Half a Car: The Motorbike Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

coogles wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:58 pm Why did I come in here? Fuck.

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/6213054162.html
"Small scratch on right side of tank" = "I tipped it over, but too afraid to admit it"

The price doesn't seem terrible if you can live with the tank :doe:

:doit:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:51 pm Exhaust ordered for the Grom. Intake and ECU next I guess. And a head temp gauge.

Zilch, you have any input on ECU's for moterbikes?
Talking about a piggy-back or a standalone?

Bizzaz and Dynojet both work in the same way - modify injector signal to increase fuel. On the Grom they only work at >80% throttle iirc.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:47 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:51 pm Exhaust ordered for the Grom. Intake and ECU next I guess. And a head temp gauge.

Zilch, you have any input on ECU's for moterbikes?

Bizzaz and Dynojet both work in the same way - modify injector signal to increase fuel. On the Grom they only work at >80% throttle iirc.
piggy-backs. Further reaserch suggested that you are correct for the most part. If you ever go to the power commander and add the WB, it can mod fuel everywhere. It also autotunes on the fly, the bazz will not.

I may have scored a PCV on facebook clasified for 210! :fuckyeah:
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:07 am
4zilch wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:47 am

piggy-backs. Further reaserch suggested that you are correct for the most part. If you ever go to the power commander and add the WB, it can mod fuel everywhere. It also autotunes on the fly, the bazz will not.

:notbad:

I've often been on the fence on autotune stuff. It's always reactive and the user must cover the entire fueling range to fill in the gaps in the map. That's probably not hard to do on a Grom, but on a :plaid: bike it's tough to do.

IMO, a properly dunk tuned static map will be better than autotune, assuming you're not running up Pikes Peak when air density becomes a real issue.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:24 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:07 am

I've often been on the fence on autotune stuff. It's always reactive and the user must cover the entire fueling range to fill in the gaps in the map. That's probably not hard to do on a Grom, but on a :plaid: bike it's tough to do.

IMO, a properly dunk tuned static map will be better than autotune, assuming you're not running up Pikes Peak when air density becomes a real issue.
agree. pretty sure the grom ecu is Alpha-N anyway.

Right now I'm not sure I'll ever do a bbk or something like that where its needed, I'm more inclined to stay on stock bore, high compression, cam, and maybe headwork down the line.

That said... its nice to know that i can if I want. Also the DJ quickshift kit is waaaayyyyyy less $$ than the bazzaz if i ever want that.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:45 am
4zilch wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:24 am

Right now I'm not sure I'll ever do a bbk or something like that where its needed, I'm more inclined to stay on stock bore, high compression, cam, and maybe headwork down the line.

That said... its nice to know that i can if I want. Also the DJ quickshift kit is waaaayyyyyy less $$ than the bazzaz if i ever want that.
QS on a Grom :fullretard:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:57 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:45 am

with only 10 HP every tenth counts?

also, you talking to the dude that has 1500 into a minibike. :fullretard:
I have to at least to to equal levels of :fullretard: on the grom.
:themoreyouknow:
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:08 am
4zilch wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:57 am

with only 10 HP every tenth counts?

also, you talking to the dude that has 1500 into a minibike. :fullretard:
I have to at least to to equal levels of :fullretard: on the grom.
:themoreyouknow:
:lolgasm:

:popcorn:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Intake and temp sensor also ordered
:fullretard:
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:34 pm Intake and temp sensor also ordered

4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Track day on the KTM yesterday. Fought rear tire wear issues again :rage: Misinterpreted tearing pattern in the tread as cold tear when it was actually hot tear (the Michelin guy got this wrong too). The tire is a dual compound and doesn't show the tear on the harder compound, which makes it look like cold tear. Found out my pressure gauge was inaccurate and reading 3psi high which meant I was running substantially lower pressure than I should have been. :disappoint: that I shortened the life of the tire, but glad I figured it out.

Also, new Hero 5 Black performed flawlessly. Vids coming soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:36 am Track day on the KTM yesterday. Fought rear tire wear issues again :rage: Misinterpreted tearing pattern in the tread as cold tear when it was actually hot tear (the Michelin guy got this wrong too). The tire is a dual compound and doesn't show the tear on the harder compound, which makes it look like cold tear. Found out my pressure gauge was inaccurate and reading 3psi high which meant I was running substantially lower pressure than I should have been. :disappoint: that I shortened the life of the tire, but glad I figured it out.

:angry: by the time you figure out this tire michelin will have another new hotness offering out
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:06 am
4zilch wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:36 am Track day on the KTM yesterday. Fought rear tire wear issues again :rage: Misinterpreted tearing pattern in the tread as cold tear when it was actually hot tear (the Michelin guy got this wrong too). The tire is a dual compound and doesn't show the tear on the harder compound, which makes it look like cold tear. Found out my pressure gauge was inaccurate and reading 3psi high which meant I was running substantially lower pressure than I should have been. :disappoint: that I shortened the life of the tire, but glad I figured it out.

:angry: by the time you figure out this tire michelin will have another new hotness offering out
I think I've got it sorted. It started to clean up on the last session after adjusting pressures.

I need a full day running at the correct pressures (and a good tire pressure gauge) to confirm my findings.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

all grom parts have hit the usps :megusta:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

i need better mirrors.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:45 am i need better mirrors.
I need better front suspension for the KTM
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:40 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:45 am i need better mirrors.
:waxer:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:55 am
4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:40 am

:dat: :troywax:
Apex

4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:10 am
Apex wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:55 am

How many dollhairs are you looking at?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:20 am
4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:10 am

About a $1k for cartridges. :notsure: if I'll keep the bike long enough to reap the benefits :doe:
Apex

4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:55 am
Apex wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:20 am

About a $1k for cartridges. :notsure: if I'll keep the bike long enough to reap the benefits :doe:
Dat is a bit :waxer:

Thinking of replacing the duke with something else?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:00 am
4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:55 am

I tend to get the :plac: itch every 2-3 years on motorcycles.

:notsure: what I'd replace it with though. I might keep it and get a :scrooge: motard or trackbike
Apex

4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:02 am
Apex wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:00 am

:notsure: what I'd replace it with though. I might keep it and get a :scrooge: motard or trackbike
You seem to be trackdaying with some frequency... A dedicated track bike might not be a terrible idea. Last thing you'd want to do is lay the KTM down.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:08 am
4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:02 am

You seem to be trackdaying with some frequency... A dedicated track bike might not be a terrible idea. Last thing you'd want to do is lay the KTM down.
:dat:

Also high powered twin is super hard on tires. I've done 5 - days so far and already on a second set. Will probably do another day or two before the end of the year.
Apex

4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:28 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:08 am

:dat:

Also high powered twin is super hard on tires. I've done 5 - days so far and already on a second set. Will probably do another day or two before the end of the year.
That's a lot of tarz. I'd look around for a :scrooge: 600 or something to track.