Dat detailing thread, doe.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

[user not found] wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:34 pm
Melon wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:23 am Looking to get some microfiber towels, waffle weave, large and small. Some interior detailer, probably One7 stuff, or whatever it was called. I have some optimum interior detailer, but need a brush to try it with.

Many dangs.
Detailed Image code, 25% off: Spring417

Also, they're having a 50% off microfiber sale: http://www.detailedimage.com/Sales/Up-t ... 04-22-2017
:like:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I decided to wash :eeyore: yesterday afternoon, and Infamous decided to wash her car at the same time. She went full :mindblown: at how the water beaded off :eeyore: (CQuartz) and suggested I do the same to her car since we take it on trips.

Time to find a good deal on CQuartz. When I bought it for :eeyore: , I found it on sale. How often does that happen? Or should I just stop being a :scrooge: ?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:42 am I decided to wash :eeyore: yesterday afternoon, and Infamous decided to wash her car at the same time. She went full :mindblown: at how the water beaded off :eeyore: (CQuartz) and suggested I do the same to her car since we take it on trips.

Time to find a good deal on CQuartz. When I bought it for :eeyore: , I found it on sale. How often does that happen? Or should I just stop being a :scrooge: ?
Ive got a friend who has applied it to all of his vehicles at separate times the past two years. If you wait you can find a :dill: .
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

What should I detail my bike with. The paint does not have a clear on it so I dont know what I can and cannot do to make it perdy.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:34 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:42 am I decided to wash :eeyore: yesterday afternoon, and Infamous decided to wash her car at the same time. She went full :mindblown: at how the water beaded off :eeyore: (CQuartz) and suggested I do the same to her car since we take it on trips.

I'll keep an eye out for Carpro :dill: :dill:
Sweet, let me know if you find a :dill: I think it'd be worth coating the Volt. It's crazy how nice the :poorvette: looks even after just a basic wash.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:40 am I regret not doing Cquartz on the Forks - given how little I wash it, it would've been a good investment.
I've thought about doing it on big green.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:40 am I regret not doing Cquartz on the Forks - given how little I wash it, it would've been a good investment.
It's never too late. The C5 was a mess before I put it on. Now it's legit :impressive:
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:41 am
Keep in mind that the coating seals in the paint as it is. So on an older vehicles, you have to spend a lot of time getting the paint in good shape. The good news is that once you put in all the work then seal it, it'll stay that way. Just takes a lot of effort, and it would be pretty major on a truck. Not to mention the cost of the stuff.

But once it's done, the maintenance is :mindblown:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:43 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:42 am

It's never too late. The C5 was a mess before I put it on. Now it's legit :impressive:
Yeah, but that means doing a paint correction...

Maybe later this summer.
Oh for sure. It's a major undertaking to get the paint right. BUT, I think it's worth it.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:44 am
Melon wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:41 am

Keep in mind that the coating seals in the paint as it is. So on an older vehicles, you have to spend a lot of time getting the paint in good shape. The good news is that once you put in all the work then seal it, it'll stay that way. Just takes a lot of effort, and it would be pretty major on a truck. Not to mention the cost of the stuff.

Word, just toying with the idea.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:46 am

Word, just toying with the idea.
Worth doing. Just know what you're getting into.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I know, full paint correction, and application. Would be epic to have a nearly new looking 17 year old truck doe.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:50 am I know, full paint correction, and application. Would be epic to have a nearly new looking 17 year old truck doe.
Seriously. Would be major 5/7.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:54 am

Yeah, this is why I don't feel like bothering with it on the R53 - I still have some paint correction to do.
I missed a few spots on the :poorvette: and they're noticeable when you look close. :aintcare: but you do want really close attention to detail.
Last edited by ChrisoftheNorth on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:06 pm
:wat:
Forum logged me out, then this happened. I edited but :iono:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So, on the new BMW. What do I have to do to the paint before I CQuartz? Anything?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:20 pm So, on the new BMW. What do I have to do to the paint before I CQuartz? Anything?
Depends what it looks like and how :triggered: you get with paint quality. On a scale of Zil to Crang, where do you fall?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:27 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:20 pm So, on the new BMW. What do I have to do to the paint before I CQuartz? Anything?
Depends what it looks like and how :triggered: you get with paint quality. On a scale of Zil to Crang, where do you fall?
You know I'm in the Zil zone. The paint quality from the factory was straight up fantastic in terms of orange peel very smooth. I don't know whether that was a result of the custom poo brown or whether that is standard roundel issue. I guess I'm wondering whether I have to polish regardless in terms of getting the stuff to adhere properly, I'm a work or I'd just go read the directions I guess.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:36 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:27 pm
You know I'm in the Zil zone. The paint quality from the factory was straight up fantastic in terms of orange peel very smooth. I don't know whether that was a result of the custom poo brown or whether that is standard roundel issue. I guess I'm wondering whether I have to polish regardless in terms of getting the stuff to adhere properly, I'm a work or I'd just go read the directions I guess.
I would personally do a clay and light polish with the DA at a minimum. Also wipe down with iron-x then eraser just before application.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:37 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:36 pm

I would personally do a clay and light polish with the DA at a minimum. Also wipe down with iron-x then eraser just before application.
Right, no substitute for prep.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:40 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:37 pm
Right, no substitute for prep.
Especially with CQuartz. It's worth the extra effort.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:10 pm
Forum logged me out, then this happened. I edited but :iono:
I cleared everyone's sessions and reset the forum cookie to see if it solves the login issue.
Dunno what's different but the only time I've had to re-log like that is after you've cleared it - and then once recently during the times the board has been extremely slow if not completely unresponsive I did get the login page after I'd walked away for 10+ minutes.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:37 pm I would personally do a clay and light polish with the DA at a minimum. Also wipe down with iron-x then eraser just before application.
:dat: Although in my opinion the polish step is purely based on the needs of your paint specifically. My STi didn't need much of a polish outside of a couple light marks on the front of the hood and top of the front bumper, as well as around the roof rails and in front of the sun roof from dealer hacks being too rough with removing the tape residue.

Certainly didn't need to polish the whole car, though.

Did 3 coats of Gyeon Mohs over the weekend including the wheels, headlight, and tails, then I'm going to hit it with their Booster here tonight and then finish off with Cure. Doing my best to keep this crazy soft Subie paint looking good for as long as possible.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I don't see ArmorAll breh.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I polished and CQuartz'd the Beemah last weekend. Took most of Saturday. I'll try and snap some pics. Such radiant poo.