Jeep Mods

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:04 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:57 pm

Ah, yeah I don't have any recent experience driving anything larger than the GTI or Michelle's Maxda3, so the decreased braking capacity of the Jeep felt "normal" to me since I was expecting it to be worse than those tiny cars.
https://www.extremeterrain.com/wilwood- ... 657&intl=0

Wonder how these are... you don't really need rear upgrades since 90% of the braking is done in the front.
Minimum 18" wheel doe. The mopar kit should fit under my Willy wheels and it's half the cost of the :amir: approved \\\W brakes.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

http://baer.com/13.5-Front-Pro-Brake-Sy ... 01000.html

Check out these bad boys... they apparently fit 17s.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Why not just slap some new pads in first?
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:18 pm http://baer.com/13.5-Front-Pro-Brake-Sy ... 01000.html

Check out these bad boys... they apparently fit 17s.
Those look good, but goddamn those are expensive.

It'd be really cool to see test of a few different BBKs to see which one actually offers the best stopping performance/$.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

From what I can tell, there are only 2 options for fixed calipers.
Baer for 17s and at $1800
Wilwood for 18s and at around $1200
floaty caliper systems are around 1/2 the price. I don't like the idea of the new master and clutch cylinder etc, that's a lot of fking work for a brake job. I wonder what the best real world performance is though. From brake pedal feel to actual stopping distance.
Real world driving my dads 300s with floating calipers brakes about the same as my 335i, not sure about extreme braking.

The OEM upgrade may be a good one since you get bigger rotors+more cylinder fluid push etc.

~$850 for that ... however, they are designed for 5000-5800lb TRUKs + up to 10k lb trailers... so
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/52ddbea ... 1691804fc7

$295 for brackets and larger rotors. Keep the stock calipers.

But I'd probably swap in a $70 set of pads and THEN try this before going :fullretard: on waxable calipers. They make a kit for rears too if you care.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:50 am https://teraflex.com/shop_items/52ddbea ... 1691804fc7

But I'd probably swap in a $70 set of pads and THEN try this before going :fullretard: on waxable calipers. They make a kit for rears too if you care.
I'd go that route before :troywax: on some waxables...
SAWCE

SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:24 pm So maybe that cover plus this https://www.extremeterrain.com/dirtydog ... 7-blk.html

I'm sure there are cheaper options out there, but these at least give me an idea of what I'm looking for and then I can shop around to find the best value.
Happened to see someone on one of the Heep forums selling this. Like new condition for half the cost of new. Still pricey, but I think it looks cooler than just a normal net like we talked about hanging, and he happens to be on my way up to big bear this weekend, so picking it up Sunday on my way home.
Apex

I :like: it :sawce:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:impressive: product. Its like a wall of seat belts! :fuckyeah:
SAWCE

Thanks guys. I’ll post up picks and a review after it’s installed
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:50 am https://teraflex.com/shop_items/52ddbea ... 1691804fc7

My dad bought those for his. Fucking stupid. And nearly pointless. The caliper has the same surface grab area. Your just outsetting it which has negligible impact on grab.
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:13 am

My dad bought those for his. Fucking stupid. And nearly pointless. The caliper has the same surface grab area. Your just outsetting it which has negligible impact on grab.
Doesn't change how hard it grabs, it give the pad more leverage to stop the vehicle. The braking moment increases since it's a function of pounds of force (friction force the pads generate) x distance from center of rotation. Move the distance out and you generate more of a moment. I would not be surprised if this shaved 10 feet off 70-0 braking.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:19 am

Doesn't change how hard it grabs, it give the pad more leverage to stop the vehicle. The braking moment increases since it's a function of pounds of force (friction force the pads generate) x distance from center of rotation. Move the distance out and you generate more of a moment. I would not be surprised if this shaved 10 feet off 70-0 braking.
:dat: :science:

It should reduce overal braking distance, but if the complaint is lack of initial bite, that’s 99% pad compound.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P

4zilch wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:35 am

It should reduce overal braking distance, but if the complaint is lack of initial bite, that’s 99% pad compound.
That. I didn't have a problem with the initial bite, I had a problem with the lack of braking power in general from the system. But that's all personal preference. I wouldn't want grabby brakes for off roading, the system as it is now is pretty decent for that, with good modulation just not a lot of ass to stop you at speed.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I understand force rotation and leverage just fine.

I’m saying that it’s funking stupid to change to that. Just run upgraded pad or go Bbk.

Waste of money. As someone who has stock and driven that. You can :math: all you want it’s a dumb mod that you’ll not have standard easy find brake parts and negligible performance gain.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

People that upgrade jeep braking over more than pads are :derp: imo. It’s not a sports car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote:
SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:24 pm So maybe that cover plus this https://www.extremeterrain.com/dirtydog ... 7-blk.html

I'm sure there are cheaper options out there, but these at least give me an idea of what I'm looking for and then I can shop around to find the best value.
Happened to see someone on one of the Heep forums selling this. Like new condition for half the cost of new. Still pricey, but I think it looks cooler than just a normal net like we talked about hanging, and he happens to be on my way up to big bear this weekend, so picking it up Sunday on my way home.
Cheating on us with another forum, are ya?

:foreveralone:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

dubshow wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:19 am Doesn't change how hard it grabs, it give the pad more leverage to stop the vehicle. The braking moment increases since it's a function of pounds of force (friction force the pads generate) x distance from center of rotation. Move the distance out and you generate more of a moment. I would not be surprised if this shaved 10 feet off 70-0 braking.

I’m saying that it’s funking stupid to change to that. Just run upgraded pad or go Bbk.

Waste of money. As someone who has stock and driven that. You can :math: all you want it’s a dumb mod that you’ll not have standard easy find brake parts and negligible performance gain.
Someone is :madbro: he got out :science: 'd.
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:31 am

Which is why I said I'd do pads first then this if pads alone weren't enough. This plus pads will have a major impact, and will be good for 50k miles at least before you need to change rotors. It will also cost less than $400. Show me a BBK worth a damn that's $400. Not like pads and rotors will be any easier to get with a :waxer: BBK.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:48 am
dubshow wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:31 am

Which is why I said I'd do pads first then this if pads alone weren't enough. This plus pads will have a major impact, and will be good for 50k miles at least before you need to change rotors. It will also cost less than $400. Show me a BBK worth a damn that's $400. Not like pads and rotors will be any easier to get with a :waxer: BBK.
Lolol. I’m saying it’s a fucking wasted mod. Throw money at a non solution to a non issue.

Keep driving your :jeep: bro.

You’re probably just a shill for a shit product for all that free steak.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I can’t understand why you would blindly recommend a product that you have no experience with
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Also show me how breaking distance is increased with mud tires
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:26 am
4zilch wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:35 am

That. I didn't have a problem with the initial bite, I had a problem with the lack of braking power in general from the system. But that's all personal preference. I wouldn't want grabby brakes for off roading, the system as it is now is pretty decent for that, with good modulation just not a lot of ass to stop you at speed.
Available potential force and pedal feels/modulation has a lot do with MC/caliper piston surface ration (leverage). It’s highly subjective. Pad design has an effect on modulation too :doe:

I’m kinda surprised that ppl put BBK and waxables on these things :doe: I dont really see a real world need for such things on a :jeep: except for perhaps heavy towing needs.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:40 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:48 am

Lolol. I’m saying it’s a fucking wasted mod. Throw money at a non solution to a non issue.

Keep driving your :jeep: bro.

You’re probably just a shill for a shit product for all that free steak.
:math: doesn't lie, Dubs. But whatever. I don't even own a Jeep and probably never will so I :aintcare: what y'all do.