BMW 2017 430i GC Review

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

:whocares: some may... I was surprised by this car... not in a good way.

So first things first I dropped off my 335i for its rape service... this was my loaner...
2017 430i 1300 miles options...
It had biggish wheels
HID lights
Sport seats
Moon roof
I think that is it...

First things first... anyone claiming BMW "Fixed" the steering for this year over the last is full of SHIT. It feels identical with maybe a bit more weight, but this isn't even noteworthy, if you put both cars into sport there is no notable difference in steering feel.

Lets talk about the "good"
The brakes while non waxables felt very similar to my car.
I prefer the exterior bodyshape to a 3 series car looks really good.
The engine makes as much noise as my 6 cyl, while a shittier noise
Um... that's it.

Let's talk about the "bad":
First off the driving experience and that shitty 4 banger.
The two missing cylinders are a big deal, there is no going around it. Going for the 4 is shitty, you're reminded about it CONSTANTLY.
The magazines claim this car has about the same 0-60 as my 3 series... I don't understand how it is possible. This car feels pedestrian in almost every way, and the power delivery is vastly different with some turbo lag, and constant reminders that you went cheap, rougher idle, shittier sound etc.
Example of this being you're on the freeway and you're trying to accelerate, while my car keeps it in 8, this car HAS TO DROP into 7th, creating lag every time you give it a bit of gas, it is really annoying. Car just feels slow until 3000 rpm, so unless you wind it out... you're driving nothing better than a camry.
I did not like how the 8 speed performs in this car... there is just constant endless shifting to accelerate or a screaming 4 banger during agressive driving... there is no "effortless power" as with the 6.

Now with regards to handling...
This car felt my car in the "soft" setting... yet all the time. The adjustable shocks actually make a big difference I suppose.. it goes from noodle to sporty... this car is just in noodle mode all the time. :disgust: I couldn't tell that this had 2 cylinders chopped off, handling was very similar... :225: s yay.

Now to the interior features:
Base stereo is OK, not as good as HK but acceptable.

Now with regards to the bodystyle:
The rear has less headroom than the 3 series, and the rearward visibility is shittier compared to a 3. I am not sure I'd pay extra for this.... 3 series is the superior bodystyle... cheaper, more back seat space and pretty much just as useful. The hatch is very slanted and barely adds any space, although I do think it looks better.

There is not one thing that this car did better than mine... perhaps MPG, but :whocares: indicated average is 24.5 mine is 22.5

Overall, I am pretty :disgust: with this car... I suppose that is expected. But I would have to say for a true sporty car driving experience you can't get it with the 4 banger, the 6 is a must. If you're getting a 4 you might as well drive a camry, or you'll have to get a lighter body like a 2 coupe... the 4 series is no bueno with this powertrain combo.

:updated for stereo review change,
Last edited by max225 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
max225

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

BMW has understood it's market, and people are still dumb enough to dump $30k more as opposed to a camry for a fucking badge.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

The lack of door frames also has more windnoise... and that weird build issue around the A pillar.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Typical. BMW fanboys claiming their ultimate driving machine has been restored with the LCI... Full on fap fest. :yeahok: Thanks for clarifying what I expected the truth to be on the steering claims.

:disappoint:

The rest of it, the 4cyl has pretty decent 0-60 numbers but we all know that's mostly bs in real world driving. Sad to hear about the lag. The constant shifting is expected as this makes less torque, and I could see how it would get annoying especially if the engine doesn't sound particularly good when revving out.

So 6 cyl or bust.

Also really upsetting to hear the audio system blows chunks. Maybe they source their speakers from the same supplier Subaru uses.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:12 pm Typical. BMW fanboys claiming their ultimate driving machine has been restored with the LCI... Full on fap fest. :yeahok: Thanks for clarifying what I expected the truth to be on the steering claims.

:disappoint:

The rest of it, the 4cyl has pretty decent 0-60 numbers but we all know that's mostly bs in real world driving. Sad to hear about the lag. The constant shifting is expected as this makes less torque, and I could see how it would get annoying especially if the engine doesn't sound particularly good when revving out.

So 6 cyl or bust.

Also really upsetting to hear the audio system blows chunks. Maybe they source their speakers from the same supplier Subaru uses.
Yea mang... Don't expect me to sugar coat any of this MAJOR IMPROVEMENT BS... I'll call it out how I see it.

My HK sound is very good, one of the best stock stereos, but I wouldn't be able to handle the stock... I thought someone fucked with the settings... so I went through them... nope... it is just THAT BAD.

Honestly, I can't imagine a 320i with base halogens and that stereo. I'd rather drive a civic sport at that point.

You really have to get stereo+lights+bigger motor to get a sporty "BMW" driving experience. The base level life is shit... even though the 430i wasn't exactly base...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:02 pm Image
Literally undrivable.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225

Melon wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:04 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:02 pm Image
Literally undrivable.
Don't you have jeep threads to police?
max225

[user not found] wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:08 pm Any 3/4 series without the dynamic damper control is a fucking noodle. Such a :flaccid: flopfest.

I don't disagree with max about the suspension - or the engine, really. Sound isn't great.

That being said, the 30i models have some decent scoot to them for being a 4-cylinder.

I don't really have enough wheel time to comment on much more and give the full :dillerman: :koolaid: experience. Maybe later today I'll go drive a 428xi GC and 430xi GC back to back.
I suppose I had an expectation of improved handling thanks to lack of weight over the front that everyone mentions.... also the 30 models got the "better" engine that is as fast on paper as the 35i of the past. However, in practice, it is quite blah.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:06 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:04 pm

Literally undrivable.
Don't you have jeep threads to police?
Too busy scratching mah massive balls.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:14 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:08 pm Any 3/4 series without the dynamic damper control is a fucking noodle. Such a :flaccid: flopfest.

I don't disagree with max about the suspension - or the engine, really. Sound isn't great.

That being said, the 30i models have some decent scoot to them for being a 4-cylinder.

I don't really have enough wheel time to comment on much more and give the full :dillerman: :koolaid: experience. Maybe later today I'll go drive a 428xi GC and 430xi GC back to back.
I suppose I had an expectation of improved handling thanks to lack of weight over the front that everyone mentions.... also the 30 models got the "better" engine that is as fast on paper as the 35i of the past. However, in practice, it is quite blah.
No torque.
max225

Melon wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:21 pm

No torque.
:dat: Torque is life.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:19 pm

The 40i is so much better. I love the silky smoothness of dat 6.
It really is worth the upcharge... if you're blowing 50k on a badge mobile might as well put a non-mini engine in it.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Max, your car is pretty top tier, it's going to be difficult to find something better, other than a bespoke M-car.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:26 pm

It really is worth the upcharge... if you're blowing 50k on a badge mobile might as well put a non-mini engine in it.
BMW and straight 6
Like high fructose corn syrup and Type-2 Diabeetus
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tell that to the ROW market where you dump the money on a 420d or i with cloth seats that's slower than a GTI.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:35 pm

Tell that to the ROW market where you dump the money on a 420d or i with cloth seats that's slower than a GTI.
Which is why we are #1.... errr #2 after china.
max225

Melon wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:28 pm Max, your car is pretty top tier, it's going to be difficult to find something better, other than a bespoke M-car.
I was certainly reminded by that today... I drove a 45k pile compared to my car... yet to everyone else it looks "the same" and IT HAS A HIGHER NUMBER on the back. so it is better :sissyfight:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:44 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:28 pm Max, your car is pretty top tier, it's going to be difficult to find something better, other than a bespoke M-car.
I was certainly reminded by that today... I drove a 45k pile compared to my car... yet to everyone else it looks "the same" and IT HAS A HIGHER NUMBER on the back. so it is better :sissyfight:
:lolol:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:43 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:35 pm

Which is why we are #1.... errr #2 after china.
Murica is still one of the greatest countries in the world, even when this shitball of our president showed up.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Nice review. Fully agree. 6 or hit Honda, Toyota or some other badge if you want 4cyl life. That thing you drove is the spec rental/fleet set up here.
max225

Davestr wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:38 pm

Nice review. Fully agree. 6 or hit Honda, Toyota or some other badge if you want 4cyl life. That thing you drove is the spec rental/fleet set up here.
Just did another check... Apparently, I basically have a 0 option 4 series...
43,500 MSRP. For only $700 you can get suspension and for $795 stereo.

After that it is :notbad: still no engine but for :derp: ing around it is ok... 440i starts at 49k... full 6k more...

Track handling for $1700 would be epic... PSS tires, better tires, brakes and suspension.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:17 pm So here’s my take.

The LCI is better. But incrementally. For :science:, I drove a 2015 428i xDrive GC against a 2018 430i xDrive GC. Both were M-sport equipped with DDC.

Steering is absolutely improved. While I would not call it great, it is much better. Previously it felt... very numb. Like piloting a spoon through mashed potatoes. On the 2018, it doesn’t feel as numb but it feels much better off of center, and as you increase the steering angle it builds heft nicely.

Suspension feels better, not as crashy and more refined. Engine notes are similar, while the sound isn’t that bad between either... the buzzy vibration from the 4-cylinder isn’t as nice.

Brake-wise, there's a big difference. The 2018 M-sport gains the monoblock calipers in the front. :dedong:

Visually, there’s not much of a difference. The LCI gains fog lights, better taillight design, and a few tweaks inside.

Photos (2015 top, 2018 bottom):
Not really fair to compare a new car to one that is 3 years old... These are way more optioned out than my 430GC btw... i don't have the extended dash, or M wheels, brakes, suspension. And I am on no season tires.
max225

I just noticed.... 50k miles :lolgasm: yea forget that... that car is toast in BMW land... my fake sport at 25k feels used against the new one... in some ways...
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:25 pm
Davestr wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:38 pm

Just did another check... Apparently, I basically have a 0 option 4 series...
43,500 MSRP. For only $700 you can get suspension and for $795 stereo.

After that it is :notbad: still no engine but for :derp: ing around it is ok... 440i starts at 49k... full 6k more...

Track handling for $1700 would be epic... PSS tires, better tires, brakes and suspension.
Yea its a nice semi sport luxo cruiser at the base level with the options you noted above, and sorta reasonable price with full on badge. The extra 6k is worth it to gain the torque etc etc and that smoothness the 6 brings.