Dat detailing thread, doe.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:42 pm
D Griff wrote:
I think I may try CQuartz out for my winter detailing... the hype on here is pretty strong.

I've researched it a bit, anything I shouldn't miss reading/watching before going for it?
My fear is that we will have to relive the sport alignment fiasco. :rolleyes:

:trollface: :wub:
Probably.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Dude at work was telling me how he's going to clay bar his 05 Forester for the first time and then wax it. The resident know it all on the other side of the cube chimes.

"Ever since cars got clear coats, there's no reason to wax a car."

:triggered:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:29 pm Dude at work was telling me how he's going to clay bar his 05 Forester for the first time and then wax it. The resident know it all on the other side of the cube chimes.

:wtf: :facepalm: :disappoint: :butwhy: :gag: :sass: :rage:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

[user not found] wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:29 pm Dude at work was telling me how he's going to clay bar his 05 Forester for the first time and then wax it. The resident know it all on the other side of the cube chimes.

Hold on while I go pour coke on your unwaxed hood, you troglodyte. :triggered:

I clayed the wife's MINI today and I was amazed at how much shit I pulled off the paint. Pretty sure it finished off my claybar (her car always does... :( ).
So since clay bar is clay, which is mud (wet sand), would you say that it also lightly scuffs the clear a little?
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:58 pm
[user not found] wrote:

I clayed the wife's MINI today and I was amazed at how much shit I pulled off the paint. Pretty sure it finished off my claybar (her car always does... :( ).
So since clay bar is clay, which is mud (wet sand), would you say that it also lightly scuffs the clear a little?
Only if it's not well lubed? :iono:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:58 pm
[user not found] wrote:

I didn't think it was actually clay though. I thought it was synthetic.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:46 pm

The guy is kind of a neanderthal. I should write down all his car opinions. They're actually kind of hilarious.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:15 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:46 pm

The guy is kind of a neanderthal. I should write down all his car opinions. They're actually kind of hilarious.
:doit:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:23 pm

:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:46 pm

in4bread. Shit people non-car people say.
:dat: :doit:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

So I eventually want to clean up my ugly yellow/cloudy headlights...

What do I use for UV protection after I'm done, some kind of clear coat?
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:34 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:50 pm So I eventually want to clean up my ugly yellow/cloudy headlights...

What do I use for UV protection after I'm done, some kind of clear coat?
Pretty much, or a sealant.

This seems to be pretty highly recommended, but not cheap.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-le ... ating.html
Hmmm, that's both more money and less work than I expected. I thought I'd have to do a few coats of rattle can clear and then sand/buff/polish. I know nothing about this stuff.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:41 pm Hmmm, that's both more money and less work than I expected. I thought I'd have to do a few coats of rattle can clear and then sand/buff/polish. I know nothing about this stuff.
You’ll still need to put the time in to de-haze your current headlights. I used the Meguiars headlight kit for the R53 and my mom’s Legacy and it did a fantastic job, especially for it being my first headlight buffing rodeo.
Well yeah, step 1 is surface prep. That part I know how to do. If the finish is as simple as throwing this stuff on and waiting 5 minutes, that might be worth the :troywax: vs shooting multiple coats of clear and sanding/polishing again.
ChrisoftheNorth

I bought the 3m kit for the brahdoe and it was 5/7
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Washed the entire fleet today. Was a great day for it and everything was pretty dirty.

I noticed the CQuartz on the :poorvette: wasn't beading like it used to, and I was expecting to reapply in some areas. I remember :waxer: mentioning all the :bs: in carwash soap that could dull the CQuartz, so I bought a bottle of CarPro Reset shampoo.

A tiny bit goes a really long way, I did all three vehicles with the same wash bucket. Amazingly, it brought back the beading on the :poorvette: like it was just coated. :mindblown: I dried and did a quick Reload wipe down and the car looks incredible over a year after it was coated.

The Volt was coated a few months ago and hasn't been washed since. It's amazing how nice it looks again.

So for those that have CQuartz'd, I highly recommend Reset shampoo.

https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-Reset-Int ... rpro+reset
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Nice recommendation, thanks!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:38 pm Washed the entire fleet today. Was a great day for it and everything was pretty dirty.

I noticed the CQuartz on the :poorvette: wasn't beading like it used to, and I was expecting to reapply in some areas. I remember :waxer: mentioning all the :bs: in carwash soap that could dull the CQuartz, so I bought a bottle of CarPro Reset shampoo.

A tiny bit goes a really long way, I did all three vehicles with the same wash bucket. Amazingly, it brought back the beading on the :poorvette: like it was just coated. :mindblown: I dried and did a quick Reload wipe down and the car looks incredible over a year after it was coated.

The Volt was coated a few months ago and hasn't been washed since. It's amazing how nice it looks again.

O wow.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:38 pm Washed the entire fleet today. Was a great day for it and everything was pretty dirty.

O wow.
Your whole fleet is CQuartz'd isn't it? I highly recommend checking it out. Spendy for car shampoo, but a little goes a really long way and it definitely makes a difference, IMO.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:20 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:57 pm

O wow.
Your whole fleet is CQuartz'd isn't it? I highly recommend checking it out. Spendy for car shampoo, but a little goes a really long way and it definitely makes a difference, IMO.
Only the mullet barge suffers the indignity of conventional wax. I plan to remedy that on a nice weekend in November.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:22 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:20 pm
Only the mullet barge suffers the indignity of conventional wax. I plan to remedy that on a nice weekend in November.
Good man.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I plan on CQuartz-ing the new :truk: when it comes in.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:42 pm I plan on CQuartz-ing the new :truk: when it comes in.
Yep, I did my :truk: the week after I got it. I thought it was going to be worse than it was because of size. I got it done in a day including some basic paint correction in spots that needed it.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Did you have to whip out the DA polisher, or were you able to get them by hand ?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:54 pm Did you have to whip out the DA polisher, or were you able to get them by hand ?
I used the DA because it was faster than doing it by hand. But my paint could have been done by hand, the imperfections were minimal.

I did miss a few spots, but it's a pos :truk: boat so :whocares: I really did it mostly to make it easier to clean.

You should also consider coating your wheels before you put them on.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Melon wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:42 pm I plan on CQuartz-ing the new :truk: when it comes in.