Poverty 4x4 thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:47 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:44 pm

Honestly it depends on age/top/tires/mods etc.

In stock form with a hard top, they are acceptable. But I really don't know about the I6. It isn't that reliable and it is frankly a shitty motor, I don't care what anyone says.

I would MUCH MUCH rather Pathfinder with the 3.5 that thing was legit :notbad: far better vehicle at 1/3 the cost. But you can't "rock crawl" yada yada yada
You'd be fine on your yearly death valley Jetta-friendly offroad pilgrimage in a Pathfinder/xterra
Which is why I was thinking 4 Runner... But I think even they are quite overheated at the moment... however not much of a drop from 7-8k to 1500-2000 even in the worst of scenarios. I don't like the styling of the Pathfinder and they are legit Se Hablo espanol vehicles with a terrible stigma, where as the 4 runner has decent aftermarket so a set of wheels/tires and suspensions pieces is easy to find and makes the vehicle look :notbad:
max225

Mang there was nothing jetta friendly about that trip. I have done it in Unibody vehicles and it was god damn awful. Ground clearance is key here... as well as sturdy suspension pieces with preferably non IRS suspensions.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:51 pm Mang there was nothing jetta friendly about that trip. I have done it in Unibody vehicles and it was god damn awful. Ground clearance is key here... as well as sturdy suspension pieces with preferably non IRS suspensions.
:lolol: i keed i keed

Yeah man find a 4Runner. Spend $10k on one :troywax: you'll get that $10k back anyway when you resell it in a couple years. The car price bubble will burst eventually but these are mostly safe unless gas prices skyrocket. Too much money? Sure. But total car ownership cost would be low overall.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

Apex wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:45 pm A Wrangler isn't a race car. For just derping around town with the top off, taking bikes to the trail, etc...the 4 banger is fine. It's the :scrooge: way to Jeep.
Less power also means you're less likely to break stuff like axle components while out on the trail.
Yeah, I'd rather have some torx for climbing up hills
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SixSpeeder wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:54 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Less power also means you're less likely to break stuff like axle components while out on the trail.
Or gears. But I guess that's :sass: fake news huh?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:00 am

:dat:
SixSpeeder

Detroit wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:00 am

I'd rather have torx and geas :truk:
SixSpeeder

I do a lot of wheeling in the Renegayde which has no power but is geared up.
ChrisoftheNorth

SixSpeeder wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:12 pm I do a lot of wheeling in the Renegayde which has no power but is geared up.
Nope. You're an idiot. You need powaaa.

:trollface:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SixSpeeder

Detroit wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:27 pm
SixSpeeder wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:12 pm I do a lot of wheeling in the Renegayde which has no power but is geared up.
Nope. You're an idiot. You need powaaa.

:trollface:
max225

Does it have the tiger shark or whatever that retarded name is and a cvt? totes different from an ancient jeep. You likely have similar performance to a 4.slow heep.
SixSpeeder

max225 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:58 pm
Does it have the tiger shark or whatever that retarded name is and a cvt? totes different from an ancient jeep. You likely have similar performance to a 4.slow heep.
2.4 TigerPythonViperMagicDreams and a 9-speed auto, though it starts out in 2nd gear unless you select '4-low', which isn't really a 4-low. Standard gearing in an auto non-TH Renegade is 3.73, the TH's final gear ratio is 4.33 with a 20:4:1 crawl ratio when in 1st gear (which they call 4-low). The ground clearance and angles are excellent for a stock vehicle, though it could use more powah for climbing. Sometimes I get into situations where it doesn't have the grunt to pull through without building up dangerous speed.
max225

SixSpeeder wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:13 pm

2.4 TigerPythonViperMagicDreams and a 9-speed auto, though it starts out in 2nd gear unless you select '4-low', which isn't really a 4-low. Standard gearing in an auto non-TH Renegade is 3.73, the TH's final gear ratio is 4.33 with a 20:4:1 crawl ratio when in 1st gear (which they call 4-low). The ground clearance and angles are excellent for a stock vehicle, though it could use more powah for climbing. Sometimes I get into situations where it doesn't have the grunt to pull through without building up dangerous speed.
Dang you actually reach the limits of that thing? I'd be worried I'll screw it up
SixSpeeder

Also, Jeep brahs give you the dirtiest looks out on the trails in it as though it's a personal affront against them
max225

SixSpeeder wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:16 pm Also, Jeep brahs give you the dirtiest looks out on the trails in it as though it's a personal affront against them
No solid axles
No frame
No i6
:triggered:

I wish my womenz had one of those. It would be a great camping/softroading type vehicle that doesn't beat you up .... and or get 4mpg on the way to nature
SixSpeeder

max225 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Dang you actually reach the limits of that thing? I'd be worried I'll screw it up
Every time that we take it out, we reach the limits of it. We really need a Wrangler, but she ain't giving up the seat warmers, leather, nav, and sound system for a basic bitch Wrangler or paying $50k for everything, plus is drives way better than a Wrangler on the road and gets good mileage. It's actually been 100% reliable, zero issues and we road tripped down to CA and back in it. :mindblown:

SixSpeeder

max225 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:25 pm
SixSpeeder wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:16 pm Also, Jeep brahs give you the dirtiest looks out on the trails in it as though it's a personal affront against them
No solid axles
No frame
No i6
:triggered:

I wish my womenz had one of those. It would be a great camping/softroading type vehicle that doesn't beat you up .... and or get 4mpg on the way to nature

I like it, it's exceeded every one of my expectations.
ChrisoftheNorth

The Renegade sounds like what I hoped it would be. That's pretty awesome that you guys use it like that.

:fuckyeah:
SixSpeeder

Johnny_P

9AT thoughts? This would make sense for GF when time comes. I am pretty underwhelmed by the stock engine choices though. Even the 2.4/9AT combo which is the big dick engine has a 0-60 time of 9 seconds and a quarter mile of 17s @ 80 MPH which is slooooooooowwwwww.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/jeep-ren ... contender/
Johnny_P

My boss has one of these minus the flames. It's a piece of shit.
SixSpeeder

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:53 pm

9AT thoughts? This would make sense for GF when time comes. I am pretty underwhelmed by the stock engine choices though. Even the 2.4/9AT combo which is the big dick engine has a 0-60 time of 9 seconds and a quarter mile of 17s @ 80 MPH which is slooooooooowwwwww.

I like it for the most part, but it's not the smoothest transmission out there. Most of the gear changes are smooth because they use traditional clutch packs, but when it shifts between gears 4-5 and 7-8, it uses dog clutches to shift. Those shifts are noticeably more rough and make the tranny seem inconsistent from its otherwise smooth normal operation.

It's extremely slow, though it doesn't feel that bad around town, it only becomes obvious when you floor it.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:53 pm

Yea anything above 16 through the quarter is legit slow. My TDI was slow and it made it through it in 16.x
max225

Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:52 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/ ... 48089.html

Tempting AF
4X4 Limited SR5 Package And Has Inly 140K Miles It's Running Really Strong may need a time up Like change oil Nothing sirouse
I'd ask for pictures before agreeing to meet anyone anywhere regarding this vehicle. 20% chance this is a Nigerian prince, 30% chance it's a scam, 10% chance you die if you show up with cash, 40% chance it's just an old dude who knows nothing about this vehicle.