Dat detailing thread, doe.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I second everyone's comments that if you are going to the track you should PPF doe. You are a living witness to how the track completely decimated your Hooters parking lot rating on the C5.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:26 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:13 am

I would think PPF is the way to go if you're going to track it. How much does it usually run for the front half of the car?
I haven't gotten a quote yet but I'm guessing $1500-$2K, the entire car I think would be more like $3K. Pretty pricey.
It's probably worth it then.

My next car I want to do at least the front in PPF.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:15 am Alright bros.

With the BRZ on the way, I will have my first new/'expensive' car since the :mk6: With the :aintcare: Beemah, I just went through the tunnel wash primarily, with interior detailing done at home and a hand wash/wax a couple of times/year. I am a bit out of the game but I'd like to take care of the paint on the new car and will likely resume home washing/exterior care.

What is the new hotness? Is PPF worth the lofty price tag? Curious if anyone has experience with it. I think at least on the front clip and behind the wheels would be worthwhile given those areas got pretty worse for the wear on the C5 from track time.

Ceramic coating, is this a valid substitute I can DIY? I still have a bunch of detailing shit but curious what people are using now.
This was discussed in the savagegeese GR86 video. They showed where they applied PPF and how it held up after 10,000mi of daily driving and multiple track days. PPF is the way to go over ceramic for actual pain protection, hence the name.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

With the BRZ on the way, I will have my first new/'expensive' car since the :mk6: With the :aintcare: Beemah, I just went through the tunnel wash primarily, with interior detailing done at home and a hand wash/wax a couple of times/year. I am a bit out of the game but I'd like to take care of the paint on the new car and will likely resume home washing/exterior care.

What is the new hotness? Is PPF worth the lofty price tag? Curious if anyone has experience with it. I think at least on the front clip and behind the wheels would be worthwhile given those areas got pretty worse for the wear on the C5 from track time.

Ceramic coating, is this a valid substitute I can DIY? I still have a bunch of detailing shit but curious what people are using now.
If you want the full front done (full front bumper, full hood, fenders & mirrors), I'd expect to pay $2k minimum. Add $500 probably if you want to do the rockers. Source - https://www.polishworksautodetail.com/f ... protection

That's where I had mine done, and they were cheaper than anyone here in the Indianapolis area. I was feeling cheap and did only the hood and front bumper, but I REALLY wish I would have done the rockers. The bottom of the rockers on these cars is painted and gets peppered by anything getting kicked up by the front wheels. Yes, it's under the car and you'll never see it unless the car is on a lift, but it still :triggered: me.

If I could do it all over again, I'd have gone for their full $3,795 package. Do it once, do it right, cry once. I'm really happy with how my DIY ceramic coating turned out, but it was two full days of work and I'm sure it won't be as durable as what the pros use. I did Gtechniq Halo on the PPF (this stuff is amazing), and Crystal Serum Light topped with Exo V4 on the paint. All of it is great and really easy to work with, would highly recommend. The bitch part is the prep. Rinse, iron remover, rinse, clay, wash, dry, polish, Eraser, coat, wait to cure, coat again. :amaze: :dead:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:15 pm This was discussed in the savagegeese GR86 video. They showed where they applied PPF and how it held up after 10,000mi of daily driving and multiple track days. PPF is the way to go over ceramic for actual pain protection, hence the name.
:dat:

Ceramic coating does not prevent rock chips, it just makes the car easier to wash and maybe slightly more scratch resistant. Some also look great, like Gtechniq, IMO.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:13 am

I would think PPF is the way to go if you're going to track it. How much does it usually run for the front half of the car?
I haven't gotten a quote yet but I'm guessing $1500-$2K, the entire car I think would be more like $3K. Pretty pricey.
Full car probably starts at like $6k depending on the shop.

Average Price: $8,500

https://www.rahalpaintprotection.com/ou ... tion-film/
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:46 pm

$8500 on a $30K car is a no from me dawg.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I would do front bumper, side mirrors, and maybe the side skirts. Whatever is most likely to be hit by debris.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:59 pm

No joke. I spent $1,400 to have the hood and front bumper done, then another $250ish for the (DIY) coatings and other supplies I needed. Still wish I would have done the fenders and rockers, doe. :ohwell:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

This would also be a MAJOR :triggered: from the wife. She is not really stoked on this whole thing. What with the ongoing attempt at having a child, dumping my practical sedan and paying 2X for a toy car wasn't exactly palatable. She did ultimately say 'we've tried to have a kid for two years and you never know what life will bring, so you may as well enjoy yourself' and give it the seal of approval BUT I think I'll have to be pretty conservative with other expenditures on the thing for a bit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

A lot of the 86s I've attempted to get have the Toyota PPF done, curious to see how that is if I ever get to see one in person or consider purchase before the BRZ comes in.

I feel like $8K would be better spent on a full paint job in 10 years though, particularly when :plac: exists.

The front/rockers/fenders is probably the right compromise.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:15 pm

This was discussed in the savagegeese GR86 video. They showed where they applied PPF and how it held up after 10,000mi of daily driving and multiple track days. PPF is the way to go over ceramic for actual pain protection, hence the name.
I did watch that as well, same thing as the other thread though, it's all fun and games when you're a YouTuber and the shop gives you stuff for free/discount and/or you can write it off as a business expense.

:jelly: :sass:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:iono: the product does what it does, wether you're a YouTuber or a middle class DFDer.

Either way if you care enough to ask the question I think PPFing what you can afford will be worth it.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:02 am A lot of the 86s I've attempted to get have the Toyota PPF done, curious to see how that is if I ever get to see one in person or consider purchase before the BRZ comes in.

I feel like $8K would be better spent on a full paint job in 10 years though, particularly when :plac: exists.

The front/rockers/fenders is probably the right compromise.
The factory PPF is shit, my car came with it. It's a small strip at the front of the hood, a matching small patch on the front of the front fenders, and the mirrors. Nothing on the front bumper. I left the PPF on the mirrors and had the other pieces removed when I had the full PPF job done.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:00 am

This would also be a MAJOR :triggered: from the wife. She is not really stoked on this whole thing. What with the ongoing attempt at having a child, dumping my practical sedan and paying 2X for a toy car wasn't exactly palatable. She did ultimately say 'we've tried to have a kid for two years and you never know what life will bring, so you may as well enjoy yourself' and give it the seal of approval BUT I think I'll have to be pretty conservative with other expenditures on the thing for a bit.
"It's fine but your do one more bro move and you'll be working out on Cale's rowing machine."
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:02 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:00 am

"It's fine but your do one more bro move and you'll be working out on Cale's rowing machine."
I believe she refers to my house as the nursing home