Could you/would you DD a sports car/sedan?

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.

Would you DD a sports car/Sedan?

Yes, I am not some god damn snowflake pussy
69%
No, I have issues that prevent me from ruling the roads
14%
Fuck you :225:
17%

Total votes: 29
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:14 pm
4zilch wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:37 am So is this a hypothetical or are you asking me realistically- would I buy a sport sedan today?
One and the same... could you in your current condition. We're not talking about buying a sports car and driving it once a month. We're talking about DD'ing it.

I am shocked to see the 11 :yeth: 's because no one here is doing that outside of dave.
STi's don't count then?
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Max, do you have a specific car in mind? I know you've mentioned a The small Merc AMG, a Lexus, and something else in the past.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Melon wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:18 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:16 pm

:wub: :dat:
I mean, as an only car? I'd get a sedan like a WRX or something, I wouldn't want to DD a Corvette, but if push came to shove, I'd offload the :truk: and daily the C5 in ah eart beat.
Yep. I guess I was just trying to see if someone on here truly valued the drive so much that they're willing to put up with the sports car drawbacks. I suppose the answer is a more obvious... :truk: since everyone prefers to DD that including myself.
max225

Melon wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:20 pm Max, do you have a specific car in mind? I know you've mentioned a The small Merc AMG, a Lexus, and something else in the past.
well, even those come with certain drawbacks and they are not that "sporty" outside of a straight line.

This thread was more of a hypothetical to see how hardcore some of us are on here.. when it comes to "driving pleasure"
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:20 pm
Melon wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:18 pm

I mean, as an only car? I'd get a sedan like a WRX or something, I wouldn't want to DD a Corvette, but if push came to shove, I'd offload the :truk: and daily the C5 in ah eart beat.
Yep. I guess I was just trying to see if someone on here truly valued the drive so much that they're willing to put up with the sports car drawbacks. I suppose the answer is a more obvious... :truk: since everyone prefers to DD that including myself.
I mean, sure? The daily grind ain't so pleasureful for me, and I have to car shuffle to get the C5 out of the garage, at 5:30 am, that's a big :nope:
If the roads were more interesting, I might think differently.

:truk: is comfort, with some utility thrown in, and it's preference for me., so it's the perfect vehicle, plus, it's by far the best equipped vehicle in my fleet.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:22 pm
Melon wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:20 pm Max, do you have a specific car in mind? I know you've mentioned a The small Merc AMG, a Lexus, and something else in the past.
well, even those come with certain drawbacks and they are not that "sporty" outside of a straight line.

This thread was more of a hypothetical to see how hardcore some of us are on here.. when it comes to "driving pleasure"
:word:

Honestly, I'd :poorvette: more if I didn't have to car shuffle.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:26 am

Wanna buy a blue rally car?
If it had mounts for a roof rack. :trollface:
:iswydt:

:sad:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

4zilch wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:37 am So is this a hypothetical or are you asking me realistically- would I buy a sport sedan today?
One and the same... could you in your current condition. We're not talking about buying a sports car and driving it once a month. We're talking about DD'ing it.

I am shocked to see the 11 :yeth: 's because no one here is doing that outside of dave.

Given my current situation, no, cost and functionality are factors that I can't overlook.

Though to be fair, I constantly try to justify sportscar as only car in my head.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:20 pm

STi's don't count then?
:iono: I want a Miata but they don't have dog perches or bike hauling ability. Everyone knows I'm not a car enthusiast anyway.
max225

4zilch wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:31 pm

Given my current situation, no, cost and functionality are factors that I can't overlook.

Though to be fair, I constantly try to justify sportscar as only car in my head.
Cost wise... I mean there is always a used miata... and it comes with the obvious drawbacks. I think most of us are not willing to put the driving experience above all else. Even though the poll shows otherwise.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:02 pm Pointless deadhorse beating thread is pointless. Good work.
:popcorn:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Melon wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:11 pm Image
This needs to be a DFDmoji.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

wap wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:36 pm
Check the request line.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

2nd'd
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

:dat:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:33 pm

Cost wise... I mean there is always a used miata... and it comes with the obvious drawbacks. I think most of us are not willing to put the driving experience above all else. Even though the poll shows otherwise.
FiST driving experience is 4.5/7 :doe: at legal-ish speeds, has rubberband tars, and anus shattering suspension. It just happens to be useful and has a stout turbro engine and :manuel:

Maybe the answer is a hitch on an ND Miata....
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

There are always other considerations. For pure entertainment on public roads, I'd probably want something like a supercharged Elise but there's no way I'd have one as an only car if I could afford one at all.

A Cayman, 911, FRS, RX8, E36/46 type car though? That's a pretty good compromise as long as you don't keep it stupidly low or stiff. It's mainly the convertibles that get really loud and impractical, coupes can be pretty nice places - certainly no worse than a base corolla.

The only thing I ever do that I couldn't do in a Cayman is haul around sets of wheels and tires, but if I only had one car then I wouldn't be doing that anymore - or I could steal the wife's car for it. RX8 back seat can fit a set of 285's though, so even that "issue" is gone.
max225

4zilch wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:46 pm

FiST driving experience is 4.5/7 :doe: at legal-ish speeds, has rubberband tars, and anus shattering suspension. It just happens to be useful and has a stout turbro engine and :manuel:

FWD Breh... non IRS out back... tons of drawbacks, it is a compromise car, undeniably fun but still.. it was designed with utility in mind.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:48 pm
4zilch wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:46 pm

FWD Breh... non IRS out back... tons of drawbacks, it is a compromise car, undeniably fun but still.. it was designed with utility in mind.
So is the Fit, but the driving experiences are VASTLY different.

Fun is fun whether it's a Miata or a Mini :doe: - Car offers good feedback, rotates, brakes well, and can comfortably be driven at 9/10th for extended periods.

I mean are we talking lap times or enjoying a fun-to-drive car.

So when you ask us would we DD sports car what draw backs specifically make them shitty for DD use? The obvious one is space and the others are ride quality, MPG, and maintenance.
max225

4zilch wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:04 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:48 pm

Fun is fun whether it's a Miata or a Mini :doe: - Car offers good feedback, rotates, brakes well, and can comfortably be driven at 9/10th for extended periods.

So when you ask us would we DD sports car what draw backs specifically make them shitty for DD use? The obvious one is space and the others are ride quality, MPG, and maintenance.
Space,
Ride height,
Reliability,
Maintenance,
price,
ride comfort,
road noise,
insurance premiums,

Those are the few that come to mind.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote:

C6 when the climate supports it and i don't need thw back seats. Aside from missing modern features it makes a good highway/touring car. Realistically life throws in its own conditions that makes a sports car challenging to DD. I don't think that's really why they build them but as an only car for a single guy in a warm climate i can't see overlooking the option.

Most of us here would dd a sports car but don't have to because reasons.

In summary:
Buy a viper + lease a :jeep: /civic sport/cruze/etc and enjoy life.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Space,
Ride height,
Reliability,
Maintenance,
price,
ride comfort,
road noise,
insurance premiums,

Space - The obvious big one for me.
Ride Height - meh - not a decision factor (for me) - have had plenty of low (and lowered) vehicles - I can deal with it.
Reliability isn't really a decision factor for me - IE it doesn't have to be sports car to be unreliable
Maintenance - meh - (see motorcycle)
Price - Obviously a factor and is part of the "value" perception when considering usability/functionality, but again it doesn't have to be a sports car to be expensive (see :truk: )
Ride comfort and noise are a wash for me - FiST rides like shit and is LOUD. Pretty much anything would be an upgrade
Insurance premiums - not a factor for me when considering purchases

So for me, my decision basically comes down to whether or not a sports car offers enough functionality to DD - for me, realistically, it probably doesn't - or least not worth the hassle to shuffle around cars between Sno and myself.

Perhaps I'm a :unicorn: around here but I don't analyze purchases to this degree
I'm more like:
Within Budget
Fun
Useful
Tow hitch
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Seems to me the solution to this problem is the car Max already has, it's what the whole segment is about. 335/340, S4, C 43, they're all about being comfortable dailies while still providing some driving enjoyment.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I honestly would say the bang for buck for a comfortable "sporty" sedan would probably be a charger r/t, if you don't care about handling much.

Other alternatives would be more expensive, like Audi s4, s6, higher hp e class with AMG pack perhaps, etc.

BMW's have those stupid runflats, hence why they aren't that comfortable.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Space,
Ride height,
Reliability,
Maintenance,
price,
ride comfort,
road noise,
insurance premiums,

If I made money like you (and also didn't compete in anything like you), this would be easy. Buy a new 911 with whatever options you like, drive it. Done.