Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:04 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:26 pm Girl that works for me has a 6 mo old Subaru Crosstrek. She was pretty excited when she traded in her 04 Civic for it. Anyway she is in need of an oil change so she gets it done at a mom and pop shop down the street from work.

Drives on her road trip. NBD. After a week or whatever she's driving on the PA turnpike and her car jerks and the CVT revs out and warning lights turn on and there's smoke. Turns out her drain plug is non existent. The dopes at the mom and pop didn't install it right and it had been leaking and while on the highway it blew off leaving her engine completely drained of oil.

It was towed to Subaru dealer. They said needs a new motor to the tune of $9k. Hoooooly shit right it's a brand new damn car!

She calls the mom and pop shop. Dude is super apologetic and goes to the Subaru dealer to check it out. Says he'd replace the engine on his own or have this other dealer do the work. So my employee says take it to the other dealer so I have a warranty. Smart move. Some phone calls are made to the dealerships and arrangements are made. Guy gets a tow truck and off it goes.

After a few hours she gets curious and calls the other dealer asking if it came in. Nope. Turns out the dude towed it back to the mom and pop and according to her they were working on it or some shit.

:wtf: :popcorn:

Stay tuned for updates.
:popcorn:

I gots a story too... AZN middle aged lady got hired at work... she was in two crashes in less than 12 months here... yesterday she was in a 5 car pileup... ended up in the hospital... deets are missing also...
ppl should not be allowed to drive. How the FK do you get into a pileup...
Pile-ups happen here to. It can be either someone else's fault or she probably braked right out of the blue that instigated it.

I have almost been in accidents due to asians, that's one of the reasons i like driving in Turkey better, because you could tell this driver can cut off, pull out, etc. before it actually happens, so I can prepare myself to it just in case.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:30 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:25 am

Makes sense. The viscous LSD sucks (well, its 6" ring gear) though, can you run the torsen on a 1.6 and stay STS legal?

The 1.6 does rev out better buy my god its got NO balls. source: owned both.
Nope, STS is open 1.6, open 1.8, or viscous 1.6 only.

STR is any 94+ miata with any diff, factory or aftermarket... so you're against ND's with custom tuned $3k OS Giken diffs making near 200 whp at the same weight as you with a stiffer chassis.

I need to look at the gearing of the 1.6 cars. My friend's 1.8 feels quick but I assume it's because of the 6 speed, top of 2nd gear is like 52.X MPH.

Did you ever run a tuned 1.6? The STS-legal dyno sheets I've seen show 110-120 whp which shouldn't be that bad at 21xx lbs.
The 1.6 I had came with a racing beat header, catback, and an intake. I am not sure if it was tuned, but I'd bet it was not.
It was better up top than other 1.6's I'd driven, but at the expense of low and some mid range torques.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:48 am
4zilch wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:52 am

:notsure: this matters in terms of future warranty.

If the mom and pop use genuine Subaru parts and can provide said documentation, the parts (engine) installed assume whatever warranty is left on the vehicle.

Obviously Subaru won't protect against M&P workmanship, so if they screw something up, it's between the vehicle owner and them. Though to-be-fair, Subaru wouldn't warranty :dillerman: workmanship either.....

Insurance would be worth a call. Has anyone made the call to the M&P to ask :wtf: ?
I have no more deets so :iono: but she's been talking to M&P the whole time.
Engine warranty is 5/60 on a new Subaru. I'd think the only way they would warranty the work is if it's replaced with genuine Subaru parts at a Subaru facility. Subaru wouldn't be responsible for it if a junkyard engine is used and like you said wouldn't warranty anything M&P touches from a workmanship standpoint.

Subaru would absolutely warranty :dillerman: workmanship. See: VW's needing multiple water pumps all replaced under the powertrain warranty. If the replacement part fails they replace it again all under the same warranty.

If it were me, I'd have told M&P to pay the bill at :dillerman: #1 or fuck off and we'll see you in court. And I'd probably do so through insurance if he stuck me with the bill.
By "workmanship" I meant the tech screwed up...ie leaving the drain plug lose, or leaving a WP bolt lose.. Subaru warranty wouldn't apply ecause it was a technician error..even if done at Subaru dealer. This assumes Subaru warranty doesn't expressly cover tech. workmanship..There aren't many warranties that do.

Magnuson-Moss Act and right-to-repair laws actually protects the consumer from warranty denial due to repairs being made elsewhere, including DIY. Assuming parts used are genuine new or reman Subaru parts.

Most people, and dealers aren't aware of these regulations/laws.

In this situation, it would by preference to have the Subaru dealer do the work to ensure new/genuine parts are used and proper, published service procedures are followed and proper repairs are made. Doing so would reduce the likely-hood of having debate over warranty should the need arise, however, having the M&P do the work doesn't necessarily mean she won't have warranty on the engine going forward.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:36 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:30 am

Nope, STS is open 1.6, open 1.8, or viscous 1.6 only.

STR is any 94+ miata with any diff, factory or aftermarket... so you're against ND's with custom tuned $3k OS Giken diffs making near 200 whp at the same weight as you with a stiffer chassis.

I need to look at the gearing of the 1.6 cars. My friend's 1.8 feels quick but I assume it's because of the 6 speed, top of 2nd gear is like 52.X MPH.

Did you ever run a tuned 1.6? The STS-legal dyno sheets I've seen show 110-120 whp which shouldn't be that bad at 21xx lbs.
The 1.6 I had came with a racing beat header, catback, and an intake. I am not sure if it was tuned, but I'd bet it was not.
It was better up top than other 1.6's I'd driven, but at the expense of low and some mid range torques.
:word:

The megasquirt dudes seem to be getting quite a bit of power (at least relatively), hopefully that would be "enough" to be decent.

According to the interwebs, the 1.6 5-speed+vLSD rear end would be good for 59.8 MPH in 2nd so a little over 10% longer than the NB 6-speed I'm used to... but that one ends up riding the rev limiter on most courses, so the 5-speed is probably preferable anyway.

The other question is whether I'd ever be able to compete while taking a 100-ish lb weight penalty from the hardtop+AC+cruise+ABS. Wouldn't be so bad on a 3000 lb 300 hp car, but on a 2000 lb 140 hp car? :iono:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:53 am
razr390 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:23 am "Mom & pop/Indy shops are sooooo much better than :dillerman: "

:rolleyes: :gag: :yeahok:
I generally stay away from any repair shop inside the city. I vastly prefer :dillerman: because they know the specific car much better. IIRC the MK6's had issues with the dain plug cross threading necessitating oil pan replacement if you buggered it up. I'm 98% sure something like that would happen at a M&P because they wouldn't know any better but probably only a 15% chance happening at :dillerman: because their work instructions would mention something about it to the mechanic.
I have an extended warranty that has already approved and financed $3-4,000 worth of fixes (including all wear and tear shit) and they would totally not be cool with me doing my maintenance at a mom & pop place.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:52 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:36 am

The megasquirt dudes seem to be getting quite a bit of power (at least relatively), hopefully that would be "enough" to be decent.

According to the interwebs, the 1.6 5-speed+vLSD rear end would be good for 59.8 MPH in 2nd so a little over 10% longer than the NB 6-speed I'm used to... but that one ends up riding the rev limiter on most courses, so the 5-speed is probably preferable anyway.

The other question is whether I'd ever be able to compete while taking a 100-ish lb weight penalty from the hardtop+AC+cruise+ABS. Wouldn't be so bad on a 3000 lb 300 hp car, but on a 2000 lb 140 hp car? :iono:
Well, the hardtop IS removable. Cruise is insignificant weight. The AC will hurt a little, but to hell with not having AC. The ABS might actually help. Also, not that heavy.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:07 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:02 am

Well, the hardtop IS removable. Cruise is insignificant weight. The AC will hurt a little, but to hell with not having AC. The ABS might actually help. Also, not that heavy.
You have to remember... this is Kart McTroy Vader you're talking to.
:dat:
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:52 am :word:

Yeah the hardtop is 45 lbs and AC is 35 on the damn nose. I definitely want all of that stuff :doe:

I guess if I got close enough to care then I could pull the hardtop at national events.

I'm just exploring :plac: alternatives, dunno what I want really. The NA/NB hardtop has amazing rear visibility though so I really like it compared to almost every other coupe. It's the anti-camero.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:20 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Yeah the hardtop is 45 lbs and AC is 35 on the damn nose. I definitely want all of that stuff :doe:

I guess if I got close enough to care then I could pull the hardtop at national events.

I'm just exploring :plac: alternatives, dunno what I want really. The NA/NB hardtop has amazing rear visibility though so I really like it compared to almost every other coupe. It's the anti-camero.
dude the hardtop come off in like 2 minutes.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Big Brain Bradley wrote:

and getting rid of that weight up high on the car WILL make a difference.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:22 am

:dat: it's clip on, right? Just need a friend to help with it.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:28 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:22 am

yes. super easy.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Didn't :mahtroy: already buy poorsche wheels?
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:31 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote:

holy. shit.

Yes. call insurance and see if they can do anything. Next call lawyer. Slap them with cease and desist. Go straight to sueing.

Guy is clearly trying to do some fuckery if hes already broken his word once.
That and fuckery is the perfect word for it.
Fuckery is the perfect fkn word for it. Its unfuckering believeable that those M&P are so fucking full of fuckery. By no means is this situation fan-fucking-tastic given the absurd level of fuckery being employed by such fkd up people. This fucking takes fuckery to an entirely new fking level. FK!!!!!
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:29 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:28 am
yes. super easy.

Didn't realize they were that simple. I guess if you get one that doesn't have nice paint and are OK with throwing it on the ground NFG at autox then that works.
troyguitar

Apex wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:38 am Didn't :mahtroy: already buy poorsche wheels?
I did but they were cheap enough that I can flip them for a profit or, at worst, no loss.

I'm just trying to think through other options, the old German car thing is making me a bit :notsure: since the sellers all seem to want way more than they're worth and most are olds who can't be bothered to tell you anything about the damn car. Hell the semi-local guy hasn't bothered to call me back after 3 days now. I'm losing my enthusiasm quickly and beginning to think more about :fax: than feelings.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:16 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:38 am Didn't :mahtroy: already buy poorsche wheels?
I did but they were cheap enough that I can flip them for a profit or, at worst, no loss.

I'm just trying to think through other options, the old German car thing is making me a bit :notsure: since the sellers all seem to want way more than they're worth and most are olds who can't be bothered to tell you anything about the damn car. Hell the semi-local guy hasn't bothered to call me back after 3 days now. I'm losing my enthusiasm quickly and beginning to think more about :fax: than feelings.
Johnny_P

Man it would be a lot of fun to buy a decent G35 coupe and slap a Vortech supercharger on it. 450 WHP should be pretty do-able with the SC, an exhaust, and clutch. You'd probably be all in for about 12k and have a :mindblown: :plaid: car in the end.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:08 am Man it would be a lot of fun to buy a decent G35 coupe and slap a Vortech supercharger on it. 450 WHP should be pretty do-able with the SC, an exhaust, and clutch. You'd probably be all in for about 12k and have a :mindblown: :plaid: car in the end.
Classier than a brubstick'd and geared :poorvette: ?
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:12 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:08 am Man it would be a lot of fun to buy a decent G35 coupe and slap a Vortech supercharger on it. 450 WHP should be pretty do-able with the SC, an exhaust, and clutch. You'd probably be all in for about 12k and have a :mindblown: :plaid: car in the end.
Classier than a brubstick'd and geared :poorvette: ?
Just more of a sleeper. A stock G35 puts down like 220 WHP and will get beat by a 328i off the line.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

220 wheel ? :wat:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

They are around 250 iirc still :jalapenis: but yea
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Or just :dedong: and supercharge a :poorvette:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:27 pm They are around 250 iirc still :jalapenis: but yea
Probably more than my car :lolol:
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Why not start with a g37 in this hypothetical?

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist: