The Second Thoughts/Buyers Remorse Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

We all have a yuuge sense of pride as we set our mirrors, seats and favorite track for the very first time as we pull out of the dealership driveway with our newly minted or new to us car of choice.

Rediculous hours of research go into choosing the utmost perfect car to fit our needs and desires, weeks, even months of daydreaming about what it'll be like to take on that morning commute or weekend adventure in said car. Everything from transmissions to paint colors have been hyperanalyzed, so we're good right?

Wrong! Somehow, after all the reviews, analysis, and daydreaming we wake up one morning and think that, just maybe, life would be better in a different car and the whole thing was a mistake :plac:

If you share in this remorse and feel the need to share, be ridiculed by your fellow DFDers, or simply wonder what if, then please feel :whalecum: to step up to the plate and add amusement to someone else's day.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I'll go first. I was at the Dodge dealership for a few long minutes as I stared at one of these and thought, man that would've made a great family car. If I didn't blow :troywax: on a C6 and Arr I could have this.

The challenger looks :tits: but this (similar to posted) 392 superbee Charger is 5/7 and offers 4 doors. Dang. Image

max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I think too many on here have too much pride to admit to being wrong or to point out any flaws of their cars without getting :triggered:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I love the big dodges, chryslers. They are just such great cruisers. And look great inside and out
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:I think too many on here have too much pride to admit to being wrong or to point out any flaws of their cars without getting :triggered:
All of my purchases have been wrong except for the Ninja. Even the MR2 might turn out to be wrong if we end up having to move again too soon. :derp:

Should've bought a used 06-07 Accord in 2011 and kept driving it through today.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote:I love the big dodges, chryslers. They are just such great cruisers. And look great inside and out
:dat: , 90% of my driving consists of cruising. The GoRf isn't exactly designed with that type of driving in mind. It's a tightly geared quick revving and nimble car.

A Charger Scat Pack/SRT8 offers similar highway fuel economy, is a bigger and more comfortable car and makes fantastic V8 noises and probably depreciates less as the miles start to rack up.... and it's better for business. :derp:
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

No real second thoughts or regrets. Some didnt workout as well but all were learning experiences. Some bought too fast, some sold too quick. Its cars. A major affliction Im happy to have.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

As much fun as this car has been, financially, it's been a colossal blunder.

4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:08 am 2012 Ford Focus.

At the time, my younger brother had just passed away in a car accident while being too young and dumb in his Scion, and as a fellow Scion owner, I thought to myself, "man, maybe I should buy a safer car."
I never knew this about you, dude, I'm so sorry.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Melon wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:11 am As much fun as this car has been, financially, it's been a colossal blunder.

Dat bloo doe.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

I think trading my MK6 for the ATS was my worst move yet. Not only did I get cleaned on trade, I had to spend way too much effort trying to off the ATS on swapalease. Glad I finally found someone, but it took a while and way too much effort.

Was a solid car, doe. Just not the right move at that time in hindsight.

Also with I hadn't traded the JK for the Saab, but that was more a :tits: move and there's only so much that can be done with that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

No ragrats on purchases. I wish I still had a wrx. Not my wrx, but another one that wasn't a lemon. And was blurple.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I think my STI is the wrong car for my situation but I don't regret purchasing it. I enjoy it, just wonder if I would have enjoyed a :derp: mobile more. I think I'm just caring less about cars in general. I always expected the STI to be just a 1-2 year adventure.

I regretted buying the MK6 GTI almost immediately. My car prior to that was a Ford Focus sedan that had all sorts of issues, and had just blown a strut and wheel bearing. I was :rage: at it at that point, so I gave up on it and got the GTI. Immediately regretted the 2 door, soon after regretted the black paint, soon after that regretted getting a VW. In hindsight I should have bought a Mazdaspeed 3 or a WRX. But, the current car falling apart, plus pressure from a pushy S.O. at the time led me to :troywax: on the GTI which I didn't want.
I only have like 3 pictures of that car total. 2 from the day I brought it home, and 1 while it was in a car wash. My STI, I have like 15 already, lol.

I don't really regret getting the Focus. It had a lot of issues but was a good first car. Easy to work on, decent to drive, bought it cheap for like $6 grand with 40k on it. It was the most fun that I could afford with good gas mileage and ability to haul junk at the time. Had a lot of fun in that car. Got in 2-3 accidents or something with it. Whatever. It was beat to shit by the time I got rid of it but I did enjoy it.

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

see my bmw for sale thread.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:43 am I never fell in love with my FoST but I wouldn't call it a second thought.
I would have enjoyed owning a FoST more than my GTI. They came out after I bought the MK6.
ChrisoftheNorth

Wow, I legit liked my MK6. Offing it is my regrat.

But, it was a 4-door without a sunroof. Great spec car.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:18 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:58 am Wow, I legit liked my MK6. Offing it is my regrat.

:dat:

Should've kept my Mk6.

However, without the GP, I likely wouldn't have gotten my job at MINI, so... :aintcare:
See, you never know what decisions will lead to something else.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:58 am Wow, I legit liked my MK6. Offing it is my regrat.

Yeah that would have been a better spec than the one I got. But. I should have got a WRX or Speed 3. I said no to the Mazda because of the smiley face, but the car drove awesome IMO and was a ton more fun than the GTI. I said no to the WRX..... I don't remember why. Clutch feel? Both were stupid reasons.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

My first biggest regret has been getting rid of my Mach1 for the Vette. It was a stupid move, as I'd just purchased around $1,400 in suspension parts to finally start making the car "mine", and it was really close to being paid off. But, the urge hit and I traded it on a Vette, sold the parts and rocked that car for awhile with a smile on my face.

Next was purchasing the MK6 in a hurry without doing the research on vehicles I normally do. I wanted out of my DD, an 03 GrandAm, and the Vette I no longer drove, but still wanted something sporty that would be a good DD. Really only looked at 2 vehicles, the GTI and the FR-S/BRZ and didn't consider anything else. No dealer around here would let me drive the FR-S/BRZ without putting a down payment down on one, not a deposit, and I wasn't willing to do that. Went to the VW dealer and found a car on the lot that I immediately like cause it was kind of quirky and was fun to drive. Fast forward just over 3 years of ownership and 4 water pumps later, I unloaded it for the Rav4 my wife now drives because I couldn't deal with the headaches of the GTI anymore.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

No regrats here. First new car I purchase was a 2008 MKV GTI and I loved the hell out of that car. Did a ton of research on it and I was never unhappy with it. Tons of space to haul stuff, plenty of pep with the turbo and DSG, good in-between gas mileage between a fun car and daily driving gas economy in the middle of the gas crunch of '08.

While I don't regret buying it new, I will likely never buy a new vehicle again. Paying close to $26K or so total and then selling it for $7K just kind of hits you right in the gut.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

My GTI was a mistake. I was 21 at the time and let impulse take over. I had my Civic Si and wanted out desperately because I wanted something that had tq and I was in love with the WRX. In reality I could have afforded the WRX at the time but dealers were fucking with me since I was only 21. When I went to the last Subaru dealer they were also a VW dealer and it was the first time I really looked at an mk6 in person.The superior interior won me over and I decided to buy it that day. By the time we worked the deal out the finance dept was gone since it was the day before thanksgiving. We had the deal all worked out and I was payment shopping back then and it was going to be $300 a month. They let me take the car and told me to come back the day after thanksgiving to finalize all the paperwork. When I went back they told me my payment was going to be $315 a month which wasnt a huge increase but I did the smart thing and told them to fuck off and give me my Civic back because that was way too much dealer BS. That should have been my sign to skip the GTI but I went out and bought a different one the next week. Dealer played me like a fiddle and I paid way too much and took a bath on my Civic trade.

The deal really soured me on the ownership experience and the fact that I settled instead of getting a WRX in the first place led me to plac it in a year for the WRX but I wouldn't be here without my time in the GTI.

The only other one I regret was the Ecoboost Mustang. Loved the looks and interior but hated the engine. Should have gotten the V8 but I also shouldn't have traded the WRX on it because it was my favorite car I've had and I really did love it.

Said GTI

Said Mustang

And the one that got away
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:53 am
Johnny_P wrote:
I would have enjoyed owning a FoST more than my GTI. They came out after I bought the MK6.
Honestly I thought I would have too. It's a better car. I am never liked it nearly as much as the GTI. No reason. Just didn't.
Total opposite for me I loved mine 110% more than my GTI
Johnny_P

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:54 amThe only other one I regret was the Ecoboost Mustang. Loved the looks and interior but hated the engine. Should have gotten the V8 but I also shouldn't have traded the WRX on it because it was my favorite car I've had and I really did love it.

Oh shit a red 2011?

That was the juan I wanted. Thos fender flares doe.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:02 am
dtraill27 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:54 amThe only other one I regret was the Ecoboost Mustang. Loved the looks and interior but hated the engine. Should have gotten the V8 but I also shouldn't have traded the WRX on it because it was my favorite car I've had and I really did love it.

Oh shit a red 2011?

yep still had the black headlights it was so good looking. bought in 13 with 30k and traded it in 15k with 60k. Not counting the mountaineer its the longest I've kept a car. I let the plastic interior and shit stereo get to me. I should have just modded the interior. I already had the Invidia q300 on it so I didn't need to do anything else for sound.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:02 am Oh shit a red 2011?

That gif :lolol: