Poverty 4x4 thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

So I was on the fence about making a thread about this... but FK it...

I wanted to possibly get poverty 4x4. I am really open to pretty much anything and here are my key requirements.
1. Reliability, it has to be reliable, no range rovers etc, no faulty engine designs or transmissions. Basically has to run to 200k easy.
2. 4x4 with some ground clearance, need about 8" (that's what she said)
3. It has to be under 7500
4. Depreciation has to be at or below 1500 a year. If it isn't I'd rather lease a new wrangler at $300 :aintcare: since it will be worry/maintenance free.
5. Relatively comfortable on long trips, I need to be taking this thing on road trips.
6. MPG at or above 16 average.
Preferably smallish size.

I am pretty much completely open to anything. It can even be a truck :triggered: the issue is it has to be an extended cab, and a short bed because I have no use for that thing.

My candidates are XJ, some early 2000 sierras/silverados. I like older 4 runners Xterras, but they are pricy.

So far both XJs sold the same day they were posted. '

Let me know what you guys think.
max225

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:wtf:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6086860576.html

Something like this also... but frankly I think I'd prefer an XJ for the extra space. The damn Wrangler is just so damn small.

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

What you want doesn't exist. At least until industry :nuke:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I've heard good things about XTerras lately.
Early 2000's Silverado isn't bad, but you'll be hard pressed for something that doesn't need a lot of work.

Fuck man, lease a new Wrangler. You like nice things and don't like turning wrenches, seem like the best thing for you.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Melon wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:03 am I've heard good things about XTerras lately.
Early 2000's Silverado isn't bad, but you'll be hard pressed for something that doesn't need a lot of work.

Fuck man, lease a new Wrangler. You like nice things and don't like turning wrenches, seem like the best thing for you.
:dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Forester. 4x4, check. 8" ground clearance, check. Low depreciation, check. Reliable? Check, if it's had the head gaskets replaced. 16 MPG, check, just.

Long trip comfort is going to be the question on that one.

They're surprisingly capable off road.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:24 am https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6086860576.html

Something like this also... but frankly I think I'd prefer an XJ for the extra space. The damn Wrangler is just so damn small.

I liked the 2 door wrangler a lot on the test drive. It just doesn't have room for anything in the back if the seat is there, total let down.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

An LJ would be awesome, but impossible to find and when you do, the prices are :yeahok: :nope:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Montero Sport

Older Taco. High price of entry but you won't lose anything on it.

All the 4x4 Frontiers should fit the bill nicely.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:03 am An LJ would be awesome, but impossible to find and when you do, the prices are :yeahok: :nope:
:dat:

I've only found LJ's near me with 100k+ miles for no less than 12k. :disappoint:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:51 am Forester. 4x4, check. 8" ground clearance, check. Low depreciation, check. Reliable? Check, if it's had the head gaskets replaced. 16 MPG, check, just.

Interesting idea... :notbad:
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:30 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:51 am Forester. 4x4, check. 8" ground clearance, check. Low depreciation, check. Reliable? Check, if it's had the head gaskets replaced. 16 MPG, check, just.

Interesting idea... :notbad:
A guy on my bike team had one way back when. It was a riot off road. Never got stuck and was able to do whatever the full size trucks could due to the ground clearance. Actually was better off road than some of them.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:11 am Xterra is a very good offroad buy.

I kinda regret not listening to Maxfax and finding one. I've always liked 'em.

Leasing a Dangler is the best option here, doe.
An Xterra would be a good fit, but I can't find anything under $7500, anything more than that is not really an option since leasing/lease take over a new wrangler would cost about same.

However here some other things I have found.

Nissan Pathfinder- Dirt cheap and does everything I want. The only issue is, I wouldn't be able to resell it after I am done with it since apparently no one wants them. I have no idea why these are so god damn cheap.
Here are some that I found.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ctd/6088012165.html
This is basically a Frontier with a shell, which is what I need. However, I think this gen is too big for me.

And there is this gen which is basically the cheapest 4x4 you can get outside of a ZJ/WJ here.
This is Unibody... nissan went full :derp: BOF>Unibody freak gen (this one) >BOF it is a bastard child that nobody wants. However it comes with a VERY solid 3.5 VQ motor, 250+hp, 21gal gas tank. So it is a great vehicle for long trips. IMO.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ctd/6087716555.html

The other options is a 4 runner. Which would be easier to re-sell. However the main issue the 3.4 V6, it is gutless and it has a timing belt. So I'd only get one if it had the timing belt changed. And that's hard to find since most ppl treat them as disposable POS vehicles

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6069402634.html

This is the best/cleanest 4 runner I have found. Which would suit me quite well. But... I have no idea if timing belt was changed. And almost 5 figures for a 15 year old toyoda.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/6088367504.html

Random find... an FJ cruiser for sub 5 digits that has been sideswiped... which I don't mind too much frankly.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/6088547671.html

So let me know what you guys think. Between Pathfinder/4Runner.. I think they are the only affordable options.
max225

Forester wouldn't be horrible, but I am not 100% sure about low depreciation and cost of ownership. Headgaskets and timing belts need doing around the mileage I want high 5 figure/low 6 figure and that's around 2-3k combined of work that I don't want to do myself.

Subarus kind of fall apart by 150k miles... CV/axles/Headgaskets/Cats/Timing belts all kinds of weird shit in every ad I am browsing when it comes to these.

It seems that ppl "LOVE" em for 100k try to hold on by paying a few high dollar repair bills and then :nope: their way into a new one. I wouldn't want that older POS.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I like the green pathfinder you posted.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:58 am FWIW, unless you're willing to pay a tiny bit extra for something that's been maintained and taken care of, you're going to need to accept some kind of level of maintenance/work on an older vehicle. Nature of the beast. I really doubt you'll find your unicorn cheap creampuff.

The Frontierfinder nobody wants because they went to IRS on that generation, which is just extra complexity and meh for offroad stuff.

The Unibody Pathfinder is actually super capable, has a live rear axle, 240 HP VQ, is pretty light weight and fun to drive for a SUV and can definitely play in the dirt. Nothing wrong with a unibody, the XJ and WJ were unibody vehicles, too. Only thing to really watch out for on that is oil consumption - Nissan engines have a nasty habit of butt-chugging precat material, which means the cylinder walls get scored and the engines start drinking oil. My best friend and roommate had one of these in college, and we never thought to check the oil... nearly ran it bone dry. :yikes:

Early 2nd gen Xterras aren't *that* expensive, they've come down quite a bit in price. You need to watch out for the SMOD issue (strawberry milkshake of death) in which the trans cooler thats integrated into the radiator fails and mixes the trans fluid with coolant, which leads to trans failure. If you go with a :manuel: it's a non-issue.

4Runners are the most proven, but you're going to pay extra.
I don't mind paying extra for a well maintained/nicer vehicle. As you can see I posted from the entire spectrum.

Good call on the radiator and oil consumption, both issues came up in my research.

4 runners are tempting because of relatively good reliability and cultish following. I think I'm shifting away from XJs which have completely fallen off the pricing deep end. Besides I'd only be interested in a 98 XJ which will be impossible to find. 97s have first model year wiring issues and 99+ pop heads.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:11 pm I'd 4Runner all day long man.

Down on power but super reliable and super capable.
How about 4Runner vs unibody pathfinder ? Pathfinder is cheaper and up on power and likely better to drive and no timing belt and I find it slightly better looking.

However 4 runner may be more reliable, and depreciate less, far better aftermarket if I wanted to make it slightly more capable.
max225

http://www.jimmyvassertoyota.com/vehicl ... d-17902650

This one had the timing belt replaced back in 2010, but around ~100k miles so it should be good to go for another 3-4 years. 9k doe... It looks VERY clean.

I think I will likely focus on these and the pathfinders.
Johnny_P

Watch for rust on the older pathfinders.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:27 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:11 pm I'd 4Runner all day long man.

Down on power but super reliable and super capable.
How about 4Runner vs unibody pathfinder ? Pathfinder is cheaper and up on power and likely better to drive and no timing belt and I find it slightly better looking.

However 4 runner may be more reliable, and depreciate less, far better aftermarket if I wanted to make it slightly more capable.
Easier and better resale on the 4Runner.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:04 pm Watch for rust on the older pathfinders.
We don't have rust.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:05 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:27 pm

Easier and better resale on the 4Runner.
For sure. I sent two emails out. There is a green one I am actually really interested in at a dealer. But they want 9k which is obscene. I'm only willing to offer 7k otd.
Last edited by max225 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:26 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:04 pm Watch for rust on the older pathfinders.
We don't have rust.
If it lived elsewhere it could have rust.