Half a Car: The Motorbike Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:12 am More Harley news. Closing the Kansas City plant.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/h ... ity-plant/
dang.
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:16 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:12 am More Harley news. Closing the Kansas City plant.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/h ... ity-plant/
dang.
Yep, but I don't think it was any surprise to anyone following along. In my opinion they have spread themselves way too thin with regards to opinion plants around the world for those markets.

The industry is small and I think they could do better by still only building here in the US and shipping the bikes. Clearly the people in India and South America were buying the bikes when they were imported, so why not keep doing that and save the operating costs? I can almost see justifying India, but the reality is most of the bike people want there are small... the Harley is more of an attention piece and for status.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:37 pm
4zilch wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:26 pm

Fair points. I tend to avoid stopping the sandwich zone between the car in front and rear of me. Obviously not full proof, but keeps me from getting smashed and gives me an escape root if I see someone barreling towards the stopped traffic from behind.
Yes, this is the only thing I like about California laws these days..... Lane splitting/filtering is legal here. Creep through the stopped cars and find a safe spot to stop in traffic at lights.
Not only that but watch any of the videos of riders in the other 49 states. Car drivers purposely block motorcyclists from doing this. Psychos. You aren't a cop. In the 11 years I've been riding I've never had anyone do that to me. The only time I'm ever trailer-ed is if I'm stuck behind a greyhound bus in the fastlane or one of these fucking stupid trucks.
Image They're just too wide to go around. You have to wait These drivers typically drive 60mph in the fast lane or 80mph doing the accordion effect... speeding up and slowing down but still never letting you have a gap because there's a f250 next to you with their big mirrors sticking out.
I haven't ridden on the freeway in a while since i've gotten rid of the r6. Been looking at bikes again. Can't decide what I want. I wouldn't mind a 2012 r6 but an R1 would eat up the miles better. I commute 33 miles 3-4 days a week. I don't want to subject the xr600r to that because I don't have a battery on it. Bike dies the lights die.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Dat sound :doe: :zing:

As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

4zilch wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:11 pm Dat sound :doe: :zing:

:ohdang: :like:
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Any of you guise riding lately?
I had some fun on my pig today. Rode 30 miles without a hitch.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

NeonJonny wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:34 pm Any of you guise riding lately?
I rode the Ducati for about half an hour today to the outskirts of town to the hills. Did a quick loop around and hit 120 on the back roads. Naked bike + 120 = hold on.... Hard.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

It was 29 degrees as the high here today.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:10 pm It was 29 degrees as the high here today.

Damn. 71 here today and for the next week.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:10 pm It was 29 degrees as the high here today.
Goodness.... 86 here today. Going to be 87 tomorrow. Winter is usually over by mid February round these parts.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Only tourers I like visually are the Street Glide and the Yamaha Star Venture. But I cant justify the cost of the Yamaha.

So SG it is. I know theyre a brand whore. I know theyre not the most powerful. But I love the look of that bike. And I can purchase one for 13k thats only a few years old.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Barnes93cb wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:43 am Only tourers I like visually are the Street Glide and the Yamaha Star Venture. But I cant justify the cost of the Yamaha.

So SG it is. I know theyre a brand whore. I know theyre not the most powerful. But I love the look of that bike. And I can purchase one for 13k thats only a few years old.
I’ve ridden a couple, they’re good bikes for what they are, just be prepared to look like every other dude on a Harley. It seems 2 out 3 Harley’s I see are SG’s
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

What :mahtroy: said.

It got up to nearly 60 a week or so ago, but I didn’t have enough time to dip out of work and swap the car for the bike.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:04 pm
I rode the Ducati for about half an hour today to the outskirts of town to the hills. Did a quick loop around and hit 120 on the back roads. Naked bike + 120 = hold on.... Hard.
Nekid bike 4lyfe.
Barnes93cb

4zilch wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:52 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:43 am Only tourers I like visually are the Street Glide and the Yamaha Star Venture. But I cant justify the cost of the Yamaha.

I’ve ridden a couple, they’re good bikes for what they are, just be prepared to look like every other dude on a Harley. It seems 2 out 3 Harley’s I see are SG’s
Yes thats fine. The value added from the storage and more comfortable seating position outweigh the negatives.

Ive also test rode a few. They ride pretty well for such a yuge bike.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Barnes93cb wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:15 am
4zilch wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:52 am

Yes thats fine. The value added from the storage and more comfortable seating position outweigh the negatives.

:like:

First time I rode one I about went over the handle bars when I hit the rev limiter in 1st. It had been a long time since I had ridden anything with 5500 rpm rev limit. Once you learn to shift it like a diesel, it’s a nice ride.
Barnes93cb

4zilch wrote:
Barnes93cb wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:15 am Yes thats fine. The value added from the storage and more comfortable seating position outweigh the negatives.

First time I rode one I about went over the handle bars when I hit the rev limiter in 1st. It had been a long time since I had ridden anything with 5500 rpm rev limit. Once you learn to shift it like a diesel, it’s a nice ride.
I currently ride a Yamaha bolt. So not super revvy either. I’ll tune the rev limiter higher too. It seems like just about everyone increases it a bit. Still nothing like a sports bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Barnes93cb wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:42 am
4zilch wrote:

I currently ride a Yamaha bolt. So not super revvy either. I’ll tune the rev limiter higher too. It seems like just about everyone increases it a bit. Still nothing like a sports bike.

I didn't know Yamaha made a bike like that. Looks chill. Does it eat up the miles good?
Barnes93cb

NeonJonny wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:49 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:42 am

I didn't know Yamaha made a bike like that. Looks chill. Does it eat up the miles good?
It does very well. Super smooth idle and throttle engagement. Clutch is a bit lighter than I would like.
Mileage is about 40ish mpg and tires/ brakes are fine after 5500 miles. I will say that the R-spec is a big step up over the stock dampers.

Main issue with the bike is the need for some tire balancing and tapered wheel bearings from the factory. I dont suggest removing your hands from the bars. But if you leave them off longer than 3 seconds youre going to have a bad day.

Also only a 950cc motor. Fine for around town. But my fatass (5 10 and 230lbs) makes the bike a bit slower than I would like. And on the highway its revving to hell and back at 80mph. Hence the big reason I am upgrading to the old man bike.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

I watched Macao Gladiators and Somewhere Else Tomorrow yesterday. Totally different motorbike flicks but I enjoyed watching.

Macao Gladiators reinforces the fact that motorbike racers are bat-shit crazy.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:01 am I watched Macao Gladiators and Somewhere Else Tomorrow yesterday. Totally different motorbike flicks but I enjoyed watching.

Macao Gladiators reinforces the fact that motorbike racers are bat-shit crazy.
:dat:

Real roads racers are next level.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

News flash, you need to periodically change your brake fluid.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/recall ... ng-recall/
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:59 pm News flash, you need to periodically change your brake fluid.

wow
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:07 pm
4zilch wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:59 pm News flash, you need to periodically change your brake fluid.

wow
Harley owners :derp:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:10 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:07 pm

wow
Harley owners :derp:
Why would you need to change it, you never took any out and it's not like a motor.

:trollface: