:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:05 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:02 am
But it's OK for Tesla to do it?
I wouldn't buy one of those either. They're for rich people that own multiple cars. Really curious to see how the Model 3 turns out but even if it's decent I'd still wait 2 years before getting one so they iron out the bs. That goes for any car. My STI is 3rd model year into it's cycle, I wouldn't have bought a 2015 new.
I thought you were all-in on Tesla for some reason.

Agreed. First year anything is a :nope:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:09 am

I wouldn't buy one of those either. They're for rich people that own multiple cars. Really curious to see how the Model 3 turns out but even if it's decent I'd still wait 2 years before getting one so they iron out the bs. That goes for any car. My STI is 3rd model year into it's cycle, I wouldn't have bought a 2015 new.

I applaud them for trying their damndest to make it work. They're the only electric car manufacturer that gives a shit about it actually working. Everyone else's attempts are just so half assed. But I wouldn't buy one until they start making reliable cars. I mean I guess you can make the case to be a beta tester since it's really rather new technology and they're pioneering it but I don't have time/patience for the bs issues Tesla cars have.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:11 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:09 am

I applaud them for trying their damndest to make it work. They're the only electric car manufacturer that gives a shit about it actually working. Everyone else's attempts are just so half assed. But I wouldn't buy one until they start making reliable cars. I mean I guess you can make the case to be a beta tester since it's really rather new technology and they're pioneering it but I don't have time/patience for the bs issues Tesla cars have.
Volt doe.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:12 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:11 am

Volt doe.
Not a true electric. The equivalent of sticking your foot in the lake and claiming you're swimming.

Bolt doe. We'll see how that holds up. Thing is, Tesla not only built the cars, they built the infrastructure to support them and make them a usable mode of transportation.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:16 am

Volt doe.
Not a true electric. The equivalent of sticking your foot in the lake and claiming you're swimming.

Bolt doe. We'll see how that holds up. Thing is, Tesla not only built the cars, they built the infrastructure to support them and make them a usable mode of transportation.
I think the Volt is the right "EV" for the time. In fact, it's a fully electric car with a gas engine that acts as a generator. It's far more advanced than most plug-ins. With a lack of widely available charging, a pure EV is nothing more than a novel toy with a range less than 300. The Volt can truly be your only car. We've driven it on many road trips. Get great gas mileage...then when you get to a city with charging, you can drive around on electricity. It's truly the best of both worlds, and the best answer for where our infrastructure is at currently.

And it's a marvel of engineering. The gas engine runs as little as possible...almost undetectable. It's a shame that it's so often written off as half-assed when it's actually the opposite.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Volt doe.

I have never seen a Tesla supercharger in my travels around the region. Not once.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:21 am

I think the Volt is the right "EV" for the time. In fact, it's a fully electric car with a gas engine that acts as a generator. It's far more advanced than most plug-ins. With a lack of widely available charging, a pure EV is nothing more than a novel toy with a range less than 300. The Volt can truly be your only car. We've driven it on many road trips. Get great gas mileage...then when you get to a city with charging, you can drive around on electricity. It's truly the best of both worlds, and the best answer for where our infrastructure is at currently.

And it's a marvel of engineering. The gas engine runs as little as possible...almost undetectable. It's a shame that it's so often written off as half-assed when it's actually the opposite.
I saw one the other day at the mall and thought of you Detroit. :wub:

I agree that I think the Volt is the proper car for the current infrastructure. Around me it's easy to find a supercharger, but I'm between NYC and Philly...
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:25 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:21 am

I agree that I think the Volt is the proper car for the current infrastructure. Around me it's easy to find a supercharger, but I'm between NYC and Philly...
I'm sure pure EV's work great in denser areas like the NE. But where I live, cities are hundreds of miles apart, and that is tough to make work with an EV without a larger charging infrastructure. And we always look for charging when we're driving the Volt...there just isn't any outside of big cities. And even then, the chargers are often times broken, occupied (by a non-EV), etc.

Infamous still loves her Volt, doe. I'm surprised how much she likes it, actually. It's been problem-free and a legitimate nice car to own. We'll have it for a long time.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:22 am

I have never seen a Tesla supercharger in my travels around the region. Not once.
They're on the major highways usually at rest stops.
https://www.tesla.com/findus#/bounds/42 ... percharger

It's an impressive amount of infrastructure investment for a startup company, regardless if you think GM is God or not you have to hand it to them for expanding what a true EV is capable of.

I applaud the Volt, but it's designed to be a stepping stone or compromise. You can't take it full cross country on electric like you can with a Tesla. It'll go cross country doe. But it's hauling that gasoline and engine around everywhere for :butwhy: reasons since it doesn't have a 300 mile battery range because GM didn't go balls deep into EV tech with it.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:32 am
Apex wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:25 am

I'm sure pure EV's work great in denser areas like the NE. But where I live, cities are hundreds of miles apart, and that is tough to make work with an EV without a larger charging infrastructure. And we always look for charging when we're driving the Volt...there just isn't any outside of big cities. And even then, the chargers are often times broken, occupied (by a non-EV), etc.

Infamous still loves her Volt, doe. I'm surprised how much she likes it, actually. It's been problem-free and a legitimate nice car to own. We'll have it for a long time.
:notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:33 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:22 am

It's an impressive amount of infrastructure investment for a startup company, regardless if you think GM is God or not you have to hand it to them for expanding what a true EV is capable of.

I applaud the Volt, but it's designed to be a stepping stone or compromise. You can't take it full cross country on electric like you can with a Tesla. It'll go cross country doe. But it's hauling that gasoline and engine around everywhere for :butwhy: reasons since it doesn't have a 300 mile battery range because GM didn't go balls deep into EV tech with it.
Oh, it's certainly :impressive: and it's really what needs to happen to advance EV adoption.

The thing Tesla missed out on is selling the charging to other EV's. Their proprietary charging connector excludes everyone but Tesla owners from using superchargers. If they had adopted the universal charging standard, they could have sold subscriptions to other EV owners and really cashed in on the massive investment. AND really advanced the adoption of EV's. Their infrastructure investments have done little to advance the overall cause.

Though, to your cross country thing...I bet we could cross the country faster in the Volt than in a Tesla. The Volt fills up gas in under 5 minutes...whereas a Tesla takes what...45 minutes to charge up fully? And they have the same range. What the hell do you do at a rest area for 45 minutes? :disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth

And worse...we go up north often. There's one supercharger supposedly on our route, and it's a bit off the highway. What happens if you pull up and it's occupied? You could be waiting hours before you're ready to go.

:nope:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:38 am

Oh, it's certainly :impressive: and it's really what needs to happen to advance EV adoption.

The thing Tesla missed out on is selling the charging to other EV's. Their proprietary charging connector excludes everyone but Tesla owners from using superchargers. If they had adopted the universal charging standard, they could have sold subscriptions to other EV owners and really cashed in on the massive investment. AND really advanced the adoption of EV's. Their infrastructure investments have done little to advance the overall cause.

Though, to your cross country thing...I bet we could cross the country faster in the Volt than in a Tesla. The Volt fills up gas in under 5 minutes...whereas a Tesla takes what...45 minutes to charge up fully? And they have the same range. What the hell do you do at a rest area for 45 minutes? :disgust:
Right it'll certainly take longer in a Tesla. 45 mins for 300 miles is incredible doe and the technology only keeps advancing. Point is, you can in fact do it in a Tesla and under full electric in a vehicle that'll sprint to 60 faster than almost anything else on the road because the design isn't compromised. It's the best you can currently make an EV.

Yes they should have made their superchargers on the international standard and sold subscriptions. Maybe they'll change them later on, we'll see.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:39 am And worse...we go up north often. There's one supercharger supposedly on our route, and it's a bit off the highway. What happens if you pull up and it's occupied? You could be waiting hours before you're ready to go.

:nope:
Give it a few more years. They focused on the major urban centers initially and are rolling out more superchargers as they expand their coverage to more remote areas. The supercharger network is already double the size from when it was initially conceived.

This is all part of the beta thing doe and you have to be OK with that for Tesla to even be considered.

I'd love to own a model S. I don't want to be a tester. I think they have the range and power nailed, they're upgrading the chargers, expanding the coverage, etc. At this point it would be a viable pick for me if I had a place to park and charge. But the cars aren't reliable to the point I'd actually consider owning one, so they gotta work on that. Some people are ok with being a tester because they have the hottest new item and technology. I don't care that much.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:45 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:43 am

Right it'll certainly take longer in a Tesla. 45 mins for 300 miles is incredible doe and the technology only keeps advancing. Point is, you can in fact do it in a Tesla and under full electric in a vehicle that'll sprint to 60 faster than almost anything else on the road because the design isn't compromised. It's the best you can currently make an EV.

Yes they should have made their superchargers on the international standard and sold subscriptions. Maybe they'll change them later on, we'll see.
:dat:

Is the Tesla standard any better than the international standard? I could see a justification if it's more efficient or whatever... but if it's just different to be different. :bruh:
edit: I read wrong..

They pump more juice. SAE international standard chargers pump 19 kW. Superchargers are 120 kW.

SAE uses AC. Superchargers are DC.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:38 am

you got that backwards holmes, Tesla GAVE AWAY all their Ip and the auto industry as a whole iced them out and decided to not use THEIR standard. THEY were first :fax:
brain go brrrrrr
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:02 am
But it's OK for Tesla to do it?
Bought 2015 STi zero issues. That was not a new motor or gearbox redo. Mostly a touch up on the interior and some electronics. Non hatch body. Very much stiffened the chassis overall. Low threat.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Davestr wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:16 pm

Bought 2015 STi zero issues. That was not a new motor or gearbox redo. Mostly a touch up on the interior and some electronics. Non hatch body. Very much stiffened the chassis overall. Low threat.
You only owned it for like 5 minutes :doe:
Davestr

troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:17 pm

You only owned it for like 5 minutes :doe:
I had it over a year with zero issues. The car was not drawing board new at all. Not the parts that cost the most. Build quality issues can arise for any car on any year of production. My 12 GTi was a goat shite bomb of unreliability. Not first year that thing.

My M235i is first year --owned 4 years now. Superb so far. 82000km.

First year Mini Cooper S 2002. Owned 4 years 40,000 miles zero issues outside of the waterpump seal recall.
Johnny_P

Yeah. Even then there were some things with the VA chassis that weren't figured out that got upgraded later on. Minor things. Every manufacturer has teething issues with new vehicles. That multiplies if you change engines and drivelines with the new model.
Johnny_P

https://reading.craigslist.org/cto/d/20 ... 06565.html

98k miles, $5800 :notbad: I always loved these cars. Wookie growl too. Wonder if the 5AT is any good. Max seemed to indicate they're alright if you change fluids which most people don't. Doubt the dudebrah has maintenance records.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:11 pm https://reading.craigslist.org/cto/d/20 ... 06565.html

98k miles, $5800 :notbad: I always loved these cars. Wookie growl too. Wonder if the 5AT is any good. Max seemed to indicate they're alright if you change fluids which most people don't. Doubt the dudebrah has maintenance records.
See if a resident :dillerman: can Fox it for you.
Johnny_P

Crazy deals are crazy :dillerman:
Davestr

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:04 am Image

Compared to the used Infiniti, given your lifestyle and wants, the VW there seems like a nice buy.
Johnny_P

Davestr wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:41 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:04 am Image

Compared to the used Infiniti, given your lifestyle and wants, the VW there seems like a nice buy.
It’s 3x the price of that Infiniti with a tiny dick turbo that will heat soak.