:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Caspian wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:56 pm Isn't the combustion engine obsolete already? It's been a hundred years, why are you humans still wasting so much time over it?
:science:
Some ppl still breed horses. Humans are stubborn creatures.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:39 am Not sure how bad DC is, but the golf was perfect for SF since it would fit between a lot of the inbetween "driveway" spots where longer cars couldn't. It was legit superior to longer cars for that very reason... but 164" is short AF...
Some streets in DC are narrow, especially when some 2 way streets can barely fit 2 cars, so you have to pull up in front of a driveway/alley entrance to let the oncoming car pass by and along with the lines. Parking is just like how you described (unless you park at tourist areas, where all the museums are), even if I dump the GTI, I know for sure I will regret it when I come around to park. I even once did a 6 point park in a spot cause it was tight as fuck, and I was glad I have a reverse camera.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

golfsedan16 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:37 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Essentially cars like m3 and so on makes more sense, cause they can handle, but that isn't what challenger is meant to me and the power is simply just overkill then, especially in VA. Therefore the r/t makes more sense in that aspect, amirite?

That said, I did enjoy driving around the v6 charger rental, it has the comforts of an SUV but it's a regular car (ie not crossover). I was never tempted to drive like I do with my GTI.
R/T and V6 doesn't give peen badge extension doe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
still not the point. m3 gives a better bang while the chally scat does not, where it is better off having a regular R/T.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Ballz, looked up FRZ prices again. You can get one in the $10-12k bracket, but ones that you'd actually want to buy are still more like $13-15k.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... de1=SUBBRZ

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... de1=SCIFRS

Or you can go full Ray Ray and get some kind of fucked up salvage car:

:derp: :plac:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:52 pm Ballz, looked up FRZ prices again. You can get one in the $10-12k bracket, but ones that you'd actually want to buy are still more like $13-15k.

FRZ might work better for your intended purpose than the Boxster :iono:

I'd rather own the Porsche doe. It won't depreciate much where the FRZ will. Flat 6 > flat 4. And drop top is :jimp:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I'm actually pretty surprised that the FRZ hasn't depreciated more than it has.

I too would Porsche, doe.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:27 am I'm actually pretty surprised that the FRZ hasn't depreciated more than it has.

I truly loved the way that car drove. Probably should have bought one of those for $20k and had way less money sitting on the street collecting parking dings. Just didn't think it was able to carry bikes. Which I haven't even done yet with my car. Sigh. I make these criteria that I never actually use.

They're not overly reliable though, lots of issues with the first 2-3 model years that never got resolved. And yeah, a Boxster would be extremely entertaining. I think the BRZ might drive just a hair better out of the box, but it's also way slower stock for stock and doesn't sound nearly as good.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:52 pm Ballz, looked up FRZ prices again. You can get one in the $10-12k bracket, but ones that you'd actually want to buy are still more like $13-15k.

FRZ might work better for your intended purpose than the Boxster :iono:

I'd rather own the Porsche doe. It won't depreciate much where the FRZ will. Flat 6 > flat 4. And drop top is :jimp:
FRZ is the most logical option but I have a hard time getting excited about it. If a decent one popped up for $10k that would be a different story.
troyguitar

There's also this:

https://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/6138847814.html

Perfect for the cheapest cheap stock class but would mean continuing to have 2 cars because no trunk.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

BRZ reminds me a lot of my 240sx which I really enjoyed owning. I think I'd be bored unless it had more power doe. I'd go Boxster, dat mid engine configuration:jimp:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:57 am There's also this:

Perfect for the cheapest cheap stock class but would mean continuing to have 2 cars because no trunk.
That's a nice Mister 2.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:00 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:57 am There's also this:

That's a nice Mister 2.
:word:

Posted a month ago at less than market price :doe: so it's probably gone, we'll see if they get back to me.

I'm thinking hard about this thing now too:

1991 SE fully loaded in a good color, 2nd owner, 85k miles, southern no-rust car, supposedly all maintenance up to date and everything works. Only issue AFAIK is the rear window in the soft top is broken. Dude is asking $4500 down in ATL area. This and the $5k Spyder are making me feel a lot better than a bottom of the barrel Poorsche right now. Staying <$10k all-in and being able to replace an engine/trans for $1k are pretty appealing. :notsure:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:56 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:00 am

That's a nice Mister 2.
:word:

Posted a month ago at less than market price :doe: so it's probably gone, we'll see if they get back to me.

I'm thinking hard about this thing now too:

1991 SE fully loaded in a good color, 2nd owner, 85k miles, southern no-rust car, supposedly all maintenance up to date and everything works. Only issue AFAIK is the rear window in the soft top is broken. Dude is asking $4500 down in ATL area. This and the $5k Spyder are making me feel a lot better than a bottom of the barrel Poorsche right now. Staying <$10k all-in and being able to replace an engine/trans for $1k are pretty appealing. :notsure:
Also nice! Seems pretty reasonably priced if it includes the hard top.
troyguitar

Hard top included and the dude actually replies to messages with full sentences and in-focus photos.

New:
battery
tires
rotors
pads
fuel pump
fuel filter
plugs
wires
oil
timing belt/waterpump/cam seal/crank seal etc...

Full mod list:

Borla Cat Back exhaust
Canon SubFrame Brace
GR-2 Shocks
Stage 2 Clutch
Redline Tranny Oil
Mazda brace that goes over the parcel tray
Mazda brace from a '92 that goes on the front suspension
Original Voodoo Knob and Brake handle in addition to the BRG wood items.

It's a later '91 so it doesn't have the problematic short-nose crank.

:plac: feels really strong with this one.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:48 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:27 am I'm actually pretty surprised that the FRZ hasn't depreciated more than it has.

I truly loved the way that car drove. Probably should have bought one of those for $20k and had way less money sitting on the street collecting parking dings. Just didn't think it was able to carry bikes. Which I haven't even done yet with my car. Sigh. I make these criteria that I never actually use.

They're not overly reliable though, lots of issues with the first 2-3 model years that never got resolved. And yeah, a Boxster would be extremely entertaining. I think the BRZ might drive just a hair better out of the box, but it's also way slower stock for stock and doesn't sound nearly as good.
How would you compare the power vs your ol' GTI, I would presume more gutless and less feeling fast when accelerating. I know they're about 300 ibs lighter.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Troy that sounds good. A rational caring owner with the right attitude and a sorted car. Thats a deal worth closing potentially!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Davestr wrote:Troy that sounds good. A rational caring owner with the right attitude and a sorted car. Thats a deal worth closing potentially!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:like: I agree, the car is well cared for based on deets. I love the color!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dat diesel lease takeover, it's up in a year and 22k miles left.

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/6156735920.html
Caspian
сибирский
Drives: Horse and wagon

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:45 pm
Caspian wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:56 pm Isn't the combustion engine obsolete already? It's been a hundred years, why are you humans still wasting so much time over it?
:science:
Yeah but we don't need to invade other countries and steal their oil for Americans to have horses. Horses can be bred on your own property for cheap, no need to search for weapons of mass destruction in the middle east in order to have horses and make them multiply. Besides, have you ever witnessed in person horses mating? It's awesome. :jizz: :gaydance:
:themoreyouknow:
Johnny_P

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:30 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:48 am

How would you compare the power vs your ol' GTI, I would presume more gutless and less feeling fast when accelerating. I know they're about 300 ibs lighter.
BRZ vs stock MK6? About even. BRZ was a little slower I guess but you're so low to the ground that 40 feels like warp 5.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Caspian wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:37 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:45 pm

Yeah but we don't need to invade other countries and steal their oil for Americans to have horses. Horses can be bred on your own property for cheap, no need to search for weapons of mass destruction in the middle east in order to have horses and make them multiply. Besides, have you ever witnessed in person horses mating? It's awesome. :jizz: :gaydance:
Last I checked every piece of land in this country is stolen from their rightful Native American owners
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:58 pm
Caspian wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:37 pm

Last I checked every piece of land in this country is stolen from their rightful Native American owners
:dat:
troyguitar

:mahtroy: luck... After he gets back to me with details on the car, I tell the guy I'm ready to buy the BRG miata and ask what his schedule looks like, I'm willing to fly down as soon as this Sunday. Then this is the reply:
Hey Troy,

I'm really sorry, but another buyer has just put a deposit on the car. If this falls through can I contact you? I'll know by tomorrow afternoon the situation a little better...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:52 pm :mahtroy: luck... After he gets back to me with details on the car, I tell the guy I'm ready to buy the BRG miata and ask what his schedule looks like, I'm willing to fly down as soon as this Sunday. Then this is the reply:
Hey Troy,

I'm really sorry, but another buyer has just put a deposit on the car. If this falls through can I contact you? I'll know by tomorrow afternoon the situation a little better...
I call :bs:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:55 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:52 pm :mahtroy: luck... After he gets back to me with details on the car, I tell the guy I'm ready to buy the BRG miata and ask what his schedule looks like, I'm willing to fly down as soon as this Sunday. Then this is the reply:

I call :bs:
:dat: maybe he only wants a local buyer or something? :iono: