The rental car thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I was going to just write a review of the recent mom-mobile I had in Oregon but figured others would enjoy chiming in on how they beat the piss out of their rental cars, etc.

Anyway...

2017 Ford Escape SE, 1.5T, AWD
(not my pictures here)

Exterior wise, this thing was about as generic as you can possibly get. It didn't look bad at all but we did lose it a few times in parking lots because all these silver SUVs look the same. Dimensions are pretty tidy, it's 2" shorter than my car so it was pretty easily street parked. The cargo area was pretty good, easily held one massive checked bag and one carry on roller without stacking them. Lift over was pretty low so it was easy to get all that shit in the trunk.

Interior was a mixed bag. I liked the dashboard and the gauge cluster. It could show you a bunch of fuel economy info or be more basic and show miles, eco leaves, speedometer or other stuff. I'll come back to the fuel economy in a minute. Fit and finish was generally not that great, lots of plastic flashing, curious center console lid opener, staining on the door cards on a car with 3k miles, and a couple very small rattles.
But it was not all bad. The seats were very comfortable and held you in well during hard cornering. The seat was like 12 way adjustable or something so it was stupid easy to get comfortable for the long haul in this thing. Steering wheel telescoped nicely and was a good shape, but the typical cheap Ford foam/urethane garbage. Rear seat was usable for 2 more adults so no problems with passenger space. Dual zone climate worked great and the AC was powerful. I personally liked the interior and the way it all worked.
Sound quality was better than my STI :derp: but that fucking radio can suck it. Hard to figure out and wouldn't play nicely over USB with our iphones.

So the drive.
This car has basically no sporting pretense, so I really wasn't sure what to expect. But surprisingly it was pretty competent. You could throw it into a turn harder than you thought you should, and it stuck pretty well. Ride was good, it soaked up bumps better than the Tiguan. Smooth but somewhat sporty ride quality. Body roll was well managed, it had good grip around turns. The steering is accurate and smooth but doesn't have any feedback and is really light. Light enough that it's easy to induce a secondary body motion just from the steering wheel. Brakes had a nice initial bite and felt strong but braking distances were rather long-ish with some nose dive. To be expected I guess.

Transmission was generally well behaved around town. There was the odd super hard shift, but far far less than in the Tiguan. The 6AT will happily lug the tiny :jalepenis: motor up every goddamn hill. You can hit the downshift paddle (yes, paddle shifters!) and it would downshift, but then upshift in like 10 seconds, lol. Put it in sport and it'll obey your commands, or you can leave it to its own devices and it was generally very well behaved in sport. It slips the TC with every shift doe, so while shifts happen quick, they don't happen firm and positive. Downshifts aren't exactly crisp despite happening quickly. It didn't provoke you to drive hard, and didn't really want to be driven hard. But, it would put up with it.

The engine. That was the real downfall of this thing. The engine had decent torque around town and up to about 45-50 MPH. After that, forget it. It was just all noise and disappointment. It could cruise on the highway just fine, but go to pass someone and it just didn't have the balls to pull off much acceleration at highway speeds. With the 2.0T I think this could be a really good vehicle. So that tiny engine, you figure well at least you get good fuel economy. Not really. I got 25 MPG average. That's with a 50/50 mix of town and highway driving over about 900 miles. A handful of mountain passes too. Not horrible I guess but I expected better, in the 27 range maybe? for a car with such modest power. Ran on donkey piss 87 doe so there's that.

So. I didn't hate it. It was a great car to just derp around in. Jump in and go somewhere NFG. The AWD system was unnecessary and that's a box best left unchecked I think, unless it quells torque steer or wheel hop with the 2.0T. It could use more ground clearance for actual dirt road driving, I think it had like 6" or so which was fine for what I was doing, but would easily bottom out on a jeep road. It needed a bigger motor, that tiny dick motor just couldn't cut it. I appreciated the comfy yet sporty seat, comfy yet sporty handling, and the relatively competent transmission. Excellent road trip car. Decent DD. Great at hauling random shit without feeling and handling like a barge.

Put a easier to use stereo in it, more powerful motor, leather steering wheel, and you've got a winner. :iono: And I appreciated having an automatic, especially one that could be coaxed out of its fuel economy behavior. No, the auto wasn't as fun for stig driving, but I don't exactly do that often.

Not going to go out and buy one. But I don't hate CUVs nearly as much as I did.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I like this thread.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

You know the BMW X1... is basically everything the Escape is but +1 better in every department. Fantastic :derp: mobile.

I beat the piss out of a Suburban on a lot of the same roads that the TRUKs in the CD test blew their shocks on. Great SUV, even though it isn't camp worthy.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I rented a Ford Expedition from Hertz in Hawaii, and took zero pics. It had the EcoBroost. It was huge, and made my Tahoe feel like an M2. It had the backup camera, but my phone was blocking said camera when I backed straight into some Indian brogrammer from Mountain View's Nissan minivan. Popped it right in the sliding door. It was in a small parking lot I just wanted to get the fk out of, and the brogrammer just pulled in right behind me. Still my fault doe. :derp: Fortunately the brogrammer's Nissan with a Hertz rental too, so rental v. rental, nobody GAF. I have not heard from Hertz about my "incident" The Ecobroost made decent power but 2/7 would not Expedition.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:36 pm You know the BMW X1... is basically everything the Escape is but +1 better in every department. Fantastic :derp: mobile.

I beat the piss out of a Suburban on a lot of the same roads that the TRUKs in the CD test blew their shocks on. Great SUV, even though it isn't camp worthy.
Yeah an X1 is :notbad: basically a Mini Cooper but with an uncorked motor.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:38 pm I rented a Ford Expedition from Hertz in Hawaii, and took zero pics. It had the EcoBroost. It was huge, and made my Tahoe feel like an M2. It had the backup camera, but my phone was blocking said camera when I backed straight into some Indian brogrammer from Mountain View's Nissan minivan. Popped it right in the sliding door. It was in a small parking lot I just wanted to get the fk out of, and the brogrammer just pulled in right behind me. Still my fault doe. :derp: Fortunately the brogrammer's Nissan with a Hertz rental too, so rental v. rental, nobody GAF. I have not heard from Hertz about my "incident" The Ecobroost made decent power but 2/7 would not Expedition.
Those things are barges.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

All chime in for all rental history I can remember, cause I'm in Turkey and suffering with jetlag.

8th gen Civic - slow as balls, can't seem to achieve the claimed mpg cause I drove it hard just to get it going :lol: pretty spacious interior for what it si

2012 Ford Fiesta Manual in Turkey, I believe it was a 1.4 or 1.2 diesel, pretty much slowest fiesta ever made -
Interior is pretty much base ford product, handles good, but slow as balls. Not to mention, I drove on mountain hilly roads with 3 more people and luggages/bags fill up to brim, had to really wind out the gears. Especially when I recently got my mk6 Gti at the time, I was pretty much downshifting to 3 whenever I approach the hill with decent grade. I have also squealed tires a couple of times as I was understeering on tight corners as well.

9th gen Civic - look at 8th gen*

2012ish Dodge Avenger - one of the worst POS's i've driven, uncomfortable, slow as fuck, I wouldn't even pay 10k for it. Oh I drove over a speed bump well about 30 mph and scraped the bottom of the front bumper, fortunately, there was no evidence.

2014 Passat 1.8t - really like the car, could see myself owning it as a daily if not my only car. Rented in Miami, drove to Key West and back. Pick up was fairly good than I was expecting. The trans programming is typical vw, rushing to 6th gear like a kid running towards Disney Land. Interior has that American car rental vibe to it, good quality but has that vibe. Very comfortable car for a 4 hour roadtrip.

2008ish Peugeot 307
Rented it on a Greek Island (Samos). Not really a terrible car to drive, similar to regular Jetta's and Golf's, but softer. steering feels good, clutch has some connection for an appliance (even after 60k miles of potential abuse). Interior is falling apart, some electronic glitches (mostly on power windows). We actually found out sex has happened in the back seat, as the seat bottom torn apart from it's place, broken rear door handles, and dried anal on the seat.

2013 Chevy Impala Classic (the previous gen)
Car is almost close to my mk6 GTI stock, from my butt dyno. Picks up gears without hesitation. But eats gas, interior somehow reminds you as a poor loser. Engine sounds like I'm in a crown victoria cab. Turning radius is a joke compared to my dad's Ford Expedition.

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Rented in Cancun just to drive couple places 2 hours away. I never went top down thanks to the hard top, and didn't wanna fuck it up, it still has that top down vibe to it. Steering wonders a lot on highway. Not exactly a car that is meant to do hard braking regularly or corner like in the sporty cars, duh.

2014 Altima
shitty car, shitty plastics, dat CVT whine, need I say more?

2015 Hyundai i20, 1.3 NA, 75 hp
Rented for a roadtrip in Turkey. Car turned to be a lot better than I was expecting. For what it is, steering is 7 out of 10, gear box 8 out of 10. Interior is actually a pleasurable place to be in (looks little better than subaru interiors, including '15+ WRX/STI's). They hit a home run with this car. Obviously slow, duh, but still managed to hit 165 km's, roughly 102-103 mph. It's good on backroads as far as a basic econobox goes. I was disappointed that I didn't get VW Polo, Seat Ibiza, or Renault Clio, until I started leaving the rental lot. I wouldn't mind renting it again.

2016 Jetta 1.4t - Loaner
really like that car for an appliance, but not the engine (i'd get 1.8t). It reminded me a lot of my mk6 GTI and brought me nostalgia.

2016 Chrysler 200
Got it for few days as my GTI was in body shop due to accident. Improved over the previous gen of Avenger/200. really comfortable, 9th speed trans is meh, quite boaty. Great Cruiser. Tons of space.

2015 Tiguan "sport"
Not as boring for it's competition. Acceleration, throttle response is very similar to my co-workers e92 328xi. It's essentially a Golf SUV with more room and a huge sunroof, and that's about it.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I had a kawasiki versus 300 at the dragon. It was a good bike.
brain go brrrrrr
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:57 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:38 pm I rented a Ford Expedition from Hertz in Hawaii, and took zero pics. It had the EcoBroost. It was huge, and made my Tahoe feel like an M2. It had the backup camera, but my phone was blocking said camera when I backed straight into some Indian brogrammer from Mountain View's Nissan minivan. Popped it right in the sliding door. It was in a small parking lot I just wanted to get the fk out of, and the brogrammer just pulled in right behind me. Still my fault doe. :derp: Fortunately the brogrammer's Nissan with a Hertz rental too, so rental v. rental, nobody GAF. I have not heard from Hertz about my "incident" The Ecobroost made decent power but 2/7 would not Expedition.
Those things are barges.
my dad used to have the 2011 expedition EL with the ol v8, i have probably made 5 point turns to get into a parking lot when I borrowed it.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.