Half a Car: The Motorbike Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:34 pm
4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:28 pm
:dat:

Also high powered twin is super hard on tires. I've done 5 - days so far and already on a second set. Will probably do another day or two before the end of the year.
That's a lot of tarz. I'd look around for a :scrooge: 600 or something to track.
:dat: or a well sorted sv650.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:28 pm

Also high powered twin is super hard on tires. I've done 5 - days so far and already on a second set. Will probably do another day or two before the end of the year.
That's a lot of tarz. I'd look around for a :scrooge: 600 or something to track.
I'd look around for a nearly free :scrooge: 250 class to track like our buddy scored. The lucky bastard.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:31 pm

:dat: or a well sorted sv650.
:yesth:
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:35 pm

I'd look around for a nearly free :scrooge: 250 class to track like our buddy scored. The lucky bastard.
:impressive:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:36 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:35 pm

Meh, I might consider an RC390, but I'd probably rather build a NFG >500cc motard which would give me giggles on the street and track.

Additonally I primarily run Putnam and Grattan, small bore bike isn't much fun at Putnam because there's too much space between corners. A ninjette would be fun at Grattan, but not so much for anything else. A big Sumo is fun at Grattan, and the street, AND TOTD.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:46 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:36 pm

Meh, I might consider an RC390, but I'd probably rather build a NFG >500cc motard which would give me giggles on the street and track.

Additonally I primarily run Putnam and Grattan, small bore bike isn't much fun at Putnam because there's too much space between corners. A ninjette would be fun at Grattan, but not so much for anything else. A big Sumo is fun at Grattan, and the street, AND TOTD.
:word:
sumo Image
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Dbl post
Last edited by 4zilch on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:46 pm Meh, I might consider an RC390, but I'd probably rather build a NFG >500cc motard which would give me giggles on the street and track.

:word:
sumo Image

Rode a Honda XR650R at Grattan and had a blast harassing sport bikes through the esses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Apex

Soooo, what's a n00b bike track day like? Seems it would be a lot different from cars, since I can't imagine instructors are riding with you...
Apex

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:42 pm Soooo, what's a n00b bike track day like? Seems it would be a lot different from cars, since I can't imagine instructors are riding with you...
Generally you spend some time in the class room talking about track etiquette, rules, and the track itself. They'll split you up into groups based on experience and different instructors will lead those groups at a pace based on the pace of the riders. There is no passing in these groups. The pace will quicken each session, and sometimes they'll allow riders to pass the last couple of sessions and ride at their own pace.
Apex

4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:56 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:42 pm Soooo, what's a n00b bike track day like? Seems it would be a lot different from cars, since I can't imagine instructors are riding with you...
Generally you spend some time in the class room talking about track etiquette, rules, and the track itself. They'll split you up into groups based on experience and different instructors will lead those groups at a pace based on the pace of the riders. There is no passing in these groups. The pace will quicken each session, and sometimes they'll allow riders to pass the last couple of sessions and ride at their own pace.
:notbad: Seems reasonable to start.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

This:

Apex

4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:59 pm
This:

Dat seems to be more your speed, not for a n00b.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

https://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/young ... 1797052213

Boomers arent enough anymore to keep Harley happy. There was an interesting article on Bloomberg about this and what Harley and others are doing to attract a new generation of riders. Basically smaller more nimble and AFFORDABLE bikes.....what an idea....
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Davestr wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:21 pm https://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/young ... 1797052213

Boomers arent enough anymore to keep Harley happy. There was an interesting article on Bloomberg about this and what Harley and others are doing to attract a new generation of riders. Basically smaller more nimble and AFFORDABLE bikes.....what an idea....
It would be interesting to see how the motorcycle market in general is doing. Small displacement bikes have certainly been popular as of late but I often wonder about the age and experience of those buying them.

I just don't see many people getting into motorcycling in general.
Apex

4zilch wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:37 pm
Davestr wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:21 pm https://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/young ... 1797052213

It would be interesting to see how the motorcycle market in general is doing. Small displacement bikes have certainly been popular as of late but I often wonder about the age and experience of those buying them.

Because it is way harder to text/snap-fap/whatever on a motorcycle? :millennial: all want to be distracted and pay as little attention as necessary when they are operating a vehicle.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote:
4zilch wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:37 pm It would be interesting to see how the motorcycle market in general is doing. Small displacement bikes have certainly been popular as of late but I often wonder about the age and experience of those buying them.

Because it is way harder to text/snap-fap/whatever on a motorcycle? :millennial: all want to be distracted and pay as little attention as necessary when they are operating a vehicle.
:dat: I wish more would take the plunge and learn to motorbike :sad:

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

A few pics from Saturday track day.ImageImageImage

troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

The kid who bought my ninja was buying his first bike in his early 20s - after taking MSF course and buying full gear. There are a few non :derp: kids out there. Last I heard he was riding it almost every day and had even changed the front brake pads himself.
Apex

4zilch wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:47 pm A few pics from Saturday track day.ImageImageImage

:fuckyeah:

Is there a motorbike version of :stig: ?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:47 pm A few pics from Saturday track day.ImageImageImage

:tits:
looks like work was done
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Apex wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:56 pm

brain go brrrrrr
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:02 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:56 pm

I feel like MotoGP riders don't need a seat because they are barely on the bike. :mindblown:
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:50 pm The kid who bought my ninja was buying his first bike in his early 20s - after taking MSF course and buying full gear. There are a few non :derp: kids out there. Last I heard he was riding it almost every day and had even changed the front brake pads himself.
:like: