Cheapest transport you can find for (15k miles a year) :scrooge:

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:32 pm Gonna go look at the Saturn today. :wtf: :popcorn:
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
:popcorn: :mahtroy: :popcorn:
brain go brrrrrr
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:plac:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:48 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:32 pm Gonna go look at the Saturn today. :wtf: :popcorn:
Dat plastic fantastic needs to be replaced. Metal cars are so 1940s.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Interior is shit, but they're neat little cars.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:48 pm
:plac: :plac: :plac:
:plac: :mahtroy: :plac:
:plac: :plac: :plac:
troyguitar

Drove car, it was OK. Kinda looks worse in person than in the photos, but what do you want for $1500... dunno if I'll :doit:

Plastic body obviously has no rust, but other fasteners and shit underneath looked like they might be annoying. Clutch doesn't slip at all but engagement is high, drivetrain feels solid but the shifter is really sloppy, interior is like new, mileage is super low at 108k for a 1996. Has rear drum brakes which are :disgust: so I'd end up swapping those out for the optional discs. I'd probably end up with $3k in the car total over the course of the next year, after which it would cost next to nothing to drive. Worth it? :iono:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:47 pm Drove car, it was OK. Kinda looks worse in person than in the photos, but what do you want for $1500... dunno if I'll :doit:

Plastic body obviously has no rust, but other fasteners and shit underneath looked like they might be annoying. Clutch doesn't slip at all but engagement is high, drivetrain feels solid but the shifter is really sloppy, interior is like new, mileage is super low at 108k for a 1996. Has rear drum brakes which are :disgust: so I'd end up swapping those out for the optional discs. I'd probably end up with $3k in the car total over the course of the next year, after which it would cost next to nothing to drive. Worth it? :iono:
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-14043-Shi ... B000TYONCI
Replace the shifter bushing, sharpens it up a shit load.

I think they're cable clutch cars, so there might be an adjustment for the engagement.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:50 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:47 pm Drove car, it was OK. Kinda looks worse in person than in the photos, but what do you want for $1500... dunno if I'll :doit:

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-14043-Shi ... B000TYONCI
Replace the shifter bushing, sharpens it up a shit load.

I think they're cable clutch cars, so there might be an adjustment for the engagement.
Melonius Airboatus, homeless sportscar expert.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

How do you get to 3k? Are you going to switch to switch out the entire suspension with :waxer: parts + wheels+tires with new shiny ones?
troyguitar

max225 wrote:

How do you get to 3k? Are you going to switch to switch out the entire suspension with :waxer: parts + wheels+tires with new shiny ones?
Car 1500
KYB struts/mounts/boots/bumpstops 400
Maybe some springs 200
Front strut bar and rear sway bar 250
Misc other bushings/hardware and alignment 250
Fluids/filters/plugs/etc all around 200ish
Cheapo stereo unit 100, 200 with speakers

Plus whatever random unexpected crap is needed like a battery or who knows.

My goal wouldn't be the cheapest car possible - it's the cheapest car that I actually enjoy driving. I'd probably bring it out to :troll: the local autox events too.
troyguitar

Ballz. I think I'm gonna :nope: out on this. The rust underneath is giving me flashbacks to my old allroad and I don't love the car enough to deal with that crap.

I can't bring myself to drive NFG with cheap tarz/suspension/brakes or unknown drivetrain maintenance. Everything worth doing is worth doing right.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:33 am Ballz. I think I'm gonna :nope: out on this. The rust underneath is giving me flashbacks to my old allroad and I don't love the car enough to deal with that crap.

I can't bring myself to drive NFG with cheap tarz/suspension/brakes or unknown drivetrain maintenance. Everything worth doing is worth doing right.
Yeah with cars like this you kind of just need to look at them as appliances. Get them to "good enough" status and just NFG :dealwithit: Make sure the brake pads have meat and the tires aren't garbage, and if the dampers aren't blown then :aintcare:
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:46 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:33 am Ballz. I think I'm gonna :nope: out on this. The rust underneath is giving me flashbacks to my old allroad and I don't love the car enough to deal with that crap.

Yeah with cars like this you kind of just need to look at them as appliances. Get them to "good enough" status and just NFG :dealwithit: Make sure the brake pads have meat and the tires aren't garbage, and if the dampers aren't blown then :aintcare:
I guess I'd be better off getting something with a good frame/body that needs an engine or some other work that I can actually do. Rust repair isn't in my playbook. Need to learn how to weld.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

cheaper to keeper
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:21 pm

cheaper to keeper
Most likely :dat:

I'm going to hold off for something that I really enjoy, the overall cost won't be that much higher over time anyway since cars that I like more will have non-zero resale value.
max225

Kind of the point of the thread... not make a cheap racekar that would be an MR2.
We're talking cheap/reliable transport... Cheapest per mile cost that doesn't leave you stranded and keeps up with traffic.
troyguitar

Yeah, because making something halfway decent to drive == RACEKAR!

Fuck off.

I haven't raced anything beyond karts in my life and probably never will.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:34 pm

Kind of the point of the thread... not make a cheap racekar that would be an MR2.
We're talking cheap/reliable transport... Cheapest per mile cost that doesn't leave you stranded and keeps up with traffic.
When buying a car, any car, remember.... Step 1: Figure out how it will class in autocross and what mods will be required to get you top PAX placement.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:41 pm Yeah, because making something halfway decent to drive == RACEKAR!

Fuck off.

I thought you're racing the MR2? And the Vette? :dafuq: ? :stig:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:52 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:34 pm

When buying a car, any car, remember.... Step 1: Figure out how it will class in autocross and what mods will be required to get you top PAX placement.
Where would a :jeep: place ?
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:55 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:52 pm

Probably upside-down.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:56 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:55 pm

Probably upside-down.
Not after Konis, lowering/load-leveling, 4wd delete and Kumho Ecsta V710 all around
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:59 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:56 pm

Probably upside-down.
Not after Konis, lowering/load-leveling, 4wd delete and Kumho Ecsta V710 all around
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/meet-con ... tour-2017/
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:41 pm Yeah, because making something halfway decent to drive == RACEKAR!

Fuck off.

Autox isn't even close to racing, but it's fun and cheap.

It doesn't take much to make most cars significantly better to drive. Why not do that unless you're truly poor or a :rudy: who doesn't care?
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:04 pm
max225 wrote:
Autox isn't even close to racing, but it's fun and cheap.

It doesn't take much to make most cars significantly better to drive. Why not do that unless you're truly poor or a :rudy: who doesn't care?
Bruh the point of this thread is :scrooge: if you're not :scrooge: you can lease an M3 arguably one of the best DD's for the street.