Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Why alltrack over GSW anyway? They should be giving those away, ain't nobody want a wagon.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

It is always cheaper to keep what you have. Period.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Or just drive the Mini more during the summer. It's not like keeping the miles low is helping the value much.

That's how I can do such low mileage leases. I drive the :poorvette: for nearly half of my annual miles.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

A WRX gets 30 highway and is fun af
Clubman all4
S4 used but that might not be that much "fun"

Recent CUVs don't really suck. CX3 and CX5 come in AWD but automatic I think. Good auto.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:A WRX gets 30 highway and is fun af
Clubman all4

Recent CUVs don't really suck. CX3 and CX5 come in AWD but automatic I think. Good auto.
I keep wondering if I could roll in a new WRX for pretty cheap compared to the 2 old beaters and reduce time spent on car shit for a few years - then get a Lotus or something that I actually want to keep forever when a real garage+shop is in the picture.

Still $33k for the performance package :doe: so :iono: if it would really work out that way. Probably $3k a year in depreciation for 5 years?
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:21 pm
Johnny_P wrote:A WRX gets 30 highway and is fun af
Clubman all4

I keep wondering if I could roll in a new WRX for pretty cheap compared to the 2 old beaters and reduce time spent on car shit for a few years - then get a Lotus or something that I actually want to keep forever when a real garage+shop is in the picture.

Still $33k for the performance package :doe: so :iono: if it would really work out that way. Probably $3k a year in depreciation for 5 years?
Yeah that's probably a reasonable expectation of actual depreciation. Which is low for new car but not zero.
WRX isn't really ideal for autocross though, it's not a good do-it-all in that respect. Also no hatch but you have the Mazda so maybe that doesn't matter much.
troyguitar

2018 WRX performance pack is actually an awesome car for its autox class, that's the other reason I have been sorta thinking about it. Wider wheels + no sunroof + recarbros = it's :mahtroy: spec.

Banking on low depreciation seems like it could backfire :doe:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:05 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:35 pm 2018 WRX performance pack is actually an awesome car for its autox class, that's the other reason I have been sorta thinking about it. Wider wheels + no sunroof + recarbros = it's :mahtroy: spec.

WRX PP is a sweet car. Possibly the swan song for the WRX as we know it.
:word:

WRX Premium
Base MSRP* $29,295
Destination & Delivery $860
TRANSMISSION CHANGE
Manual 6-speed $0
COLOR CHANGE
Exterior - Crystal White Pearl
Interior - Recaro® Black Ultrasuede®/Carbon Black Leather
PACKAGES CHANGE $2,050
SELECTED
Performance Package
Moonroof delete
Jurid® high performance front brake pads
Performance Package with Recaro® performance-design front seats
$2,050
ACCESSORIES CHANGE $1,317.99
STANDARD
Fog Light Kit $0.00
SELECTED
Auto-Dimming Mirror with Compass and HomeLink® $344.00
Kicker® Powered Subwoofer $499.99
Kicker® Speaker Upgrade $324.00
Kicker® Tweeter Kit $150.00
YOUR TOTAL $33,522

$35k w/ tax, if really lucky would sell for $20k in 5 years with 60-75k miles. Probably more like $15k. $300-ish per month actual capital cost. That's incredibly close to what I spend on the 2 current cars. Property tax would be an extra $300 or so per year, insurance would likely be another $500+/yr, fuel and tires are a little more. All-in I'd likely spend an extra $200/mo to :doit: and :aintcare: about working on street cars for 5 years.

Fuck, an STI probably costs the same. $43k w/ tax equipped the same, but even less depreciation. At that point the fuel mileage difference (and larger wheel diameter on STI = more expensive tires) might add up to negate the reduced depreciation?

:math:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:00 pm

:word:

WRX Premium
Base MSRP* $29,295
Destination & Delivery $860
TRANSMISSION CHANGE
Manual 6-speed $0
COLOR CHANGE
Exterior - Crystal White Pearl
Interior - Recaro® Black Ultrasuede®/Carbon Black Leather
PACKAGES CHANGE $2,050
SELECTED
Performance Package
Moonroof delete
Jurid® high performance front brake pads
Performance Package with Recaro® performance-design front seats
$2,050
ACCESSORIES CHANGE $1,317.99
STANDARD
Fog Light Kit $0.00
SELECTED
Auto-Dimming Mirror with Compass and HomeLink® $344.00
Kicker® Powered Subwoofer $499.99
Kicker® Speaker Upgrade $324.00
Kicker® Tweeter Kit $150.00
YOUR TOTAL $33,522

$35k w/ tax, if really lucky would sell for $20k in 5 years with 60-75k miles. Probably more like $15k. $300-ish per month actual capital cost. That's incredibly close to what I spend on the 2 current cars. Property tax would be an extra $300 or so per year, insurance would likely be another $500+/yr, fuel and tires are a little more. All-in I'd likely spend an extra $200/mo to :doit: and :aintcare: about working on street cars for 5 years.

Fuck, an STI probably costs the same. $43k w/ tax equipped the same, but even less depreciation. At that point the fuel mileage difference (and larger wheel diameter on STI = more expensive tires) might add up to negate the reduced depreciation?

:math:
WRX and STI aren't worth paper racing doe. They drive very differently. Different engines, transmissions, steering, gearing, brakes, handling characteristics, sounds, etc. Usually people strongly prefer one or the other.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

I bought my wrx for 23.9 and got 20k trade-in for it a bit shy of two years later.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:35 pm 2018 WRX performance pack is actually an awesome car for its autox class, that's the other reason I have been sorta thinking about it. Wider wheels + no sunroof + recarbros = it's :mahtroy: spec.

Yeah it's not bad. Get it, tune it, :dealwithit: The engines are proving to be decently well made and seem to handle tunes well. The stock tune has way too aggressive throttle mapping and a side benefit of more power with a tune is nice to have too.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I like the GSW personally. The lifted version is super cool for peeps driving through torn up road systems. Definitely wouldn't make any moves for a year, which is about the time that the remaining 2018s will be given away. By then job security would be secure, and from the sounds of things the choices/options will be improved. Plus teh houzz may need some landscaping, and the baby dick :truk: will be worth its weight in bitcoins.
Johnny_P

Calvinball wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:12 pm I bought my wrx for 23.9 and got 20k trade-in for it a bit shy of two years later.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:notbad:
I should have bought a WRX back in 2010 or whatever. I'd probably still have the thing.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:14 pm

Yeah it's not bad. Get it, tune it, :dealwithit: The engines are proving to be decently well made and seem to handle tunes well. The stock tune has way too aggressive throttle mapping and a side benefit of more power with a tune is nice to have too.
No t00nz, just summer wheels+tires and an alignment. Aggressive throttle is fine, lazy throttle and rev hang like the GTI had is what drives me nuts. Both of my cars have aggressive throttle responses already from the mechanical cables and light-ish stock single mass flywheels.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:28 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:14 pm

No t00nz, just summer wheels+tires and an alignment. Aggressive throttle is fine, lazy throttle and rev hang like the GTI had is what drives me nuts. Both of my cars have aggressive throttle responses already from the mechanical cables and light-ish stock single mass flywheels.
Just worth a drive to make sure you can :dealwithit: is all. The 2.0T in the WRX rev hangs. Another reason I preferred the old school EJ motor. But, tune and that's solved too.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:20 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:16 pm I like the GSW personally. The lifted version is super cool for peeps driving through torn up road systems. Definitely wouldn't make any moves for a year, which is about the time that the remaining 2018s will be given away. By then job security would be secure, and from the sounds of things the choices/options will be improved. Plus teh houzz may need some landscaping, and the baby dick :truk: will be worth its weight in bitcoins.
:dat:

I'd be at ~50k miles on the :truk: at that point too.
Keep truck for house shit then. And :plac: once you're happy with the house. :iono:
Then buy yourself a Miata like you want to.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:32 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Just worth a drive to make sure you can :dealwithit: is all. The 2.0T in the WRX rev hangs. Another reason I preferred the old school EJ motor. But, tune and that's solved too.
Yeah, who knows. The reason I got a GTI over a WRX and then an S4 over a WRX is because Subaru dealers wouldn't allow test drives. I've got more gray hair now :doe: and nobody wants sedans, so maybe that has eased up a bit?

I'd need to sit in the recarbros too and see if I even like the seats and seating position. Some say it's good, others say the seats don't get nearly low enough which is a big ole :nope: from me if so...
troyguitar

Also, if I tune the car then autox is out of the question unless you go :fullretard: on $15k in mods for the tuner class. Been there, done that with :poorvette: and will not do again.
troyguitar

Just got insurance quote for fun on 2018 WRX (not STI), it's not $500 extra per year, it's $1000.

Looks like a more realistic estimate is that it would cost ~$300/mo in depreciation+interest+maintenance vs the current ~$150, then an additional ~$1500 or so per year in extra recurring costs (insurance, taxes, tires, vape juice). $275-ish more per month than Vibe+MR2 all-in. It ain't that close after all, even with a low depreciation car.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

troyguitar wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:08 pm Just got insurance quote for fun on 2018 WRX (not STI), it's not $500 extra per year, it's $1000.

Looks like a more realistic estimate is that it would cost ~$300/mo in depreciation+interest+maintenance vs the current ~$150, then an additional ~$1500 or so per year in extra recurring costs (insurance, taxes, tires, vape juice). $275-ish more per month than Vibe+MR2 all-in. It ain't that close after all, even with a low depreciation car.
ouch.
ChrisoftheNorth

WRX's have insane insurance costs. It's a big reason why I've never had one.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:06 pm WRX's have insane insurance costs. It's a big reason why I've never had one.
It's an interesting idea but definitely costs too much extra money.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:08 pm Just got insurance quote for fun on 2018 WRX (not STI), it's not $500 extra per year, it's $1000.

Yeah high insurance rates are annoying on these.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:39 pm

Vape juice. :lolol:
The costs are real.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:38 pm

Yeah high insurance rates are annoying on these.
I mean it's still cheaper than other new cars (even those with lower MSRPs) due to low depreciation, but new cars simply are not cheap in any case.