Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

[user not found] wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:29 am
Davestr wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:08 am

Like Ford and its trucks with doors that open as you drive LOL!!! :)

You make a good point above though!^^
Porsche IMS failures come to mind, honestly.
+1 no maker is immune.
Davestr

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:49 am
4zilch wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:35 am

Door latch issue effects the car side too. My FiST is on the list :sad:
Feature.

Air braking.

This is next gen tech that all the manufacturers will be copying soon.
LOL!!! This^^ ----who needs a large deployable wing like a Veyron....Doors work wonderfully. Cheaper too! :)
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Toyota frames.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I think I've decided to say screw spending any more money on the Vibe, gonna keep driving it as-is for awhile (through this winter at a minimum) and eventually sell it in favor of something that's got better ergonomics and doesn't already have 150k farts on it. Likely a Scion iA or FRS, maybe an RX8 or E36/46 depending on how :fullretard: I feel like going. :plac:

iA is the smart choice, you can get one for $10k that's nearly new and it should last another 10 years easy. The wheels are standard 4x100 bolt pattern shared with the MR2/miata/mazda2 as well, so I could swap my RPF1's with conti sports directly over to it. Add a $100 rear sway bar and a tune from the guys who tune ROW 1.5 miatas and you have a fun little NFG car that's 2300 lbs and pretty reliable+nice inside.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

4zilch wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:13 am
max225 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:37 pm

:gaydance: You mean a notoriously unreliable engine is unreliable?

:doomed:
:dat: it’s always interesting to see what level of breakage consumers are willing to accept. I can understand the occasional sensor or gasket failure as things age, but major/catastrophic failures on well maintained/non-abused engine and drivetrain components is completely unacceptable in this day in age.
Apparently it doesn’t matter in an sti. Since they cost the same new or used
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

max225 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:30 pm
4zilch wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:13 am

:dat: it’s always interesting to see what level of breakage consumers are willing to accept. I can understand the occasional sensor or gasket failure as things age, but major/catastrophic failures on well maintained/non-abused engine and drivetrain components is completely unacceptable in this day in age.
Apparently it doesn’t matter in an sti. Since they cost the same new or used
:lolol: :dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
max225

I wonder if that madness will ever stop
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

fledonfoot wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:29 am Porsche IMS failures come to mind, honestly.
Toyota frames.
Glass transmissions from Honda
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Toyota piston rings on 2AZs.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Our minivan needs new brakes. I told the wife to call and get a quote becuase I didn't have time this weekend. $200 an axle!!!!!

$100 bucks and a youtube video and you can replace your brakes. How can they charge $400?
troyguitar

That's a good price for a "pro" job.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:50 pm Our minivan needs new brakes. I told the wife to call and get a quote becuase I didn't have time this weekend. $200 an axle!!!!!

$100 bucks and a youtube video and you can replace your brakes. How can they charge $400?
:dat: labor rate breh.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

I was once quoted $800 for a coilover install.

Lets just say I learned how to do it myself.
Davestr

When does this get a Tweet down from the Bankruptcy Expert in charge - https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/23/tesla-h ... china.html

Tesla has reached a deal to build a factory in China
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote:I think I've decided to say screw spending any more money on the Vibe, gonna keep driving it as-is for awhile (through this winter at a minimum) and eventually sell it in favor of something that's got better ergonomics and doesn't already have 150k farts on it. Likely a Scion iA or FRS, maybe an RX8 or E36/46 depending on how :fullretard: I feel like going. :plac:

iA is the smart choice, you can get one for $10k that's nearly new and it should last another 10 years easy. The wheels are standard 4x100 bolt pattern shared with the MR2/miata/mazda2 as well, so I could swap my RPF1's with conti sports directly over to it. Add a $100 rear sway bar and a tune from the guys who tune ROW 1.5 miatas and you have a fun little NFG car that's 2300 lbs and pretty reliable+nice inside.
Sounds depressing, I vote go fuller :fullretard:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Or D-chunks. Or cylinder scoring. Or shitty RMS. Or high-G turn oiling problems.

The early watercooled engines from Porsche were pretty horrible, really. The looks aren't the only thing keeping 996 prices low.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:07 pm I think I've decided to say screw spending any more money on the Vibe, gonna keep driving it as-is for awhile (through this winter at a minimum) and eventually sell it in favor of something that's got better ergonomics and doesn't already have 150k farts on it. Likely a Scion iA or FRS, maybe an RX8 or E36/46 depending on how :fullretard: I feel like going. :plac:

I was in an iA poober once. It was really loud, but seemed peppy enough even with 5 people in it. :iono:
Why not a FiST?
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:28 am
troyguitar wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:07 pm I think I've decided to say screw spending any more money on the Vibe, gonna keep driving it as-is for awhile (through this winter at a minimum) and eventually sell it in favor of something that's got better ergonomics and doesn't already have 150k farts on it. Likely a Scion iA or FRS, maybe an RX8 or E36/46 depending on how :fullretard: I feel like going. :plac:

I was in an iA poober once. It was really loud, but seemed peppy enough even with 5 people in it. :iono:
Why not a FiST?
Because 10k
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:43 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:28 am

Why not a FiST?
Because 10k
Would have to sell a gold coin for it :sad: :nope:

They're both loud tin cans with front weight bias and ox cart rear suspensions, but one has an actual engine, brakes, and handling ability. It also has a hatch :notbad:
Last edited by Johnny_P on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:

Why not a FiST?
I hate the minivan ergonomics of the fiesta. They're the same as the vibe.

Weird that you say the car was loud :doe: - every review says that it's quiet.
max225

Davestr wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:52 am When does this get a Tweet down from the Bankruptcy Expert in charge - https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/23/tesla-h ... china.html

Tesla has reached a deal to build a factory in China
Yup worlds biggest economy growing and getting bigger every second
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:45 am
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:43 am

Because 10k

They're both loud tin cans with front weight bias and ox cart rear suspensions, but one has an actual engine, brakes, and handling ability. It also has a hatch :notbad:
You know how the :mahtroy: arguments go...
IMO a fist is too much money they are pretty expensive for what they are and since they are rare the prices don’t really go down
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:46 am
Johnny_P wrote:
Why not a FiST?
I hate the minivan ergonomics of the fiesta. They're the same as the vibe.

Weird that you say the car was loud :doe: - every review says that it's quiet.
Yeah I understand that. The high chair seating wasn't for me. Actually eliminated that car solely based on the dinner table ergonomics :disgust:

The iA was a lot louder than all the other poobers we had that weekend, and especially louder than our rental Escape.
Johnny_P

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/1 ... re-1596928

Mustang GT gets a new "Performance Pack Level 2" which includes some cosmetic "upgrades" like a snow plow on the front, 3.73 torsen, stiffer sprangz and sways, and 305/30/R19 tars on ALL 4 CORNERS wrapped around impressive looking new rams.
:mindblown:

Davestr

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:50 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:45 am

You know how the :mahtroy: arguments go...
IMO a fist is too much money they are pretty expensive for what they are and since they are rare the prices don’t really go down

New at 15k$$
Seems some good discounts on FiST - https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchres ... 3&zc=30064