Motorsports Discussion Thread: Race Talk

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:47 am :ohdang:

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/porsche-w ... 1493058499

That's kinda shocking.
:dat: :ohdang: :nuke: :sad:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

That's kinda shocking.
Formula E could be sweet to watch with all of the big racing manufacturers going there. :sad: to see Porsche leaving the top level of Le Mans doe.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:55 am

That's kinda shocking.
Formula E could be sweet to watch with all of the big racing manufacturers going there. :sad: to see Porsche leaving the top level of Le Mans doe.
I'd rather watch soapbox derby.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

That's kinda shocking.
shit.

also formula E is awesome.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:one of the best things about racing are the sounds. :(
:dat:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:24 am I think the premise of Formula E is great...

But one of the best things about racing are the sounds. :(
agree. but if the sport does not adapt it will die.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:24 am I think the premise of Formula E is great...

But one of the best things about racing are the sounds. :(
It probably should die. No one cares about driving anyway.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:57 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
It probably should die. No one cares about driving anyway.
:eeyore:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

That's kinda shocking.
:sad:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:55 am

That's kinda shocking.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

That's kinda shocking.
:(
:butwhy:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Spurred by another COTA outing today. Maybe people here like to talk about legit racing series shit, maybe not. Oh well. Possible subjects that interest me:

WEC
Audi left, Porsche is leaving, and the next season will span 18 months in 2018/19 with what is looking like only one manufacturer in LMP1. COTA, Mexico, and Bahrain got dropped from the calendar and Silverstone returns. Sad, because this was/is my favorite COTA race of the year to see in person. Knew something was up when I found out this year it isn't a night race: noon-6pm as opposed to 5pm-11pm all previous years. I will have gone to this every year at COTA, no regrets. LMP1 and the series as a whole in my mind appears to be on life support.

Formula E
Became a legit fan after traveling to Montreal to see a double race weekend in person this year. Appears to be the current, prettiest girl at the dance seeing as how in the next few seasons Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche will all have works teams in addition to Jaguar (though they might sell/bail, haven't been doing well) and Renault's participation with the powertrain. I'm psyched to see how this series evolves and it looks like it might attract some former F1 talent (Massa next year) in addition to names like Senna, Prost, and others already in the series.

F1.
Duh. Silly season began early this year with McLaren dumping Honda for Renault next year, Toro Rosso picking up Honda, and Sainz moving from TR to Renault as well. Alonso might stick around at McLaren now, who knows. I'm sure there are opinions.

Everything else
I'm game for whatevs - I have a personal quest to see as much different racing series in person at least once, including shit I know I'm not a fan of, like NASCAR. Outside of COTA's schedule, I think I'm going to try and check IndyCar and possibly NASCAR or Red Bull GRC off the list in 2018. Off the top of my head, the larger series I've seen live are Rolex Series/ALMS (waaay back in the day), F1, WEC, Formula E, MotoGP, and Pirelli World Challenge. There's, of course, a ton of support/smaller series in there also: IMSA and F4 and F V8 3.5 today for example. Not a brag, just fodder for discussion. Bucket list? F1 @ Moncao, Le Mans, WRC in some country that interests me. Oh, and V8 Supercars, super bummed I missed it the one year it was at COTA, but that was pre-moving to Austin.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

Third
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:33 pm Spurred by another COTA outing today. Maybe people here like to talk about legit racing series shit, maybe not. Oh well. Possible subjects that interest me:

WEC
Audi left, Porsche is leaving, and the next season will span 18 months in 2018/19 with what is looking like only one manufacturer in LMP1. COTA, Mexico, and Bahrain got dropped from the calendar and Silverstone returns. Sad, because this was/is my favorite COTA race of the year to see in person. Knew something was up when I found out this year it isn't a night race: noon-6pm as opposed to 5pm-11pm all previous years. I will have gone to this every year at COTA, no regrets. LMP1 and the series as a whole in my mind appears to be on life support.

Formula E
Became a legit fan after traveling to Montreal to see a double race weekend in person this year. Appears to be the current, prettiest girl at the dance seeing as how in the next few seasons Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche will all have works teams in addition to Jaguar (though they might sell/bail, haven't been doing well) and Renault's participation with the powertrain. I'm psyched to see how this series evolves and it looks like it might attract some former F1 talent (Massa next year) in addition to names like Senna, Prost, and others already in the series.

F1.
Duh. Silly season began early this year with McLaren dumping Honda for Renault next year, Toro Rosso picking up Honda, and Sainz moving from TR to Renault as well. Alonso might stick around at McLaren now, who knows. I'm sure there are opinions.

Everything else
I'm game for whatevs - I have a personal quest to see as much different racing series in person at least once, including shit I know I'm not a fan of, like NASCAR. Outside of COTA's schedule, I think I'm going to try and check IndyCar and possibly NASCAR or Red Bull GRC off the list in 2018. Off the top of my head, the larger series I've seen live are Rolex Series/ALMS (waaay back in the day), F1, WEC, Formula E, MotoGP, and Pirelli World Challenge. There's, of course, a ton of support/smaller series in there also: IMSA and F4 and F V8 3.5 today for example. Not a brag, just fodder for discussion. Bucket list? F1 @ Moncao, Le Mans, WRC in some country that interests me. Oh, and V8 Supercars, super bummed I missed it the one year it was at COTA, but that was pre-moving to Austin.
Tried this once, nobody cared.

But I'll play.

I used to be a NASCAR fan as a kid, and have seen several races IRL (Bristol, Charlotte x 2, Daytona, Michigan and Indy x 2). I stopped following the series several years ago.. Races are too long, fake cautions, boring cars, etc.

Indycar, meh, cars are boring, very few truly talented drivers. I miss the fire breathing 1000hp CART cars :wap: However, I do think every American racing fan should see Indy at least once. It's a terrible place to actually watch cars, but it's a spectacle.

I still watch F1 on the regular and have since the early 90's (waking up early on Sunday mornings to watch on ESPN). It's unfortunate that the racing isn't close more often, but when they are it's exciting. They're arguably the best drivers in the world.

I enjoy endurance racing, but I think LMP1 is circling the drain which is unfortunate because they are the only cars developing truly cutting edge technology. With that said, the racing in GT is spectacular and I wish it were showcased at times. Mixed class racing has its virtues, but I often wonder how a GTLM based series would fair.

MotoGP, WSBK, MotoAmerica, yes, all of them, and then some.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Alright well if it dies, it dies.

I watch 0 NASCAR, but I just have an affinity for racing, I get that it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm a racing fan enough to see it in person. I've watched some IndyCar and find it slightly less boring. I would probably opt to go to a road course race unless it was the 500 itself and the spectacle that brings. We'll see.

I should watch more motorcycle racing than just MotoGP. I paid for their streaming service this year and it has been meh. The quality isn't keeping up, and I'm pretty sure it isn't on my end because I have dat high fiber Google internets.

If there's a Formula E race within a reasonable difference I'd give it a try. The sound is so weird but cool and the road courses are decent. The talent isn't top tier, but good - some of the drivers are doing double duty in WEC - and the racing is closer and often much more interesting than anything FIA outside of LMP1.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

[user not found] wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:51 amBread merged.
The hero we needed right now.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Annnnnnnnnnd F1 quali spoiled by the announcer <5 mins after arriving for WEC at COTA today. :bruh:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:50 pm Annnnnnnnnnd F1 quali spoiled by the announcer <5 mins after arriving for WEC at COTA today. :bruh:
:lolol: watching Q3 now.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

I almost forgot how good the GT Aston Martins sound in person. Oh my. : jimp:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:32 pm I almost forgot how good the GT Aston Martins sound in person. Oh my. : jimp:
I wish broadcasters would focus on better sound quality for at home audiences. NASCAR was always pretty good at that.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:38 pm
4zilch wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:37 pm

I wish broadcasters would focus on better sound quality for at home audiences. NASCAR was always pretty good at that.
Dat TURN IT UP flyby cam.
:lolol: :dat:
troyguitar

The sound is my favorite part of real race cars/bikes - at least the ones left that still sound cool. I never got to see F1 in person before the turbro era and now have no real interest in going. I want to go to some of the vintage events sometime :doe:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:00 pm The sound is my favorite part of real race cars/bikes - at least the ones left that still sound cool. I never got to see F1 in person before the turbro era and now have no real interest in going. I want to go to some of the vintage events sometime :doe:
I'm glad I saw that. I was amazed at how loud it was. Like, I've done many NHRA top fuel events..... it was like close to that (but obviously different pitch)
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:00 pm The sound is my favorite part of real race cars/bikes - at least the ones left that still sound cool. I never got to see F1 in person before the turbro era and now have no real interest in going. I want to go to some of the vintage events sometime :doe:
I am thrilled that I got to experience F1 in Canadia before the turbo era. Also, the vintage formula cars running as a support race was awesome! Those guys wheel the hell out of those super expensive cars.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:59 pm
I'm glad I saw that. I was amazed at how loud it was. Like, I've done many NHRA top fuel events..... it was like close to that (but obviously different pitch)

F1 v10 era was very loud. Up close MotoGP is about that loud too.

Nothing quite like top fuel :doe: Its shockingly loud.