The Second Thoughts/Buyers Remorse Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:45 pm
Acid666 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:42 pm

I got rid of my GTI because I was starting to get those smalllllll little parts breaking down. I kept up with the routine maintenance, but the hassle of replacing simple parts on that little German 2.0L crammed in that engine bay made me not want to deal with it.
The depreciation was depressing too. $26K total out the door in '08. Sold for $7K in '16.
How many miles?
80K. The water pump/belts were next on the list of routine maintenance, and at a shop price of about $500+, I really didn't want to deal with it knowing that it's the start of parts taking a turn for the worst and needing to be replaced. My research told me that doing the water pump/belt replacement was a major pain in the ass, some people removed the whole front clip, some raised or dropped the engine 4" (can't remember which). At that point I didn't have the time or patience to really dig into those kinds of things. I had a truck that I got for the house that turned into my daily (A steal at $3K), and I wanted to sell it before 100K miles to get the most out of it.
Blue book on it was about $8,600 I think, and with the paint scratches from that aluminum building rolling over it I knocked a whole $1K off the price. The response was so bad that I sold it to the only serious buyer for $7K because I just wanted it gone to put that money into my Z06. Easier to work on, and it's already had most of its depreciation hit so if I sell it 2-4 years down the road I'm not out that much money.

I don't regret buying the MKV new one bit. It was my first major vehicle purchase myself and I got exactly what I wanted. This was in the gas crunch of '08 so I wanted something small and sporty, fairly economical, with cargo space. It did all of that. Would I purchase new again? Hell no. I can work on Chevys all day on the cheap. But when that GTI had an electronic failure it left me stranded.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

coogles wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:55 pm I didn't think depreciation on my GTI was too bad at all. Sticker was $28.3, sold it 6.5 years later for $11.5 on trade. Even at sticker that nets out to $210/mo. When I was looking to sell it at 3.5 years I was only getting trade offers for $14-$14.5, but then only dropping $3k in the next three years? I'll take that.
:notbad:

:plac: should look at this and maybe he won't be in much debt.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:36 am Image

I guess it's not TERRIBAD, but still... :disgust:
Dat face. :disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:40 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:36 am Image

I guess it's not TERRIBAD, but still... :disgust:
I can put up with the front end I think. The rear is where it all falls apart with the giant fakevents. Then again you're basically never looking at the rear of the car so :whocares: ? I think the STI's rear end is pretty bad aside from the wing but I never look at it so meh.

I think the coupe looks better in the back.

:datass: :gag:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Acid666 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:24 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:45 pm

How many miles?
80K. The water pump/belts were next on the list of routine maintenance, and at a shop price of about $500+, I really didn't want to deal with it knowing that it's the start of parts taking a turn for the worst and needing to be replaced. My research told me that doing the water pump/belt replacement was a major pain in the ass, some people removed the whole front clip, some raised or dropped the engine 4" (can't remember which). At that point I didn't have the time or patience to really dig into those kinds of things. I had a truck that I got for the house that turned into my daily (A steal at $3K), and I wanted to sell it before 100K miles to get the most out of it.
Blue book on it was about $8,600 I think, and with the paint scratches from that aluminum building rolling over it I knocked a whole $1K off the price. The response was so bad that I sold it to the only serious buyer for $7K because I just wanted it gone to put that money into my Z06. Easier to work on, and it's already had most of its depreciation hit so if I sell it 2-4 years down the road I'm not out that much money.

I don't regret buying the MKV new one bit. It was my first major vehicle purchase myself and I got exactly what I wanted. This was in the gas crunch of '08 so I wanted something small and sporty, fairly economical, with cargo space. It did all of that. Would I purchase new again? Hell no. I can work on Chevys all day on the cheap. But when that GTI had an electronic failure it left me stranded.
:dat: after this, no more new german cars, either lease or get used. That's what most BMW owners do, they lease their cars, "that makes them smart"
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

wap wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:40 am

I can put up with the front end I think. The rear is where it all falls apart with the giant fakevents. Then again you're basically never looking at the rear of the car so :whocares: ? I think the STI's rear end is pretty bad aside from the wing but I never look at it so meh.

I think the coupe looks better in the back.

That spoiler has got to go, but other than that :notbad: IMO
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

double post :fuckyeah:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
wap

4zilch wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:04 pm
wap wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm

That spoiler has got to go, but other than that :notbad: IMO
Eh. The spoiler, the toomah bump on the coupe, the big black fake grills on the sedan. It all just needs to be cleaned up, then it would be ok.
wap

4zilch wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:04 pm double post :fuckyeah:
:fuckyeah:
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:36 pm Civics/corollas/accords/camrys are the cheapest vehicles to own if you own them from 0-10 years and buy new...

Low depreciation
Nearly no maintenance
epic reliability

None of that can be said about a GTI.
+1 the NFG lineup above. The rest are not even close - GTi etc etc. Korean depreciation might be worse than German.....
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:36 pm Civics/corollas/accords/camrys are the cheapest vehicles to own if you own them from 0-10 years and buy new...

Low depreciation
Nearly no maintenance
epic reliability

None of that can be said about a GTI.
Go figure, a way better car costs more :mindblown:
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:03 am
dtraill27 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:00 pm

I just built a premium model cause thats what I had previously to see if it'd be any cheaper. Not even 2k cheaper. LED lights are worth that on their own.
Oh Daaaaaavvveeeeee.....

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/su ... 17-feature
Well this is relevant to my interests