Half a Car: The Motorbike Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

NeonJonny wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:23 pm I wouldn't pay more than 3000 for a xr650 or 2000 for a xr600R. That's the going rate. I looked at them for almost a year. I'm happy with my choice.
Currently, it’s rare to see 650r for less than 3k with a street title, and Indiana won’t let us change the vehicle type on a title if it already says “off-road”. So I’m kinda stuck there.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:34 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:50 pm

knoxville is alot closer and there is no shipping black hole and has wheels. even if you go yourself thats a day trip for you.
True. Considering making offer with no motard setup and sourcing my own ramz. Wish TN guy hadn’t mismatched the plastics. I’d prefer red and white.
Leaning towards Knoxville bike currently. Negotiated $3800 delivered. Offered $3500 if I pick up and haven’t heard back yet.

Also waiting for pics of titles on both bikes to ensure I don’t get screwed at the BMV if/when I buy.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

4zilch wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:36 am
NeonJonny wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:23 pm I wouldn't pay more than 3000 for a xr650 or 2000 for a xr600R. That's the going rate. I looked at them for almost a year. I'm happy with my choice.
Currently, it’s rare to see 650r for less than 3k with a street title, and Indiana won’t let us change the vehicle type on a title if it already says “off-road”. So I’m kinda stuck there.
Ah you're right. Its been a while since I've looked. 3300-4k here plated.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

NeonJonny wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:25 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:36 am

Ah you're right. Its been a while since I've looked. 3300-4k here plated.
California bikes seem to be at the top of market in terms of price, but also likely the largest population/demand.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:50 pm

knoxville is alot closer and there is no shipping black hole and has wheels. even if you go yourself thats a day trip for you.
True. Considering making offer with no motard setup and sourcing my own ramz. Wish TN guy hadn’t mismatched the plastics. I’d prefer red and white.
are plastics not cheap?
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:59 am

are plastics not cheap?
Not awful, but into 2-300 range
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

4zilch wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:40 am

Leaning towards Knoxville bike currently. Negotiated $3800 delivered. Offered $3500 if I pick up and haven’t heard back yet.

Also waiting for pics of titles on both bikes to ensure I don’t get screwed at the BMV if/when I buy.
:fuckyeah:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Melon wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:26 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:40 am

Title from Denver bike is an MC. :popcorn:
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

4zilch wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:16 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:59 am

are plastics not cheap?
Not awful, but into 2-300 range
Ain't too bad! I put a OEM 450 front fender on my xr and I think I paid 60 shipped or something.
I'm going to wait on the R1 until I pass probation. I might ditch the idea once I get thrown on nightshift. I'll never have to deal with traffic ever. Right now it takes me an hour and a half to drive home. I'm on the fence of riding the xr there. I've done it s few times but I'm paranoid of the bike taking a shit while I'm in the fast lane.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Found the old receipt of who I sold my R6 to and looked him up on facebook. Nope. Matthew Sosa doesn't exist.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

4zilch wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:22 am

Is this going to be a dualsport track bike or something? You have less cement than we do. Have fun in that stuff!
I wouldn't worry about a street wheels. You can still get down with a knobby on the street. I even like it. I'm less scared of oversteer on the street on the dirt bike than I am in the :poorvette:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

NeonJonny wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:02 pm

Is this going to be a dualsport track bike or something? You have less cement than we do. Have fun in that stuff!
I wouldn't worry about a street wheels. You can still get down with a knobby on the street. I even like it. I'm less scared of oversteer on the street on the dirt bike than I am in the :poorvette:
Supermoto street hoon/track bike. I have less use for knobbies than proper sumo ramz/tires. We have a lot of dirt, but actually very little public land where motor equipped vehicles are legally allowed. The rest of the land is for beans and corn.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Drug mule bike.

:hue:
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

4zilch wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:03 am
NeonJonny wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:02 pm

Supermoto street hoon/track bike. I have less use for knobbies than proper sumo ramz/tires. We have a lot of dirt, but actually very little public land where motor equipped vehicles are legally allowed. The rest of the land is for beans and corn.
That's basically what a lot of California has become. Our "riding season" is backwards. You can't really ride aug-october. Even if the temperature is under 95* numerous trails get shut down in fire season. And if there's more than 3 clouds in the sky it is dangerous to the trails and people get stuck. Forest rangers get sick of pulling the stupid 4x4 guys out so the gates are locked. We have less riding than everyone thinks. There are supposed to be some great trails heading towards big bear. I should explore.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

NeonJonny wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:23 pm
4zilch wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:03 am

That's basically what a lot of California has become. Our "riding season" is backwards. You can't really ride aug-october. Even if the temperature is under 95* numerous trails get shut down in fire season. And if there's more than 3 clouds in the sky it is dangerous to the trails and people get stuck. Forest rangers get sick of pulling the stupid 4x4 guys out so the gates are locked. We have less riding than everyone thinks. There are supposed to be some great trails heading towards big bear. I should explore.
Sadly, same here with BLM and shooting. April - October = Closed. Rest of the year they randomly lock the gates to the areas that are designated as available for target shooting simply to discourage people from coming back. Now we just drive an extra 1/2 hour in the opposite direction and go shooting in the national forest. Not quite as fun and a lot more possibility to shoot someone that is randomly walking in the woods with their headphones blasting, but it's for the children and saving our wide open bare desert lands I guess. :iono:
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:27 pm
NeonJonny wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:23 pm

Sadly, same here with BLM and shooting. April - October = Closed. Rest of the year they randomly lock the gates to the areas that are designated as available for target shooting simply to discourage people from coming back. Now we just drive an extra 1/2 hour in the opposite direction and go shooting in the national forest. Not quite as fun and a lot more possibility to shoot someone that is randomly walking in the woods with their headphones blasting, but it's for the children and saving our wide open bare desert lands I guess. :iono:
:evil: morans.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Nice article outlining S. Indiana highlights. Most of the roads mentioned in the article are very familiar to me. Can vouch for Indiana 62 mentioned towards the end. It’s a fantastic road 5/7

http://womanrider.com/2017/10/back-home ... ome-state/
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Beautiful pictures!!!
http://www.motorcyclecity.biz/used_sport_bikes I'm thinking about going and looking at the red R1. New plastics and low miles... Most likely been dropped or put back together after being crashed, but I'm a pessimistic asshole. :/

Usually the r1s don't survive wrecks. People tend to just total them.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

NeonJonny wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:26 pm Beautiful pictures!!!
http://www.motorcyclecity.biz/used_sport_bikes I'm thinking about going and looking at the red R1. New plastics and low miles... Most likely been dropped or put back together after being crashed, but I'm a pessimistic asshole. :/

Usually the r1s don't survive wrecks. People tend to just total them.
They’re only totaled if you turn them into insurance for fixable things. I’ve never understood the logic.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Good point. My concern is it is too easy to hide if you dropped a bike. But I'd like to think (uh huh) if you crashed hard enough to compromise the subframe I think you'd be able to see it. But what do I know... Usually if you don't crash the first year you have a bike you never will. Ive washed out the front end on the dirt bike on sand on top of cement bullshit we call dirt in CA but never dropped the street bike.

Beware the mileage weenies. However as long as you change the oil sometimes and check the valves when you're supposed to you can easily get 150,000 miles out of them. I'm not afraid to buy a bike with 30k miles vs 20k miles.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

New KTM, who dis?

Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Melon wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:23 am New KTM, who dis?

:jizz:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Melon wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:23 am New KTM, who dis?

Well hello fellow Austrian motorbike owner.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Heloo!

So, I bough this thing with doing little to no research, great way to buy a Euro bike with 25k miles on the clock.
Price was right doe, so I went for it.

Now, the seller went over the items on the bike, maintenance, mods, all seem to check out for the positive.
It even has two USB ports, a 12v outlet, and a phone mount. :notbad:

It runs great, tires and brakes are in good shape, don't really see much I need to do to it, other than ride the fuck out of it.