Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Just looked it up - basic rebuild on an RX8 engine in decent shape really is about $1k in OEM parts using current prices... or a full brand new OEM Mazda engine is $3k+shipping, $4-5k all-in installed by a shop for an entirely new engine with an OEM warranty. Way cheaper than IMS Porsche stuff.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:33 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:28 pm

That’s cheap ! 1/4 of the cost of an engine out service on a p car
:dat:

Or about the same as doing head gaskets on a Subaru. It's really not a big deal as long as you're proactive about it. Nowhere near as complicated as a rebuild on a piston engine.
Yep relatively simple process. The rotary has far fewer moving parts.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:30 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:48 pm

The 2015? That's an incredible vehicle that's perfectly optioned. I really wonder about the trans though, if the PDK is the better pick. Obvi for resale the 7MT is the way to go but is it the best? My experience with Pcar manual boxes is they kind of suck.
Er yeah, 2015.

It's fantastic. I think the non-S with the :manuel: is great.
I’d love a 997.2 or a 991. Epic cars. If I lived in a downtown condo with parking I’d get one.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:53 am Euro Doors add obscene scene points. Covering a cup holder is immensely necessary and useful. This way you can leave your fav vape in the car while you’re out delivering pizzas and no one will see it, and break into your car to steal it!
I never understood the Euro cup holder conversion mod.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

wap wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:06 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:53 am Euro Doors add obscene scene points. Covering a cup holder is immensely necessary and useful. This way you can leave your fav vape in the car while you’re out delivering pizzas and no one will see it, and break into your car to steal it!
that is just waste of money and time imo, but i do like the fact that euro golf's come with a can opener.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:55 pm

that is just waste of money and time imo, but i do like the fact that euro golf's come with a can opener.
:wat: enlighten the mullet car crowd.
wap

Bottle opener, but yea, that was pretty cool, in a :wtf: sort of way.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

wap wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:37 pm

Did someone say bottle opener? :mahtroy: :drunk: :plaid: :stig:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I want the euro silver mirror caps for my Golf. They remind me of B8 S4s, so nostalgia I guess. Need to find cheap used ones, cause ain't nobody got time for dealer pricing. It's too low priority to pursue doe so it likely won't happen.

:gay:
razr390

Tarspin wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:52 pm I want the euro silver mirror caps for my Golf. They remind me of B8 S4s, so nostalgia I guess. Need to find cheap used ones, cause ain't nobody got time for dealer pricing. It's too low priority to pursue doe so it likely won't happen.

I will ask my friend who has done them on his GTI. Follow @adamsheikh on instagram if you want to see his OEM+ Mk7 GTI. He just installed E-Codes (headlights without the amber reflector).

5/7
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar

Tarspin wrote:I want the euro silver mirror caps for my Golf. They remind me of B8 S4s, so nostalgia I guess. Need to find cheap used ones, cause ain't nobody got time for dealer pricing. It's too low priority to pursue doe so it likely won't happen.

Plastidip
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote:
Tarspin wrote:I want the euro silver mirror caps for my Golf. They remind me of B8 S4s, so nostalgia I guess. Need to find cheap used ones, cause ain't nobody got time for dealer pricing. It's too low priority to pursue doe so it likely won't happen.

Plastidip
True, or a wrap. That shizz usually comes out to $50 or less which I would be willing to pay. :like:

I can eat my :fruit: cake and have it too
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:52 pm I want the euro silver mirror caps for my Golf. They remind me of B8 S4s, so nostalgia I guess. Need to find cheap used ones, cause ain't nobody got time for dealer pricing. It's too low priority to pursue doe so it likely won't happen.

I will ask my friend who has done them on his GTI. Follow @adamsheikh on instagram if you want to see his OEM+ Mk7 GTI. He just installed E-Codes (headlights without the amber reflector).

5/7
There's 75 Adam Sheiks on Instagram, but I found your buddy up top and saw his caps. Man people pay up for that eh? I may just scrooge since I will limit my car spending to the C6 this year. Maybe some better seats dog.
razr390

Tarspin wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:03 am
razr390 wrote:

5/7
There's 75 Adam Sheiks on Instagram, but I found your buddy up top and saw his caps. Man people pay up for that eh? I may just scrooge since I will limit my car spending to the C6 this year. Maybe some better seats dog.
No shame in makin' the DD a bit nicer, but yeah, if I were going to :wasteful: on anything, let it be the garage :stig: mobile. R is plenty capable and better off untouched, imo.
troyguitar

Tarspin wrote:
troyguitar wrote:Plastidip
True, or a wrap. That shizz usually comes out to $50 or less which I would be willing to pay. :like:

For something that small it should be cheap and simple.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote:
Tarspin wrote:True, or a wrap. That shizz usually comes out to $50 or less which I would be willing to pay. :like:

For something that small it should be cheap and simple.
:like:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

razr390 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:50 pm
wap wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:37 pm

Did someone say bottle opener? :mahtroy: :drunk: :plaid: :stig:
how are you gonna open those san pellegrinos then :lol:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
troyguitar

We had our local autox banquet last night, was fun plus I sold off some parts that had been taking up a bunch of space in the garage.

My best guess right now is that cars+parts bought in 2018 will be identical in dollars to cars+parts sold in 2018, so net car expenses will only be gas+insurance+taxes and autox entry fees. Dat :plac: :math:
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-tear ... 1822678045 - Tesla Model 3 Teardown By Engineering Firm Reveals Quality Flaws Like 'A Kia In The '90s'
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:41 pm I guess I really only drove it for about 4 months, but yeah it was about 10k miles. I kept waiting for the light bulb to come on and make me like the convertible, but it never happened. The only time it's really nice is if you're driving at slow city speeds on a warm-ish night. In the sun, the heat, the cold, or at 50+ mph it's just annoying.
:dat: I don't get it either.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I've never wanted a convertible.

But I can say that the targa I enjoy...but only because there's zero compromises of a convertible, and I only drive with it off when I'm not driving on the highway.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

:plaid: :plaid: :plaid:
:plaid: :stig: :plaid:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:36 pm

:plaid: :stig: :plaid:
:fuckyeah: :impressive: driving.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

FK turbo's - https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-porsche-9 ... 1822759102

The 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 RS Now Gets 520 HP From Its Naturally Aspirated Flat Six
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Davestr wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:27 pm FK turbo's - https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-porsche-9 ... 1822759102

The 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 RS Now Gets 520 HP From Its Naturally Aspirated Flat Six
Is porsche going to replace the entire engine in this thing too, 2 months after the release?

:trollface: