The Second Thoughts/Buyers Remorse Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:43 am Maybe I should buy a car that's NOT a VW. They're all I've ever owned. I'm a fan of the egg I guess.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Don't fix whats not broken? :iono:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Although before the R, I actually did test drive other stuff. My previous eggs I didn't see what else was out there. I went right to the VW :dillerman: for a GTI.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Really only one regret, that being the STi. I love the car, but holy hell what a stupid decision. The GTI was paid off and we're a couple thousand from having the RDX paid for. We'd be car payment free with cars having ~50k and 40k miles. Golden for years to come.

But no, I went through that whole electrical fiasco with the dealership where they couldn't figure out it was just a bad battery. Then I had to have the valves cleaned just a few months later, and I :nope: out of the car. Stupid, though. Now had clean valves :derp: , updated tensioner, new battery, nearly new tires, and the typical TSI problems like the injectors, intake manifold, water pump, etc. hadn't cropped up at all on my car. New PCV, new plugs and coils. Just dumb. All I really needed to do was find a more experienced indy mechanic and I'd have been able to roll in the egg for a long time.

Now I'm staring at a $29k buyout and there's just no way I'm doing that when I could have been totally car payment free. Here's to hoping I can off it for ~$36k, get most of my money back, and just about pay cash for a clean MK5 or MK6.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:21 pm Really only one regret, that being the STi. I love the car, but holy hell what a stupid decision. The GTI was paid off and we're a couple thousand from having the RDX paid for. We'd be car payment free with cars having ~50k and 40k miles. Golden for years to come.

But no, I went through that whole electrical fiasco with the dealership where they couldn't figure out it was just a bad battery. Then I had to have the valves cleaned just a few months later, and I :nope: out of the car. Stupid, though. Now had clean valves :derp: , updated tensioner, new battery, nearly new tires, and the typical TSI problems like the injectors, intake manifold, water pump, etc. hadn't cropped up at all on my car. New PCV, new plugs and coils. Just dumb. All I really needed to do was find a more experienced indy mechanic and I'd have been able to roll in the egg for a long time.

Now I'm staring at a $29k buyout and there's just no way I'm doing that when I could have been totally car payment free. Here's to hoping I can off it for ~$36k, get most of my money back, and just about pay cash for a clean MK5 or MK6.
:wat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:25 pm
Interested? :dillerman:
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:29 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:25 pm
Nope. Just doesn't make any sense. You list all the issues you could have with a MK6/5 then decide it's better than your brand new problem free car?

Makes zero sense. That's some serious :plac: shit, breh.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:33 pm

Nope. Just doesn't make any sense. You list all the issues you could have with a MK6/5 then decide it's better than your brand new problem free car?

The :plac: shit was buying the STi in the first place. We worked for so damn long to get to a point of being debt free aside from the mortgage and then I went out and put a $29k liability out there at the end of this lease. So fucking stupid.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:36 pm

The :plac: shit was buying the STi in the first place. We worked for so damn long to get to a point of being debt free aside from the mortgage and then I went out and put a $29k liability out there at the end of this lease. So fucking stupid.

You just give it back. You don't owe that money. Or is this some sort of balloon loan?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I really don't give a shit if it's another GTI, or a clean 04-07 WRX, or a damn Accord. I'm done with car payments.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:37 pm You just give it back. You don't owe that money. Or is this some sort of balloon loan?
::sigh:: obviously. I'd planned on buying out the car at the end of the lease, or to save the interest expense of floating the residual for the next 2.5 years buying it out now. Either feels really stupid when I had a crazy clean, 50k mile, paid off car.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:42 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:37 pm You just give it back. You don't owe that money. Or is this some sort of balloon loan?
::sigh:: obviously. I'd planned on buying out the car at the end of the lease, or to save the interest expense of floating the residual for the next 2.5 years buying it out now. Either feels really stupid when I had a crazy clean, 50k mile, paid off car.
Or, you just run out the lease and give it back, no harm no foul?

Did you get a :crang: :dillerman: deal on the lease up the :knot: for like $700/mo or something?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:21 pm Really only one regret, that being the STi. I love the car, but holy hell what a stupid decision. The GTI was paid off and we're a couple thousand from having the RDX paid for. We'd be car payment free with cars having ~50k and 40k miles. Golden for years to come.

:wtf:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:44 pm

Did you get a :crang: :dillerman: deal on the lease up the :knot: for like $700/mo or something?
After trading the GTI, I think his lease payment is like $100 a month or something silly like that.
Johnny_P

:dat:

A MK5/6 without those issues is a MK5/6 about to have those issues.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:45 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:44 pm

After trading the GTI, I think his lease payment is like $100 a month or something silly like that.
Ohhhh he used the trade as cap cost reduction.

That sucks.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:45 pm

A MK5/6 without those issues is a MK5/6 about to have those issues.
:dat: :dat: :dat:
Johnny_P

Paid off or making payments doesn't really play into the cost of ownership of the car.
Pro tip: Owning a new car isn't that much more expensive than owning a problem-laden used one. They both depreciate. One requires far more maintenance than the other. The only real value play in automotive land is to buy a depreciated dependable used car, which no enthusiast will do.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:43 am Maybe I should buy a car that's NOT a VW. They're all I've ever owned. I'm a fan of the egg I guess.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
you like the ARR doe? :iono: if you like it you like it.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Paid off or making payments doesn't really play into the cost of ownership of the car.
Pro tip: Owning a new car isn't that much more expensive than owning a problem-laden used one. They both depreciate. One requires far more maintenance than the other. The only real value play in automotive land is to buy a depreciated dependable used car, which no enthusiast will do.

Or, a 1SMP lease on something with maintenance covered and $0 down.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

My lease payment is $141.xx, so over 36 months I'm basically at $5k. It's also $75/mo more expensive to insure than the GTI, so there's another $2,700. Registration is ~$500/year more expensive, there's another $1,500. It's about 7mpg less efficient so far, so over 30,000 miles that's a difference of another $1,300 at $3/gal. The baked in depreciation hit of the full $11,500 trade-in from the GTI versus maybe another $4-5k in depreciation on the GTI over the next 3 years comes to a difference of $18,000 more over the next 3 years.

That would seem to be more than ample for maintenance and repairs.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

I get regretting taking on the payment but man I would not go back to an mk5/6 there are better options for the money if you want the no payment life
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:58 pm

My lease payment is $141.xx, so over 36 months I'm basically at $5k. It's also $75/mo more expensive to insure than the GTI, so there's another $2,700. Registration is ~$500/year more expensive, there's another $1,500. It's about 7mpg less efficient so far, so over 30,000 miles that's a difference of another $1,300 at $3/gal. The baked in depreciation hit of the full $11,500 trade-in from the GTI versus maybe another $4-5k in depreciation on the GTI over the next 3 years comes to a difference of $18,000 more over the next 3 years.

That would seem to be more than ample for maintenance and repairs.
That's just way too :scrooge:

I bet it'll all be a wash in the end when the VW's engine explodes.
ChrisoftheNorth

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:00 pm I get regretting taking on the payment but man I would not go back to an mk5/6 there are better options for the money if you want the no payment life
Totally.

If :scrooge: is the name of the game, start checking out some Civics.
ChrisoftheNorth

Or apparently Mazderp 3's are nearly free.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:05 pm Or apparently Mazderp 3's are nearly free.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

Hey is me ur next car