Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Porsche appears to be serious about E - powered sporting machines - https://jalopnik.com/porsche-is-doublin ... 1822732190
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

https://jalopnik.com/here-are-the-used- ... 1822761248

EL OH EL... Looks like Jalopnik found their senses and wrote a normal article for once.
max225

Davestr wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:32 pm Porsche appears to be serious about E - powered sporting machines - https://jalopnik.com/porsche-is-doublin ... 1822732190
It is the future... I am still shocked (pun intended) that no OEMs brought out a Tesla competitor that makes sense... it has been 7 model years for that car! That's enough time to develop an all new platform etc... yet nothing will be here until 2020 at the earliest... it seems.
Davestr

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:34 pm
Davestr wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:32 pm Porsche appears to be serious about E - powered sporting machines - https://jalopnik.com/porsche-is-doublin ... 1822732190
It is the future... I am still shocked (pun intended) that no OEMs brought out a Tesla competitor that makes sense... it has been 7 model years for that car! That's enough time to develop an all new platform etc... yet nothing will be here until 2020 at the earliest... it seems.
Agree'd totally. Porsche and others have the power and cash to crush them like a grape, yet did ZERO...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Established companies are screwed because they have to make an actual profit on their cars...
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:47 pm

Established companies are screwed because they have to make an actual profit on their cars...
Well yes, but they still make useless halo cars constantly, I.E Ford GT and I am sure ford is still losing money on that thing.

Yet no car that could have tech that trickles down to the inferior POS models eventually that roam the streets. It is an investment in the future.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

It takes 5 years to develop a new car from the ground up. Add in new powertrains, and the time is even longer...especially for companies actually held to quality (build and durability) standards, unlike Tesla.

I'm sure when the Model S came out, most OEMs were :yeahok: :notsure:

Then sales were proven, and it's been a bit of a :triggered:

The challenge is how to make money doing it. Tesla hasn't figured it out. GM is starting to. Nissan is probably really close too. But many other companies are pretty far behind. The Ford GT is a great example. Neat car, but loses the company money and has zero opportunity for trickle down benefits. That thing is the most :fuckyeah: :butwhy: ever.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:08 pm It takes 5 years to develop a new car from the ground up. Add in new powertrains, and the time is even longer...especially for companies actually held to quality (build and durability) standards, unlike Tesla.

The challenge is how to make money doing it. Tesla hasn't figured it out. GM is starting to. Nissan is probably really close too. But many other companies are pretty far behind. The Ford GT is a great example. Neat car, but loses the company money and has zero opportunity for trickle down benefits. That thing is the most :fuckyeah: :butwhy: ever.
Except model S is somewhat the future, and ford GT is just an awesome car that no one will reap the benefits off, since we're all going to be in lame ass pods soon.

I just wish Tesla got more competition from the OEMs, money be damned, this type of transport is the future, you have to invest, and yet it won't make money at first... But look at the billions spent on Lyft and other partnershits... :troywax:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:08 pm It takes 5 years to develop a new car from the ground up. Add in new powertrains, and the time is even longer...especially for companies actually held to quality (build and durability) standards, unlike Tesla.

Except model S is somewhat the future, and ford GT is just an awesome car that no one will reap the benefits off, since we're all going to be in lame ass pods soon.

I just wish Tesla got more competition from the OEMs, money be damned, this type of transport is the future, you have to invest, and yet it won't make money at first... But look at the billions spent on Lyft and other partnershits... :troywax:
The competition is coming...hard and fast. It just takes time to develop these things, especially starting so late.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:27 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:12 pm

The competition is coming...hard and fast. It just takes time to develop these things, especially starting so late.
Are you guys going to bring out anything better than the Bolt anytime soon? It makes for a decent pod but nothing more. A nice higher end Caddy would be interesting, especially if it is competitive to tesla, it could bring that brand back a bit from the dark ages and back to Class leading tech as they were for 50 years.
troyguitar

Davestr wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:37 pm

Agree'd totally. Porsche and others have the power and cash to crush them like a grape, yet did ZERO...
Doesn't Porsche have a Model S and/or RX8 competitor available for pre-orders now?

ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:27 pm
Are you guys going to bring out anything better than the Bolt anytime soon? It makes for a decent pod but nothing more. A nice higher end Caddy would be interesting, especially if it is competitive to tesla, it could bring that brand back a bit from the dark ages and back to Class leading tech as they were for 50 years.
:bruh: You know I can't say anything.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:36 pm
Davestr wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:37 pm

Doesn't Porsche have a Model S and/or RX8 competitor available for pre-orders now?

They have been talking about this thing for 2+ years ... hopefully they deliver
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:40 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:30 pm

I got grambled :(

Can you at least tell us that it is better than a Honda ?!
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

In other electric vehicle news.... Elon Musk is blasting his personal Tesla Roadster into space today.

:popcorn:

:lolol: this guy is insane. Wonder if it'll blow up on the pad.
troyguitar

I think this song is about Elon:

ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:40 pm

Honda?

I can say that our CEO has been very public about the future of electrification. There's a full array on the way in the next 3-5 years, which is absolutely a step in the right direction.

The Bolt is a step in the learning curve. How to build long(er) range vehicles profitably, at scale, and brought to market quickly (comparatively).
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote:In other electric vehicle news.... Elon Musk is blasting his personal Tesla Roadster into space today.

Imageol: this guy is insane. Wonder if it'll blow up on the pad.
Great use of investor funds! :fuckyeah:
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:54 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:41 pm

Honda?

I can say that our CEO has been very public about the future of electrification. There's a full array on the way in the next 3-5 years, which is absolutely a step in the right direction.

The Bolt is a step in the learning curve. How to build long(er) range vehicles profitably, at scale, and brought to market quickly (comparatively).
It was a grambles cheap shot
Davestr

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:30 pm
Davestr wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:27 pm FK turbo's - https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-porsche-9 ... 1822759102

The 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 RS Now Gets 520 HP From Its Naturally Aspirated Flat Six
Is porsche going to replace the entire engine in this thing too, 2 months after the release?

:trollface:
:D :lol: :)
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:55 pm
Johnny_P wrote:In other electric vehicle news.... Elon Musk is blasting his personal Tesla Roadster into space today.

Imageol: this guy is insane. Wonder if it'll blow up on the pad.
Great use of investor funds! :fuckyeah:
Test firing his Falcon Heavy configuration with a payload. So actually, yes, it is. And if it's successful he'll have an assload of contracts lined up immediately because nothing currently has the lifting capacity of this thing.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:55 pm Great use of investor funds! :fuckyeah:
Test firing his Falcon Heavy configuration with a payload. So actually, yes, it is. And if it's successful he'll have an assload of contracts lined up immediately because nothing currently has the lifting capacity of this thing.
:sass: :idbu: but glad you're excited about it bruh
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
:sass: :idbu: but glad you're excited about it bruh
Just more of my unsupported shit opinions that nobody gives a damn about on this forum, that's all.

Launch was successful. The roadster is in space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:17 pm :sass: :idbu: but glad you're excited about it bruh
Just more of my unsupported shit opinions that nobody gives a damn about on this forum, that's all.

Amaze. Now what? Drive the thing on Mars in 17yrs?
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:06 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:17 pm :sass: :idbu: but glad you're excited about it bruh

I got goosebumps watching that... SpaceX is nuts... both as a company and in what they accomplished so glad this is happening with the best and brightest here in the US of A and not CHINA. Hate Ellon all you want Ima continue fanboiing, a life well lived.