How did you guys got into cars?

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

The title says it all, what made your way to the DFD?

I am bored as work is ridiculously slow.

I'll start with mine. I used to be into mountain bikes when I was a kid that I have used for transport, when I was still residing in Turkey. I loved bombing downhill at 40 mph without helmet on, pass slow cars on the right in tight spaces, and other reckless shit. I loved adrenaline (still do sometimes), which part of it made me developed my way to become a car enthusiast, or should I say hooning with cars.

It also helped that my uncle was and now :plac: ing cars left and right, buy crashed/totaled ones off the auction and has a guy to resurrect them. Before I begin to get really into this life, the "enthusiast" cars I have ridden with him was a Peugeot 106 GTI, z3 clownshoe 3.0i (facelifted engine) and Seat Toledo (spanish GLI) that was tuned and has the same 1.8t engine as mk4 GTI w/ 6 speed, and Revo tuned. My uncle also influenced me to become an enthusiast.

In high school, I was more into playing basketball, it was a bigger thing to me back then as opposed to cars, so I was happy with what cars I've had back then. But when I started community college, I felt like I'm getting bored. Then I started looking at cars like no tomorrow, learned a little more stuff, etc. etc. and pulled my first enthusiast car plunge, which was a GTI. But I waited for a year until I finally managed to get one. The more I had it, the more I got into cars, modding, culture, etc.learn more about it and many more. GTI also taught me a meaning of what I like cars for, even though it isn't the best drivers car out there. I think that all sums it up.
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Last edited by Acid666 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I grew up around cars, my father had a T-bucket when I was a youngster.

I.e.

We spent almost every Saturday at a car show somewhere, weekends at shows.
Grew up around a lot of hot rods, street rods, muscle cars, the like.

Used to spend all my time drawing cars, engines, wheels, etc.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Good question! I just remember that I've always been interested. I had some thing going when I was in single digits that I'd get almost like big collectible cards in the mail each month highlighting different interesting vehicles.

As an older kid my friends were mostly interested in cars, one in particular. We worked on his 81 or 82 280z turbro which inspired me to get my short lived 86 300zx turbro.

Then in college and after [user not found] and I were buddies and were really the two car guys in our group of friends.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Grew up watching my uncle tinker on his old Dodges and Fords and developed a love for general tinkering and learned how to use hand tools from him. Then, out of financial necessity, my bro and I learned how to keep my mom's old Capri running. That was my first experience with a German car. Then she got a :gag: Chevette and a couple years later she got a Mk1 GTI and I guess I've never looked back.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Grew up at race tracks. I had one of the early Power Wheels red Jeeps at age 2-3, then started on snowmobiles at 5 and karts at 8. My dad started in karts in ~1960 and raced Indy Lights in the 80s with Al Unser Jr, Michael Andretti, etc. until running out of money and having :baby: :baby:

Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Always played with Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars as a kid. I was fascinated by my friend's dad's stickshift car when I was like 8. And then rally racing caught my attention.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I opened the door and sat down.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:05 pm Grew up watching my uncle tinker on his old Dodges and Fords and developed a love for general tinkering and learned how to use hand tools from him. Then, out of financial necessity, my bro and I learned how to keep my mom's old Capri running. That was my first experience with a German car. Then she got a :gag: Chevette and a couple years later she got a Mk1 GTI and I guess I've never looked back.
Are you talking about the European Ford Capri? Just like the one episode in Top Gear where they drove to France?
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:36 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:05 pm Grew up watching my uncle tinker on his old Dodges and Fords and developed a love for general tinkering and learned how to use hand tools from him. Then, out of financial necessity, my bro and I learned how to keep my mom's old Capri running. That was my first experience with a German car. Then she got a :gag: Chevette and a couple years later she got a Mk1 GTI and I guess I've never looked back.
Are you talking about the European Ford Capri? Just like the one episode in Top Gear where they drove to France?
Yea, the old one from the early 70's. It was essentially a Euro Ford pony car. It was :notbad: looking and it handled pretty ok, too.
wap

But, iirc, that one on Top Gear was the 2nd gen Capri. We had the first gen. The 2nd gen was quite a handsome coupe. Sorry, too lazy to look for pics atm.
wap

But, iirc, that one on Top Gear was the 2nd gen Capri. We had the first gen. The 2nd gen was quite a handsome coupe. Sorry, too lazy to look for pics atm.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

My dad got me into cars as I was always out in the garage with him growing up. Even when I was a little tike in my feety pajamas, I'd get to push the brake pedal down as he was bleeding brakes. Or he would let me have the 1/4" ratchet set so I felt like I had my own tools and could help out.

It kept growing as I did to doing more stuff with my dad to wrenching on my own cars. Eventually going full crazy and building a stripped down track 968, including welding in a cage in his garage.

The addiction started young and runs deep. He's already excited to teach my daughter about cars and wrenching.
wap

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:54 pm My dad got me into cars as I was always out in the garage with him growing up. Even when I was a little tike in my feety pajamas, I'd get to push the brake pedal down as he was bleeding brakes. Or he would let me have the 1/4" ratchet set so I felt like I had my own tools and could help out.

It kept growing as I did to doing more stuff with my dad to wrenching on my own cars. Eventually going full crazy and building a stripped down track 968, including welding in a cage in his garage.

The addiction started young and runs deep. He's already excited to teach my daughter about cars and wrenching.
Nice man. That's awesome. It'll be cool to teach your daughter about cars.
Apex

wap wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:00 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:54 pm My dad got me into cars as I was always out in the garage with him growing up. Even when I was a little tike in my feety pajamas, I'd get to push the brake pedal down as he was bleeding brakes. Or he would let me have the 1/4" ratchet set so I felt like I had my own tools and could help out.

It's one of the things I'm looking forward to! Daddy daughter bonding over cars sounds 5/7 to me.
wap

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:04 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:00 pm

It's one of the things I'm looking forward to! Daddy daughter bonding over cars sounds 5/7 to me.
:fuckyeah:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Man you guys are lucky. I didn''t even move to a house with personal garage or even a backyard until I was 12 lol. That's what happens when you grow up in a metropolitan city 2 miles away from city center. Of course being in a city, and cars being lot more expensive and harder to attain in Turkey than opposed to here, we were only a 1 car family (as for 95% of the population that are car owners), and only used it for weekends

My uncle and I pretty much the only people in the ENTIRE family that is into cars, working on cars, etc. Although my grandpa did told me stories of how he had an air cooled bug and a Citroen that has a suspension that lifts when you start the car.

Also my uncle :plac: s more than me and most of us since he got his first car in 2001, have owned 12 cars total, including his current. For the last 4 years, he went from Evo 8 -> 996 911 C2 -> BMW Z4M w/ S52? -> CLA45 AMG -> and just got an e92 M3 couple weeks ago.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:47 pm But, iirc, that one on Top Gear was the 2nd gen Capri. We had the first gen. The 2nd gen was quite a handsome coupe. Sorry, too lazy to look for pics atm.
Yeah that was the 2nd gen, appeared to be a late 80's car. I believe one of my dads friend in Turkey had the mk1 as well. Those were pretty much the mustangs of Europe. Now I believe scirocco is considered in that category, cause that low roofline, I have ridden in the current one, and it felt almost like in a camaro in terms of visibility, but not as bad.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:19 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:47 pm But, iirc, that one on Top Gear was the 2nd gen Capri. We had the first gen. The 2nd gen was quite a handsome coupe. Sorry, too lazy to look for pics atm.
Yeah that was the 2nd gen, appeared to be a late 80's car. I believe one of my dads friend in Turkey had the mk1 as well. Those were pretty much the mustangs of Europe. Now I believe scirocco is considered in that category, cause that low roofline, I have ridden in the current one, and it felt almost like in a camaro in terms of visibility, but not as bad.
Right. It was pretty much a Euro mustang. It was also rwd, unlike the Scirocco.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Dad is a marine mechanic. Watched alot of nascar and drag racing with him growing up. He always DIY'ed our cars, and I helped when i could. That's what got me started.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I opened the door and climbed in.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Dad DIY'd too, but I didn't really find personal interest in cars until I got one. First car was actually a 70's suv as old as I was and it wouldn't run in the rain. Did my own cables, spark plugs and distributor cap. When the car ran greatly on the first rainy day I was :megusta: :fuckyeah: . Hooked on cars and tinkering with them ever since.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

4zilch wrote:I opened the door and climbed in.
I pulled a Dukes of Hazzard style entry on more than one occasion.
Apex

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:05 am
4zilch wrote:I opened the door and climbed in.
Mine attempts have been less than 5/7 at this... :lol:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:25 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:05 am
Mine attempts have been less than 5/7 at this... :lol:
:lol:

We used to attempted this all of the time in high school. I'm not sure it was ever successfully pulled off.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...