:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:20 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:06 am
I was looking for automatics :zing:

https://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/d/2 ... 94959.html

I have no idea if this passes the cute test. But it's a car you'd enjoy driving too. Will get pretty low gas mileage if that matters, IDK if it does. PRHT is better for year round driving than a rag top IMO. 4 seater means doggie can come too.
This is an epic :tits: mobile. The perfect convertible. They think it's so fun to say they have one, but then when they never use it, it's a normal car.

:notbad:
:dat: the top will be put down like 4 times total and when she's over the top part, it's just a normal, pretty nice car. Still quiet on the highway, still a hard top so less break-in chances, better in the winter than a cloth top where she'll be cold...
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Convertible anywhere but places where the average annual temperature is 60-70 is :fullretard: or :troywax:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:27 am Convertible anywhere but places where the average annual temperature is 60-70 is :fullretard: or :troywax:
Weather here is nice, winter is only two months really.

A little back info:

She'd keep her 2012 paid off Fusion. She needs a four door, she nannies part time for a family after work a few nights a week for extra dough.

This would be a cheap "fun" car for her. This is why I think something like an Eclipse actually makes a lot of sense. A decent car is easily $2500 or less, low risk and could probably be sold for $2k the next summer if she decides she doesn't use it. Solara or Saab might also fit the bill here. If it were an only car, that infiniti would be perfect.

FWIW:

-she likes driving with the targa off, we're just both bitches about the two minutes of time it takes
-it's totally get money, her call, I am just here to help check mechanically/reliability and find decent stuff for her
-her dad owns a tire /repair biz so I'm not always on the hook for working on this
-my mom lowers the roof on her 'vert almost every drive, don't think I've ever ridden with her top up, some broads know how to use a hair tie

I'm kinda hoping the want just blows over, we'll see.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I still want a wrangler which is why I asked about the ease of lowering the top. If I was to get one, she could drive it some. Hard top isn't an option with nowhere to store it.

She can drive a :manuel: , she refuses to drive the 'vette because of the ride height, not the transmission.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:27 am
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:27 am Convertible anywhere but places where the average annual temperature is 60-70 is :fullretard: or :troywax:

A little back info:

She'd keep her 2012 paid off Fusion. She needs a four door, she nannies part time for a family after work a few nights a week for extra dough.

This would be a cheap "fun" car for her. This is why I think something like an Eclipse actually makes a lot of sense. A decent car is easily $2500 or less, low risk and could probably be sold for $2k the next summer if she decides she doesn't use it. Solara or Saab might also fit the bill here. If it were an only car, that infiniti would be perfect.

FWIW:

-she likes driving with the targa off, we're just both bitches about the two minutes of time it takes
-it's totally get money, her call, I am just here to help check mechanically/reliability and find decent stuff for her
-her dad owns a tire /repair biz so I'm not always on the hook for working on this
-my mom lowers the roof on her 'vert almost every drive, don't think I've ever ridden with her top up, some broads know how to use a hair tie

Cheap fun reliable

Pick any two words above. $2500 eclipses are likely beat to shit by prior owners, and I don't see how they are fun
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:48 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:27 am

A little back info:

FWIW:

Cheap fun reliable

Pick any two words above. $2500 eclipses are likely beat to shit by prior owners, and I don't see how they are fun
Definitely not fun for me... But for her somehow? :tits:

Some of the cheap ones look weirdly clean on CL.

For some reason she doesn't like roadsters :rolleyes:

This is the ultimate "Miata is the answer" situation, but she won't.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Cheap, fun, reliable, anus shattering: :poorvette:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:29 am I still want a wrangler which is why I asked about the ease of lowering the top. If I was to get one, she could drive it some. Hard top isn't an option with nowhere to store it.

She can drive a :manuel: , she refuses to drive the 'vette because of the ride height, not the transmission.
The Wrangler probably is the right option as a 3rd car for your guys to share.

Though, even the tent top doesn't come down easy. The targa on the C5 is 10x easier. On a Wrangler, you have to unzip the side and rear window, put them somewhere, then drop the stop, which involves undoing the windshield and sides. It's probably 5 minutes of work.

That's why most people just leave the soft top down. If you have a place inside to park it (garage) it's a viable option. When I had my CJ7 in CA, I think I had the top up like 2 times for the 8 months I had it. Top off the rest of the time ZFG. That's the fun part of a Wrangler.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:55 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:29 am I still want a wrangler which is why I asked about the ease of lowering the top. If I was to get one, she could drive it some. Hard top isn't an option with nowhere to store it.

The Wrangler probably is the right option as a 3rd car for your guys to share.

Though, even the tent top doesn't come down easy. The targa on the C5 is 10x easier. On a Wrangler, you have to unzip the side and rear window, put them somewhere, then drop the stop, which involves undoing the windshield and sides. It's probably 5 minutes of work.

That's why most people just leave the soft top down. If you have a place inside to park it (garage) it's a viable option. When I had my CJ7 in CA, I think I had the top up like 2 times for the 8 months I had it. Top off the rest of the time ZFG. That's the fun part of a Wrangler.
That would be cool...but outside parking only... :poverty:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:58 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:55 am The Wrangler probably is the right option as a 3rd car for your guys to share.

Even with a condo? :|
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:13 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:58 am

We have three parking spots and street parking. It's a suburban townhouse, not a hip, :millennial: urban condo with parking deck.
Johnny_P

A 4-door Mini Cooper S, with ass warmers, sport package, roof rails, and an automatic is $32 grand.

That seems like a lot. :iono: My car was only $2500-ish more.

New cars are expensive doe.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:13 pm
We have three parking spots and street parking. It's a suburban townhouse, not a hip, :millennial: urban condo with parking deck.
Oh, you have 3 parking spots just for you guys? :impressive:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:25 pm A 4-door Mini Cooper S, with ass warmers, sport package, roof rails, and an automatic is $32 grand.

:dat: is the problem.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:27 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:15 pm

Oh, you have 3 parking spots just for you guys? :impressive:
Yeah. It's a nice place and it's almost 20 miles from downtown. Space isn't an issue, it's just... Far out and no garage.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:25 pm A 4-door Mini Cooper S, with ass warmers, sport package, roof rails, and an automatic is $32 grand.

The four door Mini seems really neat, but it is a hard sell for the price when GTI, WRX, FOST, are all less.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

https://reading.craigslist.org/cto/d/20 ... 23577.html

only like 2300 manuals made. Would hoon
ChrisoftheNorth

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:52 pm https://reading.craigslist.org/cto/d/20 ... 23577.html

:unicorn:

A buddy in CA had one as a hand-me down from his parents. There's a reason they only made 2300 of them...they sucked. The trans was a blatant afterthought...really not enjoyable in the least.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:56 pm
dtraill27 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:52 pm https://reading.craigslist.org/cto/d/20 ... 23577.html

A buddy in CA had one as a hand-me down from his parents. There's a reason they only made 2300 of them...they sucked. The trans was a blatant afterthought...really not enjoyable in the least.
lol my friend is looking for a beater to teach stick on did come across this one wonder if you could get it for less than 300
https://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 83553.html
ChrisoftheNorth

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:01 pm

lol my friend is looking for a beater to teach stick on did come across this one wonder if you could get it for less than 300
:disgust:

He wants to buy something to teach stick to others? :butwhy:

A proper teacher can teach in any car with zero damage to the clutch or vehicle.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:07 pm

A proper teacher can teach in any car with zero damage to the clutch or vehicle.
his only stick car he has is a porsche 944 and his wife is afraid she'll break it but i agree seems a little crazy
Johnny_P

:dat:
Also. No V8 no care.
ChrisoftheNorth

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:09 pm

his only stick car he has is a porsche 944 and his wife is afraid she'll break it but i agree seems a little crazy
Such a fallacy. The only way a student can break a manual trans car is if the teacher is shitty and lets student ride the clutch.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

Naw, my GF stalled the fuck out of my WRX multiple times and gave up since 10% throttle equalled full boost in that car, plus the revs kept climbing even with the lightest of touch on the accelerator. She didn't stall my Abarth a single time. The Camaro would have been easy to teach her on also since it has properly progressive accelerator pedal tuning on it.
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:12 pm

:dat:
Also. No V8 no care.
Brub > all, yes.