Poverty 4x4 thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:34 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:21 pm

:bruh: Have you been in a GMT800 Tahoe? They're cavernous.
4Runners are as well. These are just moar, lol.
Really a JGC would probably work extremely well for what I want to do.
JGCs are a great value on the used market, especially in the WJ body. But they are starting to get old as the newest one is essentially 15 years old and it was ran into the ground by 5 owners.
I really loved my WJ, and should have never sold it for the measly $6500 i got for it. It was able to tow 6500lbs, had a shit ton of space due to flat seats once folded, great stereo, great comfort, it was only 181" long which is shorter than my 3 series. And it was dead reliable in the 6 years I had it. Not to mention it was capable of going 0-60 in V6 RAV 4 times.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:42 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:34 pm

4Runners are as well. These are just moar, lol.
Really a JGC would probably work extremely well for what I want to do.
WK2 would suit you rather well I think, and they depreciate harder than T4R's.
The problem is keeping a bike inside, if you didn't need a XL framed MTB, we'd have more options. :lol:
I think I can make a compromise there. Bike can be on the roof. As long as there's an ability to shove it inside if absolutely necessary (like visiting LA or Mahtroit, off roading with low overhead clearance, driving through heavy storms, etc. Or opposite, keep it inside normally and throw it on the roof if I need to crash somewhere. If something is long enough to fit me, it'll be long enough for the bike. Just the bike needs 30-32" clearance the entire length of it whereas I do not.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:46 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:32 pm

Draw is ability to sleep in it literally anywhere. Truck stop, walmart parking lot, street parked, whatever, and nobody cares. Ability to stop and sleep more places than if you just had a tent. Plus a bit of added weather protection vs just a tent (wind, rain, snow etc). Wake up, sit up, turn on your butane stove, and make yourself a cup of coffee before even getting out of your sleeping bag. Roof top tent, sure, yeah, go ahead and open that in a rest stop and you'll have all sorts of people trying to poke their head in to see what it is because they attract a lot of attention.

Unfortunately much of the US is developed and people don't want you setting up camp in many places. Polar opposite of places like New Zealand and Australia, where car camping and side of road camping is normal. Here you're shuffled into campgrounds, which is fine, but they are not free, many in the $20-40 a night range, and do that for long enough and it gets :waxer: asf. If you want to camp for "free" outside of certain national forests and BLM areas, you kind of need a secure option that's more stealthy.

Of course if you don't care about spending money on campgrounds then none of this matters, and then this just turns into a giant steel tent that's permanently getting dragged behind you.

You have the ability to sleep anywhere now, you're just a $29.95 Coleman tent away from that. You're literally describing being a BUM with a fancy label. Sleeping in a Walmart parking lot whether you do it in a shitty ass 20 year old suburban or a cardbox box, is one and the same to me. :disgust: Making a cup of Joe in the Walmart lot? Yea if I was an urban nomad with no friends and a dog maybe, but most of us tend to have sig others who appropriately would lose their shit at that type of proposition.

lets be real here.
All I'm getting at is, for what I want to do, ability to sleep inside the vehicle in a pinch would come in very handy. Something that is easily possible in a Suburban, and much harder in a Crosstrek.

You absolutely cannot just set up a tent anywhere and camp in it wherever you please.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:51 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:42 pm

WK2 would suit you rather well I think, and they depreciate harder than T4R's.
The problem is keeping a bike inside, if you didn't need a XL framed MTB, we'd have more options. :lol:
I think I can make a compromise there. Bike can be on the roof. As long as there's an ability to shove it inside if absolutely necessary (like visiting LA or Mahtroit, off roading with low overhead clearance, driving through heavy storms, etc. If something is long enough to fit me, it'll be long enough for the bike. Just the bike needs 30-32" clearance the entire length of it whereas I do not.
We can make something work for that then.

Also :wasteful: I really fucking hope you take this trip.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:54 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:46 pm

You have the ability to sleep anywhere now, you're just a $29.95 Coleman tent away from that. You're literally describing being a BUM with a fancy label. Sleeping in a Walmart parking lot whether you do it in a shitty ass 20 year old suburban or a cardbox box, is one and the same to me. :disgust: Making a cup of Joe in the Walmart lot? Yea if I was an urban nomad with no friends and a dog maybe, but most of us tend to have sig others who appropriately would lose their shit at that type of proposition.

lets be real here.
All I'm getting at is, for what I want to do, ability to sleep inside the vehicle in a pinch would come in very handy. Something that is easily possible in a Suburban, and much harder in a Crosstrek.

You absolutely cannot just set up a tent anywhere and camp in it wherever you please.
You are also not supposed to park in most walmart lots over night. Same shit different strokes. Lets be real here, is your sig other going to sleep with you in a walmart parking lot ? Or let you go on a weeklong trip where you do without judging? I am legit curious. I get this whole "let go of society" mindset and experience "nature" but that shit gets old quick when you're faced with the reality of the situation.
Apex

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:56 pm

You are also not supposed to park in most walmart lots over night. Same shit different strokes. Lets be real here, is your sig other going to sleep with you in a walmart parking lot ? Or let you go on a weeklong trip where you do without judging? I am legit curious. I get this whole "let go of society" mindset and experience "nature" but that shit gets old quick when you're faced with the reality of the situation.
You forget that his sig other is pushing him to do this for like 3 months.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:54 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:51 pm

I think I can make a compromise there. Bike can be on the roof. As long as there's an ability to shove it inside if absolutely necessary (like visiting LA or Mahtroit, off roading with low overhead clearance, driving through heavy storms, etc. If something is long enough to fit me, it'll be long enough for the bike. Just the bike needs 30-32" clearance the entire length of it whereas I do not.

I should make a thread about it so everyone can tell me I'm :wrong:
Been avoiding doing that because of how negative this place is. Half the people I discuss it with think it's awesome as hell, the other half think I'm retarded.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I thought Walmart had some policy that if you bought something they didn't care. I used to hear that anyways. Walk in and buy a pack of gum and then go sleep in your car NFG.
SAWCE

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:57 pm

Been avoiding doing that because of how negative this place is. Half the people I discuss it with think it's awesome as hell, the other half think I'm retarded.
I think it's dope. Wish I had the savings account to do that and was in a job market with more demand so I'd know I could easily find a job on my return.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:57 pm

I thought Walmart had some policy that if you bought something they didn't care. I used to hear that anyways. Walk in and buy a pack of gum and then go sleep in your car NFG.
You're describing a life of opulence, so walmart security guys watched you go in and buy that gum and follow you to your car to make sure... or they gonna come knocking at 4am ?
max225

:wat: is this trip... what are the deets, I am coming 1/2 ways too late into this convo. :waiting:
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:58 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:57 pm

You're describing a life of opulence, so walmart security guys watched you go in and buy that gum and follow you to your car to make sure... or they gonna come knocking at 4am ?
Yeah I get what you're saying. So go park on the nearest street with available street parking.
max225

:woodplow:

Apex

+1 for this is awesome as hell camp
max225

Apex wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:03 pm

+1 for this is awesome as hell camp
+1 For info as well. Can't just make an opinion that is logical based on half assed info, could either be awesome or terrible but no info provided.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:02 pm :woodplow:

:datass:
Johnny_P

She wouldn't be going with me. Would be a solo trip.
Trip would last at minimum a month, up to 3 months though.
Would quit job. No income. I'd be a bum, so yeah watching costs matters.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:13 pm Max just won't get the point of any of this anyway, so just block his input now. :lol:

I think it's fucking awesome. Make it a point to stop in and see @Kiagiver at his gas station/laundromat and do some laundry and hold him up with a jerky stick.
:hubba:
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:13 pm Max just won't get the point of any of this anyway, so just block his input now. :lol:

I think it's fucking awesome. Make it a point to stop in and see @Kiagiver at his gas station/laundromat and do some laundry and hold him up with a jerky stick.
A reasonable response to any argument block opposing views, something mature reasonable adults are expected to do.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:11 pm

She wouldn't be going with me. Would be a solo trip.
Trip would last at minimum a month, up to 3 months though.
Would quit job. No income. I'd be a bum, so yeah watching costs matters.
You’re just going to quit cold turkey and become a bum for 1-3 months ? What about after ?
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:39 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:26 pm

A reasonable response to any argument block opposing views, something mature reasonable adults are expected to do.
I was kidding - hence the :lol:

But remove yourself from your shoes and put yourself in Wasteful's. He's been pretty clear about what he wants to do - travel the country with a bike in tow on the cheap and lowdown in some kind of 4wd vehicle.
I’m not in my shoes, I’m asking him direct questions with regards to what he wants to do and how his sig other will take it. :notsure: he is really up for 30-90 nights in Walmart parking lots either.

I want to go on the exact same trip possibly visit all national parks on the way, but real life comes at you fast bruh.

We need a thread to actually discuss this in a reasonable manner. Without the pollution of a cheap 4x4
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:58 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:54 pm

I’m not in my shoes, I’m asking him direct questions with regards to what he wants to do and how his sig other will take it. :notsure: he is really up for 30-90 nights in Walmart parking lots either.

I want to go on the exact same trip possibly visit all national parks on the way, but real life comes at you fast bruh.

We need a thread to actually discuss this in a reasonable manner. Without the pollution of a cheap 4x4
Might I direct you to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=678
:like:
max225

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 08836.html

Durangos are cheap if you're ok with one of the shittiest stigmas known to man and closer to single digit mpg.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Seems pricey compared to the Commander posted and even some other options that may be more expensive, but are on much newer and less shitty platforms.
Apex

I should see if I can find some WK/XK setups that might intrigue :wasteful:
I'll ask wifey to check her facebook groups for some.