Dat detailing thread, doe.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Melon wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:26 pm I say leave it. Let the next person :dealwithit:
Takes 5 minutes to scrub em and coat. I'd rather do it and not have a single piece of the bike look rat for the sale.
I needa get off my ass and really detail it.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:32 pm
Melon wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:26 pm I say leave it. Let the next person :dealwithit:
Takes 5 minutes to scrub em and coat. I'd rather do it and not have a single piece of the bike look rat for the sale.
Ah, then any oil really, maybe coat them in high temp VHT paint and bake in the oven?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Acid666

Melon wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:34 pm
Acid666 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:32 pm

Ah, then any oil really, maybe coat them in high temp VHT paint and bake in the oven?
Maybe. I did paint a few things on the Honda Shadow with VHT and it withstood it fine. I powdercoated the O2 bungs and that didn't take long to turn to shit. I thought the powder would hold with the heat but I guess it was only for the baking phase. Then again it was Harbor Freight powder, so expecting much out of it shouldn't really be a goal.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 9:07 am Alright, my official list of products:
Car wash: Meguiars Gold Class
Wax Removal: Dawn dish soap, original blend
Clay lube/QD: Meguiars Last Touch D155
Cut: Meguiars Foam Cut Compound M101
Polish: Meguiars Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish M205
Glaze: Prima Amigo
Wax: Prima Epic
Sealant: Sonax Polymer Net Shield
Plastic polish: Meguiars PlastX
Quick scratch removal: Meguiars ScratchX
Glass: Stoner's Invisible Glass
Adhesive/tar removal: Stoner's Tarminator
Black trim wax removal: Pre-WOW
Black trim conditioner: Black WOW
Door and rubber seal conditioner: Nextzett (previously 1z/Einszett) Gummipflege
Interior cleaner: Nextzett Cockpit Premium
Interior leather conditioner: Nextzett Lederpflege
Interior upholstery and carpet cleaner: Sonax Upholstery and Carpet cleaner
I need to do some more of this stuff.

What's the special sauce for cleaning and then conditioning leather seats and a vinyl convertible top? I assume I need some kind of UV protection. I'm thinking about trying this stuff on the top and interior once they're clean:

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-11 ... B002NGDH7C
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if my "leather" seats are leather at all. I might just want the same vinyl stuff for the top and the entire interior.
Acid666

Here's the correct way to detail your vehicle. This is how top notch dealership does it. And you know they know what they're doing.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Acid666 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:44 am Here's the correct way to detail your vehicle. This is how top notch dealership does it. And you know they know what they're doing.
:disgust:

Ferd quality, doe.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

In other detail news, it's been a year with CQuartz and the car still looks incredible after washing, which I did yesterday. I think I'm going to do a coat of Reload this afternoon to really make it shine.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:49 am In other detail news, it's been a year with CQuartz and the car still looks incredible after washing, which I did yesterday. I think I'm going to do a coat of Reload this afternoon to really make it shine.
I'm happy with mine on the body parts I did. I think I did the majority of the car with it. The rims though, they don't let me rinse the brake dust off as easily as I thought they would with me coating them. The repel the water fine, but the brake dust just doesn't come off with it more than before I Cquartz'd em.
I still rarely wash the car though. Just wipe it down with Adam's detail spray. I need to buy another gallon bucket of that shit. Smells awesome.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:54 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:49 am In other detail news, it's been a year with CQuartz and the car still looks incredible after washing, which I did yesterday. I think I'm going to do a coat of Reload this afternoon to really make it shine.
I'm happy with mine on the body parts I did. I think I did the majority of the car with it. The rims though, they don't let me rinse the brake dust off as easily as I thought they would with me coating them. The repel the water fine, but the brake dust just doesn't come off with it more than before I Cquartz'd em.
I still rarely wash the car though. Just wipe it down with Adam's detail spray. I need to buy another gallon bucket of that shit. Smells awesome.
I was wondering how your wheels turned out as I've been debating CQuartz on mine for the same reason. Sounds like I'll pass. It's not the water that sucks, it's the dust.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I haven't washed my C5 in two months.

I was going to do it this weekend, but I had yardwork to do, and there's only so much heat I can take.
ChrisoftheNorth

I've managed to wash the C5 once a week lately. It gets dusty, and it's something I enjoy.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:00 am I've managed to wash the C5 once a week lately. It gets dusty, and it's something I enjoy.
Normally I keep mine pretty clean, I'll try to get to it this weekend.
NFG when I'm working on it, and I'm sweating all over it.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:58 am

I was wondering how your wheels turned out as I've been debating CQuartz on mine for the same reason. Sounds like I'll pass. It's not the water that sucks, it's the dust.

If I had to do it again I would though. It does help stop with the water spots. That is a big help. Usually I get the leafblower out after I wash the car and the Cquarts does help make sure no water spots form. I really hate cleaning these Forgestars because they take longer than a rim with less spokes.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:06 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:00 am I've managed to wash the C5 once a week lately. It gets dusty, and it's something I enjoy.
Normally I keep mine pretty clean, I'll try to get to it this weekend.
NFG when I'm working on it, and I'm sweating all over it.
Mine was so bad after being apart for 4 months...I wasn't sure if it would ever look nice again.

It does, and with minimal effort. CQuartz FTW
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

#corvettelyfe
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:41 am
#corvettelyfe
:dat:

I've never washed it twice without driving it in between, doe.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Still no C5 wash.
Next weekend doesn't look good either.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:58 am

:iono:

I waxed mine with Sonax and I still have to scrub them down, it didn't really make any meaningful difference to me.

Those Dust Tech pads are unforgiving bitches.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I washed my car yesterday. It looks good. :jizz:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:55 am I washed my car yesterday. It looks good. :jizz:
I washed and waxed mine on Saturday. Didn't drive it yesterday. It's raining today and rain is in the forcast through Thursday. :rage:
:mahtroy: luck :flaccid:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:07 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:55 am I washed my car yesterday. It looks good. :jizz:
I washed and waxed mine on Saturday. Didn't drive it yesterday. It's raining today and rain is in the forcast through Thursday. :rage:
:mahtroy: luck :flaccid:
:rage:

This always happens though.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:57 pm I actually washed, clayed, and waxed the Forks today. :mindblown:

Not sure what got into me this morning.
Pics of dat shine??
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:57 pm I actually washed, clayed, and waxed the Forks today. :mindblown:

Not sure what got into me this morning.

I'm going to go with you being an OCD car detailing nut?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

I think I've washed the truck...twice. Clay/polish/wax? :whocares: :butwhy: :wtf: :nope: