:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:54 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:47 pm

I'm sure corrosion has basically welded those bolts together on the suspension. :disgust:
This is why I'll never buy a used Northern car again. My allroad looked perfect on the inside and on the body, but underneath and in the suspension the thing was totally fucked. It needed all new front and rear subframes and the whole suspension replaced, hubs/knuckles and all. I liked that car too. :sad:
Yeah, it is what it is. Cars rust to shit in the north. At work our fleet of 2005-2007 ish F150s are all starting to show cancer on the body panels. I can't imagine how bad the undercarriages must be.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:09 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:54 pm

This is why I'll never buy a used Northern car again. My allroad looked perfect on the inside and on the body, but underneath and in the suspension the thing was totally fucked. It needed all new front and rear subframes and the whole suspension replaced, hubs/knuckles and all. I liked that car too. :sad:
Yeah, it is what it is. Cars rust to shit in the north. At work our fleet of 2005-2007 ish F150s are all starting to show cancer on the body panels. I can't imagine how bad the undercarriages must be.
That would be fine with me if the depreciation actually matched the amount of extra damage that is done, but in reality the premium you pay for a rust-free car is tiny compared to how much longer it will last (or how much less it needs in repairs). The rusty Northern shit is priced too damn high.
Last edited by troyguitar on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:16 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:09 pm

That would be fine with me if the depreciation actually matched the amount of extra damage that is done, but in reality the premium you pay for a rust-free car is tiny compared to how much longer it will last (or how much less it needs it repairs). The rusty Northern shit is priced too damn high.
:like: buy from the airboaters then
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:09 pm Yeah, it is what it is. Cars rust to shit in the north. At work our fleet of 2005-2007 ish F150s are all starting to show cancer on the body panels. I can't imagine how bad the undercarriages must be.
That would be fine with me if the depreciation actually matched the amount of extra damage that is done, but in reality the premium you pay for a rust-free car is tiny compared to how much longer it will last (or how much less it needs it repairs). The rusty Northern shit is priced too damn high.
Welcome to New York and the like. Pay twice the price for everything to play third world country!
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

What's rust? :triggered:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Meh - all of my vehicles have been "northern". PB blaster, torches, and impact wrenches are your friend.

It's honestly not that difficult to limit rust by running through a car wash with an under body spray on a fairly regular basis.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

4zilch wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:09 pm Meh - all of my vehicles have been "northern". PB blaster, torches, and impact wrenches are your friend.

It's honestly not that difficult to limit rust by running through a car wash with an under body spray on a fairly regular basis.
This^^^ You dont even need an underbody once a week. Every couple of weeks. Ive had no issues over here at all from winter. All my cars have been daily. Keep up with the maint/cleaning....too e-z
troyguitar

Davestr wrote:
4zilch wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:09 pm Meh - all of my vehicles have been "northern". PB blaster, torches, and impact wrenches are your friend.

This^^^ You dont even need an underbody once a week. Every couple of weeks. Ive had no issues over here at all from winter. All my cars have been daily. Keep up with the maint/cleaning....too e-z
That only applies if you buy new cars.
troyguitar

I beat the fucking SHIT out of that bastard pinch bolt at the top of the knuckle on the allroad. It was chemically welded in there. A week of soaking in PB blaster, putting a torch on it until it was hot as fuck, hitting it with an air hammer, and finally swinging a 6 foot long 4x4 at it with a punch rigged up as a target... it never broke loose. I hit that thing so hard with the 4x4 that I was lucky not to break anything else or hurt myself. I kept swinging at it with everything I had for a few days off and on, adding more pb blaster, more torch, more air hammer.

Nothing worked.

But yeah it's easy!
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Suspension work is :disgust: unless you essentially have a full on workshop
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote:I'd thug a DCT M2.
Absolutely.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:Suspension work is :disgust: unless you essentially have a full on workshop
It's fine on southern cars. Everything on the spyder comes apart nicely.
Davestr

Davestr

Davestr

Yo - Fkn got dam perfect 944 Turbo - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986- ... -turbo-32/
Davestr

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Davestr wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:28 pm American Muscle - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011- ... c-cts-v-4/
:jimp:

I nearly bought one of these before buying my FiST.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:52 pm Suspension work is :disgust: unless you essentially have a full on workshop
Having a lift makes life easier for most jobs on a car, but most jobs are very doable with the proper tools, a floor jack (or two), and jack stands.
Davestr

4zilch wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:10 am
Davestr wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:28 pm American Muscle - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011- ... c-cts-v-4/
:jimp:

I nearly bought one of these before buying my FiST.
+1 that is a nice looking anti-SUV/CUV ride! Would be fun to test that.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Davestr wrote:Yo Canuckish DFDer's - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-bmw-m3-18/
Beauty car eh! That green is making a big comeback and it looks like the car is stored for the winter, looking at the shiny silver fasteners. I'd be tempted for $7600
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Davestr

Tarspin wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:24 am
Davestr wrote:Yo Canuckish DFDer's - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-bmw-m3-18/
Beauty car eh! That green is making a big comeback and it looks like the car is stored for the winter, looking at the shiny silver fasteners. I'd be tempted for $7600
+1 that is a nice nice example. Glad you like....go take it for a spin?? :)
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Davestr wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:24 am Beauty car eh! That green is making a big comeback and it looks like the car is stored for the winter, looking at the shiny silver fasteners. I'd be tempted for $7600
I'd LOVE to but getting to Alberta is no quick task from Mississauga. Someday hopefully.
Davestr

Tarspin wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:58 pm
Davestr wrote:
I'd LOVE to but getting to Alberta is no quick task from Mississauga. Someday hopefully.
:like:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin