Ask any racer, any real racer...

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Was supposed to rallyx today and it would have been perfect: highs in mid-80s & breezy. Buuuuut got rain dumped on Wed night - Fri morning and the site is flooded. Dat dirt doe.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

It was this guys 2nd trackday - don’t be like this guy.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

That'll buff right out
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Track day report:

Rode Putnam Park yesterday and took my cousin to his first track day w/ his Harley XR1200.

Overall I had a good day with tire wear issues reasonably under control. I think it has more to do with my riding style than anything - I’m likely too hard on the tires when they’re cold. I may switch to a different style tire next year, or perhaps employ warmers.

No near misses for me this round, however, it was a crash fest in nearly all groups (particularly in Novice) in all sessions before lunch. There was at least one ambulance ride to the hospital (see pic earlier ITT).

I was able correct my brake fade issue after rebuilding the calipers to address the pad drag, upgraded to track pads (Vesrah SRJL-XX), Motul 600 brake fluid, and upgraded to an aftermarket Brembo MC. The brakes were phenomenal all day. More than enough power, plenty of modulation. I hadn’t expect too much of a difference other than the setup being more fade resistant, but I was pretty :mindblown: I was able to brake at all of my original markers comfortably with 1 finger.

I haven’t check GoPro footage to review lap times or trap speeds yet, but I felt super comfortable and fast all day. :fuckyeah:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

4zilch wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:51 am
No near misses for me this round, however, it was a crash fest in nearly all groups (particularly in Novice) in all sessions before lunch. There was at least one ambulance ride to the hospital (see pic earlier ITT).
Hah this reminds me of my first MotoGP event at Cota. The amount of crashes at the start was pretty funny.
Here's from Moto2 I think.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

From the last track day - leaving behind blackies. (Note to self, tuck that toe in)

Acid666

4zilch wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:16 pm From the last track day - leaving behind blackies. (Note to self, tuck that toe in)

How do the groups go in that? I know we got track days and shit over here in Nola but I really don't know how they work. Is it like 20 minutes of free lap time to get some good times in with other riders of your skill level, and then a break or class time or what?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:05 pm
4zilch wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:16 pm From the last track day - leaving behind blackies. (Note to self, tuck that toe in)

How do the groups go in that? I know we got track days and shit over here in Nola but I really don't know how they work. Is it like 20 minutes of free lap time to get some good times in with other riders of your skill level, and then a break or class time or what?
Breakdowns are Novice, Intermediate, and Advance. Sometimes there's sub-groups within the groups particularly in Novice. Each group gets 20 min. Novice will generally have classroom time, though this varies depending on the org running the track day. Each group will also have multiple coaches on track to learn from. After a session it's encouraged to seek out a coach if you're working on something, having issues w/ a corner, etc.
Acid666

4zilch wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:44 pm
Acid666 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:05 pm

Breakdowns are Novice, Intermediate, and Advance. Sometimes there's sub-groups within the groups particularly in Novice. Each group gets 20 min. Novice will generally have classroom time, though this varies depending on the org running the track day. Each group will also have multiple coaches on track to learn from. After a session it's encouraged to seek out a coach if you're working on something, having issues w/ a corner, etc.
Ok so it's pretty much a free run and you just hope you can get a clean pass and not have to deal with too many people giving you a right of way and slowing you down a bit. When do they give you your lap times? I've done the Xtreme Experience thing here in Nola with the Ferrari 458, but I find that I have more fun with the whole nature of Autocross over the higher speed track stuff. If it were cheaper I'd probably do a track day once every 3-5 months or something.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:51 pm
4zilch wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:44 pm

Ok so it's pretty much a free run and you just hope you can get a clean pass and not have to deal with too many people giving you a right of way and slowing you down a bit. When do they give you your lap times? I've done the Xtreme Experience thing here in Nola with the Ferrari 458, but I find that I have more fun with the whole nature of Autocross over the higher speed track stuff. If it were cheaper I'd probably do a track day once every 3-5 months or something.
No lap times unless you're running a lap timer (or using a track app). Motorcycle track days are a bit different in that you can pass without a point-by. The rules for passing vary by group and org running the track day. Normally novice group is no passing, or passing on the straights only, Intermediate is passing on the straights or on the outside of corners, advance is pass wherever you damn well please.

I've never done the extreme experience thing, but it sounds petty controlled. You might look into trackdays where you use your own car. They operate similar to motorcycle trackdays with groups based on skill/experience.
Acid666

4zilch wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:02 pm
Acid666 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:51 pm

No lap times unless you're running a lap timer (or using a track app). Motorcycle track days are a bit different in that you can pass without a point-by. The rules for passing vary by group and org running the track day. Normally novice group is no passing, or passing on the straights only, Intermediate is passing on the straights or on the outside of corners, advance is pass wherever you damn well please.

I've never done the extreme experience thing, but it sounds petty controlled. You might look into trackdays where you use your own car. They operate similar to motorcycle trackdays with groups based on skill/experience.

From what I get, they've changed up the Xtreme Experience format. We went as a work party thing a couple of Christmases ago. 3 laps, but the first was a waste of time because everyone's spacing themselves out. When I told my coach my experience, he told me to drag out the start to let the other people get waaaaay ahead of us so I can get the most out of it. I spent a good bit of the time behind a couple of people and before you know it, you're 3 laps is up. Plus with 3 laps, you only get to hit that long straight twice because you do it on lap one and two, then on 3 you pit before that straight. So it wasn't that great. I wouldn't do it again, but I don't really regret it. Then again I didn't pay for it.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I would like to add Suzuka to the top 5 list of tracks I'd like to drive/ride IRL.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:56 am I would like to add Suzuka to the top 5 list of tracks I'd like to drive/ride IRL.
Yes. Bit of a pipe dream doe. Did get COTA off that hit list :doe:
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:04 am
4zilch wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:56 am I would like to add Suzuka to the top 5 list of tracks I'd like to drive/ride IRL.
Yes. Bit of a pipe dream doe. Did get COTA off that hit list :doe:
It's only time and money :troywax:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Top 5 track dreams:

1.) Nordschleife
2.) Spa-Francorchamps
3.) Suzuka
4.) Monaco
5.) Laguna Seca

6.) COTA
7.) Indy road course
8.) Donington
9.) Barber
10.) Philip Island
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Dat sound :doe: :megusta:

stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Release the Wookie!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

I should make it a goal to do nats in 2019
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:05 am

I should make it a goal to do nats in 2019
I always enjoy watching their Nationals videos every year. Go back and watch some of the previous years, they're all well done.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Good vid, I swear it made me go through the seven stages of grief about bailing at the last minute this year but whatevs. Still never been.

It also spun my brain up on pushing the S2K into STR, because that co-drive at Spring Nats was 5/7.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

stripethree wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:31 pm Good vid, I swear it made me go through the seven stages of grief about bailing at the last minute this year but whatevs. Still never been.

It also spun my brain up on pushing the S2K into STR, because that co-drive at Spring Nats was 5/7.
eh.... stay in street. str is too :waxer:

I'm with troy on that shit....when you start talking 10-15k STR builds you are taking real race car money. Formula ford, vee, F mod, etc....maybe even for less doll hairs.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

https://blog.caranddriver.com/the-tale- ... nt-part-1/

some of the brilliant writing:
I decided that this car—in fact, all K-cars—was so bad that Lee Iacocca must have been a Soviet agent, destroying America’s confidence in Detroit as part of a Cold War move to weaken the country.
god its so funny...the eyes water.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Track day brod' on the grom with the dubshow yesterday. Was fun. I had a good time, finally got to run the course CW in good conditions so I could get used to hanging off the right side of the bike.

Dub and I had a good time chasing each other around, and learned things. :stig: :fuckyeah:
brain go brrrrrr
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

:megusta: :jelly: :fuckyeah:
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

1) what autox class is a turbo, aftermarket ecu, intake, exhaust, coilover, wheel and tire. 1999 Miata
2) How does one convince a non enthusiastic/ partially hostile to racing wife that me doing a track day isnt a terrible idea?
3) Why is the SCCA southeast website so terrible?
Last edited by Barnes93cb on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.