Griff :plac: on nears full mast... Cayman review and other musings

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:19 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:48 am Well, I tracked the :poorvette: Saturday and now I'm even more :notsure: on selling it. The experience was excellent, the car was a beast and held up without any issue. All of the other guys in the novice class running with me were in Eurotrash cars and all of them were taking cool down laps, under the hood during breaks trying to find leaks, worrying about brakes crapping out. It really made me appreciate my car. I am on over one year old brake fluid, mostly just stock everything and the car was great fun and never felt made of glass. The only really shit thing was the damn seat. Wow. One of my sessions it just reclined suddenly and fell back against the wall behind the seats. It feels bad constantly.

I'm thinking that having the freedom of no car payments which could allow me to track whenever I want/have time, is a pretty nice situation.

I need to do some serious thinking in the short term. I'm definitely going to need new tires, I have to decide if I want to try to pursue a square setup or just some stock replacements if I'm going to sell the car.

:notsure:
That's the thing about this car...it's just such a beast in high performance environments. Anything you buy will be a downgrade unless you spend more than double what the :poorvette: is worth.

That said, keep in perspective how much you'll actually do track dayzz and if it's truly worth keeping a car for that purpose. I bought mine thinking I'd be at the track 6 times a year...when I've managed maybe 2 a year since I bought it. Still a fun thing to do when you can...I hope to get out more this year.

Didn't you just buy new tires?
:word:

I really loved the track day and Allison was happy I liked it and laughed when I told her I'd already paid for another day at a discount. That said, you're absolutely right, realistically, six or eight days per year would be the best I'm going to get, likely less. I will :doit: :doe:

I wouldn't say I'd be exactly "keeping the car for that purpose", it's an all around fun car for mountain trips, tail of the dragon, track, putzing around. I certainly wouldn't go :fullretard: track car or anything, this (or the Cayman or Z or whatever) will still be my only car until I change jobs to something with a commute. It just made me really think about a car change. Getting a Cayman would be much more money, I'd have car payments again. My reality is that, sure, I could afford that, but it would certainly eat into my budget for things like track days, modz, etc. Is it really worth it to scrape less and have a bit of luxury? :iono: maybe, but :notsure: . I also already have a bike carrying solution, maintenance up to date, most of the modz done that take the suck out of the :poorvette: .

Also, since I'm looking for a job, if I keep the :poorvette: as a "fun car" , I can go a little bit more for the "DD" when the time come, maybe an E90/E92, :manuel: ATS or something rather than a used Mazda3.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:34 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:19 am
That's the thing about this car...it's just such a beast in high performance environments. Anything you buy will be a downgrade unless you spend more than double what the :poorvette: is worth.

That said, keep in perspective how much you'll actually do track dayzz and if it's truly worth keeping a car for that purpose. I bought mine thinking I'd be at the track 6 times a year...when I've managed maybe 2 a year since I bought it. Still a fun thing to do when you can...I hope to get out more this year.

Didn't you just buy new tires?

I really loved the track day and Allison was happy I liked it and laughed when I told her I'd already paid for another day at a discount. That said, you're absolutely right, realistically, six or eight days per year would be the best I'm going to get, likely less. I will :doit: :doe:

I wouldn't say I'd be exactly "keeping the car for that purpose", it's an all around fun car for mountain trips, tail of the dragon, track, putzing around. I certainly wouldn't go :fullretard: track car or anything, this (or the Cayman or Z or whatever) will still be my only car until I change jobs to something with a commute. It just made me really think about a car change. Getting a Cayman would be much more money, I'd have car payments again. My reality is that, sure, I could afford that, but it would certainly eat into my budget for things like track days, modz, etc. Is it really worth it to scrape less and have a bit of luxury? :iono: maybe, but :notsure: . I also already have a bike carrying solution, maintenance up to date, most of the modz done that take the suck out of the :poorvette: .

Also, since I'm looking for a job, if I keep the :poorvette: as a "fun car" , I can go a little bit more for the "DD" when the time come, maybe an E90/E92, :manuel: ATS or something rather than a used Mazda3.
Very sound logic, IMO. And it's a big reason why my car stays around. I don't want to spend that much money on a fun car...it's nice to have something that requires no payments and has low operating costs...which makes it more fun to own. When you get into having a DD, the equation changes a lot...and I think the 2 car plan is the best option for those of us ailed by :plac:

ATS :manuel: s have gotten stupid cheap, BTW.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:40 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:34 am

Very sound logic, IMO. And it's a big reason why my car stays around. I don't want to spend that much money on a fun car...it's nice to have something that requires no payments and has low operating costs...which makes it more fun to own. When you get into having a DD, the equation changes a lot...and I think the 2 car plan is the best option for those of us ailed by :plac:

:word: :poorvette: makes a lot of sense, maybe I could :plac: through a few used, cheap DDs. I've always loved the E46 so much... they're cheap but mostly turds now, but a 330 would be pretty rad to own.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:12 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:40 am Very sound logic, IMO. And it's a big reason why my car stays around. I don't want to spend that much money on a fun car...it's nice to have something that requires no payments and has low operating costs...which makes it more fun to own. When you get into having a DD, the equation changes a lot...and I think the 2 car plan is the best option for those of us ailed by :plac:

:word: :poorvette: makes a lot of sense, maybe I could :plac: through a few used, cheap DDs. I've always loved the E46 so much... they're cheap but mostly turds now, but a 330 would be pretty rad to own.
E90's are so cheap, I'd probably go that route if I were you. A 330 or 328 e90 would be :jimp:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well I'll be trying out a 370Z for a few days next weekend... I think it's keep :poorvette: , get Cayman, get Z, or get C6 at this point. I love the Mustang but they're so big and heavy, I think after the initial excitement, I'd miss the C5. I love the E90 M3 but concerned about maintenance.

Am I forgetting anything? I'm still sort of entertaining the 86 and ND but they lose utility and powah from the C5, :notsure: if that's worth it for more money.

I'm kinda hoping the Z is meh and I'll just :scrooge: :poorvette:
ChrisoftheNorth

It's always best to not :plac:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:41 pm Well I'll be trying out a 370Z for a few days next weekend... I think it's keep :poorvette: , get Cayman, get Z, or get C6 at this point. I love the Mustang but they're so big and heavy, I think after the initial excitement, I'd miss the C5. I love the E90 M3 but concerned about maintenance.

Am I forgetting anything? I'm still sort of entertaining the 86 and ND but they lose utility and powah from the C5, :notsure: if that's worth it for more money.

Can you link us to the Z. Options kind of make or break that car IMO.

A base non touring Z is just so blah inside or out... it also costs 30k new vs near 50k for a nisbro.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Speaking of car payments, I have less than 2 years left to payoff my mexican yaris. So I really thought about going a year without a car payment after I paid it off (currently owe $9,500). By that time, I’ll probably be in the neighborhood of 80k. Almost a year, I haven’t had any issues whatsoever. That said, i’m debating on whether fix my curb raped stocks (2/4) or get new wheels. Only time can tell. It kills me on the inside when i see other clean mexi yaris’s on the road.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:41 pm Well I'll be trying out a 370Z for a few days next weekend... I think it's keep :poorvette: , get Cayman, get Z, or get C6 at this point. I love the Mustang but they're so big and heavy, I think after the initial excitement, I'd miss the C5. I love the E90 M3 but concerned about maintenance.

I thought about downgrading from a gti to 86 too and I :nope: unless they offer a turbo engine and wouldn’t have issues on the ease of getting power, like tuning. It’s sad cause they are fun to drive and that’s really all it offers.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:54 pm Speaking of car payments, I have less than 2 years left to payoff my mexican yaris. So I really thought about going a year without a car payment after I paid it off (currently owe $9,500). By that time, I’ll probably be in the neighborhood of 80k. Almost a year, I haven’t had any issues whatsoever. That said, i’m debating on whether fix my curb raped stocks (2/4) or get new wheels. Only time can tell. It kills me on the inside when i see other clean mexi yaris’s on the road.
Finish paying it off, get new wheels, drive it payment free for 2-3 years before getting something else.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:02 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:54 pm Speaking of car payments, I have less than 2 years left to payoff my mexican yaris. So I really thought about going a year without a car payment after I paid it off (currently owe $9,500). By that time, I’ll probably be in the neighborhood of 80k. Almost a year, I haven’t had any issues whatsoever. That said, i’m debating on whether fix my curb raped stocks (2/4) or get new wheels. Only time can tell. It kills me on the inside when i see other clean mexi yaris’s on the road.
Finish paying it off, get new wheels, drive it payment free for 2-3 years before getting something else.
Smart idea is smart. And i barely modded my mk7. I just simply enjoy spending money on other things that are more meaningful in life than just modding my car.

Pretty much the plan is to keep it till it hits 100k
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:06 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:02 pm

Smart idea is smart. And i barely modded my mk7. I just simply enjoy spending money on other things that are more meaningful in life than just modding my car.
:gtfo:
0 scene cred for you
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:07 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:06 pm

0 scene cred for you
I hard park almost everyday and on lowering springs :iono:
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:08 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:07 pm
0 scene cred for you
+2 scene creds for you
+1 more if you have wheel spacers because reasons.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:10 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:08 pm

+2 scene creds for you
15mm all around baby! Cause the stock offset are more tucked in compared to the mk6 and that bothers me
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:11 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:10 pm

+2 scene creds for you
15mm all around baby! Cause the stock offset are more tucked in compared to the mk6 and that bothers me
You can also use the secret vape multiplier... if you hold on in your redbull holder! :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:43 pm

A base non touring Z is just so blah inside or out... it also costs 30k new vs near 50k for a nisbro.
https://turo.com/rentals/cars/ca/davis/ ... 70z/373348

No idea what package it is, it can at least give me an overall feeling on the car. I don't really care about the tech/luxo features but sport things would be nice.
max225

D Griff wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:11 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:43 pm

https://turo.com/rentals/cars/ca/davis/ ... 70z/373348

No idea what package it is, it can at least give me an overall feeling on the car. I don't really care about the tech/luxo features but sport things would be nice.
Yea I get that... ok looked at the car it is the 30k base model.
It comes on as tires that are narrow, doesn’t come with the epic fixed calipers and no rear lsd :( but the chassis, steering, size should still be good. And give you a good idea about it, get ready for the turning circle it’ll blow your mind.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote:
D Griff wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:11 pm https://turo.com/rentals/cars/ca/davis/ ... 70z/373348

It comes on as tires that are narrow, doesn’t come with the epic fixed calipers and no rear lsd :( but the chassis, steering, size should still be good. And give you a good idea about it, get ready for the turning circle it’ll blow your mind.
Yeah after hearing you talk about the brakes I know I'd want them if I was buying one. I can always :dillerman: test drive, but the weekend trip is nice for actually seeing what it's like to live with the car.
max225

D Griff wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:47 pm
max225 wrote:
Yeah after hearing you talk about the brakes I know I'd want them if I was buying one. I can always :dillerman: test drive, but the weekend trip is nice for actually seeing what it's like to live with the car.
Yea the thing that i hated the most about this car was the lack of rear wheel liners, they are bare metal, so with sticky tires you'd get rocks thrown against the body and the inside literally sounded like a tin can with a marble bouncing around. Which is why i dynamatted, the shit shit out of that car.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

:jimp:

You should check out a Miata too. Miata is always the answer.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:18 pm :jimp:

Aaaaaaaand we've come full circle.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

well griff did had an NA miata in the past, and he can confirm.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote:

well griff did had an NA miata in the past, and he can confirm.
:dat:

I'd like to check out an ND but I don't think it's really right for me in this case. Too small to be my only car, expensive, 'vert means no track days and I'm hoping to do more of those.

I guess I could NC PRHT but that doesn't excite me too much. It's also nice to be able to use my car for weekend mountain and beach trips and that would be hard in even an NC due to size.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote:
MexicanYarisTK wrote: well griff did had an NA miata in the past, and he can confirm.
:dat:

I'd like to check out an ND but I don't think it's really right for me in this case. Too small to be my only car, expensive, 'vert means no track days and I'm hoping to do more of those.

I guess I could NC PRHT but that doesn't excite me too much. It's also nice to be able to use my car for weekend mountain and beach trips and that would be hard in even an NC due to size.
What about the ND RF?, can’t really speak for the price for the

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk