Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:01 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:59 pm

Yeah you get the 7 speed DCT as well but now you're stuck paying for the adjustable dampers, which I don't care about and view as an expensive failure prone gadget. I guess that's what the warranty is for.
I need to drive this and the RS3. The simple fact is that I'm not using the :poorvette: enough and both of the others would be way funner to drive around town.
:disgust:
Concede the :gay: / :knot:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:54 pm

:dat:

Of course I bought mine a year too early. I bought the 6 year b2b warranty as an add on.

I still prefer the looks of the pre-refresh GoRf doe.
Yeah you get the 7 speed DCT as well but now you're stuck paying for the adjustable dampers, which I don't care about and view as an expensive failure prone gadget. I guess that's what the warranty is for.
I need to drive this and the RS3. The simple fact is that I'm not using the :poorvette: enough and both of the others would be way funner to drive around town.
Who here has kept a car for more than 6 years or 72k miles lately? I know I haven't :gaydance:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:59 pm Yeah you get the 7 speed DCT as well but now you're stuck paying for the adjustable dampers, which I don't care about and view as an expensive failure prone gadget. I guess that's what the warranty is for.
Who here has kept a car for more than 6 years or 72k miles lately? I know I haven't :gaydance:
The Feds took mine away from me. :sad:

:yeahok:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:06 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:01 pm

:disgust:
You can spend $50-60k on something better than an automatic FWD-econobox-based egg :doe:

2 words: Aston Martin
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:11 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:06 pm

You can spend $50-60k on something better than an automatic FWD-econobox-based egg :doe:

Corvette GS: Simple/Reliable
VW/Audi: Neither but under warranty
Aston Martin: Neither and not only not under warranty but (I'm guessing) absurdly expensive to repair and maintain. The cars are cool AF, but dood. I'm not cool enough for that.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:15 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:11 pm

Corvette GS: Simple/Reliable
VW/Audi: Neither but under warranty
Aston Martin: Neither and not only not under warranty but (I'm guessing) absurdly expensive to repair and maintain. The cars are cool AF, but dood. I'm not cool enough for that.
:sass:

Guessing indeed.

If you want to be safe though, then put the $500+ per month you'd blow on depreciation on the German car toward maintenance on the Bond car. Same cost, better car... or, as stated in Max's thread, buy a new/CPO Porsche and again spend less than on a new VW/Audi due to lack of depreciation.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:04 pm
Gberg2119 wrote:

Of course I bought mine a year too early. I bought the 6 year b2b warranty as an add on.

:Hai: @gberg, are the 7.5s more expensive then yours or nah? Ours went up in price so the warranty is moot point.
I think the price is about the same. Only option is DSG.
max225

I love the fact that the Aston key is really a VULVA KEY with an Aston logo TAPED ON TOP OF IT.
troyguitar

:jizz: white M3 with :manuel: and bro exhaust and carbon roof and extended warranty for the price of an Egg R.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... elCode1=M3
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:30 pm :jizz: white M3 with :manuel: and bro exhaust and carbon roof and extended warranty for the price of an Egg R.

That's nearly as much as a F30 M3

https://www.carmax.com/car/15432523
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:35 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:30 pm :jizz: white M3 with :manuel: and bro exhaust and carbon roof and extended warranty for the price of an Egg R.

That's nearly as much as a F30 M3

https://www.carmax.com/car/15432523
:whocares:

V8 :manuel: >> I6 auto
max225

Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:30 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:56 pm 2018 GoRf C&D review.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/20 ... del-review

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Man that thing is tempting with a 6/72 warranty.
Computer dashboard
Computer shocks
Computer driving aid
Computer headlights
Computer AWD
$1500 alignments

You're gonna need that warranty

Other thoughts:
I don't like the new rams. I do like the new DCT and headlights.
Why TF does it have 14 way power seat but no seat memory? That would infuriate me with such an adjustable seat.
Electronic ebrake, which all cars should have at this point, is nice as it frees up a lot of space in the center console.

Pretty killer car. The warranty makes it attractive for sure. I like the DCT option as well. But I'd have to ask myself.... this or a stripper Audi A5? Different cars, sure, but same price point or possibly less for the Audi. And yes I realize the A5 is a half second slower, larger car, with less overall performance than this.
Johnny_P

MT to MT though there isn't a world of difference honestly. Updated infotainment thing and digidash if you care about that stuff. I prefer actual gauges but I'm :wap: when it comes to that. I don't want to be staring at a too-bright screen with horrible backlight bleed at night. And I actually really prefer my cherry blossom red gauge cluster :wub:
Johnny_P

I love the Audi RS line. I'd go with that for the engine alone. A lot more money though.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:39 pm

Computer dashboard
Computer shocks
Computer driving aid
Computer headlights
Computer AWD
$1500 alignments

Other thoughts:
Why TF does it have 14 way power seat but no seat memory? That would infuriate me with such an adjustable seat.
Electronic ebrake, which all cars should have at this point, is nice as it frees up a lot of space in the center console.

Pretty killer car. The warranty makes it attractive for sure. I like the DCT option as well. But I'd have to ask myself.... this or a stripper Audi A5? Different cars, sure, but same price point or possibly less for the Audi. And yes I realize the A5 is a half second slower, larger car, with less overall performance than this.
The digital dash is 100% a deal-breaker for me. My absolute favorite thing about my :turboyaris: was the gauges. The big double dials, the depth of the bezels, it was really nice to look at every time I got in the car. Replacing that with a massive screen takes away the best visual cue about the Golf. The big iPad dash in the Tesla, the digital cluster in all the new Audis and top line VWs, just :disgust: :nope:.

I still think the Golf R is terrible value proposition too. Get a gently used GTI Sport with <10k miles for right at or very close to $20k. 2017 Golf R with the same miles will cost you $38k. I'd take my saved $18k and put it toward an actual sports car.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:47 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:39 pm

Computer dashboard
Computer shocks
Computer driving aid
Computer headlights
Computer AWD
$1500 alignments

Other thoughts:

The digital dash is 100% a deal-breaker for me. My absolute favorite thing about my :turboyaris: was the gauges. The big double dials, the depth of the bezels, it was really nice to look at every time I got in the car. Replacing that with a massive screen takes away the best visual cue about the Golf. The big iPad dash in the Tesla, the digital cluster in all the new Audis and top line VWs, just :disgust: :nope:.

I still think the Golf R is terrible value proposition too. Get a gently used GTI Sport with <10k miles for right at or very close to $20k. 2017 Golf R with the same miles will cost you $38k. I'd take my saved $18k and put it toward an actual sports car.
I'd agree with you, but, I just can't do high power FWD again. I'd take the AWD car every time, if I had the means. GTI Sport is a bargain for what it is though.

MK6 gauges were nice for sure. The world moves on though. They look kind of dated now. I actually think the MK5 gauge cluster was cooler. MK7 took the nice appearance of the 6 and improved upon it with a color screen. IMO that's all it needed to stay current. I'm not on the digidash :dong: yet.

I can't imagine looking at that every night. That screen is worse than my 5 year old work laptop as far as backlight bleeding goes.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

That's badass. The competition package ramz are :jimp:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:42 pm

MT to MT though there isn't a world of difference honestly. Updated infotainment thing and digidash if you care about that stuff. I prefer actual gauges but I'm :wap: when it comes to that. I don't want to be staring at a too-bright screen with horrible backlight bleed at night. And I actually really prefer my cherry blossom red gauge cluster :wub:
My amber gauges at night are 5/7. So easy on the eyes.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:57 pm I'd agree with you, but, I just can't do high power FWD again. I'd take the AWD car every time, if I had the means. GTI Sport is a bargain for what it is though.

MK6 gauges were nice for sure. The world moves on though. They look kind of dated now. I actually think the MK5 gauge cluster was cooler. MK7 took the nice appearance of the 6 and improved upon it with a color screen. IMO that's all it needed to stay current. I'm not on the digidash :dong: yet.

I can't imagine looking at that every night. That screen is worse than my 5 year old work laptop as far as backlight bleeding goes.
My eyes hurt just from looking at that on my computer screen.

re: FWD thing - high-powered? No. I wouldn't either, I wouldn't buy a MK7 GTI and throw an IS38 on it and try to make 360 wheel. But I'd definitely drive a stock one. I've driven a few now, and that car does a perfectly fine job dealing with the power it comes with. The VAQ differential makes a huge difference. It'd be tempting to throw a downpipe and a tune on the thing and go make 300+ wheel, but I wouldn't. AWE track exhaust for the burbles and some summer tarz, I'd be done.

In fact, that's the plan. I bailed on buying one at year-end because the salesbro was such a douche I flat-out told him I would have bought the car, but wouldn't because of how bad my experience was at the dealership. Tried to go through the place where I bought my Subie, but the other dealer had marked it sold and wouldn't release it to them.

Fuck it. I'll wait for a used gently used one to pop up and come out ahead in the end anyway.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:09 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:57 pm I'd agree with you, but, I just can't do high power FWD again. I'd take the AWD car every time, if I had the means. GTI Sport is a bargain for what it is though.

My eyes hurt just from looking at that on my computer screen.

re: FWD thing - high-powered? No. I wouldn't either, I wouldn't buy a MK7 GTI and throw an IS38 on it and try to make 360 wheel. But I'd definitely drive a stock one. I've driven a few now, and that car does a perfectly fine job dealing with the power it comes with. The VAQ differential makes a huge difference. It'd be tempting to throw a downpipe and a tune on the thing and go make 300+ wheel, but I wouldn't. AWE track exhaust for the burbles and some summer tarz, I'd be done.

In fact, that's the plan. I bailed on buying one at year-end because the salesbro was such a douche I flat-out told him I would have bought the car, but wouldn't because of how bad my experience was at the dealership. Tried to go through the place where I bought my Subie, but the other dealer had marked it sold and wouldn't release it to them.

Fuck it. I'll wait for a used gently used one to pop up and come out ahead in the end anyway.
Not everyone can be a farmer, I understand.

:sad:

It's a shame I had such a disgusting VW experience. The GTI is still a really attractive all around package. If the magic diff makes that much of a difference it could be acceptable I guess. I dunno I just hated how my MK6 would scramble for traction and wheel hop with the engine seeming hitting the firewall. Lisa's Tiguan is the exact same way and totally disgusting when you want to drive it quickly from a stop.

Find a 1-2 year old used one and go for it though, dude. Privately sell your Subaru too for maximum $ retention if that's possible on a lease.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:16 pm Not everyone can be a farmer, I understand.

It's a shame I had such a disgusting VW experience. The GTI is still a really attractive all around package. If the magic diff makes that much of a difference it could be acceptable I guess. I dunno I just hated how my MK6 would scramble for traction and wheel hop with the engine seeming hitting the firewall. Lisa's Tiguan is the exact same way and totally disgusting when you want to drive it quickly from a stop.

Find a 1-2 year old used one and go for it though, dude. Privately sell your Subaru too for maximum $ retention if that's possible on a lease.
There's a lot to love about the STi, but long term I just know it isn't the car for me. Plus, my wife and I are in a position now where, if we play our cards right, we'll be able to do the 3 car thing before too long, but keeping the STi would undoubtedly stand in the way of that happening. Between insurance and gas costs, the extra cost of buying it outright vs something closer to the $20k mark, I think I'm better served having a more comfortable daily and then setting aside some cash for something else fun. Not sure exactly what that'll be just yet, but eh. Figuring that out will be part of the fun.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:59 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:16 pm Not everyone can be a farmer, I understand.

There's a lot to love about the STi, but long term I just know it isn't the car for me. Plus, my wife and I are in a position now where, if we play our cards right, we'll be able to do the 3 car thing before too long, but keeping the STi would undoubtedly stand in the way of that happening. Between insurance and gas costs, the extra cost of buying it outright vs something closer to the $20k mark, I think I'm better served having a more comfortable daily and then setting aside some cash for something else fun. Not sure exactly what that'll be just yet, but eh. Figuring that out will be part of the fun.
Word if I had the ability to have multiple cars I wouldn't have bought the STI. It's a do it all compromise but ultimately not as fun as a proper sports coupe like a Cayman or 911 or who knows what.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Calling all :scrooge:. $199 a month for a new Si.

https://blog.caranddriver.com/199-lease ... uary-2018/
max225

Impreza at $185 a month with 0 down is epic...