Dat detailing thread, doe.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Question for the gurus:

My gf had one of those air fresheners filled with oil in her car :rolleyes:

It exploded :rolleyes:

The oil seems to have chemically bonded to the plastic under the vents. Suggestions on removing this? Nothing I have works. Maybe remove the silver piece where it's cracked, sand and paint? Do any paints work on plastic that won't chip? Fucking air fresheners... :rolleyes:

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

:ohdang:

That looks bad. Appears the paint on the plastic trim actually "melted" and peeled away like it would have with paint remover or something.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I fucking hate those air fresheners so much for this reason. Infamous keeps buying them, and I keep throwing them out.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

It looks like it :nuke: the material. Ain't no getting that out.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Hopefully car is a POS?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:28 am Hopefully car is a POS?
Not really, it's a 2012 Fusion. It's a decent car, works well for her, but she is a bit OCD and really hates stuff like this :sad: . She just paid this off a few months ago, hopefully she can get a few payment free years out of it before replacing.

Thoughts on painting at least the silver part?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I thought maybe I could at least get that white stain off, but the plastic is totally :nuke: .
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:45 am I thought maybe I could at least get that white stain off, but the plastic is totally :nuke: .
The "white stain" appears to be plastic under the dash foam. That ain't coming off without a dash replacement.

Could probably sand and paint the silver trim, but the chances of finding matching silver paint is slim, so I'd plan on removing the entire thing and repainting if possible.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:48 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:45 am I thought maybe I could at least get that white stain off, but the plastic is totally :nuke: .
The "white stain" appears to be plastic under the dash foam. That ain't coming off without a dash replacement.

Could probably sand and paint the silver trim, but the chances of finding matching silver paint is slim, so I'd plan on removing the entire thing and repainting if possible.
:word: It is under the rubbery stuff, can confirm...

I would remove the silver piece and paint it, would be easy, just :notsure: on the paint not chipping. Fucking air fresheners.
ChrisoftheNorth

The paint chipping after it's painted? You'd want to sand down the part that's screwed, but other than that I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think silver interior trim paint exists to where you could paint it and make it look pretty close to factory.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:02 pm The paint chipping after it's painted? You'd want to sand down the part that's screwed, but other than that I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think silver interior trim paint exists to where you could paint it and make it look pretty close to factory.
If not I would think that trim piece would be easy to find on ebay or from a salvage yard. Might be worth the little money it will cost to have it look factory than to screw with a rattle can that may or may not match the rest of the factory trim.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:18 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:02 pm The paint chipping after it's painted? You'd want to sand down the part that's screwed, but other than that I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think silver interior trim paint exists to where you could paint it and make it look pretty close to factory.
If not I would think that trim piece would be easy to find on ebay or from a salvage yard. Might be worth the little money it will cost to have it look factory than to screw with a rattle can that may or may not match the rest of the factory trim.
Oh, this is a very good idea.
ChrisoftheNorth

Shit, to that end...I wonder if the black part could be replaced as well?

ChrisoftheNorth

ChrisoftheNorth

ChrisoftheNorth

And the silver part:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2012-Ford- ... YD&vxp=mtr

That was way too easy, and could be done for under $100 like it never happened. This is the way to go, IMO.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:23 pm SANITIZED!!!! :triggered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SANITIZED-2010- ... u1&vxp=mtr
:ohdang: Nice find.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:24 pm And the silver part:

That was way too easy, and could be done for under $100 like it never happened. This is the way to go, IMO.
Nice work. Griff, although fixing it as instructed is a fine option, you might also consider leaving it there as a sort of Scarlet Letter that brands her for all eternity with the reminder of how foolish she was to introduce potential solvents into what should be prisitine interior space, all in the name of making the interior smell of Alaskan Spruce or some such nonsense?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:24 pm And the silver part:

Nice work. Griff, although fixing it as instructed is a fine option, you might also consider leaving it there as a sort of Scarlet Letter that brands her for all eternity with the reminder of how foolish she was to introduce potential solvents into what should be prisitine interior space, all in the name of making the interior smell of Alaskan Spruce or some such nonsense?
:dat:

But, it's good to have a game plan. I'd leave it and every time she complains remind her of the error of her ways. Then when she bitched enough about it, pull the trigger on replacement parts.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:15 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:58 pm

But, it's good to have a game plan. I'd leave it and every time she complains remind her of the error of her ways. Then when she bitched enough about it, pull the trigger on replacement parts.
Otherwise, what's next? Big gulp cups stuffed with burrito wrappers in the back floorwells? French fries down the crack by the front seat? Melted lipstick?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:24 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Otherwise, what's next? Big gulp cups stuffed with burrito wrappers in the back floorwells? French fries down the crack by the front seat? Melted lipstick?
It's a very slippery slope.
:disgust:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:14 am Washed the car yesterday, rained overnight. :rage:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. Washed and waxed on Saturday, rain is in the forecast all week. :rage:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

Truck is getting detailed courtesy of mother nature. :fuckyeah: :scrooge: :aintcare:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:37 am Truck is getting detailed courtesy of mother nature. :fuckyeah: :scrooge: :aintcare:
Quick, get out there!

Gotta offset the earth-destruction somehow...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I'll have to look at it when I'm home, IIRC her's has a speaker on that piece. Dat SEL :troywax: version.

I don't feel the need to punish her too much, I never actually advised against the air fresheners, seemed a battle not worth fighting (I was wrong, obviously). Because of that, I'll now have to spend hours searching ebay and replacing parts.

She had mentioned Pull-A-Part... but :iono: eBay is so much more convenient.