Griff :plac: on nears full mast... Cayman review and other musings

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:jimp:

Have you driven one?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Worth a test drive. These have dropped $4-8k since I was looking last year. Getting something like that for under 30 is pretty solid IMO, just understand the price floor on these is probably about $8k and they'll continue to depreciate pretty hard down to that.

Test drive it? Interested to hear what you think of that car with :manuel: I thought that MT would really wake that car up.

Also, just noticed..... has two different tires, a SumiBROmo and a Blizzak.... :butwhy: esp if it just got 4 brand new tires according to the Fox? And 10k OCI's according to Fox. Which is probably OK I guess but these engines do suffer from carbon buildup just not as bad as the N54's do.

09-2016 - Tire serviced
12-2016 - 1 tire replaced
08-2017 - 2 tires replaced
01-2018 - 4 tires replaced

Gotta love run flats and no spare :wtf: was this guy driving over? Just NFG plowing into potholes? Pay attention to the steering and see if it shakes at high speed, def take this on the highway, I'd expect a ram is bent if he's gone through this many tires. M235i rams are notoriously soft.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I drove an M2 briefly, in anger, its :jimp:
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:34 am
Worth a test drive. These have dropped $4-8k since I was looking last year. Getting something like that for under 30 is pretty solid IMO, just understand the price floor on these is probably about $8k and they'll continue to depreciate pretty hard down to that.

Test drive it? Interested to hear what you think of that car with :manuel: I thought that MT would really wake that car up.

Also, just noticed..... has two different tires, a SumiBROmo and a Blizzak.... :butwhy: esp if it just got 4 brand new tires according to the Fox? And 10k OCI's according to Fox. Which is probably OK I guess but these engines do suffer from carbon buildup just not as bad as the N54's do.

09-2016 - Tire serviced

Gotta love run flats and no spare :wtf: was this guy driving over? Just NFG plowing into potholes? Pay attention to the steering and see if it shakes at high speed, def take this on the highway, I'd expect a ram is bent if he's gone through this many tires. M235i rams are notoriously soft.
:word:

This one is in Fairfax :rudy: / TurkTeo land and I'm not driving up there to visit a :dillerman: , just a lot of car for under $30k, hadn't really thought about one of these. It's more practical and newer which is nice, but I'm sure doesn't drive as well as the Cayman and will be a lot more expensive to own as you pointed out.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:47 am

09-2016 - Tire serviced

This one is in Fairfax :rudy: / TurkTeo land and I'm not driving up there to visit a :dillerman: , just a lot of car for under $30k, hadn't really thought about one of these. It's more practical and newer which is nice, but I'm sure doesn't drive as well as the Cayman and will be a lot more expensive to own as you pointed out.
It's not even in the same realm as a Cayman, honestly. These aren't sports cars. An E9x M3 doe... that might be entertaining to check out.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

09-2016 - Tire serviced

You can fix run flats. I did it just fine ...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:26 am

09-2016 - Tire serviced

You can fix run flats. I did it just fine ...
:dat: , as long as you dont run lots of miles at speed on the 'flat'
brain go brrrrrr
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:57 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:47 am

It's not even in the same realm as a Cayman, honestly. These aren't sports cars. An E9x M3 doe... that might be entertaining to check out.
E9x m3 is a fking time bomb. But it is completely at the bottom of the depreciation curve. They will be the only na v8 m3s are worth a lot down the road.

They are currently getting ragged to absolute shit by their 3rd owners. Wrapz, Vapez, stanze etc
max225

That’s not a bad price for a cpo. 55% of msrp after 3 years and a warranty! Good deal
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:37 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:57 am
E9x m3 is a fking time bomb. But it is completely at the bottom of the depreciation curve. They will be the only na v8 m3s are worth a lot down the road.

They are currently getting ragged to absolute shit by their 3rd owners. Wrapz, Vapez, stanze etc
Yeah the engines are flawed but that’s the same with any M motor. Now is the time to get one though because they have hit their floor IMO. Good condition will only get harder and harder to find once vapenation gets their hands on them.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:44 am
max225 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:37 am

Yeah the engines are flawed but that’s the same with any M motor. Now is the time to get one though because they have hit their floor IMO. Good condition will only get harder and harder to find once vapenation gets their hands on them.
Yep you can get a pretty darn nice one for mid 20s. I just wish there wasn’t so much shit that can go wrong with these.

Fixing cars sucks, especially m cars, especially if you can’t do it yourself
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:47 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:44 am

Yep you can get a pretty darn nice one for mid 20s. I just wish there wasn’t so much shit that can go wrong with these.

The crank bearing issue in these really does suck.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:50 am
max225 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:47 am

The crank bearing issue in these really does suck.
Don’t forget that they are nearly a decade old at this point. After all the issues with my crown Vic and he 325ic I used to have, you really get a feel for old cAr issues...
hell my e46 had really strange old car issues as well.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

09-2016 - Tire serviced

The M235i /N55 has very little carbon build up issues per the US forum/German forum etc etc. Not a major concern so far at all. My valves were spotless at 89000km's. Drive and enjoy. Good luck if you test it. I posted a pic recently with my valve cover removed to be replaced. Valve train was spotless with 10-12000km oil changes.

Griff get that Porsche. Not as many around get something like a coupe later on......
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Davestr wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:34 am Worth a test drive. These have dropped $4-8k since I was looking last year. Getting something like that for under 30 is pretty solid IMO, just understand the price floor on these is probably about $8k and they'll continue to depreciate pretty hard down to that.

09-2016 - Tire serviced

The M235i /N55 has very little carbon build up issues per the US forum/German forum etc etc. Not a major concern so far at all. My valves were spotless at 89000km's. Drive and enjoy. Good luck if you test it. I posted a pic recently with my valve cover removed to be replaced. Valve train was spotless with 10-12000km oil changes.

Griff get that Porsche. Not as many around get something like a coupe later on......
Thanks for the tips, man! Nice to hear from an actual owner.

I do also love the E90... But it scares me as far as cost more than the Porsche. Not only in money, but in time. The last thing I want is to come home from traveling every weekend to a $25k paper weight. My gf would also likely hate that and I'm trying to keep her in the "car hobby is cool with me" camp here.

I've always wanted a BMW though, always liked 'em. Also, Melon and I always get the same cars, so maybe a BMW is my destiny :lolol:

Melon got GTI, I got one around the same time.

I got a Miata, Melon got one slightly after.

I got a C5, Melon crashed at my apartment, drove mine, then flew to my town later to buy one.

Melon buys E30.... :notsure:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The scrape stops here.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:41 pm
The scrape stops here.
POTD for the man from near The Wells
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:39 pm
Davestr wrote:

I do also love the E90... But it scares me as far as cost more than the Porsche. Not only in money, but in time. The last thing I want is to come home from traveling every weekend to a $25k paper weight. My gf would also likely hate that and I'm trying to keep her in the "car hobby is cool with me" camp here.

I've always wanted a BMW though, always liked 'em. Also, Melon and I always get the same cars, so maybe a BMW is my destiny :lolol:

I got a C5, Melon crashed at my apartment, drove mine, then flew to my town later to buy one.

Just remember bmws are shit poser mobiles, that are good for nothing. Don’t sell your ultimate sports car for a Camry
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:18 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:39 pm

Just remember bmws are shit poser mobiles, that are good for nothing. Don’t sell your ultimate sports car for a Camry
:dat: unless you get a proper M car.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I'm kind of getting cold feet on the whole car change thing :scrooge:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:22 am I'm kind of getting cold feet on the whole car change thing :scrooge:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:22 am I'm kind of getting cold feet on the whole car change thing :scrooge:
It's dat :poorvette: lyfe mang. Can't shake it.

Also, spending a lot of money on cars is stupid when there's so many better things to spend it on.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:29 am

Also, spending a lot of money on cars is stupid when there's so many better things to spend it on.
Like Pinshit.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Apex wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:13 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:29 am

Like engagement rings.
:dat:
brain go brrrrrr