was) VW's #1 selling product. They clearly put a lot of effort into it, they just got the human interface portion completely wrong. The engine, driveline, transmission, suspension, at least on paper and initially are all top of class.

If it had a normal way of interacting with its features, this would be a magazine darling again. But its not.
:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

All of :dat: I can agree with. While in retrospect I wish I would have bought the WRX, the primary reason I bought my 2011 GTI instead of a WRX hatch was because of how head and shoulders above the Subaru that interior space felt. From the solidity of the doors, to the materials inside, the feeling of quality in the switchgear and seats, it felt a significant price point above the Subie.
wap

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:35 pm Point being one of these companies actually did a thing and the other is stuck doing shit worse than they did 17 years ago. Pathetic.
:notwrong: there. H/K had nowhere to go but up while VW just had to maintain or do incremental improvements, but they stumbled here, for sure. T/Y diesel gate.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Thing is, VW used to be the brand with simplicity at its core too, at least as far as the user experience. A big part of why my wife loved the Atlas, coming from a 2012 RDX and comparing it with the Telluride and MDX, was that all of the controls were simple. Buttons where necessary for everyday things, but not a sea of buttons like the Acuras. Simple controls, easy and intuitive to use. Zero need to dig through menus for endless things. Even the drive modes can be accessed with a simple turn of the knob on the console. But now with the MK8 that's all gone to shit. Honda figured it out with the new Civic, VW completely ignored the successes they've had and the lessons learned by other manufacturers. Screw 'em.
wap

coogles wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:47 pm Thing is, VW used to be the brand with simplicity at its core too, at least as far as the user experience. A big part of why my wife loved the Atlas, coming from a 2012 RDX and comparing it with the Telluride and MDX, was that all of the controls were simple. Buttons where necessary for everyday things, but not a sea of buttons like the Acuras. Simple controls, easy and intuitive to use. Zero need to dig through menus for endless things. Even the drive modes can be accessed with a simple turn of the knob on the console. But now with the MK8 that's all gone to shit. Honda figured it out with the new Civic, VW completely ignored the successes they've had and the lessons learned by other manufacturers. Screw 'em.
Yep, they did this to themselves, no doubt. They CHOSE this route. :|
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:09 pm

They all look the same from the back
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:03 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:17 pm

:Bruh:
The Mk8 has the GTI badge in the middle of the hatch, under the handle, instead of on the left side.
wap

max225

wap wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:05 pm Image
Is that the mk9 ?
wap

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:05 pm
wap wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:05 pm Image
Is that the mk9 ?
:notsure:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

There’s a whole lot of copium in the owner threads about the infotainment being “not that bad” or “you get used to it”. I still really don’t buy it when pretty much every review has said it’s awful. The fact that the climate and volume control isn’t backlit blows my mind. “Oh just use the voice commands”. Has anyone ever used voice commands in their cars? They were always trash.

Stick the drivetrains from the Mk8 into the body of the 7.5 and you’ve got a winner.
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:03 pm

The Mk8 has the GTI badge in the middle of the hatch, under the handle, instead of on the left side.
And thats basically it. So.... they look nearly identical.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:17 pm
wap wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:04 pm

Those not jacking off to EQB have called my Golf a Yaris...and that "they had one also". Hence the Turbo Yaris nickname that stuck.
Last edited by max225 on Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:12 pm

There’s a whole lot of copium in the owner threads about the infotainment being “not that bad” or “you get used to it”. I still really don’t buy it when pretty much every review has said it’s awful. The fact that the climate and volume control isn’t backlit blows my mind. “Oh just use the voice commands”. Has anyone ever used voice commands in their cars? They were always trash.

Stick the drivetrains from the Mk8 into the body of the 7.5 and you’ve got a winner.
One thing I am never doing is reading the 500 page car manual at night and memorizing specific commands to tell my car to turn on a seat heater.

I'm sure you get used to it, or just accept the level of frustration in dealing with it. Most of what you actually touch will be the volume slider, and the rest I'm sure is easy enough to use the touch screen for. Auto HVAC and such means you don't ever need to touch those controls so why clutter things with them. I just know that for me, I'd punch my fist through the screen if I couldn't quickly quiet a loud radio commercial or too-loud phone ringer.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:20 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:17 pm

Those to jacking off to EQB have called my Golf a Yaris...and that "they had one also". Hence the Turbo Yaris nickname that stuck.
Can you get a light up VW badge yet?
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:24 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:20 pm

Those to jacking off to EQB have called my Golf a Yaris...and that "they had one also". Hence the Turbo Yaris nickname that stuck.
As mentioned the best and brightest went to the ID programs...
Behold.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:26 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:24 pm

As mentioned the best and brightest went to the ID programs...
Behold.
Need