Ask any racer, any real racer...

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

stripethree wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:36 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:50 pm Soooooo looks like SCCA :mahtroy: Class is a real thing now for autocross.

https://d39a3h63xew422.cloudfront.net/w ... 00x563.jpg

Buy FRZ, add stuff from tire rack, and you're in a new exclusive class. :notbad: way to level the field.
First new class in a long time that I hope fails, hard. I think it's a slippery slope to a strong desire for more 'spec' classes for any mildly popular car. Here's the press release and more details. Spec tire TBA.
If you have an FRZ you're not forced to run in that class though. I don't really see the problem. :iono:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:09 am
First new class in a long time that I hope fails, hard. I think it's a slippery slope to a strong desire for more 'spec' classes for any mildly popular car. Here's the press release and more details. Spec tire TBA.
If you have an FRZ you're not forced to run in that class though. I don't really see the problem. :iono:
It begins the slippery slope of adding more "spec" classes because everyone wants it for their specific car. Especially if that car is not "the one to have" for a given class.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:50 pm Soooooo looks like SCCA :mahtroy: Class is a real thing now for autocross.

https://d39a3h63xew422.cloudfront.net/w ... 00x563.jpg

Buy FRZ, add stuff from tire rack, and you're in a new exclusive class. :notbad: way to level the field.
Devils advocate here: many classes end up iterating down to some "spec" anyway. I'm looking at you ST aka spec 1989 Civic SI. Why not go directly there for popular cars to bring some cost control and stability to the classing?

I mean sure, spec racing ALWAYS causes costs to increase and ALWAYS was started to control rising costs. But this is autox. Most people are not going into the engine for an extra 1 hp. I think in this context it could work, especially on a regional level.
brain go brrrrrr
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:15 am Devils advocate here: many classes end up iterating down to some "spec" anyway. I'm looking at you ST aka spec 1989 Civic SI. Why not go directly there for popular cars to bring some cost control and stability to the classing?

I mean sure, spec racing ALWAYS causes costs to increase and ALWAYS was started to control rising costs. But this is autox. Most people are not going into the engine for an extra 1 hp. I think in this context it could work, especially on a regional level.
Counterpoint: they torched ST. Whether or not it was for that reason, who really knows. Other than the MX5, there have been few cars that end up in some sort of unspoken protected class for a while. They do create new classes in this vein though, but not like this new one. Try to convince me that all the CAM classes were created for old dudes that have been around forever and wanted some place to play with their mid/three-quarter life crisis cars.

Maybe it could work on a regional level, and maybe that's the real goal? In reality, they just don't give a lot of insight into their decisions. Are they seeing a crazy level of Twins at local events and want to bolster that? Are they showing up at TNIA? How did they decide on the spec package, given that it is a weird mix of Street and Street Touring things?
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

stripethree wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:43 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:15 am Devils advocate here: many classes end up iterating down to some "spec" anyway. I'm looking at you ST aka spec 1989 Civic SI. Why not go directly there for popular cars to bring some cost control and stability to the classing?

Counterpoint: they torched ST. Whether or not it was for that reason, who really knows. Other than the MX5, there have been few cars that end up in some sort of unspoken protected class for a while. They do create new classes in this vein though, but not like this new one. Try to convince me that all the CAM classes were created for old dudes that have been around forever and wanted some place to play with their mid/three-quarter life crisis cars.

Maybe it could work on a regional level, and maybe that's the real goal? In reality, they just don't give a lot of insight into their decisions. Are they seeing a crazy level of Twins at local events and want to bolster that? Are they showing up at TNIA? How did they decide on the spec package, given that it is a weird mix of Street and Street Touring things?

CAM is exactly that. All the guys I race in CAM are people like me who've done mods that put their car outside of their stock class (headers/intake etc), and they don't want to go back to stock just race, but they don't want to max out their car for a prepared class where they'd have to run slicks and serious suspension work to be competitive. It's a nice middle ground. For me, I love it because barely any of the local groups run a proper CAM-S, T & N split so they all get grouped into a generic CAM class and get gapped by moi.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Acid666 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:31 pm CAM is exactly that. All the guys I race in CAM are people like me who've done mods that put their car outside of their stock class (headers/intake etc), and they don't want to go back to stock just race, but they don't want to max out their car for a prepared class where they'd have to run slicks and serious suspension work to be competitive. It's a nice middle ground. For me, I love it because barely any of the local groups run a proper CAM-S, T & N split so they all get grouped into a generic CAM class and get gapped by moi.
IMHO, most of these people could probably use to learn to drive their car to its limits before making more changes and/or demanding a class that suits them.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

stripethree wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:43 am

Yea IDk. I think at its core it's a good idea, but they need to stop slicing the class pie into smaller and smaller bits.

IE, have a miata class, a corvette class, an s2k class, brz class, then maybe like 5 other street classes: super, other rwd, AWD, Sport FWD, :gay: FWD.
for street prepared have 4: super, RWD, AWD, FWD
For prepared have 2: super: everyone else
Dont rock the mod classes they are too highly specialized.
brain go brrrrrr
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:55 pm but they need to stop slicing the class pie into smaller and smaller bits.
Dis times eleventy billion.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Put together a short clip for the Instaface from the June rallyx where on my last run I stole FTD then thought the car was on fire. NSFW language warning.

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

stripethree wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:46 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:55 pm but they need to stop slicing the class pie into smaller and smaller bits.
Dis times eleventy billion.
This opinion seems to be popular. Similar discussions had on the Indy SCCA social page.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

On the subject of autocross, the ND MX5 took the top 3 spots in STR and 6 of top 10. Also won STRL, dethroning the reigning champ in an S2K (the very S2K I got to drive at Spring Nats).

Then again, Tom O won BSP in an S2K. And my god do BSP S2Ks look so hot.

Acid666

stripethree wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:36 pm On the subject of autocross, the ND MX5 took the top 3 spots in STR and 6 of top 10. Also won STRL, dethroning the reigning champ in an S2K (the very S2K I got to drive at Spring Nats).

Dude, I looked at the lineups in some of the classes and was amazed that there were so many 2016 Miatas. I had to ask my friend whos big into Miatas if there was some major jump with the new Miatas in suspension or something to make it such a good contender.
If you look in A-Stock, there's a metric fuck ton of Z06s in there.
Sam Strano won SSR too. Which is great for him. Nearly all of the Corvettes out there are likely running his setup.

The CAM-S class had 14 entries and the times ranged from 115.8-122.5. I'm interested in possibly going next year and seeing how well I do against some proper CAM cars.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Acid666 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:08 pm Dude, I looked at the lineups in some of the classes and was amazed that there were so many 2016 Miatas. I had to ask my friend whos big into Miatas if there was some major jump with the new Miatas in suspension or something to make it such a good contender.
Sam Strano won SSR too. Which is great for him. Nearly all of the Corvettes out there are likely running his setup.

The CAM-S class had 14 entries and the times ranged from 115.8-122.5. I'm interested in possibly going next year and seeing how well I do against some proper CAM cars.
The ND is legit, except when it's blowing up transmissions, specifically 2nd gear. I heard two go up in person at National events this year, it's a terrible sound because you know what it is. Almost as bad as hearing a BSP S2000 eat its transmission at the starting line of a ProSolo. I visibly cringed; actually might have been the car pictured above.

On the flip side, listening to two SS 911 GT3s launch at a Pro side by side is :jizz: :jizz: :jizz: :jizz: :jimp:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Acid666 wrote:
stripethree wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:36 pm On the subject of autocross, the ND MX5 took the top 3 spots in STR and 6 of top 10. Also won STRL, dethroning the reigning champ in an S2K (the very S2K I got to drive at Spring Nats).

Dude, I looked at the lineups in some of the classes and was amazed that there were so many 2016 Miatas. I had to ask my friend whos big into Miatas if there was some major jump with the new Miatas in suspension or something to make it such a good contender.

ND handles like an NB (if not better) and makes WAY more power under the curve. The "155 hp" peak rating is deceptive, they are not slow cars.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Are there pro solo events that mortals can participate in? I don't want to do all the national BS, and I know I'd probably come in dead last, but pro solo seems like a shitload of fun...especially with my car.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:23 pm Are there pro solo events that mortals can participate in? I don't want to do all the national BS, and I know I'd probably come in dead last, but pro solo seems like a shitload of fun...especially with my car.
They should have at least regional, if not local, events you can attend.
Apex

Buddy of mine went to Nationals in a BS M2. His co-driver managed to grab a trophy. :notbad:

Also saw many of the locals at the top of their classes.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:29 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:23 pm Are there pro solo events that mortals can participate in? I don't want to do all the national BS, and I know I'd probably come in dead last, but pro solo seems like a shitload of fun...especially with my car.
You don't need to be balls deep in the SCCA to attend? I just want to have fun, which seems to go against the SCCA rules.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SixSpeeder
Drives: Fiat

I host my own solo events in secluded parking lots at night
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:31 pm

You don't need to be balls deep in the SCCA to attend? I just want to have fun, which seems to go against the SCCA rules.
From what I read online, it's a blast no matter what level you're at. I'm interested in going and being competitive, but wouldn't expect to be in the top 5 or 10 or anything.
What's the difference between the Pro Solo stuff? I swear I need to get someone to explain all the shit to me one day.
Apex

Nope, no need to be :balls: deep. Find the nearest one and go have fun. DGAF about classing or anything.

Fun SHOULD be the basis for you going.
Apex

Acid666 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:35 pm
From what I read online, it's a blast no matter what level you're at. I'm interested in going and being competitive, but wouldn't expect to be in the top 5 or 10 or anything.
What's the difference between the Pro Solo stuff? I swear I need to get someone to explain all the shit to me one day.
Drag race tree start with 2 cars and 2 courses (mirrored IIRC).
Apex

Looking at STX prep for the pumpkin. :math:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:37 pm
Acid666 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:35 pm

Drag race tree start with 2 cars and 2 courses (mirrored IIRC).
:dat:

Sounds like so much damned fun.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:37 pm
Nope, no need to be :balls: deep. Find the nearest one and go have fun. DGAF about classing or anything.

Fun SHOULD be the basis for you going.
Interesting. Other than tracknightinamerica, I've never associated "fun" with the SCCA. The few times I went to events in CA, people were WAY too caught up in classing and general :bs: to have fun.

The last time I went, I had my MK5 GTI and I just picked some random class because I didn't care. I just wanted to run and have fun. WELL, apparently the class I was in didn't allow the rear sway bar I had. I beat some dude, and he came over and looked under my car and went full :triggered: that I had the bar. They told me I couldn't run the rest of the day because I was in the wrong class. I was "permitted to spectate" doe.

FUCK YOU

:nope:

I swore off the SCCA ever since.