:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:15 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:25 pm A 4-door Mini Cooper S, with ass warmers, sport package, roof rails, and an automatic is $32 grand.

That seems like a lot. :iono: My car was only $2500-ish more.

New cars are expensive doe.
The four door Mini seems really neat, but it is a hard sell for the price when GTI, WRX, FOST, are all less.
Right, that's a damn tough pill to swallow.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SixSpeeder wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:07 pm
:disgust:

He wants to buy something to teach stick to others? :butwhy:

A proper teacher can teach in any car with zero damage to the clutch or vehicle.
Naw, my GF stalled the fuck out of my WRX multiple times and gave up since 10% throttle equalled full boost in that car, plus the revs kept climbing even with the lightest of touch on the accelerator. She didn't stall my Abarth a single time. The Camaro would have been easy to teach her on also since it has properly progressive accelerator pedal tuning on it.
You only bolded part, can teach in any car with zero damage to the clutch. She didn't hurt the car by stalling it a bunch, but she certainly didn't "learn". I agree that some cars are much harder to learn on than others, but you can't break them by the learning process.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:20 pm

Naw, my GF stalled the fuck out of my WRX multiple times and gave up since 10% throttle equalled full boost in that car, plus the revs kept climbing even with the lightest of touch on the accelerator. She didn't stall my Abarth a single time. The Camaro would have been easy to teach her on also since it has properly progressive accelerator pedal tuning on it.
You only bolded part, can teach in any car with zero damage to the clutch. She didn't hurt the car by stalling it a bunch, but she certainly didn't "learn". I agree that some cars are much harder to learn on than others, but you can't break them by the learning process.
:dat:
With a good instructor you can learn decently quickly and you're not going to damage much by stalling.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

If she had bought that car (if I had bought that car as my first manual car), the clutch wouldn't last long great teacher or not.
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
SixSpeeder

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:21 pm
With a good instructor you can learn decently quickly and you're not going to damage much by stalling.
Gotta get it moving eventually.
ChrisoftheNorth

SixSpeeder wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:23 pm
If she had bought that car (if I had bought that car as my first manual car), the clutch wouldn't last long great teacher or not.
Why? Did you have to ride the clutch to get it to engage?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

The Subaru dealer told me they get WRXs in all the time, most still pretty new, for new clutches.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:25 pm

Throttle is ludicrously sensitive in the WRX. Unnecessarily so. Its REALLY tricky to start smoothly in that car.
ChrisoftheNorth

When my dad taught me how to :manuel: he would yell "FOOT OFF THE CLUTCH" all the time to get me in the habit of being on the clutch as little as possible. That's how you minimize wear.

Slowly let out clutch until car starts moving
Hold the clutch in that spot
Once moving, FOOT OFF THE CLUTCH

I hear this in my head still when driving. :lolol:
SixSpeeder

The revs don't hold steady even if you're barely touching the accelerator, that made it hard to take off in 1st smoothly without over-revving even for a very experienced manual driver .
SixSpeeder

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:26 pm
Throttle is ludicrously sensitive in the WRX. Unnecessarily so. Its REALLY tricky to start smoothly in that car.
ChrisoftheNorth

SixSpeeder wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:28 pm
The revs don't hold steady even if you're barely touching the accelerator, that made it hard to take off in 1st smoothly without over-revving even for a very experienced manual driver .
Oh, interesting. Seems like something one could get used to doe?
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:30 pm

Mostly. Took a while for me though, and the STI isn't as bad as the WRX is.
Johnny_P

SixSpeeder wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:30 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:26 pm

My WRX test drive was a bunch of bucking insanity with every shift. The STI was so much smoother.
ChrisoftheNorth

Wow, crazy.

Needs moar displacement I think.
SixSpeeder

Not really. I could drive the car smoothly of course, but it was always a glaring fault. It had a great engine, a great transmission, excellent unflappable handling, and I've got nothing bad to say about the clutch, but the accelerator tuning was just awful for drivability, like a 17 year old turned it up to 11 becauseracekar.
ChrisoftheNorth

SixSpeeder wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:39 pm
Not really. I could drive the car smoothly of course, but it was always a glaring fault. It had a great engine, a great transmission, excellent unflappable handling, and I've got nothing bad to say about the clutch, but the accelerator tuning was just awful for drivability, like a 17 year old turned it up to 11 becauseracekar.
That's inexcusable. It's fucking software, there's no reason for that. Were there modes that would change it?
SixSpeeder

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:36 pm
SixSpeeder wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:30 pm

My WRX test drive was a bunch of bucking insanity with every shift. The STI was so much smoother.
Yep.
SixSpeeder

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:39 pm
SixSpeeder wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:39 pm

That's inexcusable. It's fucking software, there's no reason for that. Were there modes that would change it?
No, one mode. :flaccid:
ChrisoftheNorth

SixSpeeder wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:39 pm
That's :bs:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:44 pm
SixSpeeder wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:41 pm

That's :bs:
STI gets the 3-mode throttle. It goes from fast to faster to batshit. It's manageable at the slowest throttle setting, where the middle is fun on a back road. The fastest setting is :fullretard: and uncontrollable.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:26 pm When my dad taught me how to :manuel: he would yell "FOOT OFF THE CLUTCH" all the time to get me in the habit of being on the clutch as little as possible. That's how you minimize wear.

brain go brrrrrr
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

The 11 WRX I had I had no issues requiring clutch riding. Needed more revs than I was used to before getting it moving but thats it. I was the 2nd owner and when I traded it in with 62k on the clock the stock clutch was fine
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:26 pm When my dad taught me how to :manuel: he would yell "FOOT OFF THE CLUTCH" all the time to get me in the habit of being on the clutch as little as possible. That's how you minimize wear.

:fuckyeah:
SixSpeeder

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:55 pm The 11 WRX I had I had no issues requiring clutch riding. Needed more revs than I was used to before getting it moving but thats it. I was the 2nd owner and when I traded it in with 62k on the clock the stock clutch was fine
We're talking about the 2015+ WRX