:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:36 am Last fancy VW for the day from me...

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... de1=CAYMAN

31k miles, base model, nicer steering wheel, and butt roasters AND coolers. :megusta: frosty balls. $40 grand. Throw an exhaust on there to get rid of the single butthole problem and you're golden.
This is quite interesting to me. I love the color, love the car... plus it's basically a new car (at least by my poverty standards, coming from a 2003).

I still need to drive all of this shit, but it a new car worth $10k more? Maybe so. Realistically it would still be worth $30k if I just kept it and drove it for four years, making it cheaper than my GTI was. It's just a lot of money to outlay, would have to get a 60 month loan, but on a 2014 that really isn't an issue... :iono: :megusta:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

A 996 4S is appealing to me as well.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:07 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:36 am Last fancy VW for the day from me...

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... de1=CAYMAN

31k miles, base model, nicer steering wheel, and butt roasters AND coolers. :megusta: frosty balls. $40 grand. Throw an exhaust on there to get rid of the single butthole problem and you're golden.
This is quite interesting to me. I love the color, love the car... plus it's basically a new car (at least by my poverty standards, coming from a 2003).

I still need to drive all of this shit, but it a new car worth $10k more? Maybe so. Realistically it would still be worth $30k if I just kept it and drove it for four years, making it cheaper than my GTI was. It's just a lot of money to outlay, would have to get a 60 month loan, but on a 2014 that really isn't an issue... :iono: :megusta:
Right. It'll depreciate but I doubt it drops under 30 in the foreseeable future. An S model is quite a bit more money and I don't know if it's worth it. But it'll retain more value than the base will. I think it will come down to the car itself and the options it has on it and maintenance history.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:59 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:38 am

:drool:
It's a looker for sure. Black probably isn't the most desirable color for these, as most seem to be black or silver on the used market. And it's a bitch to keep clean. I told myself no more black vehicles after my MK6. But even I'll admit that when that car was clean it was OTPHJ worthy, and this looks to be the same.

I really like the contrasting interior on this one. I don't normally like 996 interiors but this looks good. Just need to bring some of the electronics up to date in it but that's comparatively cheap to do. Maybe paint the center console black to match the exterior too, which is a common interior dress up mod on the 996/997 that adds a lot.

I bet this is a riot to drive. Have you ever driven a 996TT?
996 interiors are fairly easy to work with, GT3 console delete makes a really nice difference IMO.

I have not driven a 996TT, but I have driven 997TT's. They pull and pull and pull and pull. At any speed I have had them at they just keeps going.
Then again my dad's 996 C2 kept pulling above 167 prior to the aero-kit addition.

IMO, a 996TT would be a most epic daily driven super car. Especially with the low annual mileage you do :wasteful:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:13 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:07 am

Right. It'll depreciate but I doubt it drops under 30 in the foreseeable future. An S model is quite a bit more money and I don't know if it's worth it. But it'll retain more value than the base will. I think it will come down to the car itself and the options it has on it and maintenance history.
This is the challenge a bit. If you're only going to keep the car for 3-5 years, maintenance records will be important. DIY Walmart oil changes won't cut it. I'd be spending whatever at a well-known Porsche shop for basic maintenance. You'll get that money back when you sell it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:22 am

This is the challenge a bit. If you're only going to keep the car for 3-5 years, maintenance records will be important. DIY Walmart oil changes won't cut it. I'd be spending whatever at a well-known Porsche shop for basic maintenance. You'll get that money back when you sell it.
Things like this make me realize I should go back to poor person land with the sub $30k vehicles. I don't know if I could really drop $150 on an oil change :disgust: .
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:26 am
Things like this make me realize I should go back to poor person land with the sub $30k vehicles. I don't know if I could really drop $150 on an oil change :disgust: .
You don't HAVE to, but it's going to ding the car's resale for sure.

I did all the work on my 944 myself. When I went to sell it, the number of people that :nope: 'd out when I told them I only had DIY maintenance records (receipt for oil with the filter box top stapled to it with mileage written down) was :impressive: And this was on a banged up 20 year old $8k track car. Maintenance records on a Porsche are critical for resale. EVERYONE asks for them.

I can't imagine the demand for a higher priced modern model. I don't think you need $150 :dillerman: oil changes, but you definitely need records from a reputable shop. Probably $100 oil changes.

Unless you keep the car forever...but let's be real here.
Last edited by ChrisoftheNorth on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I need to see if my hockey shit fits better in a cayman or a 911, but one of those is my goal for a DD after the RX8 blows up. E92 M3 or V8 vantage are on the list but I'm thinking that those are too similar to a :poorvette:
Apex

Why not? You would skip on a car because someone did basic maintenance themselves and kept binders and spreadsheets of records for every service and all maintenance/parts that were done on the vehicle?
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:32 am
Why not? You would skip on a car because someone did basic maintenance themselves and kept binders and spreadsheets of records for every service and all maintenance/parts that were done on the vehicle?
I wouldn't. But I've encountered MANY that would. Especially on a pricier car, you're going to limit the market.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:31 am I need to see if my hockey shit fits better in a cayman or a 911, but one of those is my goal for a DD after the RX8 blows up. E92 M3 or V8 vantage are on the list but I'm thinking that those are too similar to a :poorvette:
You'd probably love the Cayman, though I doubt hockey shit will fit in one.

V8 Vantage would be :tits: size be damned. Such an epic car.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:34 am

I wouldn't. But I've encountered MANY that would. Especially on a pricier car, you're going to limit the market.
:derp:
I missed your other reply above. :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I'm with you but don't doubt that Detroit is correct... Porsche people are weird. I mean, I have no receipts of shit for the :poorvette: , I have a spreadsheet to hand someone and say "take my word for it or don't" , which honestly, if I met someone like me would be totally fine, personally. IMO, a lot can be determined about the car's care from just 10 minutes chatting with the owner. You're really buying THAT PERSON'S CAR which is meaningful.
Apex

There is a yellow V8 Vantage that is DD'd near me. It was out at the touchless wash this past weekend getting the salt off of it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:31 am I need to see if my hockey shit fits better in a cayman or a 911, but one of those is my goal for a DD after the RX8 blows up. E92 M3 or V8 vantage are on the list but I'm thinking that those are too similar to a :poorvette:
I've never really understood the 911, rear engine seems kind of ridiculous, as are the prices. But I've also never driven one, so :iono:

The Cayman seems like the most logical intersection of things to me, price, performance, comfort. The Elise I drove in Hethel was by far the best car I've ever drive, absolutely no comparison to anything else, but it was a shitbox. I'm hoping a Cayman will get me 7/10 of that without being a turd to drive around in.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:37 am

I'm with you but don't doubt that Detroit is correct... Porsche people are weird. I mean, I have no receipts of shit for the :poorvette: , I have a spreadsheet to hand someone and say "take my word for it or don't" , which honestly, if I met someone like me would be totally fine, personally. IMO, a lot can be determined about the car's care from just 10 minutes chatting with the owner. You're really buying THAT PERSON'S CAR which is meaningful.
My personal experience was that having records was most important. If you were detailed and had good records, even for DIY stuff, that worked for the people I dealt with. YMMV.
ChrisoftheNorth

This is how I buy cars as well.

But dude...Porsche people are a different league. Sure, there's people like us that buy Porsches, but the vast majority are nuts. Limiting your market to people like us WILL reduce the value of the car. I dealt with it first hand, otherwise I wouldn't believe it.

It could be a regional thing...West Coast Porsche people are more fanatical, but :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:39 am

But dude...Porsche people are a different league. Sure, there's people like us that buy Porsches, but the vast majority are nuts. Limiting your market to people like us WILL reduce the value of the car. I dealt with it first hand, otherwise I wouldn't believe it.

It could be a regional thing...West Coast Porsche people are more fanatical, but :iono:
I believe you wholeheartedly.

I do a lot of podcast listening since I drive so much. I checked out one episode of "Spike's Car Radio" and that show just fucking blows, because it's two dudes masturbating to Porsches, basically saying all other cars are junk and you're a useless poor if you're not in a 911. Later on I discovered he had never even heard of the IMS issue. So basically, :dillerman: service records every 3k or bust with idiots like that. 0/7 would not recommend his podcast to any normal car enthusiast who isn't just sucking Porsche's :dong:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:39 am

My personal experience was that having records was most important. If you were detailed and had good records, even for DIY stuff, that worked for the people I dealt with. YMMV.
Yea, I wonder if there's a regional difference? People on the West Coast want to be able to tell their friends that they bought a car maintained by the BEST Porsche shop in the area, etc.

I always maintain a google sheets spreadsheet on my cars.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:42 am

I do a lot of podcast listening since I drive so much. I checked out one episode of "Spike's Car Radio" and that show just fucking blows, because it's two dudes masturbating to Porsches, basically saying all other cars are junk and you're a useless poor if you're not in a 911. Later on I discovered he had never even heard of the IMS issue. So basically, :dillerman: service records every 3k or bust with idiots like that. 0/7 would not recommend his podcast to any normal car enthusiast who isn't just sucking Porsche's :dong:
Is that by Spike Feresten (sp?) ?
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:31 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:26 am

You don't HAVE to, but it's going to ding the car's resale for sure.

I did all the work on my 944 myself. When I went to sell it, the number of people that :nope: 'd out when I told them I only had DIY maintenance records (receipt for oil with the filter box top stapled to it with mileage written down) was :impressive: And this was on a banged up 20 year old $8k track car. Maintenance records on a Porsche are critical for resale. EVERYONE asks for them.

I can't imagine the demand for a higher priced modern model. I don't think you need $150 :dillerman: oil changes, but you definitely need records from a reputable shop. Probably $100 oil changes.

Unless you keep the car forever...but let's be real here.
Porsche indy shop or dealer will keep resale the strongest. Going to the Valvoline 15-minute oil change station down the street will tank it. A $150 oil change isn't much if it keeps the car from depreciating at all. I bet you could go to an Audi place and get it changed there and that would be sufficient.

The problem for me would be street parking. On cars like this, minor tiny scratches and dings will also obliterate resale. You need to park them in a safe place unfortunately. People will also probably :sass: at driving it in the winter or storing it outside.

$48k is a lot of money, sure, but it's in line with a new Camaro FFS. It's not a 100k supercar anymore.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:43 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:39 am

Yea, I wonder if there's a regional difference? People on the West Coast want to be able to tell their friends that they bought a car maintained by the BEST Porsche shop in the area, etc.

I always maintain a google sheets spreadsheet on my cars.
Very well could be a regional difference. Interesting doe.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 am

Yeah what a douche... although I've never heard any of his comedy or anything. The Car Radio made me want to smash the Bang Bus into a ditch.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:47 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 am

Yeah what a douche... although I've never heard any of his comedy or anything. The Car Radio made me want to smash the Bang Bus into a ditch.
He used to write for Seinfeld. :lol:

He has a show called "Car Matchmaker" on spike or something that I used to watch.
Johnny_P

Yeah I'd just turn that off too. I mean they're good to drive but so are a lot of other cars.