The Second Thoughts/Buyers Remorse Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

dtraill27 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:00 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:51 pm

:yeahok:
I just built a premium model cause thats what I had previously to see if it'd be any cheaper. Not even 2k cheaper. LED lights are worth that on their own.
The stereo upgrade is worth it if you can :troywax: the stock stereo is so damn pathetic. I don't even value audio quality and I think it's bad. Think iPhone in a cup. That's the sound quality if you can even hear it over the exhaust and road noise :lolol: :sad: :rage:
Johnny_P

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:57 pm My only thought was I should've gotten a manual instead of DSG with the current GTI, but at the same time, I don't regret the car either. I loved my previous mk6 more than mk7, and mk7 is really a love/hate relationship.
They put all the effort into development of the DSG basically for this car alone. The DSG is the trans to get in my opinion, the car pairs well with it.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:34 pm

I just built a premium model cause thats what I had previously to see if it'd be any cheaper. Not even 2k cheaper. LED lights are worth that on their own.
The stereo upgrade is worth it if you can :troywax: the stock stereo is so damn pathetic. I don't even value audio quality and I think it's bad. Think iPhone in a cup. That's the sound quality if you can even hear it over the exhaust and road noise :lolol: :sad: :rage:
Yeah my 2011 was unbelievably bad. I have a coworker who is super good with car audio so I'd probably go the aftermarket route rather than stock system.

Also Subaru plz

Johnny_P

dtraill27 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:37 pm

Yeah my 2011 was unbelievably bad. I have a coworker who is super good with car audio so I'd probably go the aftermarket route rather than stock system.

Also Subaru plz

WRX/STI won't get changes till 2020 I think. I wouldn't expect a wagon model until that timeframe.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Subaru will never build that wagon for sale here. They can't pound out enough Outbacks, Foresters, and Crosstreks. Why add to the complexity?

Just buy an Outback. :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:43 pm Subaru will never build that wagon for sale here. They can't pound out enough Outbacks, Foresters, and Crosstreks. Why add to the complexity?

I don't own enough flannel for that
Apex
Drives: Abominable

dtraill27 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:43 pm Subaru will never build that wagon for sale here. They can't pound out enough Outbacks, Foresters, and Crosstreks. Why add to the complexity?

:lolol:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

dtraill27 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:37 pm

Also Subaru plz

Turbro AWD family hauler... :megusta:
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

dtraill27 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:49 pm

:bravo:
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:27 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:58 am Wow, I legit liked my MK6. Offing it is my regrat.

But, it was a 4-door without a sunroof. Great spec car.
Yeah that would have been a better spec than the one I got. But. I should have got a WRX or Speed 3. I said no to the Mazda because of the smiley face, but the car drove awesome IMO and was a ton more fun than the GTI. I said no to the WRX..... I don't remember why. Clutch feel? Both were stupid reasons.
:dat:

I was ready to deal on the ms3 in 2011 but there were only black ones in Charlotte and I didn't know much about :dill: back then. They didn't have 2012s yet and I hate black cars so I got the 2012 GTI. The MS3 was my first choice, it was just so fun to drive, but my Civic had become a two speed manual and I had my first full time big boy job so I needed new transport asap.

I don't regret it though, I really enjoyed the GTI and it was a car I wanted basically since age four when my dad drove a Rabbit. Also, more importantly, it led me to DFD, which is fun and it's been cool to have new friends all over the country while I've been traveling for work.

I did lose $10k in depreciation to own the GTI for 40k miles, but YOLO.

I don't even regret my POS Miata, it was fun to own and experience.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:36 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:57 pm My only thought was I should've gotten a manual instead of DSG with the current GTI, but at the same time, I don't regret the car either. I loved my previous mk6 more than mk7, and mk7 is really a love/hate relationship.
They put all the effort into development of the DSG basically for this car alone. The DSG is the trans to get in my opinion, the car pairs well with it.
Dsg is just right for these cars, I would not manual again on them tbh. I don't really miss the manual as much on my mk6, when I've driven appliances with them that were quite better.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:23 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:36 pm

Dsg is just right for these cars, I would not manual again on them tbh. I don't really miss the manual as much on my mk6, when I've driven appliances with them that were quite better.
The little shitbox Nissan Micra opened my eyes to that.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:24 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:23 pm

The little shitbox Nissan Micra opened my eyes to that.
same with the hyundai rental I've driven couple summers ago. I somehow really like that car even though it was on 75hp and a NA motor.

French cars though are kinda meh compared to my mk6, but not too soft. Maybe that's why their manuals end up like that.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

We should not have bought our Jetta 6. It was time to replace my wife's old college car beater Civic. She wanted a small SUV but living in Chicago an no kids in our foreseeable future a 2.5 auto MK6 Jetta made perfect sense. That car will be trouble free until the end of time. Shortly after we bought it we up and left on a whim to move to Colorado... all of a sudden a small sedan didn't seem like the right choice anymore. After a year we were in a nice house, in a nice place and our stance on kid changed. A little while later we had a sedan in the mountains for a family. I wish we never bought it but its paid off and not valuable enough to justify getting rid of it for something else. We should have just bought a RAV4 like she wanted in the first place.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
Johnny_P

Dbest wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:53 am We should not have bought our Jetta 6. It was time to replace my wife's old college car beater Civic. She wanted a small SUV but living in Chicago an no kids in our foreseeable future a 2.5 auto MK6 Jetta made perfect sense. That car will be trouble free until the end of time. Shortly after we bought it we up and left on a whim to move to Colorado... all of a sudden a small sedan didn't seem like the right choice anymore. After a year we were in a nice house, in a nice place and our stance on kid changed. A little while later we had a sedan in the mountains for a family. I wish we never bought it but its paid off and not valuable enough to justify getting rid of it for something else. We should have just bought a RAV4 like she wanted in the first place.
At least it's reliable doe? Also the trunk is big so not the worst pick for a family hauler.

Get an outback next :megasta: lol

How's the 4x4 party mobile working out for you?
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

I bought a '91 Montana Green 8v GTI back in 2008 I believe. It was awesome. Easy to work on and modify. Undid the rat's nest of alarms and stereo nonsense from the prior owners and had it running fantastically. Lowered it, sway bars, Borbet Type T wheels... she wasn't that great a looker since the hood and roof paint was fucked and there was a large dent in the passenger door, but it was an awesome around town machine. Saved my ass when the R32 was down for months during the summer of '09.

A friend then buys another friend's Corrado G60 that is halfway between a T3/T4 swap. Seller was getting a divorce, buyer fully intended to part it out and make some money off it. I bought the front and rear brakes and sweet jesus what an upgrade. It was glorious.

Then said friend convinced me that the motor would "bolt right up" (in truth, it mostly did) and I could have an awesomely fast Mk2. After much waffling, I pulled the trigger and went to work. I was way over my head, but motor seller and another friend helped some. I spent too much on parts and nonsense since the project was incomplete to begin with. Got to 95% done - would start but not idle - and had some wiring issues, and lost any drive and motivation to finish it. There was always something else that needed tweaking, felt like 1 step, forward 2 back. When I bought my house I called AAA to flatbed it to the new place and threw the driver an extra $20 cash to tuck it perfectly in the 3rd garage stall.

That's where it sat for two years, untouched. I finally decided I wanted my garage back, put it up for sale and let it go for a song, with all the parts, to another local in the VW community. The buyer had another turbo Mk2 and wanted to build one for his younger brother. It went to good people, it is probably (hopefully) running well in AZ, but I lost my ass on it. I should have never bit the bullet on the swap. That car was so much fun around town with the suspension and brakes, and I could rail on it without breaking the law. I didn't even care that the A/C was shit, in Arizona.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:00 am
Dbest wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:53 am We should not have bought our Jetta 6. It was time to replace my wife's old college car beater Civic. She wanted a small SUV but living in Chicago an no kids in our foreseeable future a 2.5 auto MK6 Jetta made perfect sense. That car will be trouble free until the end of time. Shortly after we bought it we up and left on a whim to move to Colorado... all of a sudden a small sedan didn't seem like the right choice anymore. After a year we were in a nice house, in a nice place and our stance on kid changed. A little while later we had a sedan in the mountains for a family. I wish we never bought it but its paid off and not valuable enough to justify getting rid of it for something else. We should have just bought a RAV4 like she wanted in the first place.
At least it's reliable doe? Also the trunk is big so not the worst pick for a family hauler.

It hasn't had a single problem of any kind (with the exception of a rodent biting through the throttle body wiring.

I 4Runner I still love more than anything else in the world lol it's about to get King suspension and some caster corrected control arms. Mild lift, just 2", not enough to stress the front CVs or pull the rear axle to to the side,, no diff drop or extended lines neededand I'm going do regular ball joint versions of the control arms, no uniball maintenance, no compression adjusters, no long travel just set it and forget it, top of the line quality suspension without the hassles, loss of reliability or durability, and nothing working near its limits. The initial purchase is expensive but they are fully rebuildable for about $45 a corner in parts and typicall service life before needing a rebuilt seems to be 70K or so.

I pretty much dispise anything Subaru.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
Johnny_P

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:51 pm

:yeahok:
Oh Daaaaaavvveeeeee.....

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/su ... 17-feature
Johnny_P

Dbest wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:39 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:00 am

It hasn't had a single problem of any kind (with the exception of a rodent biting through the throttle body wiring.

I 4Runner I still love more than anything else in the world lol it's about to get King suspension and some caster corrected control arms. Mild lift, just 2", not enough to stress the front CVs or pull the rear axle to to the side,, no diff drop or extended lines neededand I'm going do regular ball joint versions of the control arms, no uniball maintenance, no compression adjusters, no long travel just set it and forget it, top of the line quality suspension without the hassles, loss of reliability or durability, and nothing working near its limits. The initial purchase is expensive but they are fully rebuildable for about $45 a corner in parts and typicall service life before needing a rebuilt seems to be 70K or so.

I pretty much dispise anything Subaru.
I'd love to own a 4Runner at some point. But if it drives anything like my work Exploder then :nope:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:03 am Oh Daaaaaavvveeeeee.....

:ohdang: Only one second between the WRX perf pack and the STi. Lame. :facepalm:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Also, the new Civic Si ran the same time as a perf pack GTI. That's pretty surprising. :disappoint:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:56 am

:ohdang: Only one second between the WRX perf pack and the STi. Lame. :facepalm:
You mean the same car with nearly the same amount of power is nearly as fast ?!

:mindblown:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:05 am

You mean the same car with nearly the same amount of power is nearly as fast ?!

:mindblown:
:sass:
Johnny_P

I think it's awesome. But I prefer the rumbles of the STI engine, it's peaky power delivery, and the much better driving connection/feeling. The WRX's engine was not for me. Shame, because if it had a more interesting motor I'd have just bought it. Absolutely nobody home below 2500 RPM, worse than the STI, power dies off up top, DI carbon build up to deal with from a 1st gen system, and around town driving would be horrible once it became heat soaked.

If you're tracking the car the STI is still the one to get. The transmission is stronger, the diffs are far better, and you don't rely on torque vectoring through the brakes. It'll hold up to repeated track lapping much better.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:01 am Also, the new Civic Si ran the same time as a perf pack GTI. That's pretty surprising. :disappoint:
Everyone shat on the Si when it was announced with the 1.5T :jalepenis: motor, yet it sounds like it's a pretty solid performer. :notbad: I'd consider one if shopping this segment.